• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Amazon's new game console is core oriented, Amazon snapping up game devs

apana

Something about this doesn't feel right. Releasing a console is a huge undertaking, it takes years to do. Now all of a sudden they are building a console, buying game devs, and releasing it in a matter of months?

Oh god, I'm dying. You can't be serious; do you really believe the majority likes Sony more than Apple, and Amazon is only slightly less hated than Microsoft? Everyone loves Amazon and Apple, Microsoft is not hated so much as disregarded, and Nintendo and Sony are old news.

There had been a lot of hate for Sony back at the PS3 reveal era, but Sony has improved their standing a lot with the PS4, also their Xperia line of phones have been better received recently. Not everyone loves Amazon and Apple, there's quite a few people who blatantly hate them and swear never to come near any product related to them.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I would be very surprised if this cane to pass. Then again, if Amazon looked at my list of purchases over the last four years, I'm certain they'd see a lot if money to be made in gaming.

Would love to see a new contender with real power in the market. That would be truly exciting.

And yet I still can't get those bastards to give me two day shipping to Alpha Centauri. I mean, it's the closest goddamn star to our galaxy and they can't make it work.

It's because of all the Centauri Civic holidays you seem to be getting, and your workers refusing to help. It's okay, pay the $80 premium, and I'm sure Astro UPS will leave it at your doorstep for your neighbours to nab, or let it float into a wormhole.

So they're going to release a "core" oriented console by the end of year and haven't actually announced any details about it with only a few months left in the year? Yeah, okay. I really can't see this be anything more than a better version of Ouya. Whatever that'd be.

I don't understand what is the point of releasing a console when PS4, Xbox One, GTAV, Pokémon etc. are releasing at the same time. It sounds suicide to me.

Something about this doesn't feel right. Releasing a console is a huge undertaking, it takes years to do. Now all of a sudden they are building a console, buying game devs, and releasing it in a matter of months?

I'd guess a Steam-Box like fixed spec PC build could be viable. I don't know about a custom built architecture. Don't know if they want to go that far, but who knows.

SparkTR

They were apparently recruiting as far back as early 2012 for an unannounced project that was set to be "bigger than Kindle".

sikkinixx

Better get it out sooner rather than later. I'm already on the fence about buying an xbone after already owning (going to buy) a PS4, Wii U, Vita, 3DS and a gaming PC. I sure as fuck ain't gonna buy yet another console.

And knowing amazon only Americans will get AAA games while the rest of us get jack shit.

There had been a lot of hate for Sony back at the PS3 reveal era, but Sony has improved their standing a lot with the PS4, also their Xperia line of phones have been better received recently. Not everyone loves Amazon and Apple, there's quite a few people who blatantly hate them and swear never to come near any product related to them.

I'm not a huge Apple fan , but that doesn't change the fact that they sell millions of tablets and smartphones. The majority of people I see with smartphones have iPhones, and the same goes for tablets and, to a lesser extent, ipods. I've literally never seen anyone with a Xperia phone. Not saying everyone does, but the majority of the U.S population loves Apple.

As far as Amazon goes, more useless anecdotal evidence but I've never talked to anyone that actively disliked Amazon or refused to use their services.

boinx

Well, as you saw it was top 10 in australia, uk and us. Here in Sweden amazon isn't too big either, but worldwide? It's BIG.

I should have worded myself better, yes Amazon clearly is big but i'm just not sure that if they were to enter the video game market with a console, could they really become a threat to the ones there now?

Amazon is most likely the most popular shopping website in the world, I dont see this console having as much success though, most likely be as popular as the Wii U

apana

They were apparently recruiting as far back as early 2012 for an unannounced project that was set to be "bigger than Kindle".

Even that is not a lot of time, but it would be possible. What stuns me is how quiet they have kept it all. For a project like this, you would think there would be leaks from the moment they even started contemplating it.

Jachaos

General public doesn't really care for Sony, like they don't really hold an opinion on them, many like Amazon though, but as this thread has shown many are not too fond either. Pretty sure if you didn't have to pay taxes at stores in Montréal but you had to pay taxes when ordering from Amazon they'd be completely unknown here because no one would use them. Bypassing tax laws in the US has made them big, but someone buying something from them because it's necessarily cheaper makes no sense, it's an unfair advantage. It would be bankrupt or have never taken off if the situation was reverse. Meanwhile here you pay taxes when ordering from them just like you would when you buy anything and it makes sense, and they're doing fine and it's all good, no problem with that. But what they've become and the reason they've become that, I'm not much of a fan of. Plus they send way too well targeted emails.

So really I don't dislike them/hate them, but I don't like them either, what they are is not because they've been that much better than others. Plus a few friends have had a month of waiting for a game or late day-one shippings or bad selling experiences... I don't see why I'd like them. They're useful for some things but I won't go out of my way to make it the first place I check. I'm grateful they've been making Futureshop have all these awesome promotions/trade-ins/Tsilon and deals though.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Even that is not a lot of time, but it would be possible. What stuns me is how quiet they have kept it all. For a project like this, you would think there would be leaks from the moment they even started contemplating it.

They must have been paying the devs well, and they must have had to sign a lengthy Non-Disclosure Agreement.

SMT

Amazon is most likely the most popular shopping website in the world, I dont see this console having as much success though, most likely be as popular as the Wii U

This is Amazon we're talking about, they'll probably give it to you for free, or at a massive discount during some promo. They're not cheap like so and so, they probably have faith in their software.

Novoitus

Banned
Lots of people hate Amazon, think the hate o meter nowadays goes Sony < Apple < Nintendo < Amazon < Microsoft. Think there's more pity and frustration about how outdated Sony and Nintendo have been doing their business than any real hate. Google is probably the only company I know of that I have almost never seen any hater for.

you're kinda delusional if you think apple's "hate o meter" is that low

One of those Tweets says Amazon's been poaching a bunch of talent from Microsoft. That's bad news for Xbone game development if true.

I can't imagine Amazon wouldn't create a cheaper console than PS4/Xbone, like Kindle to iPad. I don't think it's realistic to hope for a more powerful console from Amazon unless it isn't launching for a few years.

GHG

They only started recruiting in 2012? It's an OUYA clone.

I think its most likely going to be cloud based rather than a straight up OUYA clone. The only similarities i can see it having with OUYA is that the UI will probably be android based.

SMT

One of those Tweets says Amazon's been poaching a bunch of talent from Microsoft. That's bad news for Xbone game development if true.

I can't imagine Amazon wouldn't create a cheaper console than PS4/Xbone, like Kindle to iPad. I don't think it's realistic to hope for a more powerful console from Amazon unless it isn't launching for a few years.

You know what's so good about working with an x86 framework? It's a pc. All the consoles you see in front of you are PCs with brand name skins. They're similar, but the PS4 is using more powerful components. There was some truth to what Carmack was saying, in how they use the same architecture.

If the Amazon console is using x86, it's no wonder how they got it ready in such a short time, all Amazon had to do was copy the innards of the other consoles, and put their own spin on it.

LOL everyone is thinking custom architecture like ps3 cells, or whatever quad cores the 360 had before. Scrap that from your minds the consoles you are getting are pcs, that you can assemble yourself.

The only thing that will vary is the OS, or 'XMB' on the system, the exterior aesthetics, and the prices.

All Amazon needed to do was design the box, and hire devs.

Essentially, ''press button here to be game lord''.

Abounder

Banned
Well when the Xbox and PS4 become out of stock then I can see people thinking about an Amazon Alternative providing that it can actually play next gen titles. The hardware required doesn't seem that daunting for a giant like Amazon and it gives them an opportunity to push their own services into their own box and get more ad revenue like the Kindle

Footos22

Not even talking about "sales tax" or whatever the situation is in Ameri-land. They're cheating the UK out of billions in tax revenue. Scum.

And not a single fuck was given.
Everythings price would jump up if they did close that loophole.

Id rather see the benefits rather then see some MP use that cash to go on holiday.

Everyone who moans about amazons tax practices should get out more.
every Facebook post they put on there some jumped up little cock snot crys about tax. when we wouldn't even see the beneift of it anyway.

Nikodemos

Amazon's employment practices lick sweaty donkey butt. And they cheat and weasel their way out of paying imposts/tarriffs/taxes/etc., simultaneously knocking out of business their 'tax-honest' competition and depriving many locales of necessary funds. They b dikholz.

On-topic now, a market has been noticed for an all-digital ultracompact games&media device (based on low-power mobile phone/tablet components). Right now, attempts have been either too expensive or somewhat underwhelming. There's a particular sweet spot to be attained in terms of cost/performance, but since nobody is clairvoyant, it'll take a fair amount of trial and error by different designers until that sweet spot is reached.

ash_ag

Amazon is walking the tech company path everyone expected them to walk. I suppose introducing a game console will further augment their intentions in the eyes of people. Along with the Google console rumor, it seems next gen will be game-changing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can't think of anything Amazon could offer me that I would want to spend money on (more loosely, something anyone would want). I'm inclined to believe this might be a Wii U/Current Gen competitor or some half thought out idea and product like the OUYA, which makes me even more wary. Underpowered products or those comparable to current gen consoles just don't cut it, especially for the price such devices will demand.

Even if they wanted to target Sony and MS, they would need a Halo-scale blockbuster sort of miracle to even get noticed. And there's too much luck involved there to bank on.

Android console and core oriented ?

mj-laughing.gif

SMT

Yeah, I'm not sure the market could support a fourth competitor. Consider me skeptical.

By the looks of it, the market isn't supporting the third, so this one is moving in with a console into the keyhole.

TriGen

If someone could release a cheaper digital console ($150?) that can get AAA games and has the android stuff I could see it working. And you don't need to have XBO/PS4 power to do it, as current-gen consoles are strong enough to get the basics like CoD and AC. (Just instead of any exotic design you just have current-gen power but you design it around the x86) So, I could see Amazon potentially trying that. That at least sounds like an android console that still has the "core" in mind.

Also, that fact that they don't need to use boxed retail could make it easier for them to get going -- and likely helps with keeping this quiet.

Now, I'm not saying they'll do this, but I could see someone trying to blend a core console with an android console.

Trike

If it is a legit console, would this mean that not Amazon games/consoles wouldn't be sold on Amazon anymore? If not from Amazon not wanting to competition, surely Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo wouldn't want to help fund their competitor. Unless the mutual benefits are too great.

Or hell, maybe it is just a third party 3DS and that explains why Amazon won't sell any more.

By the looks of it, the market isn't supporting the third, so this one is moving in with a console into the keyhole.

I knew that one was coming!

Still, I don't know if I believe Amazon could successfully launch a console in this market. We'll see...

I doubt that would stop someone from trying. And its fifth console, dont forget about Ouya!

Oh yeah. How's that thing doing? Lighting the indie gaming world on fire yet?

Ikael

Software comes first in this industry, Amazon. It comes first ahead of marketing, hardware and even distribution. So I don't get how they are exactly going to enter into that field with zero experience or weight in that field, unless you are pulling an Ouya (and we all know how well these things go).

Top Bottom