• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

REZ INFINITE coming to PSVR!

REZ is one of my favorite games of all time, and I had very high expectations when I went into the demo. Those expectations were met and exceeded.

The 3D depth of the waveforms coming at you and the enemies swirling around you was something I've been wanting since I first tried a VR headset. When you turn all the way around and look behind you, you can see the waveforms drifting off into the distance. With the nice bass heavy headphones they put on me, I forgot about three minutes in that I was at aa show with thousands of other people.

Controls are great and incredibly simple, just as expected. I feel like the ps4 joystick handles the reticle a little smoother than previous versions of REZ, and it can be used in conjunction with head tracking for aiming. It felt really good, and I was able to line up huge chains of enemies with ease.

Now: Drawbacks. Every time the game's camera shifted perspective as its scripted to do I felt a jarring disconnect. Not so strong that it threw me off for more than a moment, but I think that can cause people some issue. Also a personal problem, the first level didn't have the boss battle in this demo. Bummer.

I spoke with someone that has been aware of the project for a long time, and they told me the game had started as REZ 2, but didn't tell me anything else about it. That leads me to think that Area X and whatever additional additions might be more substantial than a one off.

Anyway, I can't believe a single game sold me on PSVR, but it has. I'm there day one (of REZ Infinite).

mcw

I was in the audience for the keynote on Saturday. Something weird happened in my brain when the trailer started and I recognized the audio from Rez, and then I realized that they were talking about a version of Rez for PSVR. I loved Rez, but haven't thought about it in a long time. But the idea of Rez in VR was such a powerful one that I was a little overwhelmed by it.

Then we watched Miz play through a demo of the game, as you saw in the keynote video. I've never had the experience of watching that game being played as part of a big audience, with the music blasting through extremely large speakers. It moved me to tears, which I hadn't expected at all.

Throughout the weekend I kept coming back to the PSVR booth, hoping to get another glimpse of Rez Infinite. Demos were by appointment only, though they did eventually allow folks to wait in a standby line; you'd be let in one by one, whenever they happened to have an available spot due to someone not showing up for an appointment or some such. Each time I was directed to a different game.

Then, on Sunday afternoon, I finally got in to play Rez Infinite. It's Rez, which is already great, except that you can't see anything that isn't Rez. Everywhere you look, it's Rez. It feels like someone built a dark ride at Disney World based on Rez and you're on it. As soon as it was over, I immediately wanted to go back.

Only the press got to check out the suit, so I don't know about that, but I'd pay a lot of money for a PSVR at this point if only for Rez.

Then we watched Miz play through a demo of the game, as you saw in the keynote video. I've never had the experience of watching that game being played as part of a big audience, with the music blasting through extremely large speakers. It moved me to tears, which I hadn't expected at all.
I believe it. I was sitting on my couch at home and I got chills during that presentation.

lol

n9vKbRo.png
Damn that's a fine shop.

Shaneus

So that 12 minute interview with some Sony interviewer and Miz was painful to watch. It's common enough knowledge to know he's somewhat limited in English and using stupid terms like "kid in a candy store" could well go over his head, never mind him endlessly talking euphemistically. Ugh. Still, some good info though.

I was in the audience for the keynote on Saturday. Something weird happened in my brain when the trailer started and I recognized the audio from Rez, and then I realized that they were talking about a version of Rez for PSVR. I loved Rez, but haven't thought about it in a long time. But the idea of Rez in VR was such a powerful one that I was a little overwhelmed by it.

I saw Mizuguchi do a talk at ACMI in Melbourne three years ago and got to experience watching him play it live. I'm sure I have video of it somewhere, it was quite fantastic to watch not only the creator play it, but watch it being played on such a massive, fuckoff screen.

I too got overwhelmed by the news as well. I shit you not, I think I may have shed a tear or two I was so happy. Mind you, it was 6am and I'd just woken up, so that's my excuse ;)

Thanks for the impressions!

PS. Interesting you talk about it like being on a ride. Rez Infinite isn't Mizuguchi's first foray into VR... he designed a ride for Sega World (it was in Sydney, but I think it also appeared in Japan) that involved multiple people in the ride all with headsets, moving seats and (from memory) a spaceship.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've only seen the keynote video, but there it didn't really look like this was doing anything with VR at all. Didn't see any signs of head tracking, etc. So is it just 3D, and not really VR (there's a huge difference)? Am I missing something?

DavidDesu

Not sure if that's native or reprojected. Anyone know?

From the little reveal article on the PlayStation site it sounds very much like it's native 120fps. I mean 120fps is of course the optimum and Rez is the MOST likely game that can easily be rendered at that framerate. It would be madness for it not to be a 120fps native title hence why I believe, from all I can see, that it just must be.

GloveSlap

I can't believe the idea of Rez in VR never occurred to me, its so perfect. When i read the title I was hoping for a sequel though. Still an amazing announcement, but hopefully they can add on a couple of more levels.

mcw

I've only seen the keynote video, but there it didn't really look like this was doing anything with VR at all. Didn't see any signs of head tracking, etc. So is it just 3D, and not really VR (there's a huge difference)? Am I missing something?

Head tracking's part of it. You can look anywhere you want. The demo I played took me through the first ten minutes or so of the game... I remember not bothering to shoot an enemy, and just turning my head to watch it glide past me. You can hold the controller and play the game as usual, and you can also look at enemies to target them, but in my limited time with the game I was primarily using the head tracking to look around and examine different parts of the world.

Yes you're missing a lot. =) While you're traveling through the world you can look in any direction and also that's how you aim.

Man, I cannot wait to play the Area 4 boss in VR.

I'll probably quit gaming after Rez Infinite. I mean, after that, why bother playing anything else, lol.

First of all, Day One. I enjoy Rez though I wouldn't say I'm a superfan. But playing this in VR sounds so good.

My buddy and I were talking about this a few weeks ago (we both own PS4s). He was leery of VR partially because he didn't see many AAA games announced for it and I told him "imagine once indie devs get a hold of this thing. Screw AAA. Imagine once an indie dev decides to make a TRON-like game or [we had just downloaded the PS4 version] Kromaia or something like that...."

And then they announce Rez. Seriously though, I can't wait for VR. I think the technology has room to improve but I finally feel like it's "good enough" for the average consumer.

Shaneus

So, is there going to be a range of merchandise (re)released for this or what? Because I remember some badass t-shirts going around when it first came out and I never had a chance to get one. I'd also buy the soundtrack on CD (or vinyl!!!) if they cleared the sample from that particular song for Fear.

Oppo

I'm LTTP but... man. that is like the perfect hipster gamer deep cut for VR. I put myself in that camp.

GG Sony

edit - Rez is a pretty interesting argument in favour of VR when people talk about graphical fidelity hits and overhead. it's almost purely abstract; operates quite actually in a different visual space

Now: Drawbacks. Every time the game's camera shifted perspective as its scripted to do I felt a jarring disconnect. Not so strong that it threw me off for more than a moment, but I think that can cause people some issue

So it still has those parts where the camera automatically focuses on something? Because that's a massive no-no in VR, really quick way to cause motion sickness. Or do you mean something else?

I spoke with someone that has been aware of the project for a long time, and they told me the game had started as REZ 2, but didn't tell me anything else about it. That leads me to think that Area X and whatever additional additions might be more substantial than a one off.

Whoah. That's a mega ton level rumour.

Anyway, I can't believe a single game sold me on PSVR, but it has. I'm there day one (of REZ Infinite).

I might have to agree. I sold my PS4, but this could get me to buy one back.

tusken77

This week's Bombcast features a 20 minute discussion about REZ. Jeff, Brad and Dan all played the demo with the suit and they discuss their experience very enthusiastically.

Shaneus

This week's Bombcast features a 20 minute discussion about REZ. Jeff, Brad and Dan all played the demo with the suit and they discuss their experience very enthusiastically.
Are you sure that's Jeff on there? ;) I wonder if any of the Beastcast guys cover it as well.

Shaneus

Now Im curious if the game even uses polygons or just drawn lines similar to demoscene stuff.
I'd just say infinitely better compression.

Edit: Oh, you meant the line-drawn stuff. If it's anything like TxK, it could be using a teeny, tiny texture to do it. Apparently it's the only one in the game and it's only a few hundred bytes (it just gets repeated or stretched or something I guess).

Shaneus

I think you mean California Soul? Classic sample.
Yup. I only found out about it (and why it was omitted from the OST) a day or two when I actually looked into it. Glad they managed to clear it for each the 360 and PS4 versions.

I can only hope we might get a Vita version out of this too.

Kyonashi

I spoke with someone that has been aware of the project for a long time, and they told me the game had started as REZ 2, but didn't tell me anything else about it.

they told me the game had started as REZ 2

the game had started as REZ 2

Not even something I would have wished for in my wildest dreams. The idea we're getting a whole new area and it could be fairly substantial is wholly fucking exciting.

Top Bottom