• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - 15 min 'Siberian Wilderness' [1080p] Gameplay Demo

FLAguy954

I'm watching the video now and I am legit amazed at the fluidity of Lara's animations (probably some of the best animations I have seen this gen) and the superb use of weather and graphic effects to convey the atmosphere.

II was very impressed and will be picking this up when it hits PC.

Considering we're talking about how 'sandboxy' the combat is, yes, during combat kind of matters.

Here is Shanty Town during story/combat. Very linear with enemies all grouped, the rest of level is wasted space that not used except for collectables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OayMvng-l74

all this video shows is the guy playing choose to play it that way.

starting at the 6:00ish mark is where you can use that wasted space and move around, be "sandboxy" and not just sit behind cover. It's how I played it. i didn't play that part like this guy.

dude just stop it. your relentless attack on rotr and defense and propaganda for Uc is unbelievable. you come in here trying to regulate peoples excitement about the game the very thread is about, and then post an Uncharted video 6 - 7 times.... like seriously!? how is this dude not banned. smh.

<edit> make that 8 times.

Or else you'll do what? I really find it funny when people go around making demands of others on the internet. It's just really weird especially when you don't know the person or have any control over their actions. Also, nice backseat modding.

ItIsOkBro

Gameplay injury not the same as cutscene injury.

When Drake or Joel take cutscene injuries the story makes them pay for it. Lara never did, in fact that hole in her gut was forgot about for mostly of the game until suddenly the writers seem to remember it for 5 minutes, then it was fixed and good as gold again.

This is exploring the area after the story/combat in this area is over and returned there when have equipement to reach further spots. When you go through it as part of story you do not have such freedom.

That's not true, when you arrive at Shanty Town you already have rope arrows and a shotun. The only thing is the two halves are divided at the beginning.

Mononoke

Banned
Frustration

Actually, the first time I replied to you - you didn't mention the place by name. No excuse for latest reply, as you had mentioned Shanty Town to someone else in a later reply and I had not read that one. But since I asked if that is what you meant, I should have saw you mentioned it later on (once I said my reply, I didn't follow your exchange with others).

Still think you move through this section in a linear way, and don't see it as sand box(y) in terms of how you interact with it. But I know you wanted that argument dropped. My last reply wasn't meant to make you annoyed or keep it going. I was actually asking in good faith/intention. I guess I stepped right in the middle of something I shouldn't have replied to. My apologies.

Glad you love TR though. Always nice to see it get some love on here, when not everyone was a fan.

Or else you'll do what? I really find it funny when people go around making demands of others on the internet. It's just really weird especially when you don't know the person or have any control over their actions. Also, nice backseat modding.

i think you are taking the words "dude just stop it" a little to seriously...and also implying threat when there is no such threat. smh. I really find it funny when people take common phrases like "oh shut up" or "get out of here" in the most harshest of ways as if it the intent is "you must comply or I will do something to you."

But my point still stands that you move through the area in a linear way, it's not very sand box (y) in terms of how you actually interact with it.

actually it is, if you choose to sit behind cover the whole time, it may appear that way, but, you can also choose to play it in a "sandboxy" way as well during the fight section. and once the fight is over, it still remains open.

all this video shows is the guy playing choose to play it that way.

starting at the 6:00ish mark is where you can use that wasted space and move around, be "sandboxy" and not just sit behind cover. It's how I played it. i didn't play that part like this guy.

The enemies are all around one area of the map, you cannot go where you please and fight them, and trying to reach several areas will just get you shot and killed because too exposed.

The enemies are all around one area of the map, you cannot go where you please and fight them, and trying to reach several areas will just get you shot and killed because too exposed.

actually you can, and you will get shot and killed if you stand out in the open not moving. but if you are moving you can avoid dying.

I played that part in a "sandboxy" way, you can't tell me how I played the damn game. smh

Isn't the start of this just the same demo they shown off for the last game only everything is snowy? Also it's disappointing that they kept the same writers for the dialogue, would have though they would at least improved it.

Game still looks good though even for a cross-gen title. Hope it comes to PS4 soon.

Oh so you skipped past an unskippable scripted event?

we are talking about the combat section and how I as a player choose to handle the combat in that section. what are you even talking about? how do you go from discussing the combat section and how combat was handled by the player in that section and start using "unskippable events" as a rebuttal? makes no damn sense

smh

Quotient

I enjoyed the Tomb Raider reboot, i played it late last year on the PS4, though I have to admit this just looks identical to that, I was hoping to see what the next step would be in and it seems they haven't taken the next step.

People are going to hate the comparison, but it is bound to happen, especially with both ROTR and UC4 being released within 6 or so months of each other, but the of the demos/video that have come out of E3, the UC4 demo really is on another level. If Crystal Dynamics told me this was a DLC level for the previous Tomb Raider i would not have been surprised.

Anyhow, I hope Crystal Dynamics have kept the best parts of the game secret, otherwise from what they have shown it will be a good game, but it won't take the step to the next level.

Game4life

Banned
Shantytown was one of the worst designed combat areas in the game. The enemy placement and AI routines totally bring down whatever level size that area had going for it.

we are talking about the combat section and how I as a player choose to handle the combat in that section. what are you even talking about? how do you go from discussing the combat section and how combat was handled by the player in that section and start using "unskippable events" as a rebuttal? makes no damn sense

smh

If you really ran around it all during combat you'd know what I mean. The problem with fiction is it is prone to making errors.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Dude! Game looks fucking incredible! I love the new gameplay elements and the atmosphere -- I was actually a bit worried about this from the lack of gameplay shown but this makes me feel a lot better.

Spinluck

And 360, and PS4, and maybe PS3, who knows.

I could have sworn MS said "only on Xbox," but maybe it actually said "only on Xbox these Holidays!" Lol.

Link to that please?

Posters on the first page have been saying it, one said that the game is apparently exclusive only for the Holidays. Should be easy to find them, gonna wait and see though, don't think they'd be positing these things without solid evidence.

Anyway, lol if true.

I could have sworn MS said "only on Xbox," but maybe it actually said "only on Xbox these Holidays!" Lol.

Posters on the first page have been saying it, one said that the game is apparently exclusive only for the Holidays. Should be easy to find them, gonna wait and see though, don't think they'd be positing these things without solid evidence.

Anyway, lol if true.

There's been comments from Phil Spencer that suggest the deal for this game is along the lines of the deal with Dead Rising and the deal with Ryse. I also think it's clear at this point that Microsoft's investment is a little more than people probably realize. With that type of investment comes certain assurances. I don't think it's a done deal that this game will definitely come to PS4. PC is the only safe bet at this point. If this game ever sees a PS4 release, and I really do think it's unlikely, it may not be till Holiday 2016. Another thing being overlooked is the fact that the game isn't even being published by Square Enix. It's being published by Microsoft Game Studios. I mean, how many titles that have been published by Microsoft Game Studios have ever seen release on a PlayStation console? Wouldn't Mass Effect possibly be the only one ever? And we all know that's because Bioware was purchased by EA along with the Mass Effect IP. When did Mass Effect come to the PS3? 5 years after it was released on the 360 and 4 years after it was released on PC. Now I don't think Tomb Raider if it's coming to PS4 would take nearly that long, but I think people may be in for a surprise here.

I think we have a case of Phil Spencer and Microsoft simply not wanting to rub it in people's faces that a game that was previously multiplatform and so well received by fans (on both sides no matter the flip flopping happening now), was snatched away from one platform and is now exclusive to one console platform with only a potential PC release coming later.

zennyzz

I wonder how the auto craft and tree climbing works. there wasn't an instant prompt for either. So like how do you know what you're making/ know what's scalable.

I wonder how the auto craft and tree climbing works. there wasn't an instant prompt for either. So like how do you know what you're making/ know what's scalable.

I'm thinking some kind of hotkey binding method. The tree part I don't think there will be prompts for that, similar to Assassin's Creed.

A 3rd person camera that doesnt stop at your characters knees? How did they do it, those crafty dogs
Congrats to xbox for their marvelous looking exclusive

Spinluck

There's been comments from Phil Spencer that suggest the deal for this game is along the lines of the deal with Dead Rising and the deal with Ryse. I also think it's clear at this point that Microsoft's investment is a little more than people probably realize. With that type of investment comes certain assurances. I don't think it's a done deal that this game will definitely come to PS4. PC is the only safe bet at this point. If this game ever sees a PS4 release, and I really do think it's unlikely, it may not be till Holiday 2016. Another thing being overlooked is the fact that the game isn't even being published by Square Enix. It's being published by Microsoft Game Studios. I mean, how many titles that have been published by Microsoft Game Studios have ever seen release on a PlayStation console? Wouldn't Mass Effect possibly be the only one ever? And we all know that's because Bioware was purchased by EA along with the Mass Effect IP. When did Mass Effect come to the PS3? 5 years after it was released on the 360 and 4 years after it was released on PC. Now I don't think Tomb Raider if it's coming to PS4 would take nearly that long, but I think people may be in for a surprise here.

I think we have a case of Phil Spencer and Microsoft simply not wanting to rub it in people's faces that a game that was previously multiplatform and so well received by fans (on both sides no matter the flip flopping happening now), was snatched away from one platform and is now exclusive to one console platform with only a potential PC release coming later.

It's odd because I just Googled it like 10 mins ago and still can't really tell what's going on.

I loved the first and was hoping to wait till XB1 was cheaper to play it and a few other games. But if there's a chance it comes to PC I still likely hold of, same for PS4, which I don't think as likely as you said.

Sometimes these exclusives can be a tricky games, everyone playing with their words and whatnot.

It kinda stinks, but I could see this happening.

We need to remember that Square was NOT satisfied with the performance of the reboot, and probably green lit this with Microsofts backing before the sales success of the remaster.

Had Square known that the game would have the legs it does, they probably would be publishing it themselves and given CD their full support, thus bringing it too all platforms.

I'm just going to enjoy the game. My PS4, that's sitting next to my XBO, which is sitting next to my WiiU wont mind. We have an open relationship. I don't think it will be as good as uncharted 4. But its here sooner, so I'll enjoy it on its own merit. I have great hopes for this game.

Congrats to everyone coming in here to let everyone know they're playing it on a another platform hopefully eventually. Hats off to you. I just need to beat this before Halo 5 consumes me.

I think it looks great, but maybe a bit too similar to the first game. I guess there's still a lot we haven't seen, but this video made the game look more like an expansion pack than a stand-alone, new entry in the series. I really enjoyed the first game, so I guess more of the same isn't such a bad thing. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

zennyzz

I'm thinking some kind of hotkey binding method. The tree part I don't think there will be prompts for that, similar to Assassin's Creed.

Can it though? They mentioned you could craft at least five different types of usable items. I'm pretty sure controls don't have that many buttons to hot key on the XB1 while keeping the other controls.

le.phat

It looks pretty good, but they are trying too hard to turn this into microsoft's uncharted, it's kind of embarassing really.

It looks pretty good, but they are trying too hard to turn this into microsoft's uncharted, it's kind of embarassing really.

Ugh. Yeah? You know, Tomb Raider's been at this videogame, movie thing for a while. Or do you want them to bring back sharp knees, dual pistols, and mountain lions? Its natural progression of the genre. Storytelling with action elements and combat.

looks good.
The lighting and shaders seem to be greatly improved, but I still see a good bit of lower end geometry that may be because it is cross gen.

Anyways, the gameplay looks a good deal improved over the last TR (which I just finished yesterday) and I am really enjoying all of the details they have put in the world.

Also, the Mo cap and facial animation on Laura looks really good. Excited for release!

EDIT: Also, one of my compaints for the TR reboot was the art direction which I thought was a bit too drab and grey. I like the look of this next one much better though. The pallet seems to have a bit more pop to it.

zennyzz

Ugh. Yeah? You know, Tomb Raider's been at this videogame, movie thing for a while. Or do you want them to bring back sharp knees, dual pistols, and mountain lions? Its natural progression of the genre. Storytelling with action elements and combat.

I'm damn sure they're going to bring back mountain lions.

Hell, I'm damn sure they're probably going to bring back t rexes. The entire last level of 2013 was Laara vs. an army of undead samurai warriors empowered by an immortal queen who can control storms.

The game series always likes to pretend it's realistic for a few moments and then evil temple robots and official official material that says

"you know how that whole dissonance thing happened where there's no way she could have done that in actuality? Pfft, nah, she's really just that naturally good at killing, it's actually pretty unsettling when you think about it."

I'm going to be disappointed if this game doesn't end with a fight with zombie rasputin.

Hell, I'm damn sure they're probably going to bring back t rexes. The entire last level of 2013 was Laara vs. an army of undead samurai warriors empowered by an immortal queen who can control storms.

The game likes to pretend it's realistic for a few moments and then we get official material that says

"you know how that whole dissonance thing happened where there's no way she could have done that in actuality? Pfft, nah, she's really just that naturally good at killing, it's actually pretty unsettling when you think about it."

Dinosaurs, lol. You're right! If looking this it's wrong, I don't wanna be right :)

I picture my Lara playing lead guitar... and I'm in the front row hammer drunk.

This is some kind of spin. They have never had a problem doing it before(Titanfall) and now(Cuphead), but all of a sudden they are compassionate after trying to mislead people into believe it was real exclusive early on? If it was never coming to PS4 it would prudent to say that. Everyone already expects a PC port so why not just end the debate if it really is a console exclusive? Uncertainty is good for Xbox as well(better than admitting it is coming to PS4 next Spring), but not nearly as good as saying it is console exclusive like Sony did with Street Fighter V.

Haven't heard anything about MP yet. Kind of hope they ditch it and maybe do co-op tomb raiding instead. Buddy moves, opening up routes for the other person, etc... You could even make that competitive - have them start on opposite cliffs and have a race to the treasure or something.

That sounds really cool, but also much more work than designing eight multiplayer maps, so it will probably never happen.

The Lamp

Ugh. Those snow graphics are worse than Uncharted 2 (2009). Particularly her dragging her feet through the snow. At least her hair physics are better this time around.

I liked the fight with the gas can, though. Shows off variations in combat strategy.

The game series always likes to pretend it's realistic for a few moments and then evil temple robots and official official material that says

I'm going to be disappointed if this game doesn't end with a fight with zombie rasputin.
Lol this is so true and I loved every second of it haha

Fredrik

Why is the exclusivity such a big deal on a core gamer board like this, isn't everyone here already an owner of all consoles or plan to be soon enough either way? I can't see any core gamer wanting to miss out on Uncharted, Halo, Mario and the rest of the REAL exclusives, we all know that most if not all core gamers will own all consoles before this generation ends, some even get multiple console of the same type - so why pretend otherwise and get all worked up because of exclusivity deals when you know you'll end up with all the consoles soon enough anyway?
And if it's a timed exclusive, what's the big deal if you have to wait awhile before playing a certain game because of a timed exclusivity deal? It's not like the games suddenly get bad after a year. I played through Super Metroid for the 10th time or whatever this spring and it is still the best game ever made. Plus, getting a game later usually comes with some added bonuses like all DLC included etc.

Anyway, the game looks great! Love the snow physics. Don't know what platform I'm getting it on yet, probably XB1 if the framerate is stable enough, otherwise PC or PS4 if those versions comes later on with some improvements. Have anyone said anything about what framerate they're targetting?

safichan

Banned
A 3rd person camera that doesnt stop at your characters knees? How did they do it, those crafty dogs
Congrats to xbox for their marvelous looking exclusive

The way you said its like MS "true" exclusive. Well its SE's IP, the developer also belongs to SE. Its not like MS develop it. All creativity and effort are on CD and SE. MS just pay for timed exclusivity only.

Huggers

The confusion created over whether this is exclusive is kind of annoying. The waters been muddied so much no one knows if and when they might get to play it. Have to say that despite really not enjoying the first game, that snow section looks very decent aesthetically.

reKon

Banned
Speaking of TR, the reboot is only $4 on steam. I got it for free on my PS3 through PS+ and I still don't have a GPU in my rig yet (i5 4690K, 256 SSD, 1886 mhz 16 GB ram).

BUT, I have a PS4 and I like Lara's face better in the definitive version...

Don't know if getting a better version is worth it for this game. GAF, why does life have to be so hard?

Top Bottom