• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Chinese Company Tencent Planning to hire Kojima to develop new IP

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
A lot of companies would want hire him, hardly surprising.

Doubt he will go to a Chinese company though.

This is pretty much how I take this. It seems way more like it's just a stated interest in hiring Kojima, rather than Kojima being interested in working at Tencent Planning.

Of the big three, I could definitely see Microsoft really fight for him though. I'm not sure if they would try to hire him on as a first-party developer in one of their existing studios, create a new first-party studio for him, or invest in a studio for him with a contract for an IP to be owned by Microsoft (similar to Mistwalker).

I could see Sony going for it too, but I don't think they are going to throw as much money at it, and Kojima does take a very long time to make its games which I think they don't really care for as much as far as investing fully into that process.

I think it's most likely that he'll either create his own studio with people that leave KP to follow him, or he joins a third party.

This is the picture they said it's Kojima coming to Tencent
Do you believe it?

4e1dcde1gw1ev75dgkk53j20ef0qoq42.jpg

The Chinese really will try to bootleg fucking ANYTHING, won't they?

Not my first choice,but if allowed to do high end developments, I'm actually okay with this.

Because a Chinese publisher is just about as culturally aligned with quirky Japanese anime-ish stuff as Japanese publishers do, and Kojima needs to be allowed to go full lew- coughcough I mean free of creative restrictions.

I bet ever publisher worth a damn will be trying to get him to sign a deal.

My guess though is he will start a independent studio instead of jumping into another fully own team. Doesnt mean he cant work for other publishers though.

Jigorath

Banned
And people thought Kojima would need to start a kickstarter. This dude's got a blank check waiting for him at every major publisher in the world.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
This is the picture they said it's Kojima coming to Tencent
Do you believe it?

4e1dcde1gw1ev75dgkk53j20ef0qoq42.jpg

Why is not-Kojima just wearing a shirt and undies and he's tucking his hand inside the butt part of his undies.

Kieli

Kojima is at the level where I don't think he'll need to be hired. He could probably make his own studio and be funded by Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo.

Not my first choice,but if allowed to do high end developments, I'm actually okay with this.

Because a Chinese publisher is just about as culturally aligned with quirky Japanese anime-ish stuff as Japanese publishers do, and Kojima needs to be allowed to go full lew- coughcough I mean free of creative restrictions.

A Chinese publisher is also more likely to give me a mecha action game >_< !

I'm not entirely sure MGS, at the MGS5 (or more) budget level, could still be profitable as a platform exclusive. That means for Sony or Microsoft to go the "give him his own studio and unlimited resources" route, they would probably be taking a bath on it for the sake of prestige, vanity-project style.

To get the budget he (apparently) needs to do the things he wants, he basically must be multi-platform. That means he needs a fat bankroll from someone who doesn't have a vested interest in any given console. Now, if only there were some third party that viewed games as a worthwhile long-term investment that didn't have any particular relationship with any of the platform holders, whether they be Microsoft, Sony, or Valve...

I dont care where he is. I just hope he works on something. But he should keep away from scifi stuff for now. Let him tell some fantasy stories. Or get him for Horizon.

I don't really see a "blank check" offer coming from the big 3 in hardware or the big 3 in 3rd party publishing. A group like Tencent who want to aggressively expand and build brand would seem a likely candidate.

I don't really see the Sony angle. There does not seem to be a need for 1st party titles to drive hardware sales for them and they have not exactly been expanding lately. Nintendo does need software to push their hardware but this seems completely out of their MO. I couldn't even guess what Microsoft's future goals are as a player in the console market.

Of course Kojima may not even be looking for anything right now. I cannot imagine the last couple years have been a pleasant working experience for him and staff.

Lemonte

Of course Kojima may not even be looking for anything right now. I cannot imagine the last couple years have been a pleasant working experience for him and staff.

Kojima might feel responsible for getting his staff fired or demoted into cleaning crew. I would imagine that he would take most or at least some of the old Kojima productions staff with him where ever he goes if it's possible.

Kojima might feel responsible for getting his staff fired or demoted into cleaning crew. I would imagine that he would take most or at least some of the old Kojima productions staff with him where ever he goes if it's possible.

This is probably true and it is a rotten burden to have to bear. Hopefully things can work out for him and his team and they find themselves in an enjoyable situation doing what they want to do.

C'mon, Sony. Give this guy a blank check and he'll make you great things.

You should compare the videogame budget of Sony vs Tencent.

This is great news. This company could really give him anything he wants and there is no reason this would have to be a F2P game or not be on current gen consoles.

Smart acquisition if they do it.

Out of the pachinko machine and into the F2P?

I'd like to think he wouldn't be stupid enough to jump straight back into a giant corporate machine again and would go somewhere that they appreciate auteur developers. Sony would be a good match (really don't want to start something there, just saying that they're well known for promoting visionary talent within their studios, see Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley, Ueda, Kazunori Yamauchi to name a few). Saying that, I'd love to see him go somewhere like From and work on the next Armored Core just so we can get the equivalent of ZoE 3 but with custom mechs.

fedexpeon

Banned
Tencent is the true gaming overlord.
So much money, they can do what the hell they want to do...but it will just be another game that is F2P with P2W elements.

lazyguy

What we don't know is that this is all a ruse to lure Kojima in China and question him about the remaining part of the philosophers legacy.

Zaptruder

Banned
The companies that would really want to hire Kojima and have a serious shot at landing him should be prepared to throw money into a deep pit of despair.

The primary purpose to hiring him would be to create a strong branding halo around your company, as the supporter of auteur driven AAA japanese/western gaming.

Maybe Ten Cent wants to take a strategic step into the single player market as well? It's certainly possible that they desire diversification - multiplayer F2P stuff can be very hit/miss sort of affair.

Outer Haven Productions?

oh. my. god.

Kojima gets disheartened with his bosses at Konami, like Big Boss and Zero, and leaves to form his own group

Konami, like Zero, would still prefer to have someone of Kojima's caliber on hand so they clone Kojima

Years later, when Konami is trying to gain more of a foothold in games, a clone is sent over to sabotage Kojima's company

Kojima is Big Boss.

Toski

I'm not entirely sure MGS, at the MGS5 (or more) budget level, could still be profitable as a platform exclusive. That means for Sony or Microsoft to go the "give him his own studio and unlimited resources" route, they would probably be taking a bath on it for the sake of prestige, vanity-project style.

To get the budget he (apparently) needs to do the things he wants, he basically must be multi-platform. That means he needs a fat bankroll from someone who doesn't have a vested interest in any given console. Now, if only there were some third party that viewed games as a worthwhile long-term investment that didn't have any particular relationship with any of the platform holders, whether they be Microsoft, Sony, or Valve...

If you're implying R* I don't think they can afford both Kojima and the Houser Bros.

If you're implying R* I don't think they can afford both Kojima and the Houser Bros.

I'm actually implying Tencent, though Rockstar wouldn't be a terrible fit if they can manage the budget. I don't think they'd actually want to, though. Rockstar gets away with murder because they make ridiculous gobs of money. Kojima's incredibly successful, but he's not pulling in GTA dollars.

I hope Zenimax gets him with a new studio in tow, great things would happen.

They'd be a great fit. They're not as big as some other publishers, but they've shown a willingness to invest in big-budget titles by respected names (Evil Within, Dishonored, Wolfenstein) and giving them a good amount of creative freedom, even if they don't rake in COD-level money.

Whether Kojima would be willing to work on a less than unlimited budget, though...

Top Bottom