• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Review Thread

Ryan_MSF

Can't believe i've gotta wait for this, it looks amazing - fucking microsoft
releasing games later in Europe than the US, 3 more days to go :p

Honest question: Are Crystal Dynamics the most underrated developer in the industry? I think there's an argument to be made.

This has moved ahead of Fallout 4 on my hype list.

I downloaded the Definitive version for free, so I'm going to run through that between bouts of Halo 5 then drop the money on the new one.

GTSweet

Neo Member
What an incredible Fall for gaming.

Forza 6, Halo 5, AC Syndicate, COD BLOPS3, Fallout 4, and RoTR all reviewed great and presumably Battlefront will too.

Really something for everyone on every platform this year. LOVE IT.

zsynqx

Forza 6, Halo 5, AC Syndicate, COD BLOPS3, Fallout 4, and RoTR all reviewed great and presumably Battlefront will too.

window-wiiu.jpg

Honest question: Are Crystal Dynamics the most underrated developer in the industry? I think there's an argument to be made.

I downloaded the Definitive version for free, so I'm going to run through that between bouts of Halo 5 then drop the money on the new one.

I've been talking about this forever. CD has been around for a LONG time and has a pretty long history of making very good games. Now that they have been focused on just Tomb Raider for a while, their games are really coming together.

Impulsor

I absolutely loved the reboot, played it when it came out, played it again when the definitive edition come out. This game just blew me away in the two hours I played it.

Love at first sight. Stunning, polished, let's me choose language regardless of zone and region.

So happy, really. This game.. so goooood

There are 9 optional challenge tombs. 10 if you count a forced one in the main story. They are bigger, more varied, take longer to complete, and in more tomb like environments. They are also better hidden and have some traps and some trickier platforming than anything in the reboot before reaching the tomb. They are still small though and difficulty will vary on player by player basis and whether or not you use survival instincts. They have listened at least a bit an it is an improvement on the reboot. The Reboot was mostly slow walks through a cave into small mostly samey looking dens with a simple 1-2 step puzzle. Having caves and crypts to explore in addition to these is nice as well. They don't have puzzles but they hold some nice rewards and material as well.

There are also 4 main story "tombs" this time with some nested puzzles but they of course are also filled with combat and explosions. Still it has better puzzle design than the Reboots main campaign and some actual tomb like environments. The last hub is in particular is amazing looking. I was just hoping for more parts like Syria tomb in the main story with little to no combat. Still the pacing is in no way like Uncharted one if you choose to engage in any of the optional content.

Not even remotely true.

There's FAR less combat and a few more puzzles and tombs.

I reckon I could get through the whole game using the bow and arrow if I really had to. There's also ways of dealing with the combat sections that don't require going in all guns blazing.

Not sure what to make of this game, but this is kind of what I expected this game would turn out as. The reboot brought me back to the series after I had given up on it. This sounds like they are going back to the formula that caused them to have to do a reboot in the first place. I'll probably pass on this game unless I can find it ultra cheap somewhere.

So the question now is, where is the biggest audience for the Tomb Raider games? Is it with the old school puzzle type games or is it with the more action oriented type of the original reboot? It'll be interesting to see what the sales will be like.

Really glad to see the user impressions and review scores seem so high. The game looks like a blast, just like 2013 was. Hopefully their choosing to release it tomorrow doesn't hurt it too badly.

Now to wait for the PC release...

A kill count on IMDB shows 28 for Indy. He wouldn't even get a trophy for that many kills in an Uncharted game.
fair enough, but if uncharted was a movie then it's reasonable to say his kill count wouldn't be that high either, yeah?

as a video game though I must say the endless waves of people to shoot at in uncharted gets pretty tiresome. especially considering you're playing as someone who is a treasure hunter.

JayB1920

Not sure what to make of this game, but this is kind of what I expected this game would turn out as. The reboot brought me back to the series after I had given up on it. This sounds like they are going back to the formula that caused them to have to do a reboot in the first place. I'll probably pass on this game unless I can find it ultra cheap somewhere.

So the question now is, where is the biggest audience for the Tomb Raider games? Is it with the old school puzzle type games or is it with the more action oriented type of the original reboot? It'll be interesting to see what the sales will be like.

Just play through the main story if you want something like the reboot. What exactly are you worried about? They rebooted the franchise because of the stale mechanics and combat.

Just play through the main story if you want something like the reboot. What exactly are you worried about? They rebooted the franchise because of the stale mechanics and combat.

Problem is that apparently upgrades are hidden behind doing these puzzles that I'm not interested in. If there was a combat way to get the upgrades then I'd be fine with the extra side puzzles assuming the main gameplay was long enough, but that isn't the case.

JayB1920

Problem is that apparently upgrades are hidden behind doing these puzzles that I'm not interested in. If there was a combat way to get the upgrades then I'd be fine with the extra side puzzles assuming the main gameplay was long enough, but that isn't the case.

There are still plenty of upgrades available and these are hardly required to beat the game. Not doing the tombs in the Reboot made it so you didn't get all pistol parts and you had a good amount less salvage/experience at the end so its not that different a situation. If you enjoyed the Reboot you should enjoy this. Plus you could always just use a guide for puzzles.

Toa TAK

Banned
What an EXPENSIVE Fall for gaming.

Fixed that for ya.

Excluding Forza 6 and Fallout 4, my wallet is crying.

IzzyF3

Are they? I loved Soul Reaver, but I never played Project Snowblind or whatever their FPS was called.

fair enough, but if uncharted was a movie then it's reasonable to say his kill count wouldn't be that high either, yeah?

as a video game though I must say the endless waves of people to shoot at in uncharted gets pretty tiresome. especially considering you're playing as someone who is a treasure hunter.

If it's narrative was a better fit, the story would acknowledge what Nathan does in gameplay more... or the gameplay would revolve around escaping enemy soldiers way more than tearing apart whole teams of them.
It's called ludonarrative dissonance; its' the sensation that the gameplay and story of a game is way out of alignment.

There are still plenty of upgrades available and these are hardly required to beat the game. Not doing the tombs in the Reboot made it so you didn't get all pistol parts and you had a good amount less salvage/experience at the end so its not that different a situation. If you enjoyed the Reboot you should enjoy this. Plus you could always just use a guide for puzzles.

Tombs in the reboot were much smaller so wasn't a big deal. Having to use a guide to enjoy a game is sort of a deal breaker.

However note that I'm not saying RotTR is a bad game, just that with its changes I can't see it rising above the other gaming options I'll have. I only have a PS4 and would have to wait until next year to play it anyway, but next year looks like it's going to be a historic one for gaming. All these changes have pushed RotTR to the bottom of my very long gaming list.

I am also not saying that my interpretation of the game will be the most widespread one, although I am leaning that way. Like I said before, it'll be interesting to see what the sales figures turn out to be. If the changes please more people then it turns away then sorry for me, but good for SE and I couldn't really fault them. If on the other hand they end up torpedoing the reboot of their franchise then still bad for me, but at least I'll be right.

Zakalwe

Banned
Did not expect this game to review so well, all the footage I'd seen made it seem like a slightly more polished/developed TR2013 with all the same issues.

While the story, writing, and acting all seem to be stuck in the same rut as the original, the gameplay looks fun. I really liked the metronid style level designs in the first game, and the combat was excellent.

Shame I won't be able to try it for so long.

I like to think of as Uncharted, minus all the personality and the flair for set-piece moments, but with better combat and puzzles.
I disagree only because we compare games that are so far in between releases. I posted in the Uncharted vs. Tomb Raider thread because it for some reason bothers me these two gams are compared so heavily.

This will be the first real fair comparison IMO, as TR:ROTR is releasing not years before/after the next Uncharted. The stuff that TR did better than the Uncharted series was pretty much natural evolution and improvement in the genre over development cycles. The thing I'm most excited about is improvements to story/pacing and of course more fun gameplay elements. In games like this where the devs are pretty much holding your hand through a linear experience, story is pretty much of the utmost importance. I could barely get through TR playing it for the story, I just found it fun collecting things and trophy hunting.

If it's narrative was a better fit, the story would acknowledge what Nathan does in gameplay more... or the gameplay would revolve around escaping enemy soldiers way more than tearing apart whole teams of them.
It's called ludonarrative dissonance; its' the sensation that the gameplay and story of a game is way out of alignment.
that is interesting, but I'm saying in the gameplay itself, I don't enjoy having wave after wave of enemies to shoot at, even disregarding who and what nathan drake is supposed to be. the platforming is what I enjoy most in the gameplay of uncharted.

Mahonay

Banned

Blows away last year by a large margin.

That's beside the point, though. The point is that many video games—regardless of the reason—have so much killing that it often becomes hard to take the story seriously.

I actually didn't have too much trouble with TR2013 in this regard (the inhabitants of the island came across as sub-human creatures anyway—if the game's ending had revealed that they were zombies, I wouldn't have been surprised), but I certainly did with Uncharted 2. Don't know what I'll end up making of this game.

JayB1920

That's beside the point, though. The point is that many video games—regardless of the reason—have so much killing that it often becomes hard to take the story seriously.

I actually didn't have too much trouble with TR2013 in this regard (the inhabitants of the island came across as sub-human creatures anyway—if the games ending had revealed that they were zombies, I wouldn't have been surprised), but I certainly did with Uncharted 2. Don't know what I'll end up making of this game.

Uncharted also had about twice as ,many human enemies overall as well. Im not sure how this one fares but is was ~400 in the Reboot vs ~800 in each of the Uncharted games. Both are a ridiculous number but I agree with how they came across as sub human.

Have they said anything about the length? I mean it's a bigger world and more side quests, surely it's quite longer than the previous one?

On and was there any mention of aliasing when they spoke about the graphics in the reviews?

I actually didn't have too much trouble with TR2013 in this regard (the inhabitants of the island came across as sub-human creatures anyway—if the games ending had revealed that they were zombies, I wouldn't have been surprised), but I certainly did with Uncharted 2. Don't know what I'll end up making of this game.
not necessarily. not every single shooter i've ever played gave me the feeling that there's just too many waves of enemies to shoot at. i've only had the feeling with uncharted games, and as of late, GTA5.

Really glad to see the user impressions and review scores seem so high. The game looks like a blast, just like 2013 was. Hopefully their choosing to release it tomorrow doesn't hurt it too badly.

Now to wait for the PC release...

I agree with everything in this post, except I'm waiting for the PS4 version.

And if the wait is too much I might end up picking the 360 version first.

TentPole

Have they said anything about the length? I mean it's a bigger world and more side quests, surely it's quite longer than the previous one?

On and was there any mention of aliasing when they spoke about the graphics in the reviews?

Giant Bomb said somewhere between 30 and 40 hours. His final clock was 41 but he had some amount of idle time.

cookienut

Banned
Started playing it. It's fantastic and really polished. That typical Uncharted style gameplay with those 2013 Tomb Raider'isms. Which I am very happy with. I am not expecting an amazing story but I really, really loved the 2013 version. Going to play it before Fallout 4 I think.

not necessarily. not every single shooter i've ever played gave me the feeling that there's just too many waves of enemies to shoot at. i've only had the feeling with uncharted games, and as of late, GTA5.

Well that's why I said "many games" not all of them. I also realize that it won't affect everyone the same way, but I do think it's a problem and I certainly don't think that saying "Well, that's just what video games are like" is a solution.

(Personally, I had to stop playing Bioshock Infinite a couple of months ago because I couldn't deal with the killing. I'd just gotten a new PC and had been looking forward to the playthrough a great deal, but... the game wants you to care about Elizabeth, and Booker, and everyone, and it's just not possible for me when I'm mowing through hundreds of people)

zsynqx

Well that's why I said "many games" not all of them. I also realize that it won't affect everyone the same way, but I do think it's a problem and I certainly don't think that saying "Well, that's just what video games are like" is a solution.

(Personally, I had to stop playing Bioshock Infinite a couple of months ago because I couldn't deal with the killing. I'd just gotten a new PC and had been looking forward to the playthrough a great deal, but... the game wants you to care about Elizabeth, and Booker, and everyone, and it's just not possible for me when I'm mowing through hundreds of people)

Opinions on TLOU. That game contextualizes it's violence pretty well in comparison to all the above mentioned games (TR, Uncharted, GTA).

Top Bottom