• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Review Thread

Most reviews indicate 10-15h for story but there are a shit ton of collectibles/side quests etc.

Oh, ok. Sounds more like what I expected. It'll probably take me a solid 30 then.

Are there collectibles in this game aside from audio logs and are they worth anything? I mean is there any reason other than collecting to collect them? It's one thing that really annoyed me about the last game. There was no real reason to collect the stuff.

Honest question: Are Crystal Dynamics the most underrated developer in the industry? I think there's an argument to be made.

This has moved ahead of Fallout 4 on my hype list.

I downloaded the Definitive version for free, so I'm going to run through that between bouts of Halo 5 then drop the money on the new one.
At this particular moment? They could be.

Of all time? Hell no.

Loved the last tomb raider on 360. I will be waiting for pc release for this game though.

Someone please tell me they removed qte's completely.

Well that's why I said "many games" not all of them. I also realize that it won't affect everyone the same way, but I do think it's a problem and I certainly don't think that saying "Well, that's just what video games are like" is a solution.

(Personally, I had to stop playing Bioshock Infinite a couple of months ago because I couldn't deal with the killing. I'd just gotten a new PC and had been looking forward to the playthrough a great deal, but... the game wants you to care about Elizabeth, and Booker, and everyone, and it's just not possible for me when I'm mowing through hundreds of people)
Alright, I think we're on the same page about this. you're right that it affects everyone differently. for me it's about what the character is killing for (story) and how many enemies I ultimately have to kill in each section (gameplay) most shooters that i've played has the protagonist as a soldier of some sort. the last one I played was GTA, where i'm playing as crooks, so the narrative isn't really a heroic one. but even then, I found the amount of enemies that I had to take down in certain missions pretty annoying (I'm not finished with the campaign yet). it sounds like you think a little similarly because with your bioshock because you have to do so much killing while still thinking about your companion characters' developments.

There's a lot going on, and a lot to do. Tons of collectibles to find, runes to decipher (language skills), hunting to do, etc. I could see completionists getting that much out of it.
Yup. The original was similar. If you only focused on the story, you could easily finish by the 10-15h mark. But for 100% completion you had to do basically everything, which easily brought the playtime up to ~25 hours for me.

Yup. The original was similar. If you only focused on the story, you could easily finish by the 10-15h mark. But for 100% completion you had to do basically everything, which easily brought the playtime up to ~25 hours for me.

Yeah. I found most of the collectibles in the DE, but it got to be too much. I try to find as many as I can during my play throughs and did the same on the last-gen version.

I won't be finding everything in this. It's kind of overwhelming.

Hawk269

Oh, ok. Sounds more like what I expected. It'll probably take me a solid 30 then.

Are there collectibles in this game aside from audio logs and are they worth anything? I mean is there any reason other than collecting to collect them? It's one thing that really annoyed me about the last game. There was no real reason to collect the stuff.

From what I have read there are a lot of Tomb's that you don't see/find if you are just trying to finish off the story mode. There are also crypts to explore that are off the beaten path that normally are not found unless you explore a bit.

Sounds like the game is a winner and from all the videos it looks fantastic.

By not copying other developers.

giphy.gif

Given this is written by the same person that did the first game and the original Mirror's Edge, I'm going to have to take any review that thinks it has a "great" story with a mound of salt.

Let's be fair: Rhianna Pratchett has said that by the time she was brought in to write Mirror's Edge's story, most of the game was already complete. If you play through the game again, you'll realize that most of the story was created to weave together pre-existing scenarios. I honestly think she did a pretty good job all things considered.

If GAF is anything to go by this game is gonna be HUGE on PS4 and PC lol. I will double dip on PS4 for a GOTY edition if I like it enough on Xbox...

I could possibly see this working out to benefit Square in the end...

Maybe it has an OK release on Xbone, and then a year of waiting and DLC/patches/hype and boom it has a big multiplat release.

Essentially 2 releases for one game, and a year of public attention and hype. This could be a (crappy) thing that benefits them big time.

Maybe it has an OK release on Xbone, and then a year of waiting and DLC/patches/hype and boom it has a big multiplat release.

Essentially 2 releases for one game, and a year of public attention and hype. This could be a (crappy) thing that benefits them big time.

Problem with having two staggered releases is that you essentially have to double your marketing budget to get the same level of excitement at both periods. Not really so great.

Of course, MS may well be covering the cost of this—it's really just hard to say without knowing the terms of the deal.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Problem with having two staggered releases is that you essentially have to double your marketing budget to get the same level of excitement at both periods. Not really so great.

Of course, MS may well be covering the cost of this—it's really just hard to say without knowing the terms of the deal.

Destiny basically did it, but I agree on the costs, and a different type of game.

Arklite

The Legend/Anniversary/Underworld trilogy was and will always be better Tomb Raiders than these games.

Legend was almost as much of a heavily scripted action game as this, and with Rise pumping up its puzzle presence i wouldn't write it off completely. The writing part I don't have too much faith on, though.

ZQQLANDER

Anyone know of a day one patch?

Thinking about picking this up tomorrow, but am living out of a hotel for four weeks. Having issues connecting xbox one to the internet and didn't know if there was a mandatory download.

Reebot

Let's be fair: Rhianna Pratchett has said that by the time she was brought in to write Mirror's Edge's story, most of the game was already complete. If you play through the game again, you'll realize that most of the story was created to weave together pre-existing scenarios. I honestly think she did a pretty good job all things considered.

Its not terrible, but its hardy good.

Tomb Raider 2013 had a perfectly serviceable story for this type of thing.

I'm sure this one will be fine too.

Not 1 for 1, but it sure worked for GTA V.

JayB1920

running 87 now, 3 point below my buy rating :(

There are always some lower scores that bring the average down. This game has 35 reviews 9/10 and higher and 3 below 8/10 on metacritic out of 64 reviews. I wouldn't let 3 points prevent you from buying the game.

Reebot

Its not that odd a sentiment.

You can't pretend the new Tomb Raiders don't live firmly in Uncharted's shadow. Its kind of unavoidable, given that both are functionally going for the same vibe/experience, but CD doesn't do a ton to differentiate themselves.

Its not that odd a sentiment.

You can't pretend the new Tomb Raiders don't live firmly in Uncharted's shadow. Its kind of unavoidable, given that both are functionally going for the same vibe/experience, but CD doesn't do a ton to differentiate themselves.
Okay, but you can't pretend that Uncharted didn't straight up rip a lot from OG Tomb Raider as well as Indiana Jones.

Everything is a remix.

That said, TR isn't even going for anything remotely NEAR Uncharted. They're thriller/horror 3rd person shooters that happen to have set pieces in them, yet the emphasis is firmly on the shooting. Uncharted is a fun romp all about the set pieces with a lot of filler shooter in between.

Reebot

Okay, but you can't pretend that Uncharted didn't straight up rip a lot from OG Tomb Raider as well as Indiana Jones.

Everything is a remix.

I didn't pretend, and yeah "Indiana Jones rip-off" is exactly what I was hinting at.

Naughty Dog beat them to the punch. If you ask me, the biggest thing associated with Uncharted unique from Indy, and then adopted by Tomb Raider, is verticality. I'd love more set pieces from Tomb Raider that had nothing to do with falling, tumbling, or cliffs.

I didn't pretend, and yeah "Indiana Jones rip-off" is exactly what I was hinting at.

Naughty Dog beat them to the punch. If you ask me, the biggest thing associated with Uncharted unique from Indy, and then adopted by Tomb Raider, is verticality. I'd love more set pieces from Tomb Raider that had nothing to do with falling, tumbling, or cliffs.
Tomb Raider (2013) and ROTTR both use verticality in a way that we haven't seen in Uncharted yet, but seems to be featured in Uncharted 4. Most combat scenarios in TR take place on multiple levels/platforms which require Lara to move around a lot and use the environment. If you look at the gameplay footage for Uncharted 4 of the forest shoot out, there's a hell of a lot more verticality there - it's almost similar to TR 2013.

I'll give you that 90% of TR's set pieces consist of falling, though. :p
you have to fall before you can Rise

zsynqx

I have just always pronounced it that way since the original PS games. Probably caused I dated a Laura lol

Did she dump you because you kept calling her Laura, when her name was Lara?

Edit: Joke btw, rereading my comment I apologize if that came off as mean spirited.

Reebot

Tomb Raider (2013) and ROTTR both use verticality in a way that we haven't seen in Uncharted yet, but seems to be featured in Uncharted 4. Most combat scenarios in TR take place on multiple levels/platforms which require Lara to move around a lot and use the environment. If you look at the gameplay footage for Uncharted 4 of the forest shoot out, there's a hell of a lot more verticality there - it's almost similar to TR 2013.

I'll give you that 90% of TR's set pieces consist of falling, though. :p
you have to fall before you can Rise

I'm not saying Uncharted is always superior or anything like that, there's a lot I prefer about Tomb Raider. And I'll cleanly say that Tomb Raider stand leagues above U3.

Overall, I just meant that both steal from the same Indiana Jones pile. Uncharted, however, had the whole modern "hero is falling" video game set piece (now featured in everything from Assassin's Creed to Resident Evil, of all places) before Tomb Raider.

To reclaim a bit of personal identity, I wish Tomb Raider would branch out and give me some incentive scenes in the spirit of classic Indy shenanigans.

zsynqx

Here I was naive to thhnk, "wow, no mention of Uncharted yet in this thread", ...

Silly me.

These comparison will be silly until UC4 comes out, as I have a feeling that game is going to be quite a shift in direction for the series, especially in terms of player agency/storycraft. TLOU influence will be strong with that one. :)

Top Bottom