• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Amazon's new game console is core oriented, Amazon snapping up game devs

Not a good time to launch a good console competing with the PS4 and Xbox One, unless it's very cheap or has an amazing game library.

Maybe Phil Fish got snapped up by Amazon due to his infinite talent as a dev and the whole tantrum thing was all a ruse.

lol

No doubt it'll be all digital. Amazon (like Apple) has a key advantage there in that they don't have any 'physical' history with retailers and customers to worry about.

Still, more competition is usually good. Unless the new Amazon console takes gaming in a direction we don't like, but still ends up with a majority market share as a result. Then we'll be grumpy.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Oh shit Ouya Nintendo, get your act together, the Amazonia is going to be snatching your demographics.
Yes, I'll get it Amazon, cuz I love you. '3

Jarmel

Banned
This would be interesting if it was a true 4th competitor but chances are it'll just use Android and steal the lower income gamers.

Valnen

Sounds kinda like BS to me. I don't think they could succeed when their competition is Sony, Xbox and Nintendo, all more widely known brands than Amazon.

People had this same skepticism about Microsoft entering the console market didn't they?

Now this is super interesting. Amazon is a juggernaut, things could get heated pretty fast in the console market. The plot thickens!

Sounds kinda like BS to me. I don't think they could succeed when their competition is Sony, Xbox and Nintendo, all more widely known brands than Amazon.

Amazon is a huge brand, but it certainly isn't 'cool'. That said, people don't buy an Amazon eReader, they buy a Kindle.

Gori

Oh no you're so wrong here. I'd say Amazon is one of the most respected brands right now. Certainly more than Xbox or Nintendo.

http://issuu.com/clear-ideas/docs/branddesire See page 32 for the US.

It's a more desired brand that has a proven track record in making hardware (with partners, of course) that also has a cloud server setup that is A LOT bigger than their competitors. This is interesting.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad

Pretty sure Amazon is a household name by now. Pretty sure everyone in the entire universe knows them.
Out of all the companies mentioned in this thread, I only hate apple.

Does anybody remember the last time there was more than 3 consoles on the market or are we acting as if the Wii U doesn't exist? :p

Cipherr

ehhh.......I'm still more interested in seeing what Apple & Google are gonna do.

In the end, if they really want to disrupt or enter the core gaming market, this is how they will have to do it. With DEDICATED gaming machines. They aren't ever going to take over the core gaming space with smartphones and tablets and no real controllers etc.

or are we acting as if the Wii U doesn't exist? :p

It almost doesn't honestly.

Metal B

People had this same skepticism about Microsoft entering the console market didn't they?
But Microsoft had a least some experience with games, was also a software company with strong connections and was willing to lose a lot of money to enter the market. Amazon would start from complete zero and properly even lose more money.

I would be very surprised if this cane to pass. Then again, if Amazon looked at my list of purchases over the last four years, I'm certain they'd see a lot if money to be made in gaming.

Would love to see a new contender with real power in the market. That would be truly exciting.

Pretty sure Amazon is a household name by now. Pretty sure everyone in the entire universe knows them.

And yet I still can't get those bastards to give me two day shipping to Alpha Centauri. I mean, it's the closest goddamn star to our galaxy and they can't make it work.

SMT

MS had the money to buy its marketshare... how much cash does Amazon have?

How much money does one of the biggest retailers in the world have? More money than you can possibly imagine.
But Microsoft had a least some experience with games, was also a software company with strong connections and was willing to lose a lot of money to enter the market. Amazon would start from complete zero and properly even lose more money.

Whatchu talkin' bout Willis, Amazon will buy you, your whole family, your future, your ancestors, and your dog too.

Amazon can buy devs.

Fracas

#fuckonami
An Amazon console could be incredible with solid support, but I don't see it becoming huge. Here's to hoping.

Well consider how amazon loves low margins they could easily fit in the gaming world. Hell it would probably do better than wiiu lol

The M.O.B

Amazon needs to get legit versions of those big 3rd party games, not the "mobile" versions but the actual big budget versions.

They would have to pay companies big money to get them to make quality ports of big 3rd party games for Android though.

Kind of like what Nintendo needs.

Some people hate Sony, some people hate Microsoft, some people hate Nintendo, some people hate Apple...

But everyone loves Amazon.

Lots of people hate Amazon, think the hate o meter nowadays goes Sony < Apple < Nintendo < Amazon < Microsoft. Think there's more pity and frustration about how outdated Sony and Nintendo have been doing their business than any real hate. Google is probably the only company I know of that I have almost never seen any hater for.

boinx

Oh no you're so wrong here. I'd say Amazon is one of the most respected brands right now. Certainly more than Xbox or Nintendo.

http://issuu.com/clear-ideas/docs/branddesire See page 32 for the US.

I was talking more about worldwide perspective. For example, i'm pretty sure here in Finland most people would not know what Amazon actually is, some ofcourse but not many. I actually do use it but that's because i'm a fucking nerd and i import geeky stuff so i'm not exactly representing the general public here.

All in all i'm gonna remain skeptical about this, something cool might come about but we'll see.

Could be interesting but i don't see much coming expect maybe something low powered .
If they do come good they will have my attention .

Jachaos

Taxpayers should hate it.

And stores that need to charge taxes. They're the origin of so many places closing due to unfair advantage. I'm happy I've got to pay taxes here when I order online (from Amazon and others). Otherwise everyone I know would be ordering everything delivered to their door and tons of people would be looking for something new to pay their expenses with.

Lots of people hate Amazon, think the hate o meter nowadays goes Sony > Apple > Nintendo > Amazon > Microsoft. Think there's more pity and frustration about how outdated Sony and Nintendo have been doing their business than any real hate. Google is probably the only company I know of that I have almost never seen any hater for.

Oh god, I'm dying. You can't be serious; do you really believe the majority likes Sony more than Apple, and Amazon is only slightly less hated than Microsoft? Everyone loves Amazon and Apple, Microsoft is not hated so much as disregarded, and Nintendo and Sony are old news.

Gori

I was talking more about worldwide perspective. For example, i'm pretty sure here in Finland most people would not know what Amazon actually is, some ofcourse but not many. I actually do use it but that's because i'm a fucking nerd and i import geeky stuff so i'm not exactly representing the general public here.

All in all i'm gonna remain skeptical about this, something cool might come about but we'll see.

Well, as you saw it was top 10 in australia, uk and us. Here in Sweden amazon isn't too big either, but worldwide? It's BIG.

Blackage

Well the kindle holds a healthy enough market share to keep Amazon producing it(Like 4%), it really depends on how much of the gaming market Amazon is hoping to capture, and how much they actually CAN capture.

Is it a proper AAA capable console, though? Going through news, everything says its an android console which sounds like ouya to me. Not really excited if thats the case.

So not true. For example in my country ( Belgium ) we have to import from Amazon France.. Cause there is no such thing as an amazon Belgium. So here a lot of people buy on Belgian websites.

Also.. My job consists in selling computers and man... There are a LOT of people that don't trust doing payments online.. Anyway I'm not saying the console wouldn't have success but saying amazon is worldwide known everywhere is just not true...

Edit: too late..

Top Bottom