• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider PC |OT| Hello... it's me.

Itachi87

I liked Rise of the Tomb Raider, but I'm shocked that they won that writing award. There are at least 2 games on that list that deserves it more.

ROTTR won Writers Guild Award for "Outstanding Achievement in Video Game Writing"

CbJWH_MVAAAV35E.jpg

Congrats to CD and the writing team.

giphy.gif

cameron

Congrats to Rise of the Tomb Raider for the Outstanding Achievement in Video Game Writing. Truly a masterpiece of this generation.

And to the losing nominees (Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, The Witcher 3, and Pillars of Eternity):
2Se3JOD.gif

Cerity

Just finished up and thank fuck I don't have to sit through any of the cringeworthy dialogue/story/progression anymore. The game is enjoyable enough when it shuts up and lets you do your own thing but it just kept on going with the most inane shit. It's been awhile but I actually enjoyed 2013 a lot more if only for the location.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
There hasn't been an original idea or story in years for any sort of medium.

Everything is based off of something else with variations or edits made to it. The only people that think something that has comeout recently is "new" are those that havent read or heard of the original story

That wasn't a reply to:

No one said it was an original idea and story.

...but rather:

There is no viable of efficient way to farm technical parts

Meh3D

Anyone have any issues with motion sickness? I'm playing the remake/reboot (one with TressFX) and I can only stomach it fro 15 minutes. I'm getting terrible motion sickness. This one any better?

Granjinha

huh guys

i'm pretty sure that board isn't supposed to turn around like that (i even googled the solution to this fucking tomb because i couldn't find anything)

rotrbug8sr78.jpg

help pls

Granjinha

huh, i quit the games a few times and it fixed itself lol

Well, that's screwed up. Have you tried porting to another zone, and then, come back?

i did before, yeah. I advanced a bit on the game thinking i needed the rope arrow to finish that tomb.

I tried teleporting and reseting a few times and suddenly it was flipped lol

MUnited83

For you.
huh, i quit the games a few times and it fixed itself lol

i did before, yeah. I advanced a bit on the game thinking i needed the rope arrow to finish that tomb.

I tried teleporting and reseting a few times and suddenly it was flipped lol

This game has some weird ass bugs. In the first open Soviet area I had a quest giving NPC disappear from the game completely, and QTE prompts to open doors dissapeared too so I couldn't progress further. Eventually it fixed itself after a few reloads, but it was pretty annoying.

Reminds of the fucking DLC tomb on TR2013 that was utterly broken, and that one couldn't be solved by reloading anything. Got the bug? Restart the game over again from the beggining and do this very specific steps to be able to complete the tomb! (this was their actual answer to the bug). Good thing at least this time the bugs seem to be temporary.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yes. You can view them using your Xbox app on your Windows 10 PC.

edit: for some reason it shows up as a Xbox one game on the website.
eIKibiR.jpg

But as an Xbox live game on the app (and Xbox one games aren't labeled).
JRDSkRr.jpg

OH.

FUCK.

YES.

MS has given me a reason to use Windows 10 store instead of steam.

If I can earn achievements again. Then. damn.

yatesl

Finished it. 24 hours, 95%, just some challenges and collectibles to go.

Regret not playing it on Survivor to get the achievement, though. You don't even get a different achievement for playing it on hard, and the game was incredibly easy (especially once you'd leveled up). No way am I playing it all again, though.

Similar to 2013 - fun game, but very mediocre and obvious story. Worth £6.40

ArjanN

Finished it. 24 hours, 95%, just some challenges and collectibles to go.

Regret not playing it on Survivor to get the achievement, though. You don't even get a different achievement for playing it on hard, and the game was incredibly easy (especially once you'd leveled up). No way am I playing it all again, though.

Similar to 2013 - fun game, but very mediocre and obvious story. Worth £6.40

Yeah I started on Survivor for the achievement and it's not hard at all.

leng jai

The outfit crafting in this game is terrible without NG+. By the time you have enough material to craft anything good you'll probably be done with the game.

Oh freaking heck.

My Windows Store version of the game has randomly decided to not start. The Xbox sign-in window pops up and says "connecting", and then the whole game just closes. I'd been waiting all week for a chance to play this again :(

Because it's the Windows Store version of the game, my troubleshooting options are F all.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh, speaking of screenshots, I took these:

In the first, you see a "large cat" as the example encounter of the ability to aim directly at animal hearts. The problem? As the text explains, animals with thick hides, such as large cats and bears, are immune to such critical hits, which leads me to the second one: in the document, which belongs to a hunting teacher who tasked her students with hunting a bear, she quite clearly states that any animal can be killed with a well-placed shot to the heart, which is directly at odds with the game's own logic. I couldn't help but laugh... and shake my head a bit.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoying this. Played for about 10 hours and had a blast, so I went ahead and grabbed the season pass, too. Just finished up the Baba Yaga DLC and really enjoyed it, too.

It's still early in the year, but I imagine this is going to rank very highly for me.

Weevilone

I finished the campaign just now. I really enjoyed it. Sadly after being totally solid the whole time, the last day of playing revealed some glitches. I had a challenge fail because the final thing I was to do didn't get "done" when I finished it. I definitely completed it but the map market takes me to a location where I'm already finished but.. oh well.

When I finished that, the game crashed for the first and only time. I also had the map freak out after that and not work any longer until I restarted the game. Sadly the restart didn't help with the challenge.

I never did anything with the cards, need to see what that was all about. Might poke around and finish all the optional dungeons at least, as I missed a few.

Doh. edit: Played the Steam version.

Finally completed it yesterday. Was quite by the numbers but still a very fun experience overall. The fact it looked so damn pretty at max graphics definitely helped. Not sure why the story won a video game writing award as it was extremely generic with some very meh dialogue, but I'm still somewhat interested to see where it leads after that ending, so I guess it did it's job.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Started this yesterday and im really enjoying it. I was a big fan of the first one going in expecting purely a uncharted clone (and not a actual TR game) so it fulfilled on that account. And Rise seems like more of the same, in a good way. Already obcessing over getting all the stuff in each zone, mainly for the xp to get all the perks lol.

Also its absolutely gorgeous, but performance shit the bed when I got to soviet base (and I hear it gets worse later) so I dropped textures to high and some other stuff like shadows and whatnot.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Started this yesterday and im really enjoying it. I was a big fan of the first one going in expecting purely a uncharted clone (and not a actual TR game) so it fulfilled on that account. And Rise seems like more of the same, in a good way. Already obcessing over getting all the stuff in each zone, mainly for the xp to get all the perks lol.
Don't waste too much time with getting everything right away in the Soviet Camp and Geothermal Valley. I will completely destroy the pacing of the game. It certainly did for me anyway.

Arklite

Mentioning Endurance mode again for anyone that really liked Rise's core gameplay. The search for relics through the snowy forest while fighting and scavenging for resources highlights Rise's survival/crafting aspects in more relevant and fun ways than the main game.

Really should have been included for free though, as it doesn't add much of anything new but is a certainly a more compelling replay mode than the speed challenge thing or the main game's collectables checklist.

dreamfall

I keep getting an application crash on the final fight in Baba Yaga at exactly the same spot. I hadn't had a single crash in 28 hours on the main game, don't know what to do to complete it.

Top Bottom