• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR | Emily Rogers: Zelda news coming soon, this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neff

That doesn't much sense though, Samus is a fixed character, Link is different in almost every game and is referred to as the Hero of Time.

This is a good point, but I like Link being a dude, just a preference.

Honestly I'd be fine with female Link so long as gender isn't optional. The game needs to enforce one or the other and stick to it, and shape events/story around that.

Voice acting, NX port, and FemLink
Would've been cool to see all this in the next trailer, but I guess there was no stopping it

mantidor

But... why? It's definitely fake, I refuse to believe Nintendo would be this stupid. Aonuma has clearly said Link isn't female in Zelda U.

I'm all for a Zelda game without Link, I'd like to play as Zelda for a change, Impa as well, or maybe Sheik during the 7-year interval of OOT (has been my wet dream for a while now), but why the constant obsession trying to make Link female? He's not a "link between game and player" any more, he's a fully fleshed character... for Nintendo standards.

I'm not crazy about female Link, seems completely unnecessary and kind of pandering, but Link has not been and will never be a fleshed out character, even by Nintendo standards.

To start we don't even have just one Link, there are several.

I never said they were canon
It's a game that if not directly takes place within the Zelda universe, takes more than enough of it to have a copyright lawsuit if it wasn't approved by Nintendo

Oh of course it was approved back then. That doesnt mean Nintendo ever chose to recognize its exitance after that.

I hope it's a gender toggle.

First playthrough with male Link, second with female Link.
It would be neat if the game changes according to your gender, so playing as both is encouraged.

Ashby

The fact that you could give Link your own name in the very first game is cited by Miyamoto as the essence of the character.

I'm well aware of how little regard Miyamoto has for narrative and characterization. Death of the author easily applies here.

This is a good point, but I like Link being a dude, just a preference.

Honestly I'd be fine with female Link so long as gender isn't optional. The game needs to enforce one or the other and stick to it, and shape events/story around that.
Aside from Ruto in OoT, when has link's gender ever mattered?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
2016-04-0816_58_14-emtnjgo.png

NO WAY!

vareon

Fire Emblem Fates has us decide Corrin's gender, face, name, etc despite Corrin being a much more established character (i.e. not an avatar) than Link. Customizable Link (who is a silent protag) isn't too far off.

BiggNife

It kinda has because everywhere he goes girls flirt with him.
A girl Link can still have strong relationships with female characters like Zelda without it being romantic.

No one was up in arms when Persona 3 introduced a female PC that could form romantic relationships with male characters that the male PC couldn't. Really don't see how this is any different.

lol everyone knew zelda wii u would be on NX so that first rumor might as well be fact

not surprised at the boy/girl option, its about time

voice acting should have been implemented for a while now, NPC characters only have so many lines, can't let them speak?

So what you're saying is they need to carve out a very specific kind of role for the player character in order to make a female player character fit?

What you're saying is their everyman avatar character who they state is envisioned as a stand-in for the player isn't the best way to implement a character that can be representative of the player, regardless of his or her gender?

I think the argument for Zelda over female Link assumes that Link has failed to be a generic representation of the player (due in part to his gender) and notes that Zelda has had increased agency in the last several games and is moving away from just being a damsel-in-distress. The idea would be to abandon the whole idea of trying to represent the player the way a Mass Effect game does, and recognize that Zelda characters are not just blank slates, but still introduce an empowered, non-sexualized female protagonist. I don't know if I personally agree with this argument, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Schnozberry

If they are going to do a female Link, then I do not want a gender toggle. I like my characters to be full characters. As there are many Links, it makes sense that the spirit of the Hero could chose a girl/woman. There is no reason for it not to happen. However, I want Nintendo to fully commit to that - I don't want two Links for this game, basically.

Unless there is time travel shenanigans.

I don't think having a male or female choice would necessarily mean sacrificing characterization, especially since the Link character has been a silent protagonist. If the story offers a branching narrative, it's would be just another choice made by the player to make the hero someone they feel they can identify with.

Link is a character though. I don't want a female link any more than I want a female Mario or a male Samus.

I would love a new character you could choose who is female, or Linkle, or something though.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Awesome about the female Link.
Interested, would you guys be down for total character customization as well? Hair styles, colour, body shape, etc?
I just think it's time the character is a true link to ourselves, rather than just the name. so we can play as ourselves.

I'm well aware of how little regard Miyamoto has for narrative and characterization. Death of the author easily applies here.

Eiji Aonuma, 2014:

"I don't want people to get hung up on the way Link looks because ultimately Link represents the player in the game."

I think the argument for Zelda over female Link assumes that Link has failed to be a generic representation of the player (due in part to his gender) and notes that Zelda has had increased agency in the last several games and is moving away from just being a damsel-in-distress. The idea would be to abandon the whole idea of trying to represent the player the way a Mass Effect game does, and recognize that Zelda characters are not just blank slates, but still introduce an empowered, non-sexualized female protagonist. I don't know if I personally agree with this argument, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

I'm familiar with the argument.

I just think people would hate to see Zelda die because it goes in a direction that abandons its foundational qualities - like an avatar player-character - when those qualities can be found and are better executed in other games. Zelda would lose its raison d'être if that were to happen, IMO.

There's already evidence that Zelda is starting to become irrelevant, otherwise we wouldn't see Nintendo suddenly turn heel on their usual MO of not taking cues from the direction other games are going.

I hope these leaks mean they're getting close to announcing something...

Interested, would you guys be down for total character customization as well? Hair styles, colour, body shape, etc?
I just think it's time the character is a true link to ourselves, rather than just the name. so we can play as ourselves.

NO, only because customized characters look like dumb mutants.

if Nintendos designers made, say, 10 male and 10 female Links that you could choose from i'd be OK with that sort of customization.

If they are going to do a female Link, then I do not want a gender toggle. I like my characters to be full characters. As there are many Links, it makes sense that the spirit of the Hero could chose a girl/woman. There is no reason for it not to happen. However, I want Nintendo to fully commit to that - I don't want two Links for this game, basically.

Unless there is time travel shenanigans.

I feel the same way. I'm totally down for a Zelda with Linkle, but make the character either male or female, not both. Especially if it affects the story.

Link's gender has never been central to his character so I never understood the insistence that he should be male outside of people whining that they don't want something they like to change.

Linkle and Zelda can't make future heroes and princesses together though. Why you steppin on my shippin.

MK_768

He... He chooses the male option lmao

I was joking. I remember when the idea of a femlink being a thing started there were some guys who literally made the complaint I joked about.

But people will complain about the option...because it's unnecessary to have a femlink or whatever.

Interesting cause I remember a thread a few weeks ago about VA in Zelda and a lot of people said they would be okay with Link not having VA but wanted the NPCs and such to have it.

It's definitely the solution I've been hoping for. It makes everyone happy. That is awesome that Nintendo are actually going through with it, if true.

I really wonder if the positive reaction to the Linkle concept art back in late 2014 or so was a factor that led to them making their decision.

maxcriden

Rumor #2: I heard from multiple sources that you can choose between a male or female as your playable character in Zelda.

That is wonderful news. However, has she at all proven herself to be a credible source? My understanding is that she frequently gives out drips and drabs and they've just as often been right as wrong.

diaspora

As long as the Hero of Time is a hero in a green tunic I'm good.

Weirdly, it's the voice acting rumor that makes this kinda hard to believe. It'd be nice, though.

If Link has gender options, I wonder how it'll be handled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom