• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - 15 min 'Siberian Wilderness' [1080p] Gameplay Demo

Raide

Looks like it's going to be more or less the same game as the previous one. Disappointing and unsurprising in equal parts.

I dunno, we could wait for more than just 20 mins of the tutorial part of the game. Ya know, maybe they might have some Tomb Raiding in it!

While not exclusive to TR, amazing how people can see how an entire game will turn out from 20 mins of footage. Would sure make reviewing games way easier!

Fucking hell. I knew those wolves were robots.

If you don't have to push forwards for those gifs, the game is fucked.

Bloody hell, what a shit complaint. Would you prefer this guy?

Fozzie_Bear_3.png

If the Foz doesn't make the cut then TR is a no-go as far as I am concerned.

Quotient

I dunno, we could wait for more than just 20 mins of the tutorial part of the game. Ya know, maybe they might have some Tomb Raiding in it!

While not exclusive to TR, amazing how people can see how an entire game will turn out from 20 mins of footage. Would sure make reviewing games way easier!

The game is out in less than 6 months this is the time to convince people to buy - Naughty Dog did a significantly better job at building hype that Crystal Dynamics.

Lt.Chips

One interesting thing about this Holiday 2015 exclusivity is that the deal prohibits ROTR to be delayed at all. The game must be released during the holidays.

Here's hoping that CD has has enough time, and are not forced to rush the game out...

Raide

The game is out in less than 6 months this is the time to convince people to buy - Naughty Dog did a significantly better job at building hype that Crystal Dynamics.

ND showed people they are making an Uncharted sequel with some new "Open world" elements. Looked exactly like an Uncharted game, even down to the odd melee combat and poor gunplay. (Personal opinion of course. Some people utterly love Uncharted.)

I am withholding judgment on TR for now because I want to see how the Tomb Raiding part of the game works out, since I know the survival stuff looks fine. From what little was show, it looks like a sequel to the last TR game, so I want to see them go back to the roots and flesh it out and make it more than just an action set-piece eye-candy extravaganza like Uncharted.

eot

Banned

If the 20 minutes of the game that they decide to use to promote it look like they could've come straight out of the previous game, then I don't think it's a stretch to assume the rest of the game isn't going to be dramatically different. I see that it has auto-platforming like the first one, an emphasis on combat like the first one, over the top (not) dramatic set pieces like the first one etc. What more do I need to know? Expanding the puzzle segments (if that's something they do) won't stop it from being "more or less the same". Besides, using one successful game as a design framework for 2-4 sequels is what everyone one does these days. What reason do I have to give them the benefit of the doubt?

Raide

If the 20 minutes of the game that they decide to use to promote it look like they could've come straight out of the previous game, then I don't think it's a stretch to assume the rest of the game isn't going to be dramatically different. I see that it has auto-platforming like the first one, an emphasis on combat like the first one, over the top (not) dramatic set pieces like the first one etc. What more do I need to know? Expanding the puzzle segments (if that's something they do) won't stop it from being "more or less the same". Besides, using one successful game as a design framework for 2-4 sequels is what everyone one does these days. What reason do I have to give them the benefit of the doubt?

Well, its tough to show off everything a game contains in 20 mins. For some games that is easy because they can wrap up their core gameplay loop and people know what to expect. What they showed off is what fans of the last TR game wanted but more of it. The last game was good but the lack of actual Tomb Raiding is what I hope is in this one.

Unless they show off more, it sounds like your mind is already made up. Maybe they will show off more of the classic TR stuff at Gamescom in August, which is very likely since its 6 months away.

Quotient

ND showed people they are making an Uncharted sequel with some new "Open world" elements. Looked exactly like an Uncharted game, even down to the odd melee combat and poor gunplay. (Personal opinion of course. Some people utterly love Uncharted.)

I am withholding judgment on TR for now because I want to see how the Tomb Raiding part of the game works out, since I know the survival stuff looks fine. From what little was show, it looks like a sequel to the last TR game, so I want to see them go back to the roots and flesh it out and make it more than just an action set-piece eye-candy extravaganza like Uncharted.

It makes sense to withhold judgement until the game is out. I just personally feel that Naughty Dog did a much better job at getting fans and the press excited for their game, whereas i couldn't say the same for Crystal Dynamics. I feel like we have seen more of the Uncharted 4, including variety, then we have for ROTR.

Hopefully Crystal Dynamics will be showing us more of this game, and that they have an aggressive marketing campaign lined up as they are going to be going up against some big games in fall.

Raide

It makes sense to withhold judgement until the game is out. I just personally feel that Naughty Dog did a much better job at getting fans and the press excited for their game, whereas i couldn't say the same for Crystal Dynamics. I feel like we have seen more of the Uncharted 4, including variety, then we have for ROTR.

Hopefully Crystal Dynamics will be showing us more of this game, and that they have an aggressive marketing campaign lined up as they are going to be going up against some big games in fall.

While not an exclusive in the real sense, MS are going to make sure that everyone that wants TR will have to buy it on Xbox One. Sure its coming down the line for other formats but MS has to convince people.

Personally, I have never really liked the Uncharted games. Too much emphasis on combat and flash set-pieces. Which is ironic since that is the direction TR has been going in. Not just TR either, many games are going the showboat route. I guess that's just a products of seeing popular games sell, so developers try to emulate it.

What I found annoying is that the enemies still sounded like cartoon villains and not actual soldiers or mercenaries. The previous game didn't have that great a story, the cast was really annoying, and the writing was bad. This particular demo doesn't make me confident that they have learnt much from their previous outing.

I think the game looks great but if I have any complaint it's this.

I feel like if the enemies seemed like actual people and not melodramatically evil goons it's would feel so much more grounded and effective.

You would presume they would show off some of the better parts of the game when trying to sell us on a product, when the two demos they've shown are 'crap' and 'meh' in that order it really doesn't inspire confidence in the product.

And if it had real tomb raiding they would have shown that off, we'll probably get tombs with action and gunfights in them, maybe a repeat of the last games puzzles that have big icons you cannot miss telling you what to do and are literally solved in 30 seconds.

Ugh. Yeah? You know, Tomb Raider's been at this videogame, movie thing for a while. Or do you want them to bring back sharp knees, dual pistols, and mountain lions? Its natural progression of the genre. Storytelling with action elements and combat.

Natural progression for the genre? It was platform and puzzle game, now it is a cinematic third person shooter with platforming for dummies elements.

That isn't an evolution, it is a genre switch.

Journey

Banned
You would presume they would show off some of the better parts of the game when trying to sell us on a product, when the two demos they've shown are 'crap' and 'meh' in that order it really doesn't inspire confidence in the product.

And if it had real tomb raiding they would have shown that off, we'll probably get tombs with action and gunfights in them, maybe a repeat of the last games puzzles that have big icons you cannot miss telling you what to do and are literally solved in 30 seconds.

Natural progression for the genre? It was platform and puzzle game, now it is a cinematic third person shooter with platforming for dummies elements.

That isn't an evolution, it is a genre switch.

Call it what you want, but the last Tomb Raider was fantastic! and I can't wait to play this one. Game of the year contender for me :)

Lt.Chips

What I'd like to see in ROTR is a sandbox mode in which you can select a map, place enemies, and set a goal (kill a specific enemy, kill all enemies, get to a goal, etc.).

Given that the best part of TR was its stealth-based combat (better than Batman's predator sections IMO), I can see myself having so much fun playing these levels, silent-killing them all with the bow and arrow.

I'm not keeping my hopes up, though.

reKon

Banned
While not an exclusive in the real sense, MS are going to make sure that everyone that wants TR will have to buy it on Xbox One. Sure its coming down the line for other formats but MS has to convince people.

Personally, I have never really liked the Uncharted games. Too much emphasis on combat and flash set-pieces. Which is ironic since that is the direction TR has been going in. Not just TR either, many games are going the showboat route. I guess that's just a products of seeing popular games sell, so developers try to emulate it.

Have you played The Last of Us? Did you think that Uncharted 2 was a better overall experience than the rest of games in the series? If you have then you should understand why people who have played games in the series are actually excited for what they're seeing from Uncharted 4. The whole enemy encounter aspect that's being brought over from TLoU is a significant game changer. You now have combat scenario's where you're encourage to be creative and move through encounters turning it into a huge cat and mouse game where enemies can lose you and verticality becomes a bigger part of the gameplay. Contextual stealth and melee also will make the game way more dynamic.

This something that Last of Us did so well and made it still fun to play through 2nd and 3rd times. The fact that the Uncharted 2 director's are making this means that the game will likely be paced very well and have a solid story. Maybe they'll throw in some cool puzzle type levels like the Ice one in Uncharted 2.

With TR 2, I think the fact that they're borrowing the survival gameplay elements from Last of Us in order to create weaponry that's upgradable is pretty awesome should help keep the game more interesting. The game could also benefit from a big upgrade in AI (not sure on the progress made here). Like I mention before, the biggest disappointment for me is the use of dialogue from what I'm seeing this TR2. I would be highly annoyed if much of game is filled with Lara talking to herself

With TR 2, I think the fact that they're borrowing the survival gameplay elements from Last of Us in order to create weaponry that's upgradable
is pretty awesome should help keep the game more interesting. The game could also benefit from a big upgrade in AI (not sure on the progress made here). Like I mention before, the biggest disappointment for me is the use of dialogue from what I'm seeing this TR2. I would be highly annoyed if much of game is filled with Lara talking to herself

Not sure why you would say that because upgradable weaponry was in the original TR reboot and that came out two months before TloU on the PS3.

I like both the uncharted and TR series, but I understand when things change from the original formula how it may not go over well with some. I feel that there will be something to fill the gap if an opening is created as long as enough time passes.

FATALITY

Banned

would you mind explain this part?

While I think that this game will follow the formula of its preceding episode, you must concede that an E3 demo usually tends to show off the more "cinematic" aspect of a game, you can hardly imagine them showing 15 minutes of Lara trying to figure out how to solve a puzzle in a cave scarcely lighted...

Game4life

Banned
How does this look mediocre and uninspiring in any way? Gamers baffle the hell out of me sometimes.

It looks like it will be a great game.

That looks mediocre because the gameplay is mediocre. That segment just involved pushing forward on a stick and pressing x. No player agency and no challenge while being presented with a false sense of helplessness and visual tension.

While I think that this game will follow the formula of its preceding episode, you must concede that an E3 demo usually tends to show off the more "cinematic" aspect of a game, you can hardly imagine them showing 15 minutes of Lara trying to figure out how to solve a puzzle in a cave scarcely lighted...

The previous game was riddled with set pieces. It was not like some throwaway part of the game that the player could avoid. If the player is going to be bombarded with these set peices and cinematic aspects throughout the game it better be well constructed and respect the fact that it is a game while providing some challenge and control to the player.

Poona

I never really played the old skool tomb raiders - only had a ps2 very briefly - but are there any modern equivalents to the old style TR?

How modern do you want? You can always play the three Tomb Raider games released on 360/PC or as a collection on PS3. Tomb raider: Legend, Tomb Raider: Anniversary and Tomb raider: underworld.

I know video and all, but I just can't see how the hell she did pull a jump like that. It's just fucking impossible.
Have you not played Assassins creed games? Pretty common in those.

I don't understand why they made her do that. At least they could have made her climb quickly to that ledge and jump from there and just barely get hold on that ice.

That looks mediocre because the gameplay is mediocre. That segment just involved pushing forward on a stick and pressing x. No player agency and no challenge while being presented with a false sense of helplessness and visual tension.

This can be said about 99% of the video games today, there is absolutely zero fucking innovations today, they splice many genres together and call it innovation because they ran out of ideas, but this is just how i see video games, i am sure someone younger is having a blast with video games, but from this old gamer point of view games are boring, I think i need a new hobby... :)))

Chobel

Have you not played Assassins creed games? Pretty common in those.

I don't understand why they made her do that. At least they could have made her climb quickly to that ledge and jump from there and just barely get hold on that ice.

You don't jump that high in AC games, or at least I didn't.

KORNdoggy

i love the snow and hair tech...the rest though looks an awful lot like the definitive edition...ie. a cross gen title. which doesn't really cut it with me anymore. not 2 years into the generation at least. more importantly though they need to demo a part of the game that looks legitimately excellent. not just visually but gameplay wise. maybe their improved tombs will be that moment? but right now i'm seeing an incimental update. this is the uncharted 3 to uncharted 2 so far. i'll play it. enjoy it. but it's wow factor has gone.

emalord

Seems like the "mutual exchange" of mechanics and ideas between ND and CD is still happening: like Uncharted2, snow is the tech-queen of the second installment. So I guess we'll have sands for the third
/slightly trolling here

Rolfgang

I do hope we see eventually some more advanced crafting mechanics, opposed to 'pick mushrooms to poison cloud' (how does that even work, by the way?).

GlamFM

Banned
This and Forza on XBOX ONE + Fallout 4 and The Taken King on PS4 means that 2/3 of my consoles will be pretty busy this holiday.

TR looks AMAZING.

Just watched this, really can't wait to play it. I loved the last TR game and this just looks even more varied and fun. My Xbox One is ready!

How does this look mediocre and uninspiring in any way? Gamers baffle the hell out of me sometimes.
Its awesome at recreating a movie scene but its barely interactive. You could be almost a vegetable and still make your way through that moment of artificial tension. Artificial tension in that the moment was neither caused by player actions or choices or creativity, nor is the challenge overcome by them.

It looks nice though. Evocative stuff.

rhandino

Banned
Ugh, that gameplay trailer made me do it!

nsg2aT0.png

I rented it when it came out and played at full during Holy Week, I was obsessed with this game because the setting was so fascinating, Lara was awesome and the gameplay is (imho) so fucking good, I swear is one of the best Third Person Shooters I ever played, and the only thing I missed was the lack of more optional Tombs / Dungeons to raid and more purpose to the collecting of resources.

Now I am sold on this new one. Hopefully I can get a One soon because it looks awesome =D

Top Bottom