• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Amazon's new game console is core oriented, Amazon snapping up game devs

That's a really interesting development here, Amazon one of the most successful companies in the world and they can afford the multimillion gaming machine investment that many can't. However, that doesn't mean their new machine will be as powerful as the PS4/Xbone, we have to wait and see what they'll show us.

Kabouter

Not even talking about "sales tax" or whatever the situation is in Ameri-land. They're cheating the UK out of billions in tax revenue. Scum.

Yeah, it and various other online retailers are abusing how archaic the VAT directive is when it comes to online transactions. I mean, it's great if you're Luxembourg (with the minimum 15% VAT rate), but every other country under the VAT directive is getting screwed out of tons of money by online retailers. Valve for instance also does this. If I buy a Steam game, I do it from Luxembourg based Valve S.a.r.l., and I pay 15% VAT. Clearly for online transactions, the place where the service or product is sold should be where the customer is based, not where the company doing the sale is.

Beyond that, I'm assuming Amazon like many others use transfer pricing manipulation to achieve a minimal corporate tax bill in high tax countries, shifting it to countries with little or no corporate taxes (like Bermuda) via a few other countries (like the Netherlands and Ireland).

TriGen

Whatever it is, if the rumor is true (meaning it exists and is launching this year), we should here about it no later than September I would think.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I knew that one was coming!

Still, I don't know if I believe Amazon could successfully launch a console in this market. We'll see...

Oh yeah. How's that thing doing? Lighting the indie gaming world on fire yet?

Amazon is also like Steam in that it has crazy deals. Remember Tony? He was practically begging us to buy games from Amazon, he also had it in with the devs. Now Tony and Amazon want in on the money they lose in translation. Want money from exclusives, which will be marked down further because they get more cake.

Dang0

Looking at the tweets, the controller remark makes me wonder if they're going to make their own steambox, using their own digital distribution instead of steam.

Spongebob

Banned
That's a really interesting development here, Amazon one of the most successful companies in the world and they can afford the multibillion gaming machine investment that many can't. However, that doesn't mean their new machine will be as powerful as the PS4/Xbone, we have to wait and see what they'll show us.
Fixed.

golem

Damn it would be awesome of Amazon comes out of the gates with a more powerful unit than the big two. Kind of hard to believe theyve kept it all under wraps this long though.

TriGen

Looking at the tweets, the controller remark makes me wonder if they're going to make their own steambox, using their own digital distribution instead of steam.

That's my guess. If it's real and actually "core" oriented at all.

I doubt its going to be a powerful system, but if it is and they put Tony in charge of digital sales. . . imagine the competition between amazon and steam sales.

In all likely hood its going to be an Ouya like console probably.

XeNoN89

Banned
Hmm interesting. I've been thinking that we need somebody new in the console game ti spice things up a bit, I was expecting it to end up being Apple, but this sounds good as well. Hope something comes of this.

Zeknurn

It does make far more sense for Amazon to make an entertainment hub considering they have a solid ecosystem rather than it did for Microsoft or Sony when they entered. I have no doubt that this Kindle Box will be a huge success and it will out-GoogleTV the actual GoogleTV.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
If it is directly in competition with the Steambox, there is no hope for Gabe.
Amazon has reach, and can offer their system on the cheap, ship everywhere, bulk containers. They also slash the prices of their products.

I have no idea if Steam has that much reach, and many people already own PCs, they wouldn't keep up with the peasantries people have to offer. Console gamers like consoles, PC gamers like Steam. Who likes boxes, grandpa?

Steam's livelihood is digital distribution, while Amazon has other ventures.

I don't want a Steambox, I already have a powerful PC that has Steam, but I'm interested Amazonia.

TheD

The Detective
This. I don't understand all this zergrushing towards Android. On anything other than a mobile device, it's not that great an OS. A custom Linux-based OS would be better (larger library of games) and would avoid the stigma of '$0.99'.
Uhh, you might want to look up what android is.

Dang0

So lets see, that PC, Mac, Linux, PS3, PS4, 360, Xbone, Wii U, 3DS, Vita, Ios, Android, Ouya, Gamestick, Project Shield, Razor Tablet, Steambox, and now Amazon. Does anyone else think the market is getting a bit crowded?

SparkTR

Well it was Valves plan not to have one 'Steambox', but to have a sort of 'OS/service' that other companies can utilize for their machines, kind of like what Android is doing in the mobile space.

Amazon has reach, and can offer their system on the cheap, ship everywhere, bulk containers.

I have no idea if Steam has that much reach, and many people already own PCs, they wouldn't keep up with the peasantries people have to offer. Console gamers like consoles, PC gamers like Steam. Who likes boxes, grandpa?

Does the Amazon box have hats? I bet Steambox has hats. People like hats.

I can't see Amazon entering the market with an offering to rival the big 3 but i doubt they would enter the market with a low-powered OUYA type device either. It's got to be an On-Live streaming style service using their EC2 farms and the infamous infinite power of clouds. Well that would be my guess.

Sez

So lets see, that PC, Mac, Linux, PS3, PS4, 360, Xbone, Wii U, 3DS, Vita, Ios, Android, Ouya, Gamestick, Project Shield, Razor Tablet, Steambox, and now Amazon. Does anyone else think the market is getting a bit crowded?

It's 1983 all over again.

I don't think this is good, some hardware manufacturers could exit the market because is no longer profitable.

No, most of those are barely part of the market or going to be obsolete soon

How many people know what a Ouya, Gamestick, Shield, Razor or Steambox are?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What would stop amazon cutting out the steam store though? So it could be a steam box but you buy keys through an amazon storefront, valve wouldn't get a cut and that wouldn't be good.

SMT

Well it was Valves plan not to have one 'Steambox', but to have a sort of 'OS/service' that other companies can utilize, kind of like what Android is doing in the mobile space.

But who is this market for? Enter the Amazon, and well...

Steam should help bring Linux Gaming to light first, then we can go for loyalty-free gaming, and all those who don't have a Microsoft OS can become Steam client$. That could be their steam box train.

We asked ourselves the same question for the WiiU, who is that market for? Hardcore Nintendo fans sure, they bought the system as it was the next step in their history.

In terms of another physical box for Steam, what advantages does it carry? I'm sure it will have another OS, as Gabe is adamant to bring Steam to new platforms. But why would I game here over my rig?

Affordable gaming could come down to Amazon vs Steambox, but Steam isn't as recognized by the masses, and it could not have all the media apps the Amazon system is bound to have.

They're both digital distribution giants, but will Steam foray into the world of entertainment beyond gaming? This could be the deal-breaker, that, and the household name.

Does the Amazon box have hats? I bet Steambox has hats. People like hats.

I can't see Amazon entering the market with an offering to rival the big 3 but i doubt they would enter the market with a low-powered OUYA type device either. It's got to be an On-Live streaming style service using their EC2 farms and the infamous infinite power of clouds. Well that would be my guess.

If you really want to be blunt about it, it could really come down to ''what does this console have over the other console?'', in which case the Steambox would be looking at taking in extra ventures to deal with the abundance of media that is reaching online stores today. Steam would have to expand its business to survive, much like PS3, 360, Wii when they integrated netflix, and other apps.

Everyone wants a piece of the cake, it all comes down to who slices it better. (The bigger, the better)

Of all companies that ever have been rumoured to come with a game console, Amazon is the first one I'd remotely believe in happening.

These guys always do crazy stuff, and they have the infrastructure to deliver (and they make surprisingly good hardware).

LAA

Don't...want...this...
Ha ha, I did say a while back I'd think only apple (probably with its fan boys alone) and valve (which seems to be happening), could survive this area.
I never considered amazon, it could be so easy for them too, I mean if they increase the price of a lot of products by even just a penny, they can afford to sell their console cheaper.

As much as it sounds kinda cool, PS4 will be getting the exclusives I want and features I want, while this, I really don't think Amazon could have created something that can compete with PS4/ X1 so quickly...

I want to wish them luck, but at the same time, not sure they're really needed in this space, and they should have announced their console long ago if they wanted to compete, seeing PS4/X1 are on their way to launching now.

Hi, Amazon. I saw you bought: the Executive Producer of Gears of War 3. You might also like: Cliffy B. Other customers like you bought: PopCap Games.

This is going to end horrifically, it'd be much smarter for them to start an Amazon Studios in the vein of their pilots program where they existed making games as a third party.

TriGen

Of all companies that ever have been rumoured to come with a game console, Amazon is the first one I'd remotely believe in happening.

These guys always do crazy stuff, and they have the infrastructure to deliver (and they make surprisingly good hardware).

Agreed. Obviously I wouldn't be surprised if this is a whole lot of nothing, but out of all the rumored companies, including Google and Apple, Amazon is the one I could actually see taking a legit swing at the industry. Just a hunch, though.

If it's supposed to be out this year why all the secrecy? They should have said something at E3 before millions of people went on Amazon to order consoles :p

If this really does come through in the end, I wonder what type of "core" gamer they're gonna go after here. If they're just gonna churn out more shooters/sports games/FPS/etc., then no, there's no room for it.

TriGen

If it's supposed to be out this year why all the secrecy? They should have said something at E3 before millions of people went on Amazon to order consoles :p

If it's really coming this year, they must believe in the quick hype Apple-style. Also, it might be a smaller cheap console so they weren't worried about people committing funds. It depends how core-focused this really is.

Anyone remember sessler talking about fanboys and the console war a few weeks back and saying something along the lines of...I wouldnt pick a side yet as he didnt want to sound smug but knew something was gonna happen...I thought at the time he meant steambox but maybe he meant amazons thing and knows it's power comparable to ps4/xbone?

Ovek

7Member7
Not even talking about "sales tax" or whatever the situation is in Ameri-land. They're cheating the UK out of billions in tax revenue. Scum.

To be fair on Amazon they are only doing what the UK tax law says they can, so in reality they are not cheating anyone. If you want companies to start paying tax then you need to pressure the government who can change the rules.

Anyway this isn't off-topic discussion.... So we all know a Amazon console will be a Android Snapdragon soc with the Amazon App Store pre installed right? I don't think the likes of Sony and Microsoft have anything to worry about just yet.

nickcv

it makes complete sense, I called it several times in several threads.

they are one of the biggest retails in the world and they provide already the infrastructure for so many online services that is ridiculous.

also they are a really consumer centric company and it's about time that someone teaches the big 3 how you should treat your costumers.

BPoole

Anyone remember sessler talking about fanboys and the console war a few weeks back and saying something along the lines of...I wouldnt pick a side yet as he didnt want to sound smug but knew something was gonna happen...I thought at the time he meant steambox but maybe he meant amazons thing and knows it's power comparable to ps4/xbone?
Maybe Valve and Amazon are teaming up :eek:

If it's really coming this year, they must believe in the quick hype Apple-style. Also, it might be a smaller cheap console so they weren't worried about people committing funds. It depends how core-focused this really is.

I guess they do have the infrastructure to sell it online only

yay for Seattle! we've got Steam (Valve) up here, Microsoft, Nintendo of America, and now this.... damn I kinda wanna work as a developer now....

chadskin

That's a really interesting development here, Amazon one of the most successful companies in the world.

Widely known by billions of people? Yup. Successful? Not really.

They made a loss of $7m in Q2 2013 on $15b revenue. And that's not an exception, they virtually make no money off of their huge revenues. If it was Apple, Google, Microsoft, or any other company really, Amazon would be called a gargantuan failure by analysts.

Finalizer

Hi, Amazon. I saw you bought: the Executive Producer of Gears of War 3. You might also like: Cliffy B. Other customers like you bought: PopCap Games.

Hah.

Interested to see where this goes. I'd be rather entertained if they really have a serious core angle that they've kept totally under wraps this entire time, but at the moment I'm feeling like I'll believe it when I see it.

Next few years are gonna sure be entertaining to see what becomes of the market though. A war's erupting for living room dominance; I'm gonna need a couple bags of popcorn for this one methinks.

MrGerbils

Not Ouya. Not Steambox.

But: Chromecast with a controller.

$50 price point. Sold at a loss / maybe even loaned "free" to prime members (so long as you stay a member you can hold on to it).

Get it in people's houses and make the money back on software, music, and movies/tv,

Top Bottom