• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: BG&E2: Odyssey is a Switch timed exclusive (12 months, then PS4/XB1/PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggy

Are you sure?

Source

Pretty sure. When the Wii U version released, they mentioned it missing (the after Rayman Origin's sales supposedly already relatively low) sales targets.

In the earnings releases, the game also wasn't mentioned anywhere apart from FY2014, when ports for X1 and PS4 had released. And it was just a side note, which wasn't full of excitement either:
A firm back catalog showing, stable at €113.7 million, thanks to the performance of Assassin’s Creed® Black Flag, South ParkTM: The Stick of TruthTM, Far Cry® 3 and Rayman® Legends.

Maybe the ports sold better than expected in the end.

SalvaPot

Here's one thing. Anyone who was pissed about Rayman Legends but thinks this is fine is a hypocrite.

I don't think they are the same situation, the reason I was mad is because Ubisoft promised time and time again it was going to be an exclusive AND a launch release, but then it got delayed just so it could go multiplatform.

I am not against it been multiplatform, that it fine, its that it was pushed back when it was ready for the Wii U.

If Ubisoft comes out now and says BG&E2 is for all 3 consoles, I'll be fine with that. If they say its an exclusive and then its delayed, after its pretty much done, just to release on all the other consoles too, then I'll be mad.

Yeah, you are. Take a chill pill.

Do you get this worked up every rumour and leak you see?

No. I actually enjoy leaks for the most part. I've just recently witness the other side of things when someone decides to be mouthy. There's no point in me voicing my frustration because at the end of the day I'm probably the one being unreasonable.

On topic

Will be there day one for this. I hope the first one is released on the VC.

Megatron

rayman legends got delayed like 2 weeks before it was supposed to release

these situations are not remotely comparable outside of Ubi being at the helm

Actually it was 6 months. The WiiU version was all done, they delayed it 6 months so they could release it on the PS3 and 360 at the same time because the WiiU was already failing.

phanphare

Banned
Actually it was 6 months. The WiiU version was all done, they delayed it 6 months so they could release it on the PS3 and 360 at the same time because the WiiU was already failing.

I meant that they announced the delay like 2 weeks before it was supposed to release for Wii U initially

I don't think they are the same situation, the reason I was mad is because Ubisoft promised time and time again it was going to be an exclusive AND a launch release, but then it got delayed just so it could go multiplatform.

I am not against it been multiplatform, that it fine, its that it was pushed back when it was ready for the Wii U.

If Ubisoft comes out now and says BG&E2 is for all 3 consoles, I'll be fine with that. If they say its an exclusive and then its delayed, after its pretty much done, just to release on all the other consoles too, then I'll be mad.

They did add a whole bunch of new levels after it was delayed though.

Basically if you are urging patience now, then patience in the past is also logical. If you are still getting the game then who cares if it's delayed?

Do you think Zelda for Wii U has been delayed because of the Switch? I do, but we will probably never truly know. I'm not about to flip out and boycott the game because of it.

Stiler

The loyal fanbase who for the most part assumed the game would never be made, but will now actually get to play it on their platform of choice?

Loyal Fanbase, as in those people who always brought the game up, and always hoped for a new one to get made.

Making them have to not only buy the game that they helped get made (even if it had a small fanbase you can't deny that many of them kept the game active and brought it up constantly over the years which gave it attention enough for ubi to greenlight a sequel) but also saying "yeah, you want to play the new game? Well buy a whole console to do so now....or wait a year for it!"

Nintendo had to pay them a lot of money if this is true, cause they are going to be losing a ton of money on 3 major platforms by doing this.

I'll wait for the better versions then. More power to people who will only have a Switch but I'm mainly buying it for the Nintendo games.

I agree timed exclusives are fucking terrible. It's another thing if a first party pays for development to get a game made.

joshcam19

Always a good idea to alienate a group of people who have been begging for a sequel by putting it on a single (yet to be released) console when the original game could be bought on every platform at the time of release. Much like Tomb Raider, I'll wait until it gets ported to other consoles. I wouldn't be buying Switch for BG&E2 anyway.

antonz

So many salty people. If anything would think they would be happy. It was prior reported as a permanent exclusive. So the latest news would be an improvement for the console warriors though I get it. It benefits Nintendo so it is like a war crime

So many salty people. If anything would think they would be happy. It was prior reported as a permanent exclusive. So the latest news would be an improvement for the console warriors though I get it. It benefits Nintendo so it is like a war crime

Don't pull the "poor Nintendo" card here. People flip out about timed exclusives regardless of the platform.

antonz

Don't pull the "poor Nintendo" card here. People flip out about timed exclusives regardless of the platform.

And when its Nintendo they take it to the next level.

"Nintendo never gets 3rd party support fuck them!"
"Nintendo today paid for Bayonetta to continue existing"
"Fuck Nintendo stealing our games!"

I've grown numb to the "stealing" whiners but what's more annoying to me are people that laughs at this helping sell systems.
I don't know about you but I care only if it's good because good games regardless of popularity make a system's library better.

While there are some hardline crazy Nintendo critics, I don't think it's any different to the Sony/Microsoft/PC antics that take place.

Bayo 2 did bring out a lot of truly shameful reactions though.

I'll wait for the better versions then. More power to people who will only have a Switch but I'm mainly buying it for the Nintendo games.

I agree timed exclusives are fucking terrible. It's another thing if a first party pays for development to get a game made.
Just like the (somehow) buggier late port of ZombiU that lacked all of the multiplayer content.

"Better!"

Mr. Patch

Loyal Fanbase, as in those people who always brought the game up, and always hoped for a new one to get made.

Making them have to not only buy the game that they helped get made (even if it had a small fanbase you can't deny that many of them kept the game active and brought it up constantly over the years which gave it attention enough for ubi to greenlight a sequel) but also saying "yeah, you want to play the new game? Well buy a whole console to do so now....or wait a year for it!"

Nintendo had to pay them a lot of money if this is true, cause they are going to be losing a ton of money on 3 major platforms by doing this.

How do we know these people aren't interested in buying the Switch in the first place?

Digital only? dafuq...

In a way, it makes sense.

Nintendo pays for exclusivity and doesn't want to look stupid with a box that says exclusive and a PS4 version on the next shelf. Also, they might feel it takes away the pressure of dropping the price when it comes out on other platforms.

It's okay. I can wait for it to appear on PS+ a la Zombi.

gogojira

Maybe just be happy the game exists at all and hope it sells well when it releases on whatever systems it releases on. If it doesn't, it'll be dead for good. Honestly, surprised it managed to stay alive at all.

Digital only makes me wonder if it's going to be fairly low budget, maybe keeping a similar (but obviously cleaner) aesthetic as the first game. Obviously assuming any of this is true, of course.

I'd be happy with that, I just need a sequel.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

I don't think that really the case. It just strikes me as strange. I would have preferred it be a permanent exclusive honestly.

I just can't understand the mentality of timed exclusives when the whole point is to sell your system through its library. Timed exclusives don't really do that cause then people already know its not the only place one can buy the games.

I hope that Nintendo is not paying a cent into this deal that they would not otherwise pay beyond retail space, cause otherwise they got taken for a ride

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
a bunch of CEOs and CFOs in here. "Bad business decision on Nintendo's part". You are talking about the company that made mega dollars on pokemon go and super mario run? I waste some money on random things, why can't Nintendo? Geez, Sony and Microsoft try to outbid each other for Call of Duty map pack exclusively and you are telling me Nintendo spending money on a game like this is wasteful. LOL.

Lets see some receipts of all these die hard BG&E fans that paid $60 for this on launch day in 2003. I bet they are few and far between.

Stiler

How do we know these people aren't interested in buying the Switch in the first place?

We don't, but If you don't think putting a game on one system, especially a new one that everyone will have to buy in order to play it on, is going to hurt the potential sales/customer base then I don't know what to say.

Why limit your potential customer base to such a tiny fraction when you could release it on all at once and have not one, not two, not three, but four channels of revenue coming in in the first few weeks (which are most important in a games lifecycle).

Inuhanyou

a bunch of CEOs and CFOs in here. "Bad business decision on Nintendo's part". You are talking about the company that made mega dollars on pokemon go and super mario run? I waste some money on random things, why can't Nintendo? Geez, Sony and Microsoft try to outbid each other for Call of Duty map pack exclusively and you are telling me Nintendo spending money on a game like this is wasteful. LOL.

Err, but wasn't the one making bank on Pokemon Go Niantic and Pokemon company?

Also...you bring up COD map packs, but you fail to realize that timed DLC is also a dumb as rocks practice that gets roundly criticized when MS and Sony do it :/

To be honest if most companies started following some of the posters advice on Neogaf they would go bankrupt.

SalvaPot

They did add a whole bunch of new levels after it was delayed though.

Basically if you are urging patience now, then patience in the past is also logical. If you are still getting the game then who cares if it's delayed?

Do you think Zelda for Wii U has been delayed because of the Switch? I do, but we will probably never truly know. I'm not about to flip out and boycott the game because of it.

As I said, I don't really mind a game been exclusive or delayed or anything at all.

Its the whole lying angle that really made me mad. Its ok if they decide to delay it to make it better, but interviews and leaks clearly mention the game was ready to launch Day 1 and it was delayed just to make it multiplatform. Hell, I'll be kind of ok if they went back on the exclusivity but still released it on Wii U and then released the other versions as soon as they were ready.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Err, but wasn't the one making bank on Pokemon Go Niantic and Pokemon company?

Also...you bring up COD map packs, but you fail to realize that timed DLC is also a dumb as rocks practice that gets roundly criticized when MS and Sony do it :/

Nintendo made $115 million on Pokemon Go. How much you think they would spend on a one year exclusively for BG&E2?

Speely

Banned
We don't, but If you don't think putting a game on one system, especially a new one that everyone will have to buy in order to play it on, is going to hurt the potential sales/customer base then I don't know what to say.

Why limit your potential customer base to such a tiny fraction when you could release it on all at once and have not one, not two, not three, but four channels of revenue coming in in the first few weeks (which are most important in a games lifecycle).

Because your IP had limited appeal for the mass market in the first place, as evidenced by sales of BG&E, so why not go in on a market that will have less competition if it gives you a bit more spotlight in that market than you probably would have had in three others, which are saturated with proven 3rd-party franchises already?

This move is a smart gamble imo. It IS a gamble, but it's a smart one.

Inuhanyou

Nintendo made $115 million on Pokemon Go. How much you think they would spend on a one year exclusively for BG&E2?

No idea, but i hope it wasn't much.

Although i give Nintendo credit to giving marketing and shelf space to games like this as opposed to spending 400 million dollars or whatever to acquire NFL marketing rights like MS

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Rayman. Bayonetta. BG&E. Three games that less than 1% of the gaming community have purchased.

remz

Rayman. Bayonetta. BG&E. Three games that less than 1% of the gaming community have purchased.

So fucking what. Would it be better if they got Madden? I'm glad someone is funding this into existence, because it's nice to play things that just aren't this year's rehash of Popular Yearly Gaming Franchise.

Consider that maybe Nintendo is helping with promotion and marketing. Something Ubi might not be willing to do for such a title. The fact it's only digital on the other platforms says a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom