• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Atlus to Localize Yakuza 5 in the West

Animekatt

Why'd you skip 2? Now you'll never be able to use your fists to beat up giant tigers in a golden palace that magically appears from the ground full of samurai.

Man that game really went places compared to the others.

I didn't mean to skip 2. ^.^ It was hard for me to find at the time, and I didn't want to pay exorbitant prices for it. Then when I found out that the 1/2 HD version was being made, I gave up the search and began hoping it would one day come to the US.

Here's a secret though: I also didn't play 1! I found it for really cheap at a GameStop, but couldn't get into it as I was really deep in #3's story.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
So is Yakuza Ishin going to be brought over to the states?

Or is it facing the same uncertainty as Yakuza 5 was/is?

Nibel

So is Yakuza Ishin going to be brought over to the states?

Or is it facing the same uncertainty as Yakuza 5 was/is?

Nagoshi seems motivated to release it worldwide if possible

Fortunately for fans, Nagoshi-san seems keen to reach out to western gamers with this latest chapter in the long-running franchise.

“I’d definitely love to reach the whole world, haha, if we have the manpower and the money to do it,” he said in response to whether Ishin would be localized.

Source (PSU.com)

The Yakuza studio is rather small, but who knows

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Rumor: Atlus to Localize Yakuza 5 in the West

Sega doing the blindingly obvious that they should've done five or so years ago, maybe Atlus would still be floating and wouldn't have had to do that whole "-Index" era nor be ate by Sega. :(

That said: Good news all around. Maybe just maybe if we cause a stink Val Chron 3 can happen under Atlus? ;_;

In a Steelbook special edition PLEASE!

iLZqQllWvgBJx.gif

LOL, come on.

androvsky

Because having 5 people working on your localization is more expensive than shitty blue haired singing animu girl cross-overs.

... it is? Have you played the Miku game? All they did was translate the menus. Even if they did attempt to translate the songs, it'd still be a tiny percentage of the localization costs for a Yakuza game, and Yakuza 5 is supposed to be twice the size (story/text-wise) of the previous ones.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
While someone bringing Y5 would be great... Sega gave it so many chances over the years and fans/gamers took a piss on it.

Not getting my hopes up.

Hey guys, if I jumped straight into 4, would I be able to follow along? I played a few hours of 3 years ago but never got close to finishing it. I'll either go back and play through 3 again or just start up at 4. What would be the recommended course of action?

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, if I jumped straight into 4, would I be able to follow along? I played a few hours of 3 years ago but never got close to finishing it. I'll either go back and play through 3 again or just start up at 4. What would be the recommended course of action?

4 has a video that you can watch that summarizes the first 3 games. I started with 4 and was mostly okay.

Astarte

I personally don't skip games, but 4 has recap videos that do a good enough job of recapping the past games. It's all down to you.

rvy

Banned
If there was any proof that SEGA is run by morons: Dead Souls got a steelbook.

Yeah.

Dead Souls.

Tiu Neo

If this is true, and Atlus continues localizing Sega games... God, I was so wrong about Atlus aquisition being a tragedy. So goood.

Go_Ly_Dow

Roughly 120 (visual estimation) unique replies in this thread x sample size of 20 different forums = 2400 guaranteed day 1 purchases at $60. With a min $20 cut for SEGA and we're looking at $48000 already funded.

And this is just the minimum.

Not to forget factoring in a minimum of 1.5 growth in sales from Yakuza 4 due to Atlus branding/fanbase.

Are you convinced, SEGA?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I would be so so happy.

Want this, the HD collection, and the PS4 title.
It sounds greedy but they're just that good a game series.

You'll get your heart broken soon enough.

Fun fact: Dead Souls' localization killed any single chance of Y5 and any other Yakuza game had of being localized.

But it still was a good looking steelbook. Same as 4.

...and it was an enjoyable game as well.

Tohsaka

You'll get your heart broken soon enough.

Fun fact: Dead Souls' localization killed any single chance of Y5 and any other Yakuza game had of being localized.

Even though I liked Dead Souls, I wish they would've just skipped it and focused all their efforts on 5 instead.

I'd love for this to be true, but I won't get my hopes up until I actually see it for myself. In the meantime, I've beaten Kenzan (you are the best, KHH Subs and ThePatrick, BEST SAMURAI GAME EVER) and I have 5, so I will play it in Japanese. If an English version comes along, great!

Atolm

Roughly 120 (visual estimation) unique replies in this thread x sample size of 20 different forums = 2400 guaranteed day 1 purchases at $60. With a min $20 cut for SEGA and we're looking at $48000 already funded.

And this is just the minimum.

Not to forget factoring in a minimum of 1.5 growth in sales from Yakuza 4 due to Atlus branding/fanbase.

Are you convinced, SEGA?

Yeah, sure. Then you go to the OTs and it's the same people over and over. Let's not kid ourselves, people will be happy if the game comes over but it's not like everyone in thread will buy it full price. I myself know I wouldn't, I'd wait for the game to reach 20$ like I've done with every entry in the series, I like the franchise but not 60$ "like" if you know what I mean. It's great if Sega, Atlus or anyone brings it overseas, but if not that's their loss, I won't implore them to do their only job.

Yeah, sure. Then you go to the OTs and it's the same people over and over. Let's not kid ourselves, people will be happy if the game comes over but it's not like everyone in thread will buy it full price. I myself know I wouldn't, I'd wait for the game to reach 20$ like I've done with every entry in the series, I like the franchise but not 60$ "like" if you know what I mean. It's great if Sega, Atlus or anyone brings it overseas, but if not that's their loss, I won't implore them to do their only job.

No dub, PSN only release at 40 or 30$ is free money. Found raise the translation from the fan against a PSN code for the game then. Or something. We gave them idea. They just don't care. May Atlus make the hear the right voice and guide them in the right path

Go_Ly_Dow

The truth, it hurts D:

Elios83

Amazing news if true, but at this point my most wanted Yakuza game is Ishin on PS4, I've always loved the feudal japan setting.

daegan

I was under the impression that it wasn't the localization, but the actual insertion of it back into the game (which typically requires resources from the original developer) that was the problem...?

Either way this will be great if real, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

It's the equivalent of making an entire Assassin's Creed game around it's poor stealth mechanics.

You're free to find it enjoyable.

Wasn't there a survey not long ago by Ubisoft asking people who finished AC4 if they'd like a pirate spinoff totally unrelated to the AC franchise. I assume they'd use some of AC stealth mechanics in that spinoff. Still, who knows.
Anyway, I agree that Sega should've spent their money localizing 5 instead of DS, but I still appreciate the effort invested in bringing DS to the west. Kenzan was really awesome, but playing it in jp while using a translation on the side was a real drag, and the reason why I haven't imported 5.

Top Bottom