• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Destiny 2. No co-op campaign. Missions can only be re-played as a fireteam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mayhaps they are catering to all the people who have an irrational phobia of online gaming and couldn't understand the last game so they are chucking in this content for people who are still used to traditional single player games.

Mayhaps they are catering to all the people who have an irrational phobia of online gaming and couldn't understand the last game so they are chucking in this content for people who are still used to traditional single player games.

The strange thing is the story never had any matchmaking in D1 so unless you went out of your way to group with friends it was already solo. Just a seemingly arbitrary change overall.

SkylineRKR

So if you had no problem playing these missions solo, despite them being co-op in D1, wouldnt it make sense to keep D1s structure- people who want to play co-op can, people who want to play solo can.

Why force a solo playthrough?

We don't know the full details yet. It could be that the prologue is solo, and the likes of Cayde are assisting you still. Much like the Beta level.

dugdug

Banned
If this is true then fuck this game and i played d1 for 100s of hours.

Same here, except I never once played a single story mission with anyone else.

I have to imagine I'm not alone in doing that. I don't understand them taking options away, but, I wonder if they have data from the first game that backs up their decision to do this.

It's fine if they have this ~20 mission single player immersive story-mode, then branched the rest of the story/campaign into the remaining 60 missions advertised where you can co-op.

NightOnyx

As someone who was going to co-op the campaign right away with a friend, this would be really disappointing. All it does for me is makes me want to push through it as quickly as possible so I can play it with my friend, and flying through the campaign is not how I want to play it. I'm hoping it's just a handful of missions and not the whole thing, but it would be disappointing nonetheless.

I mean what is with Bungie taking options away from playing their game? First they force 4v4, now they are possibly forcing solo missions, or the entire campaign on your first playthrough. Why not let people play the game the way they want?

This would really suck if true because it means I can't play much coop on day one and that would keep most people I know from buying it.

Re posting from the Destiny OT;

If true this is highly disappointing; might even be a deal breaker for some people. We really need Bungie to clarify this and if it's true shame on them for keeping this secret. Though I did beat Destiny 1's story by myself I was actually looking forward to playing with friends or gaffers at launch.Destiny 1 story was co-op from start to finish after the first mission(I hope this is the case)

Foxxsoxx

I don't think I ever did a single story mission in coop now that I think about it. Only the strikes raids and pvp... in 500 hours...

DocSeuss

That "the campaign is initially played solo" makes it sound to me like "your first mission is solo," which it is in the pre-tutorial section of the campaign. I would not be at all surprised if, once you get past the tutorial section, you then can play with your friends. If I recall, Destiny's first mission, prior to the tower, would not let you matchmake either.

I can see how people would read it as "the campaign is played solo the first time," but it sure seems like they're saying the first mission is solo, which, based on the beta, it is, since the game seems to start right up and launch into the beta before anything else.

I don't quite get it.

So this is basically just like Nioh multiplayer system where you have to finish a mission to unlock the co-op mode?

U2NUMB

If this is true then finding out 2 days before it drops is total bull shit. Playing through the game with my brother is something we have both been looking forward to because ya know we did that with the first game.

It would be such an odd choice that I never thought of it as a possibility... Bungie out thinking themselves again.. ugh

I didn't play that much coop when I played destiny 1, mostly because I felt it was a hassle to get a group going, you had to find people using other sites and stuff but now I feel with the options they've added I can finally play through the content with a team of players

With regards to this I love playing sp stuff alone to get the full experience. Sometimes with matchmaking or coop in sp content you have people sprinting through content, forcing you to skip some content that you otherwise would have taken the time to enjoy

speiky

That "the campaign is initially played solo" makes it sound to me like "your first mission is solo," which it is in the pre-tutorial section of the campaign. I would not be at all surprised if, once you get past the tutorial section, you then can play with your friends. If I recall, Destiny's first mission, prior to the tower, would not let you matchmake either.

I can see how people would read it as "the campaign is played solo the first time," but it sure seems like they're saying the first mission is solo, which, based on the beta, it is, since the game seems to start right up and launch into the beta before anything else.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. Homecoming will be solo and once that mission is done (and whatever follow-up stuff you do at the new social space) you'll be in orbit and choose the next story mission from the director. I'm sure that at this point in time you can make fire teams and tackle the story together. So the "initially" might really be limited to the first mission.

GlamFM

Banned
A lot of people, including the OP, appear to be misreading things.

Nope. The entire campaign is initially played solo.

Afterwards you can pick missions one by one to replay them with a fire team.

Edit: at least according to the guide.

Bold One

Really dumb if true - I personally doubt it, but Bungie has form when it comes to going above and beyond the call of duty to curb player freedom.

Feorax

Reposting from Destiny OT:

I genuinely can't think of a good reason why the game would be solo only for the first playthrough.

Destiny is sold as a social experience. Everything about the first game was built around you getting a team together to cooperatively take on everything the game throws at you. This would seem like a massive oversight.

The last thing Destiny needs to do is discourage cooperative play.

This reads to me as there being a subset of missions that are single player only to begin with, which you can replay with a fireteam later. I imagine outside of those specific missions, the rest of the campaign can be played cooperatively on your first run through.

Which really doesn't seem like a very big deal.

Edit: Actually on second read it does seem a bit more ambiguous than I first thought. This would be a weird constraint to apply to the campaign, unless there's something about how it's designed/structured in terms of unlocks that would make co-op awkward for the second/third players.

This reads to me as there being a subset of missions that are single player only to begin with, which you can replay with a fireteam later. I imagine outside of those specific missions, the rest of the campaign can be played cooperatively on your first run through.

I hope this is true. Destiny expansion had forced solo missions too where you get the new powers and since you lose yours in this one it might be that again for 1-2 missions.

That would be so insane, I can't believe it's true. They need to come out and clarify shit. Not having told people this two days before release would be nuts.

UberLevi

It's the whole campaign. It's probably designed to introduce the player to features, one mission at a time, and so having people do co-op together if their progression isn't synced would be an issue on a technical level.

i.e. You don't go to Titan or Nessus until later in the game, but after Homecoming I invite you to my fireteam and drag you off to a planet you're not supposed to be introduced to for another few missions.

DocSeuss

Nope. The entire campaign is initially played solo.

Afterwards you can pick missions one by one to replay them with a fire team.

Edit: at least according to the guide.

I think you are mistaken. If there is ANOTHER section of the guide that reiterates this in different wording, then, sure, fine, makes sense. But the section we saw? It said "the campaign is initially played solo" which does not mean the same thing as "the entire campaign is played solo the first time through." It indicates the campaign is played solo at the beginning.

I mean, I could be wrong. The wording is ambiguous. But it certainly isn't as clear as you make it out to be.

Eric WK

Another part of the guide explicitly says that Campaign Missions are a "single-player set of missions" that can be replayed with a fireteam.

flkraven

How did they somehow take a step back in this regard? The great thing about Destiny is that you can do anything and everything with your friends.

Can someone dumb it down for me?

I've played Destiny 1 but really not that much. I remember the main story took me to planets where I had to do missions and strikes. So does this mean both the missions and the strikes are single player only?

It's the whole campaign. It's probably designed to introduce the player to features, one mission at a time, and so having people do co-op together if their progression isn't synced would be an issue on a technical level.

i.e. You don't go to Titan or Nessus until later in the game, but after Homecoming I invite you to my fireteam and drag you off to a planet you're not supposed to be introduced to for another few missions.

Yeah I edited my first post because I initially misread the description of the campaign from that (now removed) scan. That does make sense as a reason to lock off the single player, but it is a bit odd that they would structure the campaign in such a way that that was necessary.

Alternatively, couldn't they just make it a requirement for co-op that all players have to have the mission unlocked individually in order to play it? That way you can't be pulled forward but can still play together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom