• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Desktop Coffee Lake CPUs to be available Oct 5th

Klik

Seems like current rumors have the i5 8400 with a 3.8GHz all core turbo and 4.0GHz 1 core turbo?
But we'll have to wait and see if those numbers are accurate.

That would be great.I would gladly give 50$+ more and get i5 8500 since it's gonna be 6cores

Fuck, i was planning to switch from my i5 2500k to Ryzen 7 1700, i guess that it would be better to wait, anyone if there would be much difference from the i5 8600K 6c/6t to a Ryzen 1700? i plan to stream while gaming, and edit media...
Just get the Ryzen, lol.

ezodagrom

Worth it to upgrade from a 6950X?
I don't think that would be an upgrade at all. You would get gains in single-threaded performance but lose alot on multi-threaded performance.

Fuck, i was planning to switch from my i5 2500k to Ryzen 7 1700, i guess that it would be better to wait, anyone if there would be much difference from the i5 8600K 6c/6t to a Ryzen 1700? i plan to stream while gaming, and edit media...
In your case, I think Ryzen would be the safest choice unless you went with the i7, but I think it'd be better to wait for reviews unless you're in a hurry, better make a completely informed decision than rushing to buy something before getting all information.

-shadow-

I'm currently putting a PC together (from scratch), should I just put it together now with a 7700k or wait for the new line? I have no idea, but the new leaks seem promising and there's no rush, but still. The prices (going by OP) don't seem that much more than I would pay right now anyway.

ezodagrom

I'm currently putting a PC together (from scratch), should I just put it together now with a 7700k or wait for the new line? I have no idea, but the new leaks seem promising and there's no rush, but still. The prices (going by OP) don't seem that much more than I would pay right now anyway.
If your intent is gaming, definitely wait, the 8700K is likely gonna be a better overall gaming CPU than the 7700K, especially in the long run (unless there's problems with the 8700K).

EDIT: Well, if your intent is not gaming, the 8700K is still gonna be an overall better CPU anyway. <-<;

RCSI

I may finally upgrade my 2500k to either a 8700k or a Ryzen equivalent. Now for an equally impressive GPU upgrade to do single card 4k.

Xiofire

Well, for one the 1700 has 2 extra cores/10 extra threads than the 8600K, they'll just be slower than the 6/6 on the Intel chip.

For your use case, the more cores/threads the better if you're streaming while gaming and editing/transcoding video, so the Ryzen will totally be up to the task.

Huddy

At this point I would not be buying a 4 core processor. Wait for Coffeelake, we should know more about it over the next few weeks or just go Ryzen 16/17/1800.

Massicot

I mean... have you hit a situation yet where the 6700k isn't fast enough? I have a 2600k and only from upgrading my GPU to a 1070 a couple of weeks ago have I FINALLY had my CPU become a bottleneck, and even then only in CPU intensive games that are poorly optimised like Fallout 4. I'm always confused when I see people with still very recent CPUs talking about upgrading. What do you guys use them for?

On the topic of Coffee Lake, I'm really happy to see these rumoured boost clocks looking so damn good. I'm still holding on to my 2600k until someone releases an 8c/16t 4ghz+ CPU, but it's great seeing how close we're getting. That's my future-proof target to carry me through the PS5 gen.

I play an MMO where the game is nearly entirely CPU bound, I can use any slight upgrade I can get, lol.

ezodagrom

I play an MMO where the game is nearly entirely CPU bound, I can use any slight upgrade I can get, lol.
It all depends if that MMO is being CPU bound due to lack of cores or CPU bound due to lack of performance per core.

If it's due to the lack of cores, an 8700K could be worth it, but unfortunately you'll need a new MB.
If it's due to the lack of single-threaded performance, then an 8700K is just gonna be a very small incremental update over the 6700K, if an upgrade at all (taking into consideration the 7700K got pretty much no single-threading improvements other than higher clock).

spootime

When this comes out it will be hard to recommend ryzen 7. Its gonna destroy ryzen in games and the rumors are that it has better multithreaded performance than the ryzen in some tasks. Ryzen 6 vs i5 will be interesting as well.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
is it worth upgrading my 3770k for gaming? Would be a pain in the ass to get a new motherboard and all that but this thing is pretty old at this point.

The latest information I read on the 8700k has it boosting to 4.7 / 4.6 / 4.4 / 4.3 GHz with 1 / 2 / 4 / 6 core loads respectively.

This is unconfirmed for now, but would be some extremely impressive clocks if true.

That would be very impressive. At those clocks, I probably wouldn't even mind if they couldn't OC at all.

I'm on a 6700k which is very fast, but there is a slight temptation for these new parts. :p

-shadow-

If your intent is gaming, definitely wait, the 8700K is likely gonna be a better overall gaming CPU than the 7700K, especially in the long run (unless there's problems with the 8700K).

EDIT: Well, if your intent is not gaming, the 8700K is still gonna be an overall better CPU anyway. <-<;

At this point I would not be buying a 4 core processor. Wait for Coffeelake, we should know more about it over the next few weeks or just go Ryzen 16/17/1800.

I'll wait a bit longer in that case. Will also help give the budget a bit of a bumb. Thanks! ^^

Smokey

Great news. Competition is great for all.

My 4930k (6 core) is still humming along fine. Wondering when I'll need to upgrade as we're JUST now getting 6 core mainstream procs, and mine came out in 2013.

dr_rus

Gonna tell myself to keep waiting for Icelake....

You'll be waiting for some time then. According to what I've heard (and plans change all the time so grain of salt and all) Icelake is a 2019 product. 2018 will be about CFL in the desktop and CNL (10nm 2C/4C) in mobile. Remains to be seen if they'll make any changes to the HEDT lineup but I don't think that they will until 2019 either.

Shadoken

I Literally just bought a 7700k for my new PC build. Should an return it and wait it out?

When are the new mobos releasing?

LQX

I might actually upgrade from my 6700K to this. I really miss my X99 system.

I Literally just bought a 7700k for my new PC build. Should an return it and wait it out?

When are the new mobos releasing?

If you have not bought the motherboard yet and you're OK with spending at-least $100 more I would.

Shadoken

I
If you have not bought the motherboard yet and you're OK with spending at-least $100 more I would.

Literally havent bought anything yet lmao , I just bought the CPU coz i saw a good deal on it at Frys 260$. I can always go back and return it since its sealed.

You should. With the new CPUs on 5th of October.

Would the new motherboards be available it as well. I mean the Z ones for overclocking.

I got a 1080 ti as well , and dont want it to be hanging around for months. I am currently waiting on my Case Phanteks Evolv shift which should be releasing in the next few weeks. If the intel is coming out a few weeks later I might as well hold out.

You and I both, though depending on the price perhaps the 8700k will be bought. I need ddr4 as well so this will be a major upgrade from 3570k and 8gb of Ram.

I'm on 16gb RAM but yeah I will need DDR4 too of course. I'm open to buying AMD though depending on how benchmarks go.

Also I'm wondering is there such a thing as a PCI --> PCI Express adapter? I have a perfectly working Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer which I need for my headset and it's still a PCI model which I guess doesn't exist anymore on modern boards.

Sepultura

I guess its not right for Z170 owners like me to complain when even the Z270 motherboard isn't compatible with Coffee Lake. Oh well.

Gaf, coming from i3-6100, is a used i5-6600k at $190 a good deal? Hoping the i5 will last atleast a couple of years for gaming. Pairing it up with GTX 1060 6GB.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
By far the most interesting thing about these is whether they will use a ring bus or a mesh interconnect.

If the former, I expect the 8700k to be the best gaming CPU in pretty much everything by a decent margin.

Hmmmm....I may finally pull the trigger on building a new rig.

I'm still on an i7 2600K OC'd to 4.5. I've gone through 3 video cards on this current rig (GTX 570, GTX 970, and currently running a hand-me-down Titan X that I got for free (the original Maxwell chipset)).

Corsick

I'm running a 3570k / 970 / 16gigs of ram, so I'm thinking this should be a nice step up. Although my question would be if I should just get an i7 7820x and how it may compare. I want to jump to a 1440p Gsync Ultrawide which means I'll be spending a good amount of money to run it properly at higher framerates. My only holdup is figuring out when Volta will release. I'm hoping Q1 of 2018 as I really want to go all out for a high end setup since upgrading to SSDs.

Mrbob

For gaming performance per core is still king. So the extra two cores in the 7820x aren't going to be doing much for you. My guess is the 8700K is going to be better for gaming than the 7820x because it's clocked higher and will probably overclock higher yet.

The 7700k does better than the 7820x in gaming tests. So the 8700K is setting itself up to be the best cpu for gaming. Yet we need to see price points too and if the extra cost justifies an increase in performance.

If you really want an 8 core CPU the Ryzen 1700 with DDR3200 memory compares favorably with the 7820x in terms of gaming and is like half the price:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiy1kZaQT1s

Get a decent cooler and overclock it to 3.7-4ghz.

Specifically for your ultrawide resolution the 1700 and 7700k don't have a big difference either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBtvCEF35C4

You would also have an upgrade path on AM4 platform for future cpus whereas you have none with Intel.

Urgh why need a new motherboard. How frustrating. How much better than a 7700k would it be?

We need to wait for reviews but the 8700k is looking like a 7700k with two more cores.

DJ_Lae

Will be interesting to see how it performs.

The selfish part of me hopes it's a middling increase, as I just put together a 7700K build when it launched and this seems to be yet another time that I built a PC at a less than ideal point. Ah well.

Mrbob

By the time the 7700K becomes "useless" for gaming you'll be jumping to an 8 or 10 core cpu.

The 8700K is not going to phase out the 7700k as one of the top gaming CPUs. Especially if you have the 7700K overclocked.

The difference will be different from game to game, depending on how each game handles extra cores and threads. I don't think we'll see a set percentage difference.

If games start taking advantage of more threads it might be AMD that benefits the most with their 8 core 16 thread cpus.

I've totally lost track, does this mean that buying a Ryzen 7 setup is going to be a poor choice now or...?

Depends on the use case. If you're doing multitasking stuff and you need the threads, Ryzen 7s will probably remain a solid buy. If it's gaming, Ryzen 5s perform very similarly in games compared to Ryzen 7s, and are substantially cheaper. We shall see how pricing goes for the new Intel CPUs and motherboards, but I suspect that the Ryzen 5 + B350 motherboard combo will remain bang per buck champion for the foreseeable.

coughlanio

Sold my PC a few weeks ago (6800k, 1080) and will get this with another 1080 I think. Definitely a sidegrade but I'm taking the opportunity to go ITX at no cost to myself.

Don't worry everyone. If you can't or don't want to buy one of these Coffee Lake chips, just wait another 6-10 months and Intel will probably have 9th-gen chips with another new board for you.

I have a 6600K @ 4.5GHz paired with a 1080ti. I think I'll just get a 6700K for cheap sometime early next year. No point in replacing my Z170 board when I just want the extra threads for a few more frames in certain games.

I'm most interested to see what kind of TIM they use. I upgraded to a 7700k this year and while the performance is great, the heat issues have been incredibly frustrating.

It's great that we're moving to 6 core mainstream processors though.

Mifec

They've been using shitty TIM since ivy bridge so I don't expect it to get better. I ended up delidding mine the second I got it.

Mrbob

Don't worry everyone. If you can't or don't want to buy one of these Coffee Lake chips, just wait another 6-10 months and Intel will probably have 9th-gen chips with another new board for you.

I have a 6600K @ 4.5GHz paired with a 1080ti. I think I'll just get a 6700K for cheap sometime early next year. No point in replacing my Z170 board when I just want the extra threads for a few more frames in certain games.

Maybe I should stop reading Anandtech and HardOCP forums because from what I'm reading Intel seems like a hot mess right now. They pushed up the Coffee Lake CPUs and have the Z370 boards ready as refreshed Z270, but this is just a half step for the Z390 boards next year. Yet we don't know if the Z390 boards will offer anything substantial in them that board manufacturers have decided to implement on their own ( like USB 3.1). It's doubtful even that the Z390 will be compatible with what is coming next (Ice Lake, Cannon lake, I forget).

On top of this, there is chatter swirling the current 14nm++ design that Coffee Lake is based on for the 8000 series is more efficient than Intel's upcoming 10nm 9th generation chips. So does this mean waiting for 9th generation processors will lead to a partial step back? To me this sounds crazy but Intel has revised 14nm for awhile. Plus Intel is looking poised to crush their own recently launched X line of CPUs with the 8000 series cpus coming in October, so maybe they are just throwing out whatever they can and seeing what sticks with consumers.

Top Bottom