• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

REZ INFINITE coming to PSVR!

todahawk

dear lord I can't wait.
789.gif

Shin-Ra

I bought Child of Eden for £5, only played a couple of levels but I'm not liking how busy it looks compared to Rez. Lots of sparkly eye candy but so much going on it's harder to focus on what's important.

Shin-Ra

YouTube kills the quality but it's an improvement!

There's a press kit here with PNG screenshots, logos, photos, the texture comparison and more.
RezInfinite_logo50.png

Key members of the original development team and independent development studio Monstars, are banding together to perfect this version of Rez they’ve dreamt about since day one. Game details for Rez Infinite include the following:
  • Five different levels and unlockable missions, each with its own unique visual theme, style and audio tracks including artists Coldcut, Adam Freeland, Joujouka, Ken Ishii, Oval, Ebizoo and Keiichi Sugiyama (SEGA’s Wave Master)
  • Take control, connect with your avatar and prepare yourself for the swarm of enemies on- screen via the PS4 or PlayStation VR for the ultimate 360-degree audiovisual experience
  • Crystal clear textures and razor sharp lines at full 1080p HD
  • Silky-smooth 60fps motion (PS4) and 120fps (PlayStation VR)
  • Full 3D audio and full 7.1 surround sound support
  • Brand new, original content under code name “Area X”

eh...This looks kind of terrible? This game is ancient, even in 60fps/1080p.

Yes I own the game. have for well over a decade. Yes I still have my copy.

Why not use child of eden for this? that game is VASTLY superior.

anothertech

I liked Child of Eden!

I think REZ was a better game though,I definitely hope they upgrade some of REZ visuals and effects.

CLEEK

Cutting it fine. There's less that two weeks left. But Manmademan swoops in at the last minute to make the worst post of the year.

D3VI0US

In what way? The music was awful and you have to nail that part in a rythm game, also to me the levels weren't as fun and I didn't have the desire to play them over and over for the perfect run like I did in Rez.

Super stoked for Area X and hopefully it's successful enough that they can continue to make new content via DLC or a sequel.

Pack it up guys, it's an old game and so it's worthless.

KiraXD

Not even close. I love CoE, but the game is a mess. Rez was nigh-on perfect, and now will be.

Agreed.

I was pretty disappointed in CoE after being a HUGE Rez fan... i really wanted more of the digital look and sound from Rez rather than a Genki Rockets interactive music video that i felt Child of Eden was... kinda a big difference from the soundtrack of Rez. Sure CoE LOOKED good graphically... but art direction was a far cry from what i loved about Rez.

Ogni-XR21

I have fond memories of playing Child of Eden on a 3D TV, especially stage 2. Would love to play that in VR. Here's hoping that we see CoE for VR if Rez Infinite does well.

But I totally agree, Rez is the better game.

Guys, I haven't been the same since I played it at PSX. I'm still thirsting for more. I only got to do Area 1, and it cut off at the boss battle. I've done a LOT of VR experiences, but that was the most satisfying thing I've ever played in VR.

SnowTeeth

Banned

It's great that people can have opinions...

Shin-Ra

I've been learning to use object modifiers in Blender to get perfect smooth curves (subdiv surface) and sharp edges (edge crease and split) and these turned out pretty nice.

25131866380_21f3d220d3_o.png

Shin-Ra

Those both look great.
Cheers. I'm thinking about modelling some simple Rez ships and pickups for starter practice and then maybe move onto recreating the UI in VR-friendly 3D.

25434711196_0d6bac4ab6_o.png

The perspective and depth of lettering disrupts some of the curves here but it was challenging enough getting it lit/shaded cleanly.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So yeah, I own Rez for my Dreamcast and have enjoyed playing it off and on for over a decade now, but I never knew they made other versions of the game? And now a 1080p "sequel" is coming out for the PS4, and it will have fucking VR support?

Woah......I'm a PC only gamer but THAT just might tempt me into buying a PS4.....

Shin-Ra

Gamesradar: VR unlocks the true vision of Rez Infinite
The PS VR headset adds an interesting wrinkle, letting you look to aim - but you're still able to move the crosshair with the left stick, as in the classic control scheme. The latter is my preferred method of play, as it's the most familiar to my muscle memory, while still allowing me to giddily gaze around in pure awe of my kaleidoscopic surroundings. And though looking in one direction and moving in another has been known to trigger nausea in some VR games, the steady, constant movement in a singular direction seems to completely counteract any would-be motion sickness.

Speaking of story elements, Mizuguchi's postmortem’s talk at GDC 2016 reveals an interesting insight into the narrative that drives Rez forward. Not only is Rez a representation of a hacker seeking out and revitalizing Eden - it's also an allegory for the universal odyssey that brought about our existence as individuals. That is to say: our humble beginnings as a singular sperm seeking out an egg, hoping to unite and create new life. Suddenly, so much of the abstract imagery in Rez makes sense. The hacker's subtly male-shaped avatar contrasting with the distinctly feminine Eden; the lowest and highest evolution forms resembling a single cell; the fact that you can morph into a chrome fetus during the finale of Area 5.

And that narrative is being expanded for Rez Infinite, in the form of an entirely new sixth stage named Area X. "If conception is the theme of the original Rez, then in Area X, what we're envisioning is what happens after the conception, which is going to be birth," says Mizuguchi.

Ogni-XR21

Thanks for posting, always love reading about Rez.

In the article they mention the Rez postmortem at GDC, unfortunately I can't find a video of it anywhere. I'm sure that would be very interesting to watch.

Indelible

This is one of the few games that is getting me excited for PSVR, This is exactly the type of game I want to see in VR.

Timeless

Thanks for posting, always love reading about Rez.

In the article they mention the Rez postmortem at GDC, unfortunately I can't find a video of it anywhere. I'm sure that would be very interesting to watch.
It's probably in the GDC vault, but may be paywalled like most GDC vault videos.

Ogni-XR21

Official GDC recording of Tetsuya Mizuguchi's REZ postmortem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtSaFsMKrkI

I won't be offended if someone starts a new thread!

Thanks a lot for that link. At the end they show concept art for area x. I think I saw these somewhere before but could not find them over a quick search in this thread so I grabbed them from the video.

Are we thinking launch title?

In the GDC speech he mentions that they try everything to make it for launch and back then it was still considered a release for the first half of 2016 so it hopefully will be ready for October.

Top Bottom