• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Atlus to Localize Yakuza 5 in the West

Out of curiosity, would you guys be happy with this kind of "localization"? Just a script of the plot so you can read while you play.

I would be okay with a script-only, but I want all side-quest and NPCs translated as well in that case.

Granted, it would be a logistical reading nightmare for games where you can talk to every NPC.

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
I would buy it even if it was Digital Release only and you could only download it with a 22baud "Dragon of Dojima" Modem. Hold me, I need this to be real.

Digital only EU release then? :( starting to think SEGA buying Atlus is going to be very bad for Europeans who like tangible holdable game releases.

20 GB dowload is better than nothing, I guess. I played every single title of this saga (including the two Kurohyou's on PSP) in Japanese, and this one more than a year ago, I honestly think dubbing it would be a waste of time and money. Going for subtitles + English localization is enough, IMO.
Just one thing about the "import from the US if this doesn't come out in EU": do you know how much customs charge for this stuff? A lot.

Mets39

If they're trying to give the series a fresh push in the US then they may feel that making it fully localized would be the best way of going about that.

Well, you're right. If they want to make it successful i guess they have to do it (as long as i can choose japanese dub). Also, no GTA comparison this time, and why not changing the series title ?

Zafir

20 GB dowload is better than nothing, I guess. I played every single title of this saga (including the two Kurohyou's on PSP) in Japanese, and this one more than a year ago, I honestly think dubbing it would be a waste of time and money. Going for subtitles + English localization is enough, IMO.
Just one thing about the "import from the US if this doesn't come out in EU": do you know how much customs charge for this stuff? A lot.
If you get hit. Unless you're planning on using a courier/express delivery, the chances of a small sized package that PS3 game would come in getting stopped at customs is rather low. Hell, some company's mark down anyway, which means you won't get hit at all. I know VG+ mark down.

I'll definitely be importing the physical edition from the US if Europe isn't getting one.

As an eternal pessimist, I really don't see this happening, though I guess that now that Atlus is part of Sega, it's actually more likely than it was before. I just hope that if I'm wrong and it does happen, it's not region-locked like P4Arena was!

bebop242

I bought 3 and 4 at bargain bin prices, will spring for full price day one if they do this. Also release the HD remakes too.

bonercop

dub-only would be really stupid at this point seeing how the last 3 games in the series didn't get a dub and western audiences have now gotten used to the JP voices.

I'm not too worried.

why would it be dubbed ? That would be a waste of money and not productive at all.
I also completely fogot Atlus was part of Sega now, make this rumor more believable :p

this is what I'm wondering. Sega hasn't exactly been huge fans of spending a lot of money to bring the series out of Japan. Each new game is like "we don't know if it would be worth it to localize" and then they eventually do.

esterk

Oh man this is great news. It makes sense, too, given the recent acquisition as the article points out. Go Atlus go!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I kinda wonder if Atlus could make this series bigger than SEGA. Atlus has its dedicated fanbase that follow every major release, so that is possible.

Derrick01

Banned
God damn I hope it's true. My PS3 is never going to be unhooked at this rate, screw PS4 and the ~5 games releasing this year.

Coxy

holy shit, I went looking up some old EGM rumours on gaf to see just how bad their rumours are, practically everything they ever put in their rumour section has been bullshit.

and they dont even fully commit to this one? Yeah, not getting my hopes up here, back to making voodoo dolls of Adam Boyes and Gio Corsi

Krafter

Please, Atlus. I will buy 2 copies of every Yakuza game that comes to North America. As if I didn't love you enough
already. If Sega buying Atlus leads to more localizations rather than less, things look a lot more rosy to me.

Neoxon

I can't take much more of this
This nightmare has to end, in this god-forsaken place. Death would be welcome for me.
You seriously did set yourself up for a reference from the Bonnie and Clyde musical

Still, I hope this rumor is legit.

olimpia84

Please let this be true. And while you're at it please localize the 1&2 HD collections so we complete our collections on the PS3 ;)

I bought 3 and 4 at bargain bin prices, will spring for full price day one if they do this. Also release the HD remakes too.

I did the same, including for Yakuza Dead Souls. This time I'll throw them my money on day one.

RPGCrazied

Really wish the 1&2 HD collection would get localized so I can get into the franchise or at least put them up as PS2 classics or something.

My heart legitimately stopped when I read that thread title. Please be true. There are few announcements I want more than a confirmation of Yakuza 5 being released in English.

Jucksalbe

Banned
holy shit, I went looking up some old EGM rumours on gaf to see just how bad their rumours are, practically everything they ever put in their rumour section has been bullshit.

Hmm...so they basically just write down what they thought would be great?

Shengar

I kinda wonder if Atlus could make this series bigger than SEGA. Atlus has its dedicated fanbase that follow every major release, so that is possible.

They'll be offering special crossover Yakuza 5 costume: Chie's Outfit for Haruka.

stawnkald

When I read this rumor in the mag the other night, it was amazing how I was just like "huh, that would be cool." I think the constant battle with bringing Yakuza series to the west has used and abused me so many times now that I'm rather numb to the localization drama. The "will it or won't it" bullshit with Yakuza 3 really took a toll on me, I guess. I love the series a ton and will be there day 1 for Yakuza 5, but I won't get any hopes up until I get an email from Atlus stating that they are doing it.

Top Bottom