• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 Patch 1.06 fixes framepacing issues

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Enriched and 4k. I played every combat encounter in 60 fps and everything else in 4k and couldnt tell the difference. But this is good news nonetheless. one of the best games of the last year.
The issues also impacted the base PS4. 1.05 caused the issue.

black070

How funny, I've never been sensitive to framepacing issues, not on this, not on Bloodborne, not even on Final Fantasy XV - yet when it's fixed, it seems so noticeably smoother that I wonder how I went without it bothering me in the first place.

cozomel

Square Enix too, Final Fantasy XV has this problem as well. Everyone seems to be able to fix this in time, so if SE doesn't, will speak volumes. And not in a good way.

Japanese developers seem to have a harder time with this issue. Just look at Bloodborne/DS3, Naruto and others.

But thank you Nixxes for being stand up devs and fixing it. Much appreciated.

And to the guy with the 1070p TV, you got gipped 10p ;-)

LordOfChaos

Yet, 9 patches and a year and a half later and Bloodborne still has it, as does DS3. Le sigh.

Someone please help From Software out with that...Amazing games, Bloodborne probably being my game of the generation so far, but every time I go to replay them the frame pacing is jarring again.

Planet

The game is so much better now! Nixxes is quickly becoming a developer to watch out for to me, because I like my tech well done.

Seems like the input lag is at 1.04 levels. It's definitely not as responsive as 1.05, but it plays much more smoothly now.

It really feels like they just went back to version 1.04.

I'm in original PS4 by the way. Anyone else notice the same thing?

Melchiah

Seems like the input lag is at 1.04 levels. It's definitely not as responsive as 1.05, but it plays much more smoothly now.

That's bad news. Input lag is more noticeable for me than framepacing. Hopefully it's not the same on the Pro.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Alright alright alright.

Nixxess doing god's work. Already own the game via a recent digital sale, haven't had the chance to play it yet but feels good to know it has the only remaining issue ironed out by the time I start it.

Hope other parts of SE follow through on frame pacing issues on their flagship titles :-/

Chun-Li

noooooooooo. i hope this isn't true.

Did they fix the trophies? I know they patched in trophy fixes for those who haven't gotten the trophies but I don't feel like replaying the game just to get all of the challenges again (it's fucking weird because I have the 100% completion trophy but not the challenges one).

black070

I was 2-3 hours into my play session today when the update began downloading, as soon as it completed I quit out, installed the patch and reloaded - having a fresh experience of pre and post patch, I can tell you this definitely doesn't seem like the case, the input lag felt exactly the same to me.

I was 2-3 hours into my play session today when the update began downloading, as soon as it completed I quit out, installed the patch and reloaded - having a fresh experience of pre and post patch, I can tell you this definitely doesn't seem like the case, the input lag felt exactly the same to me.

Original PS4 or Pro?

black070

http://wccftech.com/rise-tomb-raider-ps4-106-patch-fixes-frame-pacing-issues/

This site mentions the introduction of additional input lag in 1.06.

I wonder if it's better or worse than 1.0 as far as input lag.

The report it speaks of is one Reddit post, who claims it's a little noticeable in high framerate mode aswell, despite that mode not suffering from framepacing issues in the first place. I've been playing on the Pro and that doesn't seem to be the case to me.

The report it speaks of is one Reddit post, who claims it's a little noticeable in high framerate mode aswell, despite that mode not suffering from framepacing issues in the first place. I've been playing on the Pro and that doesn't seem to be the case to me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/5io2hr/rise_of_the_tomb_raider_ps4_patch_106_fixes/

Here are more reports of more input lag. I downloaded and played it on a friends PS4 and the input lag is definitely back. That kinda sucks.

I just want to revert back to 1.04

I love you Nixxes, but how many patches will it take to fix both frame pacing and input lag? On both base PS4 units and PS4 Pro? Seems like every patch fixes something, then breaks something else. Sometimes base PS4 users suffer, other times it's Pro owners. Or both.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Strange...Just did a version update check and I'm not getting this update.

Harlequin

Have Crystal Dynamics developed on anything but on the Xbox 360 or Xbox One since the PS2 days?

Nope. Since Underworld, Crystal have been exclusively developing on Xbox platforms and outsourcing all the ports to other studios (back in the day Nixxes and BuzzMonkey, nowadays just Nixxes, though United Front Games also helped on the reboot's Definitive Edition).

Melchiah

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/5io2hr/rise_of_the_tomb_raider_ps4_patch_106_fixes/

Here are more reports of more input lag. I downloaded and played it on a friends PS4 and the input lag is definitely back. That kinda sucks.

I just want to revert back to 1.04

Oh great. Another game downgraded in the midst of playthrough. First TLOU then this. I'm starting to get sick about the performance crowd getting what they want in the expense of others, who aren't even bothered by framepacing and minor framerate dips.

SURGEdude

Oh great. Another game downgraded in the midst of playthrough. First TLOU then this. I'm starting to get sick about the performance crowd getting what they want in the expense of others, who aren't even bothered by framepacing and minor framerate dips.

To be fair I don't think the framepacing or dips were minor, but I do agree that developers should be using the Pro to give users options not just forcing people into whatever whim they have with a current patch.

I also think it would be smart for Sony to offer users a way to roll back patches if they choose to. Frankly as a 1080P player I'm not terribly impressed with how Sony seems to be pushing developers to provide us benefits.

SURGEdude

"Disaster."

I know gaf loves to be dramatic but lol.

I haven't played with the new patch, or the older ones that had issues. But if it was anything like the XB1 build I beat last year it wasn't far from disastrous. Coming from 2013 remaster to that the shooting was hugely compromised. Playing on 360 and PC was a night and day improvement.

Melchiah

To be fair I don't think the framepacing or dips were minor, but I do agree that developers should be using the Pro to give users options not just forcing people into whatever whim they have with a current patch.

I also think it would be smart for Sony to offer users a way to roll back patches if they choose to. Frankly as a 1080P player I'm not terribly impressed with how Sony seems to be pushing developers to provide us benefits.

I don't think there were major framerate dips in TLOU. And there weren't any in the supersampled 30fps mode.

More options would be good, having the ones that were patched out would be even better. Unfortunately, it seems that in today's online culture, the loudest complainers are more likely to get what they want.

If they offered a way to roll back patches, they'd have to do it case-by-case basis, which seems very unlikely. I was impressed with the supersampling the Pro offered on 1080p displays, but removing it has definitely left me unimpressed as well.

SURGEdude

I don't think there were major framerate dips in TLOU. And there weren't any in the supersampled 30fps mode.

More options would be good, having the ones that were patched out would be even better. Unfortunately, it seems that in today's online culture, the loudest complainers are more likely to get what they want.

If they offered a way to roll back patches, they'd have to do it case-by-case basis, which seems very unlikely. I was impressed with the supersampling the Pro offered on 1080p displays, but removing it has definitely left me unimpressed as well.

On 1.07 60fps there are some pretty severe drops in the snow level where it's blowing all around. I blame the intense alpha effects.

As for patch rollback, I think the solution would have to be something that was hidden from the average user and just allowable to people who really know what they are doing. If they don't want to go that far then they should at least provide an easy way to block certain games from getting patched as selected by the user.

Mitchture420

Neo Member
thats pretty sad if they introduced input lag i have no time for instability in my games and definitely not the money for it. ill pass on this i guess as it sounds like a hot mess. maybe if it drops to 10 bones 3 years from now when its really cleaned up

Melchiah

On 1.07 60fps there are some pretty severe drops in the snow level where it's blowing all around. I blame the intense alpha effects.

As for patch rollback, I think the solution would have to be something that was hidden from the average user and just allowable to people who really know what they are doing. If they don't want to go that far then they should at least provide an easy way to block certain games from getting patched as selected by the user.

I didn't know that, since I don't play in the performance mode, and I haven't played the game since supersampling was removed.
EDIT: And it looks like I won't be playing TR either, since the input lag was brought back.

Regarding patches, they'd have to prevent people from rolling back to versions, that have unfixed bugs and online issues, like the save file bug in the original version of TLOU at the time of release.

"Disaster."

I know gaf loves to be dramatic but lol.

Well, an increased input lag in an action-oriented game is a pretty dramatic change in playability. I've shelved games for a whole lot less.

If users are having aiming issues due to input lag after the patch, that's kind of shitty, and should be addressed sooner rather than later. Hardly a controversial opinion.

CyberChulo

Aiming seems fine. it feels a little slower than 1.04 but not like 1.0. The area where I feel is way more noticeable is the camera turn lag. It just seems so sluggish when moving it.

Bl@de

thats pretty sad if they introduced input lag i have no time for instability in my games and definitely not the money for it. ill pass on this i guess as it sounds like a hot mess. maybe if it drops to 10 bones 3 years from now when its really cleaned up

There is no actual evidence for increased input lag. The article just quotes a reddit topic with 3 answers (lol) and there are some people saying "maybe".

I just started the game in 4K mode and my impression (running around, aiming and shooting in the Geothermal Valley): The game is a lot smoother and framerate seems to be improved. Input lag seems to be normal for a vsynced 30fps game. The gun goes up pretty much instantly when I press L2. But of course there is a difference when comparing it to games with higher framerates with variable sync. Camera controls in RotTR were always floaty and still are.

Top Bottom