• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 Patch 1.06 fixes framepacing issues

score01

I guess we go going to have to wait for DF analysis. I just don't know what to say if input lag has been reintroduced. Pre-order cancelled.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What is the consensus? Has the input lag been removed? Why do they keep putting it in then removing it?

I bought it on the XB1, and gave up after 3 hours because of the massive input lag.

I was just about to buy it again for my PS Pro because I heard the latest patch removed the input lag/frame pacing issues.

Planet

I didn't measure it, because I don't have the technical equipment, but I checked for input lag right away, and it is fine. Saying this is an unplayable mess is hyperbole², but it was to be expected.

Planet

It is "fine" (which will differ from person to person), but it did feel better in the last version.
They very well might have increased it a bit again, by (re-)introducing a form off buffering. I didn't say there isn't any, but hardly any game has none.

If the current 1.06 version of the game is a pain to anyone, that person probably doesn't enjoy video games much at all these days.

Jacob4815

I can't notice any input lag after 1.06.
It there is, it's very very low.

With 1.06 now in the 4k/1080p supersampled mode the game is smoother with amazing image quality, without visual downgrades.
I think it's perfect. Other developers should take note..

All I'm going to say is play the game if you can, there's a night and day difference in smoothness between patch 1.05 and 1.06.

Nixxes has done a good job at fixing the horrible frame-pacing issue, and as for the input lag, it is much lower than the Xbox One version as far as I can tell.

Okay, so I just tested version 1.0 and compared it to 1.06.

On 1.0, there is 6 frames of lag between pressing jump and seeing her jump.

On 1.06, there is 5 frames of lag between pressing jump and seeing her jump.

Same thing with rotating the camera. I would say they're very close in terms of input lag. Looks like Nixxes messed up again.

However, moving the camera while aiming was much harder on 1.0 than 1.06, but I think they just fine tuned the aiming... the input lag is about the same.

I think the lag is even worse than 1.04. I remember noticing a big difference between 1.0 and 1.04 and now it looks like we're back to 1.0 lag here.

III-V

Same thing with rotating the camera. I would say they're very close in terms of input lag. Looks like Nixxes messed up again.

However, moving the camera while aiming was much harder on 1.0 than 1.06, but I think they just fine tuned the aiming... the input lag is about the same.

I think the lag is even worse than 1.04. I remember noticing a big difference between 1.0 and 1.04 and now it looks like we're back to 1.0 lag here.

are you serious? I don't even

Melchiah

Fuuuuu... That doesn't sound good.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Input lag is back. Just not quite as bad as at launch.

Anyone saying otherwise is wrong, and should just admit they aren't sensitive to it.

Evolved1

When I first fired this up after the patch, I didn't try aiming for whatever reason. Just looked at pacing, which appeared to be fixed. I was quite happy.

The input lag was an unfortunate surprise today.

That said... I'd rather play with this input lag than with the frame pacing. The pacing was fucking awful. This lag is not ideal, obviously, but less awful.

Tbh I find the auto-center camera more a detriment to gameplay than the input lag. If for some reason you haven't noticed the camera, I'm sorry to bring your attention to it.

Melchiah

Input lag is back. Just not quite as bad at launch.

Anyone saying otherwise is wrong, and should just admit they aren't sensitive to it.

It remains to be seen how much it bothers me, but if I had the choice I would have stayed with the previous version, since framepacing has never been an issue for me. Too bad I don't have the option to choose.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I knew they would fix this. Nixxes listens to the community and seems to pride itself on doing great work. Well done!

I just did a quick test. It feels a tiny bit better than 1.0, but my test only showed a 1 frame difference (which is 33ms), so I suppose 1.06 has 33ms of less lag compared to 1.0.

It's definitely nowhere close to how it was in 1.05, but the frame pacing hurts more than the input lag. Playing a game that is that jittery was tough on the eyes.

I really wanna see a digital foundry video on this. They're way more equipped to test these things.

Melchiah

I knew they would fix this. Nixxes listens to the community and seems to pride itself on doing great work. Well done!

They removed framepacing, but brought back input lag. Those who are more sensitive to the latter weren't heard. Reminds me of how it was with TLOU and supersampling.

Yeah I didn't really notice it. Maybe I'm not sensitive to it, or maybe I would notice it if I went into the game looking for it. Whatever input lag is there never interfered with my ability to play the game or enjoy it so maybe that's why I haven't noticed.

For those of you that do clearly notice the input lag, how much is it interfering with playing the game?

Evolved1

I just did a quick test. It feels a tiny bit better than 1.0, but my test only showed a 1 frame difference (which is 33ms), so I suppose 1.06 has 33ms of less lag compared to 1.0.

It's definitely nowhere close to how it was in 1.05, but the frame pacing hurts more than the input lag. Playing a game that is that jittery was tough on the eyes.

I really wanna see a digital foundry video on this. They're way more equipped to test these things.
My method is completely unscientific. I'm just reaaaally sensitive to input lag / deadzone / acceleration... anything that affects analog control.

Framerate and pacing, I used to be oblivious to it all. Not anymore unfortunately. I miss my ignorance.

Anyway, I cannot put numbers on the lag, but it's there, clear as day. At launch this game had issues with lag and deadzone, which can be hard to parse. Now this just feels like lag. So that might be part of why it doesn't seem as bad as its launch state. They did clean up the analog in addition to addressing lag, from what I could tell.

Evolved1

Yeah I didn't really notice it. Maybe I'm not sensitive to it, or maybe I would notice it if I went into the game looking for it. Whatever input lag is there never interfered with my ability to play the game or enjoy it so maybe that's why I haven't noticed.

For those of you that do clearly notice the input lag, how much is it interfering with playing the game?
Depends. This game is really easy, so it shouldn't hit as hard. The pacing was worse.

Idk I've only played a couple mins since this patch, and no combat, so I cannot really say. I will say that I considered the game broken at launch and refused to play it. Current state, from my very limted time, doesn't appear quite that bad.

oSoLucky

Does anyone know how many frames of lag the previous patch had? My plasma already has close to 50ms response, so adding a couple frames on top of that can make things feel really bad. Maybe I should wait. I really need to start researching these patches before I let them download.

I wish there were a way to use archived patches and only play offline on console.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I was 2-3 hours into my play session today when the update began downloading, as soon as it completed I quit out, installed the patch and reloaded - having a fresh experience of pre and post patch, I can tell you this definitely doesn't seem like the case, the input lag felt exactly the same to me.
Did you play on Pro in one of the 30FPS modes though? That's where the frame pacing issue only existed in the first place.

Planet

I just recorded a bit of 1.06 with my Nexus 5x at 240fps, jumping and changing weapons, in high resolution mode. Without deeper analysis, it looks like 5 frames delay between button press and action, 166ms. Now wait! This is not a confirmation of the above hyperbole!

5 frames delay on my actual tv model (LG 55LV6529), which is tested to have about 40ms delay, so you can deduct a frame or two. Pretty normal input lag if you ask me. It felt bad at start, much better now. I can hunt a rabbit on flight which I never managed before the patching.

And if input lag was so great in 1.05, why didn't anyone measure it? Must be absolute zero then, even on my tv, negative delay to compensate for the screen...

black070

Did you play on Pro in one of the 30FPS modes though? That's where the frame pacing issue only existed in the first place.

Yup, been playing in 4K mode on my Pro - the framepacing seems to be completely absent now, and the input lag feels exactly the same to me as it did pre-patch.

KyleCross

As someone not sensitive to frame-pacing, having played through the entirety of FFXV on High mode without any problem, I am pissed to hear frame-pacing has been removed in favor of input lag. How bought you just let us choose ourselves if you can't fix both problems, Nixxes.

SURGEdude

I'd love a DF or somebody else if they made a video talking about what might be the issue with input lag and this engine. It's huge on XB1, good on 360 and PC, and has been jumping around with each patch on PS4. That's a very strange distribution of problems. If it wasn't for PC working fine I'd have guessed the engine in the 360 version was simply different enough to explain the results, but clearly PC/PS4/ and XB1 are running pretty much the same title.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I just recorded a bit of 1.06 with my Nexus 5x at 240fps, jumping and changing weapons, in high resolution mode. Without deeper analysis, it looks like 5 frames delay between button press and action, 166ms. Now wait! This is not a confirmation of the above hyperbole!

5 frames delay on my actual tv model (LG 55LV6529), which is tested to have about 40ms delay, so you can deduct a frame or two. Pretty normal input lag if you ask me. It felt bad at start, much better now. I can hunt a rabbit on flight which I never managed before the patching.

And if input lag was so great in 1.05, why didn't anyone measure it? Must be absolute zero then, even on my tv, negative delay to compensate for the screen...
If it's 5 frames then that is pretty normal, yep http://www.displaylag.com/video-game-input-lag-database/

III-V

Ah shit. They need to get back to 1.04 levels. It was a perfect balance. :-/

I hear ya!

I haven't even figured out why they dropped the 1.05 patch... things were good.

I play on a computer monitor that has no input lag, so that's 165ms of lag before display lag is even taken into consideration.

I think we need to wait for the digital foundry analysis of this patch and how it compares to 1.04 and 1.0.

DF already gave a good analysis of 1.0 levels. And its not pretty.

They may have an improvement still from 1.0, no one is complaining about the return of the dead zone, however, so thats something.

Harlequin

So I'm in the process of downloading this. With a 1080P tv do I play enrich mode or 4K?

I don't have the PS4 version but from what I've heard (and based on what I know from playing the PC version at 1080p), the 4K mode is the way to go. The game has a lot of aliasing and shimmering at 1080p, especially in vegetated areas (of which there are quite a few) which is mostly eliminated by playing in 4K mode.

arimanius

I don't have the PS4 version but from what I've heard (and based on what I know from playing the PC version at 1080p), the 4K mode is the way to go. The game has a lot of aliasing and shimmering at 1080p, especially in vegetated areas (of which there are quite a few) which is mostly eliminated by playing in 4K mode.

Awesome. Since I don't have 4K I didn't know if there would be any improvement with the 4K mode. Thanks for the detailed response.

Dante83

Banned
Patch 1.04 was perfect to me. No frame drops or input delays. The 2nd last patch introduced frame pacing, and now this new patch introduces the input lag? C'mon now...This game was made with the input delay present, so it complicates things. Had the game been made with without this issue, we won''t be seeing this back-and-forth discrepancies. The original X1 version still wasn't fixed for crying out loud.

Top Bottom