• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Chinese Company Tencent Planning to hire Kojima to develop new IP

YomommaZ

DSF

Développeurs Sans Frontières

Independent studio that works as contractor with major publishers.

EDIT - You heard it here first ;)

Tencent strike deal with Kojima.

Tencent buy Fox Engine from Konami.

Kojima creates his own studio/team

Kojima continues to create great video games utilizing the power of Fox Engine

YomommaZ

Tencent strike deal with Kojima.

Tencent buy Fox Engine from Konami.

Kojima creates his own studio/team

Kojima continues to create great video games utilizing the power of Fox Engine

We're going even deeper...

Tencent buys Konami and makes Kojima the Big Boss of Konami.

Kojima locks CEO in the basement until all the broken Pachinko machines are fixed.

Think he's more likely to go with Microsoft or Sony. Tencent's game portfolio consists solely of multiplayer online games, Kojima focus (SP heavy games) is completely opposite of that.

The only two ways this could come true are:

- kojima wants ro create a multiplayer game and tencent is the one who will finance it
- tencent is looking to strenghten its image in western territories and will finance an AAA game. The money spent on the game will count as marketing money, not development one.

I think we need to point out that the news of Kojima's eventual departure is well known and that TenCent is one of the first recruiters to feel him in. Probably because they are located in Asia. No doubt many other companies will follow suit once he "officially" leaves. Deck13 is already taken the initiative, and it's also known that Big n' Tasty are willing to remake MGS1, so the opportunities are broad.

-Amon-

LOicMJA.gif

Gundy2010

tencent can buy Konami and hire Kojima at the same time without a sweat. If that's the only way for another Kojima MGS to haopen, I'm OK with that.

They let Riot does what it wants oversea without Chinese censorship. I don't see why the same thing cannot happen with Kojima studio. They don't have to let him make FTP games for indigenous market, they already got it covered. Riot's global sucess proved it.

BadWolf

Tencent may be huge and rich but most people outside China still have no idea who they are.

Hiring Kojima would really put them on the map, which imo is the main reason they are pursuing him.

Justified

Think he's more likely to go with Microsoft or Sony. Tencent's game portfolio consists solely of multiplayer online games, Kojima focus (SP heavy games) is completely opposite of that.

Mostly because he was "forced" to be.

Kojima has stated many times that he wants to experiment, and do other things

4Tran

Tencent may be huge and rich but most people outside China still have no idea who they are.

Hiring Kojima would really put them on the map, which imo is the main reason they are pursuing him.
If Tencent wanted to be put on the map, they already have the most popular game in the world and they control the most popular game engine in the world. In both cases, they decided to keep their name apart from these acquisitions. It's pretty obvious that Tencent is only interested in advertising their name in markets where they provide their internet services as well.

RPGamer92

Banned
Maybe they'd want him so he could teach them how to make single-player games.

MUnited83

For you.
because it will be equivalent to ISIS buying out Christopher Nolan to make an ISIS propaganda movie..

please don't advocate such dark & evil notion...
I already thought your posts on the Persona 5 PC were as dumb as they could be, but this shit takes the cake.

pastrami

Maybe they'd want him so he could teach them how to make single-player games.

Why? CrossFire and League of Legends make the company close to or more than $1 billion per year. I find it hard to believe that they would want to get into single player retail games. Multi-year projects for a pay off of maybe $500 million, assuming you make a hit game that sells 10 million? Naw, Tencent will continue to make bank on their online services and games.

Really depends on who's willing to drop a $50 million+ investment on what might not be a sure thing, really.

I expect Kojima to take a break from development for a while.

fuzaco

Didn't Kojima want to make some kind of MMO? I remember reading it in an interview or something. So this would make sense.

Tencent would likely be able to give Kojima all the money and resources he wants, I'm not too familiar with them but the possibility is there that from that perspective it could be very enticing.

That being said, personally I really like his stories (however convoluted) and the gameplay of his single player games so if he was to go and make multiplayer only or F2P games I probably wouldn't be interested myself and therefore would be a bit disappointed.

He has to make the decision that is right for him though and what he wants to make.

4Tran

if MS pays 2 billion for Minecraft, what would they not pay for Kojima?
A lot less. Kojima is worth very little compared to Minecraft.

Why? CrossFire and League of Legends make the company close to or more than $1 billion per year. I find it hard to believe that they would want to get into single player retail games. Multi-year projects for a pay off of maybe $500 million, assuming you make a hit game that sells 10 million? Naw, Tencent will continue to make bank on their online services and games.
Tencent has made lots of moves that would defy conventional wisdom, so their acquiring new properties that diversify their offerings wouldn't be strange at all. They're in a good position right now to move in a lot of different directions.

mieumieu

They don't really need international recognition (as a profit-driven company) when they have reliable cash cows in the f2p market for years.

They certainly have the budget to satisfy the needs from Kojima-san. I have seen my ex-colleagues in Tencent working on a single MMO project for years and the constant closed-beta tests (Moonlight blade? Monster Hunter Online?...).

Just put out an f2p online component in the game and it is done. That's also what Konami is doing to MGSV it seems...

KingJ2002

Not bad... if Kojima opens up a new studio backed by Tencent... it could be huge.

With this I'd hope for:

- Spiritual Successor to Metal Gear Solid
- Spiritual Successor to Zone of the Enders
- Spiritual Successor to Snatcher
- Spiritual Successor to P.T.

- A move to the Unreal Engine

In this day an age... i'm not a fan of proprietary and custom solutions. If Japan can get behind a middleware solution it would help industry growth, knowledge transfer, and ease the learning curve to allow faster development.

Whatever happens from this deal.. I hope Kojima comes out to make great games again as many legends from his era has either remained somewhat dormant since leaving their previous employers or they have yet to put out games that have the same impact.

BigDes

They'd be a great fit. They're not as big as some other publishers, but they've shown a willingness to invest in big-budget titles by respected names (Evil Within, Dishonored, Wolfenstein) and giving them a good amount of creative freedom, even if they don't rake in COD-level money.

Whether Kojima would be willing to work on a less than unlimited budget, though...

Considering what Zenimax tend to do to their development partners, I think this is a horrible idea.

Zabi

Banned
This has my full support. I've played a couple of their games and had fun.

No one can be this stupid. Surely.
Never underestimate the stupidity of people. You know how one of the if not the fastest way to get banned from a MMO is to be caught selling your account? Well, during my time playing TERA I once saw someone put up a account selling advertisement topic... at the game's official forum. -_-

artsi

Ok, Outer Heaven would be a badass name for a new studio by Kojima. Would Konami allow him to use it though, I wonder?

I'm not an expert but I think it would need to be trademarked by Konami first, otherwise it's just two English words that appear in a game's script, and should be free to use.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Why are people screaming for Sony? Do you really want his games tied to PlayStation only? Besides it's not like Sony can afford to go all out against this Chinese giant when they have other responsibilities, like building and sustaining their current studios and projects for one.

It's not like KOJIMA will sign any agreement which belittles him or puts him on a leash.

Best wishes.

Top Bottom