• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider's garbage combat

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I haven't played this particular game, but in the past gaf has had a tendency to confuse input lag with deadzone/acceleration. The latter in particular, often goes unnoticed, and when you combine acceleration with large deadzone, you get a real mess. And people often call it "input lag".

Sometimes it really is input lag. But a lot of the time it's just poorly designed analog settings. Remove dead zone and acceleration, you get games that are highly regarded for their smooth controls.

Hmmm just finished on the Xbox One and didn't have any issues with any form of lag and the combat was far from "garbage" but that term is a favorite around here. Sorry to hear you had so many issues, I thought the game was fantastic.

Hmmm just finished on the Xbox One and didn't have any issues with any form of lag and the combat was far from "garbage" but that term is a favorite around here. Sorry o hear you had so any issues, I thought the gane was fantastic.

Everything is either great or garbage. I've yet to play Rise of the Tomb Raider but it seems to be a minority of people that have actually seen this as an issue so it can't be that bad. I really wish people would stop throwing around such hyperbole like garbage, trash, terrible, worst game ever and shit.

cameron

I like how everyone seems to agree that the controls/combat/story/characters are all shit.

But, it still managed to appear on a few GotY lists. I'll never understand.

Not everyone. A certain group of people keep frothing how amazing the combat is.

Evolved1

Hmmm just finished on the Xbox One and didn't have any issues with any form of lag and the combat was far from "garbage" but that term is a favorite around here. Sorry to hear you had so many issues, I thought the game was fantastic.
Be happy you're not sensitive to it. Some people don't notice or aren't bothered by low fps, tearing, etc. Doesn't mean those things don't exist.

TheYanger

Be happy you're not sensitive to it. Some people don't notice or aren't bothered by low fps, tearing, etc. Doesn't mean those things don't exist.

No, it's not that, it's TV settings for most folk. I'm sensitive to it, I just don't get it. The DF video was many times laggier than mine ever was.

I hate to have to keep posting this, but it's not just 'you don't notice it' - it wasn't there for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNDWExzLxbQ

turn off all the bullshit on your tv.

mrblonde2099

Neo Member
I don't understand how some of you can say you haven't noticed it. Not trying to call anyone out, I'm just saying I wish I didn't notice it. I feel like the game could be so much better than it already is.

If you isolate this one aspect and compare it to games that do it so much better, like COD or MGS5, it highlights the problem. One thing about the recent COD games that I think they do better than most games is the responsive controls, and tight bullet physics. This game I feel is lacking that.

Like many have said before though, it's not unplayable and it's an otherwise great game. I'd put it right up with Bloodborne as best game of the year in all other aspects.

Toki767

Not everyone. A certain group of people keep frothing how amazing the combat is.

I mean, I guess if you never really shoot much and stick to crafting grenades/fire arrows/whatever along with doing stealth kills, you wouldn't notice how bad the combat is.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The 360 is substantially paired back when it comes to visuals, and I suspect this is where the input lag stems from.

Ah right fair point. I'm pretty certain if Nixxes can get rid of it they well but I guess we'll see soon enough.

It helps after you upgrade the arrow but there is some lag and lots of screen tearring. Wish I had waited for the pc version had I one it was coming this soon but I've been enjoying the game so it's cool I guess.

icespide

Banned
No, it's not that, it's TV settings for most folk. I'm sensitive to it, I just don't get it. The DF video was many times laggier than mine ever was.

I hate to have to keep posting this, but it's not just 'you don't notice it' - it wasn't there for me.

it can't be that cut and dry or else we'd have this discussion for every single game that involves shooting. I would imagine that most devs do some type of work to compensate for whatever amount of lag a player might have with their set up (tvs, receivers, etc.) so that most games play fine.

there's something else going on in tomb raider that exacerbates it

mrblonde2099

Neo Member

Your video looks like my experience with the game as well. I never noticed any input lag.

I actually pay very close attention to this because I played through all of Uncharted 1 with all the crap turned on when I first got a decent HDTV and I had terrible input lag not knowing that it was my fault lol. I make sure almost all of the post-processing effects on my TV are turned off and, just in case, make sure whatever "game mode" is ON. I imagine a lot of people here do the same. Even making those adjustments, this game has input lag that is way worse than other games. Also, I play Halo 5 on the same console and TV and don't see the same problems. I still believe it's a game/engine issue.

There's no bullshit on my TV.

Any chance they patched it? Maybe it isn't an issue outside the combat encounters? Or some other variable at work?

Can't say exactly what the issue was personally, but I absolutely noticed it, felt like I was fighting the controls during those battles, and it was the one thing that brought the game down dramatically. It was also the mix of mushy and unresponsive and overshooting controls with encounters that toss you headlong into a small arena with limited cover and several heavies rushing you from multiple directions. Those encounters were just a shit-show all around.

Everything besides that was gravy.

Bessy67

I actually pay very close attention to this because I played through all of Uncharted 1 with all the crap turned on when I first got a decent HDTV. I make sure almost all of the post-processing effects on my TV are turned off and, just in case, make sure whatever "game mode" is ON. I imagine a lot of people here do the same. Even making those adjustments, this game has input lag that is way worse than other games. Also, I play Halo 5 on the same console and TV and don't see the same problems. I still believe it's a game/engine issue.
It could very well be a game/engine issue, it just apparently doesn't affect everyone.

hawk2025

C'mon.

You honestly and genuinely believe that somehow everyone has TV settings issues with this game, and just this one game?

What else are they doing with their Xboxes?

I have *zero* bullshit on in my TV, and I bought it specifically to minimize input lag. You are wrong.

TheYanger

There's no bullshit on my TV.

Any chance they patched it? Maybe it isn't an issue outside the combat encounters?

Can't say exactly what the issue was personally, but I absolutely noticed it, felt like I was fighting the controls during those battles, and it was the one thing that brought the game down dramatically. It was also the mix of mushy and unresponsive and overshooting controls with encounters that toss you headlong into a small arena with limited cover and several heavies rushing you from multiple directions. Those encounters were just a shit-show all around.

Everything besides that was gravy.

They didn't patch it, that video I linked is from when people first started trying to claim I was full of shit, look at the date (November 15th).

\
it can't be that cut and dry or else we'd have this discussion for every single game that involves shooting. I would imagine that most devs do some type of work to compensate for whatever amount of lag a player might have with their set up (tvs, receivers, etc.) so that most games play fine.

there's something else going on in tomb raider that exacerbates it
I don't disagree with that and never have, but somehow people seem to believe that there's no possible way the game is playable, yet for most people it apparently is, so there's video proof that it can in fact run just fine. Similarly, I played it once at a friend's house and had a very difficult time hitting anything, but he also has a ridiculously large tv with shitloads of random features on.

C'mon.

You honestly and genuinely believe that somehow everyone has TV settings issues with this game, and just this one game?

What else are they doing with their Xboxes?

I have *zero* bullshit on in my TV, and I bought it specifically to minimize input lag. You are wrong.

Not sure, but I don't believe people who say "You're just not sensitive to it" when I can put a fucking video showing that it's not just me not 'being sensitive'

That's as ridiculous as any other generalization, ergo I offer it as proof that it is totally possible to run the game just fine.

Fredrik

Hmm. I've suspected for a long time that many people don't have their TVs set to game mode since so many are okay with 30fps too, all modern TVs has frame interpolation or whatever the effect is called that smoothens out stuttery motion which is on by default unless game mode is on, and it adds lots of latency.

icespide

Banned
They didn't patch it, that video I linked is from when people first started trying to claim I was full of shit, look at the date (November 15th).

\
I don't disagree with that and never have, but somehow people seem to believe that there's no possible way the game is playable, yet for most people it apparently is, so there's video proof that it can in fact run just fine. Similarly, I played it once at a friend's house and had a very difficult time hitting anything, but he also has a ridiculously large tv with shitloads of random features on.

Not sure, but I don't believe people who say "You're just not sensitive to it" when I can put a fucking video showing that it's not just me not 'being sensitive'

That's as ridiculous as any other generalization, ergo I offer it as proof that it is totally possible to run the game just fine.

literally no one in this thread has said that its unplayable, just that it's extremely noticeable

No acknowledgement by the devs either.

Totally unacceptable.

Don't give me the TV bullshit either because I'm playing on a benq xl2420te. (Measured between 2-5 millisecond input lag)

It may actually be a dead zone issue but the aiming is frustrating and feels terrible regardless. Ps2 third person shooters have better aiming controls.

Doubtful.

Lots of access to the creative team and having super likable pr guys pays dividends sometimes. Crystal dynamics is pretty good at that sort of thing.

Note: I'm not saying corruption or that the game is bad, just that it is harder to shit on 'friends' in public than strangers.

I once got banned for discussing review scores. Apparently it's all due to reviewers opinions and there is no outside influence at all.

At any rate, is should be easily fixable.

TheYanger

literally no one in this thread has said that its unplayable, just that it's extremely noticeable

Way to pick out a single hyperbolic word? My point stands, It's not 'you're not sensitive to it but it's there' - and any time someone says they didn't get it they're a liar. Look at my video ffs, it's not 'extremely noticeable', it's as slight as it is in any other game.

But input lag is visible in this video.

I never said there wasn't, but there's a big difference between what people are reporting and what I'm showing. If you frame by frame my video it's something like 2-3 frames of lag.

hawk2025

\

It's a random-ass video with no objective measure of the input. Your "fucking video" means nothing, and does not show it is possible to run the game just fine. All it shows is that your measure of "fine" and other people's measure of "garbage" may overlap.

Way to pick out a single hyperbolic word? My point stands, It's not 'you're not sensitive to it but it's there' - and any time someone says they didn't get it they're a liar. Look at my video ffs, it's not 'extremely noticeable', it's as slight as it is in any other game.

No, it isn't. The video doesn't show that.

LowParry

It's playable but it's goddamn annoying. I got maybe a couple hours in and just gave up. At least the PC version is soon so I'll pick that one up.

I don't disagree with that and never have, but somehow people seem to believe that there's no possible way the game is playable...
Stop making shit up.

And because it was brought up earlier, this is Digital Foundry's take:

Input latency: One issue we struggled with throughout the game is its input latency. Prior to receiving the game, we spent some time revisiting Tomb Raider on both PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 and found that Rise of the Tomb Raider feels less responsive. Aiming is more cumbersome and difficult here to the point where it feels more as if you're pushing the camera rather than directly controlling it. It's not an issue during exploration or puzzle solving, but combat suffers.

Maybe its their TVs?

psychotron

I've known about lag, game mode, extra processing, etc. for years. I'm very sensitive to input lag, and this game has it.....a lot of it. It's good of you to point this out though, as many have no idea about extra processing causing additional lag.

sTiTcH AU

It is there, but it's no worse than any other third person shooter at 30fps for me. Everyone should go back and try uncharted 3 on ps3 and say rise of the tomb raider is worse.

Shin-Ra

I'm seeing 4-6 frames delay in this footage.

Ideally you need high framerate camera footage and your thumb not obscuring the stick so it's clear when it's pushed beyond the dead zone.

hawk2025

It is there, but it's no worse than any other third person shooter at 30fps for me. Everyone should go back and try uncharted 3 on ps3 and say rise of the tomb raider is worse.

Yes, everyone should go back and try one of the other bad cases of input lag in third person shooters.

TheYanger

Stop making shit up.

And because it was brought up earlier, this is Digital Foundry's take:

Maybe its their TVs?

And Digital Foundry's video is significantly worse than mine, which is why I made it in the first place when it came up early on.

"making shit up" - ok, glad you guys have really picked up on the word playable or unplayable as a definitive marker rather than the context of what is being said. This entire thread is about the game being essentially unplayable, whether the word was used or not. It isn't.

Can you do the same for a combat encounter?
I'd have to find something to prop my phone up, but if you genuinely want me to sure.

And Digital Foundry's video is significantly worse than mine, which is why I made it in the first place when it came up early on.

"making shit up" - ok, glad you guys have really picked up on the word playable or unplayable as a definitive marker rather than the context of what is being said. This entire thread is about the game being essentially unplayable, whether the word was used or not. It isn't.

I'd have to find something to prop my phone up, but if you genuinely want me to sure.

Yeah, that would be great. I'm genuinely curious if there's some variable at work that only kicks in during certain situations or if it's something else entirely. Perhaps during a more demanding combat scenario?

hawk2025

No it isn't.

If no one said unplayable, the thread is NOT about the game being essentially unplayable. What the hell?

to that point, lots of posts in this thread are about folks still enjoying the game DESPITE the lag issues

Exactly, as I myself said in this thread. Dude created a giant strawman on his head and there's not even anyone holding the thing up.

Orayn

I still got through it and mostly enjoyed the combat, but yeah, the input lag was distractingly bad. Unlike the slightly wonky aiming camera angles, I never really got accustomed to it. Definitely interested in replaying on PC at 60 FPS.

jacobeid

Banned
It was a really big problem for me during my time with it. Wish I would have waited for PC!

Not that we know it'll be fixed or anything....

Fredrik

Maybe the bow has no latency issues? As I said I never noticed the latency issue either and basically only used the bow through the whole game. Or maybe it's just big deadzones and some people move the sticks too little/slowly?

ethomaz

Banned
You can play the best version of the game... 360 is way more fluid and smooth.

They really did something wrong with the Xbone version... maybe a patch can fix this mess.

Anon67

Everything is turn off on my end (with game mode on as well) and I have no issues with any other game on every platform I have. I still see lag in your video, so I'll assume that you probably have a TV with less input delay than mine, making the game's controls more bearable for you. This probably has nothing to do with the bullshit that I can toggle off.

Please don't tell me to buy another TV.

Laws00

wwait wait your library carries video games?!

mine has been saying they would for the last 15 or so years

Manga has just become big all of a sudden

Evolved1

People who play with high stick sensitivity (>70%) are not as prone to issues with deadzone or acceleration. They don't feel it.

It's low sensitivity players or those looking for a smooth 1:1 feel on the stick that are most impacted by it.

These threads are always the same.

Gxgear

Can't recall any of the reviews mentioning this vital piece of information. Will keep a mental note to follow up with the PS4 version.

Top Bottom