• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider's garbage combat

The input lag is real. Hopefully it does not carry over to the PC version.

Given that the Xbox 360 version, which was ported by Nixxes, is pretty much lag free, I'm fairly confident that the PC version, which is also being ported by Nixxes, won't have any problems.

No joke. Its a great game that falls apart once you're facing alerted enemies rushing you.

There's less of that stuff in Rise of the Tomb Raider than in TR: 2013, but the imprecision of input and cover make each of those battles a frustrating trial and error slog. And the last act of the game is unfortunately heavy on that stuff.

It definitely needs a patch to put it in line with TR: 2013 at least.

The input lag is bad. But it didn't stop me from rocking the (weapon spoiler:)
bolt-action rifle

Just keep your distance and take your time.

AerialAir

Banned
It's the M$ effect going on. All that partnership money had to go somewhere, like optimization for the actual exclusive console...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I cranked the sensitivity up and managed fine, but the input lag is definitely real.

If only we had actual gaming critics to notice these things as well.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Max Payne 3's shooting mechanics are so good.

Yeah, which is why I don't understand how folks can say GTA V's shooting/controls are good when they are a major step down (and to be fair probably limited by old gen hardware in terms of they can't add all that in addition to what GTA V does)

Max Payne 3 on a controller is good, MP3 on a mouse/kb is fuckin godlike. You could argue against the heaviness of Max but I thought the combat was superb. I really really want GTA VI to have those controls/gore.

Kezen

Banned
Given that the Xbox 360 version, which was ported by Nixxes, is pretty much lag free, I'm fairly confident that the PC version, which is also being ported by Nixxes, won't have any problems.

I'm not certain this has something to do with the porting house, I'm afraid the issues goes deeper, perhaps the result of their rendering setup and the PC version will be based on the xbone sku (hopefully enhanced in places) so chances are the input lag will make its return.

I have only played about 10-15 minutes on someone's else xbone and the input lag is definitely there. Not enough to put me off thankfully.

mrblonde2099

Neo Member
I've been playing this heavily the last few days and it is so bad. I don't remember it being this bad in the original 2013 TR. I actually thought I had my TV's "game mode" turned off. It seems like there is a half-second delay in almost everything that you do in the game. And it's highlighted in combat. I've resorted to spec'ing into all of the explosive/crafting skills because aiming with a gun is terrible.

Has anyone played it on the easy difficulty that has aim-assist on? I wonder if that will make the game playable in combat.

Otherwise, this game is fantastic. Imagine if it had the responsiveness in combat as say, MGS5 or Gears of War.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not certain this has something to do with the porting house, I'm afraid the issues goes deeper, perhaps the result of their rendering setup and the PC version will be based on the xbone sku (hopefully enhanced in places) so chances are the input lag will make its return.

I have only played about 10-15 minutes on someone's else xbone and the input lag is definitely there. Not enough to put me off thankfully.

Surely though the 360 version had to start from somewhere ? Nixxes weren't working from some '360 codebase' surely ? They probably had to port it from the xbox one sku and make changes as necessary, I don't see why the lag couldn't be fixed in porting to PC.

Kezen

Banned
Surely though the 360 version had to start from somewhere ? Nixxes weren't working from some '360 codebase' surely ? They probably had to port it from the xbox one sku and make changes as necessary, I don't see why the lag couldn't be fixed in porting to PC.

The 360 is substantially paired back when it comes to visuals, and I suspect this is where the input lag stems from.

Oh man I couldn't agree more... but for totally different reasons.... I honestly didn't have any issues with the controls I loved everything else about the game but the horrible combat really stuck out to me, and it felt considerably worse then TRDE because of how horribly balanced the game is.

I loved the idea of bandaging in combat and rummaging goods but it's so easy to find everything that you basically have unlimited bandages as well as unlimited overpowered AoE arrows which might the combat ridiculously easy even on survivor.

In addition to that sometimes you get in large spaces and the guys just swarm you and they don't give you any cover and they are throwing grenades at you. You basically just run around shooting guys and bandaging yourself. It's not fun or challenging. I couldn't wait for the combat sequences to be over since the exploration and open world stuff was so good in comparison to the shit ass combat.

Not once have I read a complaint about the combat, am I the only one who thought it was complete shit?

Anon67

I'm glad to know this isn't just me.

And after a few hours of playing, it was kinda concerning that this was on giant bomb's GOTY list and no one had even mentioned the delay (unless I am remembering wrong). I know that Metacritic isn't really important but I can't understand how a game with this massive problem has an 86.

I like how everyone seems to agree that the controls/combat/story/characters are all shit.
Its drop dead gorgeous, filled with nooks and crannies in larger, better crafted hub areas to explore and take in the world building, satisfying as hell to clamber and climb and swim and swing about, and the input lag is only a problem in the full on action combat scenes, with most encounters solvable through stealth kills.

There's plenty there to love besides the story and especially the mushy combat. And in that sense this truly is a Tomb Raider game.

nib95

Banned
No idea why no one in the reviews mentioned this. Everyone in the OT noticed it though.

Just goes to show how fucking clueless video game reviews are nowadays.

I was thinking the same thing. Really enjoyed the game, but the gunplay and aiming were lacklustre and a big step back. Sort of like UC3 launch, only worse, and without a quick follow up patch. The cover system wasn't very intuitive either. Thankfully poison gas arrows meant I didn't have to do a whole lot of ordinary shooting for much of the games combat scenarios.

Rising_Hei

Doesn't this kind of input lag happens when a console tries to pull something off that's just too much for the console?

I remember playing some PC games on my old PC and getting terrible input lag because i needed a much better PC.

I honestly thought i was the only one. That game was damn near impossible to play since i was playing Blops 3 and MGS5 at the time of its release. It was night and day.

hawk2025

It's really bad -- a gigantic step back from TR2013.

I'm hoping the PC version fixes the control issues, but ultimately I think the combat scenario themselves were also pretty underwhelming throughout the game.

Lots of other great stuff in there, though. It was a weird compromise since they had done so well with TR2013 before.

LordOfChaos

Apparently the 360 had better input lag than the XBO iirc, from the DF tests? Hopefully that means it's something they can patch away soon, but yeah, it really should be shipped working better.

Doesn't this kind of input lag happens when a console tries to pull something off that's just too much for the console?

I remember playing some PC games on my old PC and getting terrible input lag because i needed a much better PC.

I mean, not really. It's certainly more likely to be a problem in more intensive games, but there's no direct relation.

What you usually get are lower frame rates—which is a form of input lag, but not what's happening in RoTTR on the Xbox One.

I"m surprised you're aging PC increased input lag. If you weren't also getting framerate drops, this might have been a software issue (some strange process running in the background), or it could have been a placebo.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The input lag is definitely a thing, and I find the combat to be the weakest part of the game. I'm really enjoying the game, but the dead zone issue is a problem.

Its drop dead gorgeous, filled with nooks and crannies in larger, better crafted hub areas to explore and take in the world building, satisfying as hell to clamber and climb and swim and swing about, and the input lag is only a problem in the full on action combat scenes, with most encounters solvable through stealth kills.

There's plenty there to love besides the story and especially the mushy combat. And in that sense this truly is a Tomb Raider game.

I'm in agreement. There's a lot I love about the game.

KyleP29

It was one of my biggest gripes with the game.

Luckily many areas offer you the ability to try and stealthily take care of an area so it was something i tended to try and avoid at every cost.

Hopefully they figure this out before their next go.

Mindman

I sure hope so. 60 fps should help a bit as well.

Boggles the mind that the devs haven't said a word about this.

Marvel

could never
I must admit, as much as I love the game that input lag for aiming sucks the joy out of combat situations.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just mentioned this in the other thread.

I have never once had an issue with input lag in my 30 years of gaming.

This is the first game I noticed it in. At first I couldn't figure out why the combat was so awful compared to the first game. Then it slowly started dawning on me that my inputs were lagging a tremendous amount.

It makes those wave-based battles in the game an absolute nightmare. I basically just have to spam poison arrows as I have almost zero accuracy given the lag.

Has Crystal acknowledged te problem at all?

Played extensively through the game. My review of it is hereT.
The camera controls were okay-ish. I noticed they were clunky the first time I got into a shoot out, but the feeling only lasted around 5 minutes before I got used to it. Every once in a while it rears its ugly head, especially when enemies get very close to you, but aside from that I didn't find it to be worth mentioning. At least not as much as some people do.

Toa TAK

Banned
People are exaggerating when they claim that the game is unplayable due to this.

It's not. You can shootbang all you want on Survivor and cheese it like a charm. I don't doubt its there, but it hasn't been noticeable or a problem whatsoever in my playthroughs.

Fredrik

Heard people talk about this and haven't noticed it.
Same here. I went full on stealth and only used the bow though, as everyone should, might lessen the problem perhaps.
I was more annoyed that it ran at 30fps, not okay for an action game imo, but not even that hurt my experience enough to remove it from my GOTY list.

icespide

Banned
People are exaggerating when they claim that the game is unplayable due to this.

It's not. You can shootbang all you want on Survivor and cheese it like a charm. I don't doubt its there, but it hasn't been noticeable or a problem whatsoever in my playthroughs.

not a single person in this thread called it unplayable. it is very noticeable though

Top Bottom