• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider PC |OT| Hello... it's me.

ROTTR won Writers Guild Award for "Outstanding Achievement in Video Game Writing"

CbJWH_MVAAAV35E.jpg

Congrats to CD and the writing team.

Congrats to the team.

The writing didn't feel particularly good to me compare to other titles from last year, but obviously I can see how hard it can be to writing for a videogame of the size of TR.

Huh, would not have expected that. Just now played a few hours yesterday, but the writing seemed a bit forced. Still early on of course, but the scene where she gets attacked in the mansion with Jonah there was particularly bad.
Yep, the guy jumped out of a window, did he die? What happened to him? The camera showed us nothing.

"What are we gonna do?" asked Jonah, maybe run after that guy? Shoot him in the back?

NeoRaider

Is this one of those guilds with barely anyone in it and they won because this was the only game with an actual story in it?

What??

The Writers Guild of America Awards for outstanding achievements in film, television, radio, and videogames (added in 2008) writing, including both fiction and non-fiction categories, have been presented annually by the Writers Guild of America, East and Writers Guild of America, West since 1949.

Here you can inform yourself:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Writers_Guild_of_America_Award
http://awards.wga.org/wga-awards/awards-history

And here you can see list of winners and nominees for 2016: http://awards.wga.org/wga-awards/nominees-winners

Kezen

Banned
ROTTR won Writers Guild Award for "Outstanding Achievement in Video Game Writing"

CbJWH_MVAAAV35E.jpg

Congrats to CD and the writing team.

Speaks volumes about the state of writing within the medium.

The story is C tier at best and Lara is as charismatic as a flat tire.

Setsuna

Her personality is... if you can even call it that.

Do they have awards for the least-deserving award wins? If so, this one would have a good chance of getting one of those.

Oh really now?

Lara started the game wanting the Source to clear her fathers legacy. In the end she
gives up on that pursuit and destroys the source deeming its power to great for the world

Spaghetti

RotTR won an award for writing? Jesus. What monster decided that?

Anyway, I returned to this thread to give my full impressions seeing how people felt a bit sore when I said I had more or less figured out the game's formula after the 2 hour mark.

Well, I was right. The game does lay itself out fully in the first 2 hours. Unfortunately my opinion didn't really improve. I found it more enjoyable when it opened up, but it was surprisingly short-lived and only really served as an interlude between funneled sequences and set pieces.

The challenge tombs were fun, because they actually gave the game some kind of identity and embraced the roots of the series. Beyond that it just felt like a cover album of technical, creative, and game design choices from other popular games seen in the last 5-10 years.

It's technically well made, but it's all flash and no substance. I immediately deleted the game files after finishing it, because I knew I'd never have any desire to go back and do anything in this game ever again.

Do I regret buying it? A little. It's like when you eat a bunch of fast food but don't feel satisfied. That's pretty much what this is. Somebody threw a bunch of popular video games into a grinder, mechanically recovered the meat, shaped it into nuggets, and deep fried them in a recognisable brand batter.

Nominees were:
Assassin’s Creed Syndicate,
Pillars of Eternity,
Rise of the Tomb Raider,
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

The WGA’s Videogame Writing Award honors the best qualifying script from a videogame published in the previous year. To be eligible for WGA consideration, games must have been released between December 1, 2014 and November 30, 2015, and feature on-screen writing credit(s). Credited videogame writers must have been or must have applied to become members of the WGA Videogame Writers Caucus at the time scripts were submitted. Work that was not produced under WGA jurisdiction was also eligible for submission. Judging for the WGA Videogame Writing Award is conducted by panels comprised of Videogame Writers Caucus members and/or Writers Guild members active in videogame writing.

How did Tomb Raider win? How? By being the least fantastical?

Right. When I saw guild I was thinking how broad the membership was. If it was a small stable of AAA devs (I recall a similar awards being chosen from a very select group) then that skews things somewhat.

Pretty surprised it beat Pillars. Congrats

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm not trying to be a jerk and all, Rise of the Tomb Raider deserves praise, but winning an award for its writing seems like one of the oddest things to give the game. The story isn't terrible, but even compared to many games released within the year RotTR released in, there's much better contenders for video game writing, and a surprising number of them.

I'm not trying to be a jerk and all, Rise of the Tomb Raider deserves praise, but winning an award for its writing seems like one of the oddest things to give the game. The story isn't terrible, but even compared to many games released within the year RotTR released in, there's much better contenders for video game writing, and a surprising number of them.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the narrative arc. It makes sense. Moment to moment though the dialog is so bland. I can't remember one line from this game. Have these people watched any action movies? I watched Passenger 57 again and I don't know if it was just because I was fresh off this but that movie is way better than I remember lol

For people who say Lara isn't a flat character, try to name personality traits that define her. Describe her as a person.

You can't because she has none.

Speaks volumes about the state of writing within the medium.

The story is C tier at best and Lara is as charismatic as a flat tire.

I don't know about that. Every other game on that list is better written, and in the case of the witcher it's actually will written without the quantifier "for a video game" attached.

Don't you have to pay quite a big fee to get your game into these Writers Guild things? I imagine that's why indie games are left out. Otherwise, games like Her Story or Fran Bow would be nominated.

All this just because i posted that information and picture about ROTTR winning?? Lmao i kinda like it.

Even they looked little surprised: :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTa4Gg841B4

Sorry The Witcher 3 you can't win everything. :p

wijwzm.gif

Harlequin

Oh really now?

Lara started the game wanting the Source to clear her fathers legacy. In the end she
gives up on that pursuit and destroys the source deeming its power to great for the world

Trying to force a bad excuse for character development in for the sake of it is not the same as giving a character a proper personality. Reboot Lara just feels incredibly Mary Sue-ish and like the writers don't really know what to do with her. It's like they're afraid that they'll step on someone's toes the minute they give her any actually defining personality traits or turn her into anything other than a cheesy, goody-two-shoes Hollywood hero. (And granted, they probably would step on someone's toes, considering there are so many different ideas of who Lara is/should be out there, but stepping on some toes should be a price worth paying if it means that you can create an interesting character whose lines don't sound like they're straight out of a very poorly written piece of fan fiction.) There were a few (very few) moments in Rise where something resembling a non-stereotypical personality trait or two was vaguely perceptible but for the most part, she felt like random Hollywood action hero #1895.

Murderer, maybe?

Actually I just remembered a line although I'm probably paraphrasing

Lara busts in on some dudes and she's like

"Yeah, you bastards. It's me."

So calm. She wasn't the girl under grueling stress, fighting for life like the first game. Gurl came to snatch some souls.

Of course there was a journal from some dude who had no idea what was going on and didn't intentionally sign up for a religious cult. Pretty sure Lara killed him too.

Mman235

Nominees were:
Assassin’s Creed Syndicate,
Pillars of Eternity,
Rise of the Tomb Raider,
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

How did Tomb Raider win? How? By being the least fantastical?

Wait ROTTR won when both POE AND Witcher 3 were nominees?

WHAT THE FUCK? There are no words.

Vitor711

It's pretty much the same performance, but yeah her overacting is incredible, can't believe that no one at CD pointed that out to her, and this is a company that made Legacy of Kain, a game with some of the best voice acting in the video game industry.

Why is everything Lara says so damned breathy? The actress is beyond terrible - I couldn't stand her in the first game and she seems to be worse here. Maybe I'm being too harsh and she wasn't directed properly but, regardless, the end result is obnoxious.

I actively disliked picking up most of the collectibles because I knew I'd be forced to hear her narrate it.

Setsuna

For people who say Lara isn't a flat character, try to name personality traits that define her. Describe her as a person.

You can't because she has none.

Depends how deep do you want me to go?

Adventurous, Unhinged, Caring, Obsessive, Curious, Intelligent, Observant, Generous, Closed off, Regretful and Sadistic

Just loaded up the game and the first loading tooltip said Happy Birthday Lara Croft. Sure enough I look it up and February 14th is her birthday lol

I'm particularly surprised that plenty of people on GAF praised the silenced semi-auto sniper bow. When I played TR2013 practically blind, with the bow praise being one of the few things I had heard, I felt cheated.

Oh really now?

So just like The Last Crusade then? Uncharted 3 ripped it off first, and it sure didn't deserve nor win any awards for that.

Don't you have to pay quite a big fee to get your game into these Writers Guild things? I imagine that's why indie games are left out. Otherwise, games like Her Story or Fran Bow would be nominated.

Erm, I found Fran Bow cute and all, but it had its fair share of writing issues. Still a better pick than RotTR, if comments about it not improving upon TR2013 are correct.

iNvid02

cdpr probably weren't a part of that awards list right?

edit: wow they actually were lol, i mean even discounting the ciri story there are quests and writing in that game well ahead of what we usually get in games

haha

9aT1ie9.png

Setsuna

I was afraid of that. Cheers.

There hasn't been an original idea or story in years for any sort of medium.

Everything is based off of something else with variations or edits made to it. The only people that think something that has comeout recently is "new" are those that havent read or heard of the original story

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Wait ROTTR won when both POE AND Witcher 3 were nominees?

WHAT THE FUCK? There are no words.

Even Syndicate's was better than the totally mediocre writing in Tomb Raider, let alone Witcher or Pillars.

That award just boggles my mind.

CHC

LOL @ that writing award. I mean sure Writer's Guild is big but damn, this game's script just blows.

Right off the bat lines like "We're close to something Jonah... I can feel it."

Actually, all of the characters and their interactions are so cliche, it's almost an achievement.

Top Bottom