• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Destiny 2. No co-op campaign. Missions can only be re-played as a fireteam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Well, I guess I can wait for a sale now.
Coop was the only reason I was interested in the game. I have no interest in playing anything in Destiny alone.

5 strikes, now this?

Obviously neither of these aspects tell the full story here - there may be valid reason behind these decisions, and could turn out for the better. But as we come closer to launch, it's feeling increasingly more prudent to wait and see here..
This may be only the beginning, as other shit bubbles to the surface.

It's a huge deal. My friends and I were planning on going through the campaign on Tuesday with all 3 characters.

Now we have to do it solo in what is supposed to be a co-op game.

False alarm if the co-op opens once you do the first few missions or whatever, but if it's the entire thing then it's a dealbreaker for my friends and I.

"It doesn't affect me, therefore I don't give a shit or can't see how it could possibly suck for others"

Crucible, Strikes, Raids. That's where the meat is at. If you're playing Destiny for the story/campaign then it's not going to be a great experience. Plenty of people took issue with that last time but the majority of people were more than happy with the game as it was, and it showed, the numbers never dwindled from launch to the last dlc.

Deku Tree

Someone posted this on discord. Maybe put In OP: doesn't sound like a rumor but a fact

Posting from guide book no spoilers.

"The campaign Missions represent the first major and continuous conflict that you and your guardians become part of. *The campaign is initially played using a single guardian*.

Simo

As a solo player this news doesn't affect me. However if it's true, is surprising since Bungie always supported co-op campaigns in the past.

They still are supporting co-op campaign though. The biggest complaint obviously with D1 was the story and for the sequel we wanted a deeper, richer and more focused story campaign for the sequel and this is the result.

Everything about Destiny 1's story was singular from the very first cutscenes to the final Age of Triumphs scene recounting my achievements as a single guardian, as opposed to a group or fireteam.

So personally, and someone who loves Destiny's lore, this doesn't really bother me since I can focus and explore the campaign at my own pace and then replay it with friends since they'll be incentives to do so. I saw some of the leaked guide pages and the campaign looks quite meaty.

GlamFM

Banned
If they are the same missions that you play the first time solo, how is it not a campaign? Is there something I'm not getting?

Yeah.

In a campaign you are driven by a narrative and game systems.

Beat a story mission? Icon for the next on shows up.

Progress in the story - a new location, vendor, mechanic unlocks.

Picking missions one by one not from a map, but from an NPC after beating the campaign and therefor already having everything unlocked everything is not a substitute for real co-op campaign.

It´s also not a campaign - it´s a mission select screen.

Trakan

I am arguing that it cannot be a big deal because the story is a minor component in the grand scheme of Destiny's range of activities.

It is a big deal. I don't want to slog through the story solo once let alone three times for alt characters.

FelipeMGM

Someone posted this on discord. Maybe put In OP: doesn't sound like a rumor but a fact

Posting from guide book no spoilers.

"The campaign Missions represent the first major and continuous conflict that you and your guardians become part of. *The campaign is initially played using a single guardian*.

well, ''initially'' could mean the initial missions not the whole thing. So still not fully clear

Yeah.

In a campaign you are driven by a narrative and game systems.

Beat a story mission? Icon for the next on shows up.

Progress in the story - a new location, vendor, mechanic unlocks.

Picking missions one by one not from a map, but from an MPC after beating the campaign and therefor unlocking everything is not a substitute for real co-op campaign.

It´s also not a campaign - it´s a mission select screen.

Yeah I now get where you are coming from, just edited my post. I actually agree with you if this turns out to be the case.

UberLevi

I don't get how people can defend something where all they do is take away choice. Those that want to play solo can, those want want to play coop should be able to but can't. Simple as that.
Question is why?

Imagine for example in Mission 4 (this is coming from my ass, so no spoilers) you gain access to your Super, or your Sparrow, or the Social Space, or whatever it is that you didn't have in Missions 1 - 3. Someone who hasn't gotten that far yet invites you into their fireteam to help them play through campaign for their first time and you show up with access to those mechanics which haven't been earned/revealed to the other player yet in their instance of the story. That's why after the story, you can replay it with friends. Because everyone will already have everything unlocked from the story missions so it doesn't matter anymore at that point, but initially stuff like that does matter.

That would make sense if Destiny actually had a story.

I really don't get the "lol, the Destiny franchise has had one game that didn't have a deep campaign and so that automatically means the whole franchise from here on out can never have a relevant story presence" mentality.

FelipeMGM

I have never argued against offering more options. Clearly, it would have been better that way.
I am arguing that it cannot be a big deal because the story is a minor component in the grand scheme of Destiny's range of activities.

I cannot reach the endgame loop without going through the story tho, and I'll do it with 3 chars. If I get bored because Im alone on those 20 something hours and drop it that would be a big deal to me...

Didn't the mission in the beta allow multiple players to play together? I had other people in my game.

there was one area where it would matchmake you with other players, but they werent on your fireteam

Trakan

Slog? The story content is easy and you can rush through it easily.

It's not about being easy or being able to rush through it. Let's say the entire campaign is short, 3 hours long. That's 9 hours of playing solo that I don't want to do. The fun of the game is from playing coop.

Didn't the mission in the beta allow multiple players to play together? I had other people in my game.

Actually now that you mention it, I thought I saw people popping up in my mission at some point but I wasn't sure if they were NPCs or not since it was my first time playing Destiny. (Not talking about the Strike of course)

masterkajo

Imagine for example in Mission 4 (this is coming from my ass, so no spoilers) you gain access to your Super, or your Sparrow, or the Social Space, or whatever it is that you didn't have in Missions 1 - 3. Someone who hasn't gotten that far yet invites you into their fireteam to help them play through campaign for their first time and you show up with access to those mechanics which haven't been earned/revealed to the other player yet in their instance of the story. That's why after the story, you can replay it with friends. Because everyone will already have everything unlocked from the story missions so it doesn't matter anymore at that point, but initially stuff like that does matter.

I really don't get the "lol, the Destiny franchise has had one game that didn't have a deep campaign and so that automatically means the whole franchise from here on out can never have a relevant story presence" mentality.

I can understand that but I still think it would be a bad move. Rather the story or campaign should be design so it is possible for people to play together from the start.

Theorry

Actually now that you mention it, I thought I saw people popping up in my mission at some point but I wasn't sure if they were NPCs or not since it was my first time playing Destiny. (Not talking about the Strike of course)

Thats just part of the shared world thing like patrols also have. Not a fireteam thing. :)

Simo

You would see players during the part when you reached the Tower's courtyard as wave after wave of Cabal arrived. Once you proceeded from that area though you was alone.

I think you folks are doing mental gymnastics to try to believe what is true is not really true.
The article says:

"This single player set of story missions"

A set of story missions that are single player. Not really sure what mental gymnastics are required to think that it's a group of missions in the story that aren't playable solo but will be after the fact, and don't comprise of the entire storyline.

It wasnt. The first missions were solo and TTK subclass mission were solo also.

The Tutorial was solo. Never played TTK. We are 3 people and buy the game together to play it together. all story missions, maybe except the first 1 or 2, were playable together. There is no reason to defend this if it is true.

UberLevi

There's an instance in the tower plaza where other guardians playing through that section phase into the same instance temporarily. This could possibly happen in other places throughout the story (TBD), but you can't invite other players into story missions you haven't yet completed it seems.

Vinc

...Actually quite excited about this. I know I'm the only one, but I literally don't know anyone around me who likes Destiny, and I only mildly enjoyed the original. I love Bungie, but the complete lack of focus on single player modes was a turn-off for Destiny 1 for me. A new solo campaign designed for solo players by Bungie sounds like something out of a dream at this point.

Theorry

The Tutorial was solo. Never played TTK. We are 3 people and buy the game together to play it together. all story missions, maybe except the first 1 or 2, were playable together. There is no reason to defend this if it is true.

Where am i defending it? People are saying Destiny 1 was complety coop. Just stating the facts it wasnt.

120v

if it's heavier on story this time i don't see what the deal is. you'll be matched with people cutting off cutscenes and shit

alt27

Would be strange for sure , but I like to personally play the story solo anyway , but yeah co op should be an option .

But yeah , campaign is nothing in destiny , nowhere near end game . Not that's an excuse , but if your invested in destiny , campaign is bottom of the list of worries

Why are people so dense?

It's a line from the strategy guide referencing a set of story missions that are single-player only that can be replayed after the campaign is finished.

It's obviously a group of missions within the campaign, not the campaign. Use the context the quote is from. So much needless drama because people can't take five seconds to think.

if it's heavier on story this time i don't see what the deal is. you'll be matched with people cutting off cutscenes and shit

Some of us play with friends and planned out an entire playthrough with only friends.

What is so hard to understand about this.

The ๖ۜBronx;247768673 said:
Why are people so dense?

It's a line from the strategy guide referencing a set of story missions that are single-player only that can be replayed after the campaign is finished.

It's obviously a group of missions within the campaign, not the campaign. Use the context the quote is from. So much needless drama because people can't take five seconds to think.

I would love for this to be true, honestly.

This is great news for me personally because I play the game on my own and that means the campaign - which is what I'm looking forward the most - was balanced and designed around one person playing it but this would still be a completely baffling decision since I consider myself to be in the minorty here.
In the same boat. Mixed feelings here.

Would be strange for sure , but I like to personally play the story solo anyway , but yeah co op should be an option .

But yeah , campaign is nothing in destiny , nowhere near end game . Not that's an excuse , but if your invested in destiny , campaign is bottom of the list of worries

Not true, I know plenty of folks just wanting to play the campaign in coop and are buying it primarily for that.

Thinking on this more, I normally play story single player anyway. I hope there's more (and longer) instances of other players showing up in your game ala that Homecoming moment though.

That wasn't a problem in D1. I played the whole campaign with my ex and a friend and it was great. We got to laugh at the shoddy writing together.

woolley

So what it sounds like from the wording it's only some missions in the beginning until you unlock everything, like the whole campaign isn't single player. At least that's what it sounds like to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom