• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: BG&E2: Odyssey is a Switch timed exclusive (12 months, then PS4/XB1/PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Maybe because they can? Beyond Good & Evil is one of my favorite games and I played it on PS2, own it on PS3 and PC. It originally released for PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, and PC. People complained about Tomb Raider being exclusive for nearly a year since that was historically a PlayStation and PC franchise. After years of Ancel and Ubi teasing it's release to find out it will only be on Switch for the first year will make fans mad if they don't plan on buying a handheld-console hybrid because they don't play Nintendo games and already own more powerful systems.

I dont know, it started development on Saturn, and then Sony moneyhatted the sequels away. Dont really see what was so different from what MS did.

AniHawk

Counter:
- More titles leads to more market saturation. Out of those five released titles, people will likely still only choose and buy one (unless they're all much cheaper and shorter).
- How to compete with other companies that don't take this approach and go all-out on AAA graphics and marketing?

i don't think that's true. the market on dedicated hardware has been especially desaturated at the retail level. output has decreased dramatically generation over generation thanks to the desire to make one really big thing that can be annualized instead of expanding the audience base.

for the second point, i the marketing budget that would normally go towards a superbowl ad could instead work at getting exposure at gamestop, website/ad takeovers at gamefaqs, etc. they also wouldn't necessarily be competing against the aaa-big budget super-graphics games either, which means they could price the games lower than the competition.

ubisoft's position, bizarrely, was to turn all the major games they were doing into multiplayer open world games: assassin's creed, the crew, the division, watch_dogs, etc. instead, i think that effort would have been better spent trying to make something a lot more simply communicated. if their goal was to get people to play multiplayer games, to stick around and earn ubisoft more money through microtransactions, then ubisoft should have been making stuff like rocket league, which is hard to interpret as anything else than a multiplayer game from the get go.

Ubisoft will be asked to confirm if it's a full exclusive or timed exclusive after the reveal.

And perhaps they lie? I don't think we will know if this game is exclusive or timed exclusive for several months or even years. Lego City ports have been confirmed 3 years after launch, ZombiU ports took even longer.

Ramenman

Expecting a second sequel when we had to wait a decade for a first sequel strikes me as rather silly. We can be happy that BG&E2 appears to be finally a thing that exists - and let's be honest, Ubisoft would have had every reason in the world to just cancel the project once and for all eons ago. It's a sequel to a game that bombed so hard it was given away in cereal boxes, after all. It's baffling Ubisoft kinda kept working on the project to begin with.

How much of a budget this will have really depends on how much Nintendo is willing to pay as well, so I wouldn't really come to any conclusions just yet. No one should expect a proper AAA game for the aforementioned reasons, though.

I think the answer to that (and we'll likely find out soon enough), is that this isn't a sequel at all. I've been very wary of Ubisoft's wording when they announced "a new Beyond Good and Evil game". We've all been calling it "BG&E2" like it's gonna be that, but my guess is if the project exists it's probably because it can justify its existence in today's Ubisoft portfolio, and so will probably be very different from whatever we would really call a sequel to BG&E.

My guess is, we'll be lucky if any of the main characters return or if the storyline is connected at all.

I'd say what it will have in common is basically a similar brand of sci-fi with spaceships and stuff and aliens with an animal-human hybrid look, and that's it.

Might be a very good game with a cool setting, but I really don't think we're getting "Beyond Good & Evil 2".

I may be totally off though.

Edit : what I mean to say is, if it's not "a proper AAA game", then I don't know what it is. Ubisoft nowadays either makes either "proper AAA games" or small budget art-y things, and from what we know of the project it's not the latter. So rather than "if it's a sequel to BG&E it's probably not really a AAA game", my personal guess would be "it has to be a AAA game to exist, thus it's probably not a sequel to BG&E".

Morfeo

One thing I dont get, Beyond Good and Evil plays pretty much like a poor mans Zelda imo, wouldnt everybody interested in this also be interested in Breath of the Wild - and as such be interested in a Switch considering the similarity in play, and the high probability that Breath of the Wild is both much better and a much meatier experience.

One thing I dont get, Beyond Good and Evil plays pretty much like a poor mans Zelda imo, wouldnt everybody interested in this also be interested in Breath of the Wild - and as such be interested in a Switch considering the similarity in play, and the high probability that Breath of the Wild is both much better and a much meatier experience.

I'm sure the audiences converge, but I never really found Beyond Good and Evil to play much like a Zelda game. It also has a very different style and atmosphere.

Why is it ridiculous that Nintendo's funding is what's getting this game made similar to Bayonetta 2? It's not like Rise of the Tomb Raider where they were clearly going to make another game and Microsoft just bought exclusivity. It seemed unlikely Beyond Good and Evil 2 was ever going to come out.

That's not what happened.

Ancel wanted to leave Ubisoft and Guillemot proposed him to make BG&E2 to make him stay.

Morfeo

I'm sure the audiences converge, but I never really found Beyond Good and Evil to play much like a Zelda game. It also has a very different style and atmosphere.

Really? I thought the gameplay was pretty similar. But yeah, I agree the style and atmosphere is completely different.

I remember some reviews saying 'this is zelda but for ADULTS'.

LOL, the gaming media was just as classy back then I guess.

?oe?oe

Yes. We should have one game per genre per console.

It's got a different vibe, plus who knows what Ancel's vision is for the game. BotW looks to be a pretty radical departure so maybe BGE2 will end up being closer to a traditional game than BotW.

Morfeo

Yes. We should have one game per genre per console.

? No idea what your point is here.

It's got a different vibe, plus who knows what Ancel's vision is for the game. BotW looks to be a pretty radical departure so maybe BGE2 will end up being closer to a traditional game than BotW.

True enough. My point still stands though, that if you are interested in the gameplay of Beyond Good and Evil, I find it strange that you wouldnt at all be interested in other Switch-games like Zelda.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
True enough. My point still stands though, that if you are interested in the gameplay of Beyond Good and Evil, I find it strange that you wouldnt at all be interested in other Switch-games like Zelda.
Sometimes people require more than one game to be willing to buy a console for. Also I think that BotW seriously runs at a risk of being filled with mechanically pointless filler and to offer less interesting puzlles than all predecessors since after Wind Waker. So having another Action-Adventure choice can certainly not hurt.

Morfeo

Sorry, I misread your post.

No problem :)

Sometimes people require more than one game to be willing to buy a console for. Also I think that BotW seriously runs at a risk of being filled with mechanically pointless filler and to offer less interesting puzlles than all predecessors since after Wind Waker. So having another Action-Adventure choice can certainly not hurt.

Yeah I agree for sure. Just find it strange that people interested in BG&E wouldnt also be interested in Zelda. Lots of people in this very thread responded with "then no buy for me as i have no interest in Nintendo-games" which i find bizarre if you are interested in BG&E.

ngower

Still no BG&E2. I got my hopes up (again). One day I'll learn.

tumblr_nsh63dgtiV1uce6g7o1_500.jpg

So, did anything come from this rumour?! Considering Nintendo were happy to announce No More Heroes 3 before it has even been written, I'm surprised if this was true it wasn't something they were happy to show at the reveal event. Maybe at E3, I guess?!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So, did anything come from this rumour?! Considering Nintendo were happy to announce No More Heroes 3 before it has even been written, I'm surprised if this was true it wasn't something they were happy to show at the reveal event. Maybe at E3, I guess?!

The Oddyssey subtitle make me question this rumor A LOT
(way more of it not being announced in a Japanese event: E3 would be better)

Oersted

GI.biz: Although you've announced three Switch games, with Wii and Wii U you developed completely original properties especially for those machines. Why not this time?

Xavier Poix: First of all, I think these are games that are a good fit the platform, even though we haven't made an announcement of a brand new title. When you think about Just Dance for instance, that game was brought to the Wii first and uses the whole motion gaming aspect. But Just Dance is about playing with anyone and anytime, it is about accessibility, and what is interesting is that Switch brings that anywhere aspect to the table. So the ability that the gamse had on Wii and Wii U in terms of bringing people together into a room, well now that room can be anywhere. The room you want to play Just Dance in can be a kitchen or a garden, it can be anywhere.

The Switch has been made for Just Dance. Just Dance has sold more than 65m units, it has had more than 100m players that have used it. In the Switch box today, you have two Joy-Con controllers, so right from the first day you can play two player Just Dance - with each person holding a Joy-Con. Of course you can play in front of the TV, and also play on the smaller screen, which means you can now have a Just Dance party almost anywhere. It's the perfect match for that game.

So we are bringing titles that we think fit with what Switch is all about. Of course, in the future we have other things that we will be very happy to share with you at a later date.

Game.biz

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wait for E3. Nintendo wasn't going to announce every game in the pipeline at that one reveal.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Here we go, E3 is back to being important...until E3 when there will be lack of Switch software, then E3 will go back to not being important.

You're directing this comment at me, a person who thought Nintendo was making a huge mistake by not doing anything but Zelda at E3 last year.

And, yes, my comment still stands. Nintendo is going to have lots of new stuff to show at E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom