• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League cross-network play (PS4/Xbox) ready, only needs Sony approval

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I genuinely can't believe you've called it a crass PR move

Like how did you turn it into a move of hostility against Sony, is it because Sony have to risk looking bad if they ignore it? Is it because it poses the slightest risk of making Sony look bad at all?

It's legitimately just a pro-consumer move, it was great that Sony is open to it before, it's great that Microsoft is open to it now, if they're both open to it simultaneously, wow great. Theres this prideful stance that Sony got turned down on prom night with FFXIV and now their exisfence has to be some sassy Beyonce song about ex's, you as a consumer should want this, I as a consumer should want this. I totally get sticking up for a platform you like but this isn't something that even requires a defence force from any side of the equation.

Crass PR move, jeeesus

Are you kidding me? Instead of going on some main stage and act like you have this novel idea, how about you talk with someone you want to partner with or be down with this professionally in an instance like this first, because it sure as shit made it look like, "we calling you out son", and that was the exact narrative in the gaming community after that day.

Even Sony was like, 'Da fuq? This is a first we are hearing of this.'

They knew what they were doing... even the RL developers made it a little more clear in this very article.

I still strongly believe Sony will be okay with it once they see what is involved (if no different than the PC).

Hopefully it can be sorted sooner rather than later.

I have a couple of friends and my brother who didn't double dip like I did. So it would be nice to now be able to play with them anyway.

I believe it still is not that easy, since it is by chance through matchmaking, is it not?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

I have a couple of friends and my brother who didn't double dip like I did. So it would be nice to now be able to play with them anyway.

Alebrije

its fine on PC and xbox too what is your point?

I am talking about games like Tekken or others that in just one console has a small userbase so a unify system would help

About rocket League has a tons of users on PC and also PS4 since cam free with plus , do not know about Xbone but since you have to pay for it maybe is smaller than PC and PS4

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

But if you double dipped, can't you play with them anyway?

907MT2M.jpg

The only benefit of this is that if you want to identify a console warrior, all you need to do is see where someone comes down in this thread.

AZ Greg

Nice, get it done Sony so I can play with my Xbone friends.

And Psyonix, get cross-platform party play up so we can queue together instead of only being able to do private matches.

I really want Star Wars Battlefront to be next on the list of cross-platform multiplayer games between XBO and PS4. No PCs with shooters. Sorry, gang. This would definitely help with populating all of the playlists.

If this ever happens with Rocket League, that is.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
But if you double dipped, can't you play with them anyway?

907MT2M.jpg

Technically, yes. But I have way more friends and relatives who bought it on Xbox One. So it would be nice to be able to play with them all. Which I still technically can on PS4, but as the one who us usually runs the party and shit on Xbox, I'd still like to be able to do that. Which begs the question, will I be able to play with my brother?

LewieP

I really want Star Wars Battlefront to be next on the list of cross-platform multiplayer games between XBO and PS4. No PCs with shooters. Sorry, gang. This would definitely help with populating all of the playlists.

If this ever happens with Rocket League, that is.
Neither Sony or MS will ever force you to play multiplayer against someone with a keyboard and mouse if you're using a controller.

People on PC can use controllers.

Consoles can support keyboard and mouse.

Why would you want to withhold cross platform mutliplayer from PC rather than just have a robust system for maintaining a level playing field whilst supporting as many platforms as possible?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Technically, yes. But I have way more friends and relatives who bought it on Xbox One. So it would be nice to be able to play with them all. Which I still technically can on PS4, but as the one who us usually runs the party and shit on Xbox, I'd still like to be able to do that. Which begs the question, will I be able to play with my brother?

I was just kidding around, I understand why you want this to happen, as do I.

SOR5

Are you kidding me? Instead of going on some main stage and act like you have this novel idea, how about you talk with someone you want to partner with or be down with this professionally in an instance like this first, because it sure as shit made it look like, "we calling you out son", and that was the exact narrative in the gaming community after that day.

Even Sony was like, 'Da fuq? This is a first we are hearing of this.'

They knew what they were doing... even the RL developers made it a little more clear in this very article.

I believe it still is not that easy, since it is by chance through matchmaking, is it not?

I just cannot understand how (subjectively interpreted) relationships between corporations can stop you wanting cross play or putting a negative spin on it. Theres a time when the sports team shit has to go and you have to go okay, we as consumers desire this. Fuck whats going on behind the scenes, if we don't have this its bad when Microsoft did it and it would be just as bad if Sony did it. We want both of them to finally just say yes and put this through. I hope you do anyway because the only people opposed to this seem to be doing it out of pride or fear of a non-existent thread towards Sony's sales.

Neither Sony or MS will ever force you to play multiplayer against someone with a keyboard and mouse if you're using a controller.

Why would you want to withhold cross platform mutliplayer from PC rather than just have a robust system for maintaining a level playing field whilst supporting as many platforms as possible?

I can't imagine that number is significant. How would Sony/MS check if a PC-user is K/Ming and exclude them from the pool?

EDIT: Also, this is my only bias against PCs. Shooters... and maybe RTSs. I'm totally fine with Street Fighter V and Rocket League and games like that having a diverse pool of players.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I just cannot understand how (subjectively interpreted) relationships between corporations can stop you wanting cross play or putting a negative spin on it. Theres a time when the sports team shit has to go and you have to go okay, we as consumers desire this. Fuck whats going on behind the scenes, if we don't have this its bad when Microsoft did it and it would be just as bad if Sony dis it. We want both of them to finally just say yes and put this through. I hope you do anyway because the only people opposed to this seem to be doing it out of pride.

Where did I say I did not want it? In fact, I quoted other people who constructively interpreted the benefits over the 'negative' and agreed with them.

Either way, how they announced it was in such a way, was to back Sony into a corner by a blindsided statement. MSFT said they will be offering cross platform play on ALL PLATFORMS and CONSOLES... knowing damn well they never even approached Sony with info ahead of time. That ensued a shitstorm when Sony had to respond with, "We have always been open to this, however, this is just as new news to us as it is to you all, so we need to evaluate this internally", and people have been all over them with the "ball in your court" tirades and 'what if' attacks, lol.

All because a company who tried to look novel, failed to announce to the other console makers ahead of time, before making a declarative statement. They knew what they were doing.

Anyways, it is done, last year's news. I expect this to not be an issue if it is no different than how it is now with the PC cross play.

Remember when the Sony defence force got all pissy about people saying this?

Funny how things turn out.

When things are true, they are until they're not. Ball was in Microsoft's court since the inception of cross-network play. Now, it's in Sony's court and they need to act and say "Let's do it". However, with Sony leading this generation they can just play Microsoft's card last generation, shrug and say "we have more things planned".

Doea Rocket League have a single player mode? Is it good? To get hang of things before going in green is why I want to know.

Rocket League does have a single-player mode that is indeed nice practice for new players. There are even some trophies related to playing it. That being said, training, free play, and custom matches are the best way to prepare for the online playlists.

Edit: Also, you can unlock the "common" cars and accessories through offline play, but anything uncommon, rare, etc., must be unlocked from playing online games in the playlists.

Doea Rocket League have a single player mode? Is it good?

Yes, it has a career mode, but the bots can be torturously dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLl9PM3ezAY

Quite often I've found myself chasing down balls they've knocked towards, or are actively dribbling toward their own goal.

The all-AI team doesn't do this as often, so I'm not sure if it's a "reacting to human inputs" issue, or if the team mates are intentionally designed to be dumb as a difficulty factor.

Mind you, this was before a fairly large patch they did recently, so maybe that's improved.

NahaNago

I can understand a constructive discussion, but when I have seen comments in the past and present about this same very topic with people imply Sony shouldn't do it cause it will help xbox players or ms...that to me is.

This also helps devs too, it might open up options for them to potentially support a game longer and make more money off a particular game depending on the MP structure. I know there are legal issues to sort out and other things, but just I see more positives than negatives.

This definitely could help out several games that were meant to have a long term online community like fighting games but at this point in time where Sony seems to be dominating the console playing field this benefits more the xbox than it does Sony right now. Now if Sony's thought process were more towards trying to help out the smaller developers instead of the likes of EA and Activision with their yearly games then cross-network play makes sense for them. If this was nearing the end of the xbox 360 era and ps3 era when each company was nearly neck and neck i would say of course do this but when you could possibly have 3 times more consoles than the competition by the end of the year why bother.

Would we actually see Warthogs in our game on PS4 though? Wouldn't we just see a generic car? I doubt if Sony allows this they'll also allow their IP to be displayed on another platform, meaning Sweet Tooth

Sadly, we would never see either one of them on either system I do not think. They would show up as a default car.

Nope. They get swapped out with default cars with similar hitboxes.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

RdN

Rocket League devs really are delivering on this front.. As soon as Microsoft announced that Live was now able to do cross-play, they jumped in and had the functionality working very fast.

Now they have cross-play between PS4 and Xbone ready to go while Sony hasn't even given the go ahead... Impressive.

Now... As much as I want this to happen, I don't think it will? Why? Because Sony is the market leader, and they have absolutely no incentive doing this. Their games have the superior user base and that's something that's worth boosting about. Letting Microsoft and it's smaller user base be a part of it just doesn't make sense.

Before someone says it, I know Sony has a history of being pro cross-play. But that was when it was behind everyone with the PS3. Things have really changed since then.

We'll see!

Because I don't want extra hardware investment be required to play a level playing field?

Hadn't this been posted a while back along with Sony's response of, "nah, we're good..." ?

They literally have no incentive to do this.

Hadn't this been posted a while back along with Sony's response of, "nah, we're good..." ?

They literally have no incentive to do this.

Sony has never said this.

Link

Responding to Microsoft's invitation, Sony issued an encouraging but indecisive statement.

"PlayStation has been supporting cross-platform play between PC on several software titles starting with Final Fantasy 11 on PS2 and PC back in 2002," it said. “We would be happy to have the conversation with any publishers or developers who are interested in cross platform play."

I'm guessing this could be a way out as yet. Sure MS said they're ok with it and Sony implied the same, but there's obviously more to it than a single handshake. As a guess I'd imagine most of the discussion will be around what information will need to transfer to make it work the way they intend and if it's agreeable to both parties.

My hope is that they'll be open to devs having in game accounts linked to tags/ID's so we could have in game chat cross platform from the devs who opt for it.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Rocket League devs really are delivering on this front.. As soon as Microsoft announced that Live was now able to do cross-play, they jumped in and had the functionality working very fast.

Now they have cross-play between PS4 and Xbone ready to go while Sony hasn't even given the go ahead... Impressive.

Now... As much as I want this to happen, I don't think it will? Why? Because Sony is the market leader, and they have absolutely no incentive doing this. Their games have the superior user base and that's something that's worth boosting about. Letting Microsoft and it's smaller user base be a part of it just doesn't make sense.

Before someone says it, I know Sony has a history of being pro cross-play. But that was when it was behind everyone with the PS3. Things have really changed since then.

We'll see!

They're still open to cross platforrm even on ps4, I'd say even more open consisdering the number of titles cross platform play

see5harp

As a PC player I don't even know why it matters at this point. You still have no way to get into parties with people on other platforms.

mrg6290

So Sony is open to it, just not ready to actually allow it?

As a consumer, it's basically the same result. However, the RL devs seem optimistic, so I will be too. Hopefully Sony flips the switch soon.

So basically, the ball has been in Sony's court for a long time.

What was I reading last time about MS having some policies in place that would make Sony hesitant?

That depends on what you consider 'a long time'.

Microsoft had an explicit policy against cross-platform play outside of the Xbox Live ecosystem (you could only have XB-PC cross-play if both versions were using Xbox Live servers) for 11 years with only one or two exceptions during that entire time.

Sony has had 4 months to respond to their policy change.

For some reason, a portion of GAF turned into Veruca Salt.

Sony has never said this.

Link

http://www.gametribute.com/6316/sony-doesnt-want-ps4-cross-network-play-with-xbox-one/

That’s find and dandy, but what everyone is really interested in is PS4 and Xbox One cross-network play. When asked about the possibility of uniting the two home consoles, he said:

“Because PC is an open platform it’s much more straightforward. Connecting two different closed networks is much more complicated so we have to work with developers and publishers to understand what it is they are trying to accomplish.

“We also have to look at the technical aspect – and the technical aspect could be the easiest. We also have to look at policy issues and business issues as well.”
Business Issues = no real reason for us to do this. It's rather straightforward.

Bessy67

I doubt it'll ever happen. There really doesn't seem to be any benefit to Sony, and honestly they could lose some sales if games started to be cross-network between PS4 and Xbox. A lot of people get consoles to play games with their friends but if they can play with their friends regardless of console then that is no longer a selling point.

Kayant

We'll see!
This reasoning still escapes me somewhat because at the end of the day cross-play in games isn't going to be a standardise thing anytime soon/common because of what's involved in order to make it happen. The same reasoning of losing "player base" also applies to MS of course to a much lesser extend. There was no need for them opening their network because it wouldn't have hurt their Xbox Play plans as it was limited to the Win store games in the beginning but here we are.

There have been several PC/PS4 games released this gen so far including just recently paragon so this simply isn't the case.
http://www.gametribute.com/6316/sony-doesnt-want-ps4-cross-network-play-with-xbox-one/

Business Issues = no real reason for us to do this. It's rather straightforward.
Which applies to all parties involved in getting cross-play to work across different platforms. It's not like it's just technical issues that exist and have to be ironed out for example like the way RL handles exclusive platform cars which is a business/technical issue as well as likely being a policy one.
they have already said
We would be happy to have the conversation with any publishers or developers who are interested in cross platform play.
so they are as "open" to cross play.

Top Bottom