• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League cross-network play (PS4/Xbox) ready, only needs Sony approval

Bgamer90

Banned
Sony has absolutely nothing to gain here. If it doesn't make cents then it doesn't sense.

I said Sony not gamers It's a business They gain nothing from this.

Online gaming isn't free on PS4. Some PS4 owners who are big fans of this game may want to play it with Xbox friends. So it can actually become a reason for why some (more than likely a small number) would want to continue on subscribing to PSN.

ps3ud0

If I was a middleware developer Id be thinking of creating a system to pick up hooks from XBL/PSN etc and provide those party/friend/chat/messaging services which could be licensed by game devs.

If I was MS I would actually be attempting to do that as part of these cross-network negotiations using Skype/Cloud services.

ps3ud0 8)

If they did Overwatch crossplay it would obviously only be between consoles and not PC for exactly the reason you just said.
Ranked content only against same console, unranked content cross network.

I mean no doubt really that the high end of the M/KB skill base would beat any console player but for the most part plenty of lesser skilled players exist on every platform.

If I was a middleware developer Id be thinking of creating a system to pick up hooks from XBL/PSN etc and provide those party/friend/chat/messaging services which could be licensed by game devs.

If I was MS I would actually be attempting to do that as part of these cross-network negotiations using Skype/Cloud services.

ps3ud0 8)

Yup, I had the same thought. I could see real money in this for middleware devs.

Really don't get the Sony doesn't need to do this, this doesn't benefit sony type of comments (same for MS).

Think about yourselves people, not Sony. This move can potentially be a paradigm shift in future MP games. Games that may have otherwise have a low community might potentially now be able to have a huge online community and can even be supported longer by developers if the demand is still there.

The console war fanboy mentality is literally too strong, give it a break for once.

SOR5

Some of you are arguing about business feasibility, however some of you seem to really be arguing against this ever being implemented for some reason?

Why?

It's not something that needs to be defended or anything like that, as consumers you should all be in favour of this.

CrayToes

Really don't get the Sony doesn't need to do this, this doesn't benefit sony type of comments (same for MS).

Think about yourselves people, not Sony. This move can potentially be a paradigm shift in future MP games. Games that may have otherwise have a low community might potentially now be able to have a huge online community and can even be supported longer by developers if the demand is still there.

The console war fanboy mentality is literally too strong, give it a break for once.

Yeah, it's weird. You would swear some of these people are Sony shareholders. Absolutely everyone stands to gain from something like this.

The idea of PS/Xbox sharing communities in more MP games is tantalising. Bigger player base for games like Battlefield, Rainbow Six and Titanfall? Yes please!

Yeah, it's weird. You would swear some of these people are Sony shareholders. Absolutely everyone stands to gain from something like this.

The idea of PS/Xbox sharing communities in more MP games is tantalising. Bigger player base for games like Battlefield, Rainbow Six and Titanfall? Yes please!
Don't forget PC too. Not for shooters but lots of other games.

EGM1966

I really hope shooter devs will consider crossplay once mouse support is on Xbone
I see no problem with connecting to other players with the same control scheme
Yeah they should. I like idea of cross play as obviously it should ensure bigger single communities for games.

Looking forward to Sony wrapping up their paperwork and seeing if this works out.

kaiyo

Unified playerbase will probably never exist. This is not PSN and XBL talking to each other. This is each one talking to a 3rd system that compiles everything. To have a unified list you would have to create the systems yourself and tie them together but I have now clue how the voice chat system or party system would work.

Might be possible with in game friend list (sperate list from psn/xbl/steam), and in game voice chat

mreddie

tumblr_nphb9i6uMs1qksk74o1_500.gif

Might be possible with in game friend list (sperate list from psn/xbl/steam), and in game voice chat

Much more complicated with policy though. The reason RL is a front runner is because Psyonix has already controlled what can be seen and heard across platforms. Platform holders don't like content they can't control being seen or heard on their platforms(Avatars, text or voice chat). In Rocket league all that is already solved through only allowing Quick Chat and only seeing avatars from your platform.

Some of you are arguing about business feasibility, however some of you seem to really be arguing against this ever being implemented for some reason?

Why?

It's not something that needs to be defended or anything like that, as consumers you should all be in favour of this.

Yeah makes no sense to me.

Don't forget PC too. Not for shooters but lots of other games.

Great example, racers and other games like RPG's and such with MP components that normally fade away quickly on PC will see great benefit (further benefit) to this as well.

To me personally, this is a great initiative and all gamers should unit to see this happen.

nampad

As a consumer, I will only benefit when Sony allows it.

But in this case, the benefit will only be there when you can party up cross-platform. Last time I played Rocket League itwas not possible for PC-PS4 cross platform play so I couldn't care less for that feature.

In the end it only makes the player base bigger but that's not what this game is hurting for. I have friends on Steam while being on PS4 and we can't play together.

Ombala

The player base on PS4 is massive and probably alot bigger then the one on XB1 for this game (and many other games) so I could see why MS would like this.
Don't see the point for Sony.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Yeah that's basically a win-win situation ... But I do understand that some technicality needs to be solved first.

Sony has been open to cross play on any platform before but non had an infrastructure as big as Ms (Steam excluded considering it's open to linux so a bit open too).

Things may bez slown too by the legal side probably to protect either Sony or Ms in case of hack or things like that.

I still think it'll be done eventually once those little details sorted by both companies.

Either way it's nice that finally Ms opens its online a bit it will probably lead to a better life for multiplayer games.

Warablo

I think Sony are open to the idea of cross network play with PC. I just don't think they are keen to do it with Microsoft.

I can find games of Umbrella Corps pretty fast on the PS4. I hear it's harder on the PC. Let's unify this shit and keep these player bases alive.

Oh man, this would be so great for fighting games as well. Those die off so fast, and a bigger pool for everyone would help.

I think Sony are open to the idea of cross network play with PC. I just don't think they are keen to do it with Microsoft.

But they were okay with FF being cross platform, right?

Bread

Banned
It doesn't benefit Sony, it benefits Playstation owners. Jesus people it's like you don't even play the games.

Acerac

Banned
On the contrary, one of the biggest excuses for people buying XB1's is "my friends are on Xbox". If you could hypothetically own a PS4 to enjoy all of it's benefits and still play with Xbox friends, that might boost PS4 sales.

At a certain point that is a major factor for most people. The big 2 consoles really haven't done a great job of differentiating themselves.

At a certain point that is a major factor for most people. The big 2 consoles really haven't done a great job of differentiating themselves.

I really wouldn't say that. For me, the PS4 houses a bunch of a Japanese titles, and soon VR will be on the way. Their exclusives are pretty fun too, IMO.

MS, on the other hand, is keeping things up with their own exclusives and PC cross buy.

I think the casual base is considering other things rather than shared player pool. And a shared player pool isn't going to allow them to chat with people on the Xbox One to the PS4, or vice versa, which means setting up games is going to be a lot harder.

I hope this happens but I get the feeling Sony will either ignore this or outright refuse.

History tells us that's not the case.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

That is where their exclusives (first party demographic targets) and OS level/community feature sets come into play.

FZW

The funny thing about this thread is how much ppl going on the defense, affirming that their favorite company has been open to this idea first and the other company is only doing it because they are losing and blah blah blah.... Eye roll worthy.

Honestly who cares.... just make it happen.

Acerac

Banned
I really wouldn't say that.
That's fair, I should have said for many, not for most.
That is where their exclusives (first party demographic targets) and OS level/community feature sets come into play.
I'm not saying it is inherently a bad thing, but it just takes away reason to allow freedom here. Sony taking away a major reason to get the PS4 over the Xone seems questionable from their perspective.

NahaNago

This isn't console war fanboy mentality but simply positives and negatives for the company discussion. Why a video game company should do this or that is the norm when talking about any decision these companies make.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's fair, I should have said for many, not for most.

I'm not saying it is inherently a bad thing, but it just takes away reason to allow freedom here. Sony taking away a major reason to get the PS4 over the Xone seems questionable from their perspective.

To be fair, they are not taking away anything. They have always been open to it, were blind sided in a crass PR move, and need to evaluate what it entails.

Again, you aren't going to be able to chat with your friends from a PS4 to a XB1. You are getting pooled in with those players. I doubt you'll be able to communicate with them at all.

So it's not like that friend's list you have on the XB1 is going to be worth anything. If you happen to run into them, then that's that. As far as I understand, anyway.

And this would have to be something implemented across the board. If only a handful of games pursue this idea, then it's not going to hurt either console. Just a cool bonus for the gamers.

This is how I see it.

Again, you aren't going to be able to chat with your friends from a PS4 to a XB1. You are getting pooled in with those players. I doubt you'll be able to communicate with them at all.

So it's not like that friend's list you have on the XB1 is going to be worth anything. If you happen to run into them, then that's that. As far as I understand, anyway.

And this would have to be something implemented across the board. If only a handful of games pursue this idea, then it's not going to hurt either console. Just a cool bonus for the gamers.

Acerac

Banned
To be fair, they are not taking away anything. They have always been open to it, were blind sided in a borderline crass PR move, and need to evaluate what it entails.

As we stand now, yes, they are not removing that reason. But allowing for cross play would be removing it. Granted, it'd be better for gamers if they were to remove that restriction, but it just seems like it'd be shitty for them from a business perspective, and I can't imagine prioritizing the wants of people playing games over the theoretical bottom line.

I would love to be wrong.

That would be pretty awesome, hopefully it will happen! Cross play has always been something I've wanted, never thought it actually might

Pejo

Gold Member
Wonder if they'll have PSN vs. XBOX tournaments. Winner gets to have dinner in a tub with Phil Spencer and Mark Cerny.

This isn't console war fanboy mentality but simply positives and negatives for the company discussion. Why a video game company should do this or that is the norm when talking about any decision these companies make.

I can understand a constructive discussion, but when I have seen comments in the past and present about this same very topic with people imply Sony shouldn't do it cause it will help xbox players or ms...that to me is.

This also helps devs too, it might open up options for them to potentially support a game longer and make more money off a particular game depending on the MP structure. I know there are legal issues to sort out and other things, but just I see more positives than negatives.

I'd love this for GTAV. Most GTA Online gaffers seem to be PC or PS4, but I bought GTAV for Xbox because most of my real life friends are on Xbox. R* only allows you to transfer your profile once, so switching to PC or PS4 at this point for GTA Online wouldn't happen for me.

Yeah, the argument against it is driven entirely by fanboyism. You know that if the roles were reversed, if Rocket League were asking Microsoft to approve it and MS was dragging their feet while Sony jumped at the opportunity, then the same people "against" it for Sony would be criticizing Microsoft (and vice versa).

It's only beneficial.

SOR5

To be fair, they are not taking away anything. They have always been open to it, were blind sided in a crass PR move, and need to evaluate what it entails.

I genuinely can't believe you've called it a crass PR move

Like how did you turn it into a move of hostility against Sony, is it because Sony have to risk looking bad if they ignore it? Is it because it poses the slightest risk of making Sony look bad at all?

It's legitimately just a pro-consumer move, it was great that Sony is open to it before, it's great that Microsoft is open to it now, if they're both open to it simultaneously, wow great. Theres this prideful stance that Sony got turned down on prom night with FFXIV and now their existence has to be some sassy Beyonce song about ex's, you as a consumer should want this, I as a consumer should want this. I totally get sticking up for a platform you like but this isn't something that even requires a defence force from any side of the equation.

Crass PR move, jeeesus

Top Bottom