• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Entire party system on XB1 being replaced, "may take up to a year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finalizer

Man. You have no problem taking a shit on the Wii U but if the Xbone is screwed up then "I'm sure they'll take care of it".

Your fanboy is showing.

I just wanted to point out this post because of how comical it is. Out of all the posts you could accuse of revealing the posters stripes, you go after one of the most innocuous comments in the entire thread, one rife with "oh noes MS dun fugged up lol" comments left and right. Learn to pick your battles, man.

EDIT: Hold on, I just realized I read the post wrong. Now it's even more comical. You're really accusing the wrong guy of having a grudge against Nintendo, lol.

So the new party system just has problems with the voice over IP if the entire party isn't playing the same game correct? The way my friends and I have been playing (before knowing about all this) would be to party up and then just voice chat using the Skype app. Voice over seems to works just fine between multiple games and apps.

biRdy

So the new party system just has problems with the voice over IP if the entire party isn't playing the same game correct? The way my friends and I have been playing (before knowing about all this) would be to party up and then just voice chat using the Skype app. Voice over seems to works just fine between multiple games and apps.

Yeah it works, and is just going to be improved. For some reason everyone without an Xbox One and their dog, thinks the system is completely broken.

x-Lundz-x

Halo 4 was revealed at e3 and we didn't know anything to the following spring. How is this different? Just curious.

Because they had 4 years to work on it. We are talking two years from their last game on brand new hardware that I'm sure MS wants it to be a showpiece for. It's simply not enough time.

Yeah it works, and is just going to be improved. For some reason everyone without an Xbox One and their dog, thinks the system is completely broken.

It's annoying that it's used for invites as well. But the completely broken talk is ridiculous. It's not entirely desirable from a usability perspective, but it works.

So, you've never had an issue with group Skype audio across games? I may have to default to this in the meantime.

dude819

This made a little ice tea come out of my nose. It may function, but almost everyone covering the xbox one has reported, in real time, multiple issues with the party system. It's a poor replacement for their already existing party system on the 360 and is a huge step backwards, even when compared to the PS3.

There is only one negative I have encountered. The fact that when you join/start a party, you need to make 1 extra button press to actually start chatting. That decision is dumb and nonsensical but I am sure it will be fixed.

If that is what passes for broken, then, yes, it is completely broken.

Again, I know a lot of people here know people who know people and such but I will take facts from people who are actually part of the industry as opposed to alleged rumors from one person who writes in the most annoying, nonsensical style possible and a self-aggrandizing know-nothing.

By no stretch of the imagination is it going to take a year to fix.

However, titanfall is going to be pushed back to november and the update will release with it for maximum impact.

no insider knowledge, just damn common sense.

I dont have direct insider knowledge, but have way more credible indications that Titanfall will NOT be delayed.

Because they had 4 years to work on it. We are talking two years from their last game on brand new hardware that I'm sure MS wants it to be a showpiece for. It's simply not enough time.

Wasn't Halo 4 three years? Also it is just weird that MS is that confident to say 2014 so early. I am sure MS knows about new hardware,etc so that is why i am wondering why they seemed so confident to say next year so early.

Jarlaxle

I have an Xbox One and haven't been able to party chat with my friend once yet. I also can't figure out how to play a game of killer instinct with him. I host a game and invite him and then it says he is there and he clearly isn't. We both turn on party chat and still only my mic is going on my screen and his on his screen. Can't get it to work for the life of me.

Vestal

Gold Member

this. Done and done.

if I didn't own an Xone I'd be horrified, but by having one I can only sit back and watch some of the comments here, I stand in awe at how far some posters who haven't even touched the console would go to shit on it or generally make up crap.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Wasn't Halo 4 three years? Also it is just weird that MS is that confident to say 2014 so early. I am sure MS knows about new hardware,etc so that is why i am wondering why they seemed so confident to say next year so early.

Microsoft? Overconfident? Unpossible!

I have an Xbox One and haven't been able to party chat with my friend once yet. I also can't figure out how to play a game of killer instinct with him. I host a game and invite him and then it says he is there and he clearly isn't. We both turn on party chat and still only my mic is going on my screen and his on his screen. Can't get it to work for the life of me.

Are you both on open NAT?

Im gonna be honest. I like Mort, really I do. But he has to let the insider thing go. Like many have said, it comes across more and more that he hears things that have truth to them, but doesn't think of the consequences of posting them in their raw unedited format. Ultimately it doesn't matter what he says post launch, the people who are supportive of the Xbone platform are going to see him negatively. Honestly, It doesn't matter now anyway. There is alot to enjoy from both systems and any bad rumours are just going to encounter even more resistance because nobody wants to think they bought a lemon.

Share things amongst your close circle, even a few people on here, but don't post these kind of things to your blog or twitter. You actually aren't helping anyone and it causes too much console war nastiness to be of any use to anyone.

Same goes for CBOAT.

The only insider info we really need to know are things that are infringing our rights as consumers and leaks of games. Software and OS issues that can and will be fixed are a wash. Same with hardware issues that are localised to small percentage of people.

Just let it go and lets get back to playing games.

x-Lundz-x

lol, then again i think Halo 3 was thought to be 2006 and that was 2007.

You are correct, Gates himself said it would be launching in time for the PS3 launch and look how that turned out. They can want all day long, until reality hits them in the face.

A brand new next gen Halo with a 2 year dev cycle? Disaster in the making if it happens.

Jarlaxle

Are you both on open NAT?

I'm going to try again tonight. I looked at my settings the other day and it says open. I will ask my friend to check his as well.

Never had a problem though when I was on the 360. It's honestly very frustrating. I'm not a technological superwiz but I like to think I'm not an idiot either but two grown adults trying for almost two hours with no results is just a real buzzkill. To top that off, we couldn't even get a game together of KI and then we tried to play BF4 with no results either. I'm not sure if it's those games, the party chat stuff not working for us or a combination of both. He's my only friend that has an XB1 so it's not like I can even try it with anyone else.

Might help, but try starting the party outside of any game and then clicking the start party chat button. You should be able to chat then and when one of you starts up KI, the other should automatically get an invite. Worked for me on BF4.

Pennywise

Im gonna be honest. I like Mort, really I do. But he has to let the insider thing go. Like many have said, it comes across more and more that he hears things that have truth to them, but doesn't think of the consequences of posting them in their raw unedited format. Ultimately it doesn't matter what he says post launch, the people who are supportive of the Xbone platform are going to see him negatively. Honestly, It doesn't matter now anyway. There is alot to enjoy from both systems and any bad rumours are just going to encounter even more resistance because nobody wants to think they bought a lemon.

Share things amongst your close circle, even a few people on here, but don't post these kind of things to your blog or twitter. You actually aren't helping anyone and it causes too much console war nastiness to be of any use to anyone.

Same goes for CBOAT.

The only insider info we really need to know are things that are infringing our rights as consumers and leaks of games. Software and OS issues that can and will be fixed are a wash. Same with hardware issues that are localised to small percentage of people.

Just let it go and lets get back to playing games.

Maybe you should just avoid those topics.

mrdark

Banned
If only there was an insider who had a relatively stable track record that could have somehow given potential purchasers a heads up before dropping 500 dollars on something that is only 80% done.

see5harp

You must be a PS3 or Wii owner

Please it's not like this guy is keeping it a
Secret. He's a guy that doesn't even claim to care about party chat since he prefers to use third party solutions like Skype. Somehow he all of the sudden feels like a party system is integral to teamwork. Ok then.

Jarlaxle

Might help, but try starting the party outside of any game and then clicking the start party chat button. You should be able to chat then and when one of you starts up KI, the other should automatically get an invite. Worked for me on BF4.

I've tried while we were both on the main screen and not in any games. I tried while we were in the same game. Different games. All the same result.

Tripon

Seriously mods lock this thread

The originator of the information has been shown to have been wrong on everything to do with this issue...he wasn't allowed to post the original information on neogaf for a reason because its hearsay's hearsay and there is no corroborating information

Lock it
This thread is weird. As for locking the thread, isn't asking to lock threads publicly a violation of TOS, and you can be banned for it?

hwalker84

J Allard
Please come back

Your people need you

1278286-xbox_e3_kickoff_celebration_hxll8wvs6jel.jpg

It's crazy how one man's vision which was incredibly successful and actually about the gamers has been so distorted. Could you image how amazing the run of the 360 and how well the Xbox One would've been with J still at the helm?

Does no one at Microsoft have the balls or clout to say "Guys this fucking sucks and we're doing a complete injustice to our current/new customers!"

Hey guys we built a platform that did everything on the system level and made things extremely easy for developers. Lets throw that shit out and build something that's complete garbage compared to what we had.

nib95

Banned
This thread is weird. As for locking the thread, isn't asking to lock threads publicly a violation of TOS, and you can be banned for it?

I believe it would come under either thread whining or back seat modding, but not entirely sure. Either way, that kind of thing is better left to the mods to decide.

Lol in the last 2 years of my 360's gaming life the only reason's I had for live anymore were to play with friends who had a 360 and for party chat. That very reason is gone now. Such a shame. It really does feel like the XB1 was rushed out the gate

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
One have two major qualms about GAF insiders including Mort:

1. They aren't insiders and they know far less than any actual insider does.

2. At this point anyone talking to Mort has to know that he is going to share that info with everyone, which calls into question their motivation and also makes it very easy to use him as a conduit for information they want public.

That first issue is just one of somewhat misleading billing. The second one is the key. Judith Miller repeated Iraq information from anonymous sources that told her exactly what she wanted to hear and exactly what they wanted the public to hear. In short she was used, or allowed herself to be used, to convey messages to the public as part of a PR campaign.

When someone tells Mort than the XB1 is unstable and crashing a lot who are they and why are they saying it?

Are they an MS employee that loves MS and the XB1? Probably not. Are they a disgruntled MS employee, someone who wants to see the XB1 fail, a guy at a developer competing with the XB1, someone who gets a kick out of seeing the information they shared go viral? Probably something along those lines.

Any time anyone shared secret info with Mort they must be thinking about it going public and what that means, and must want it to go public. Maybe it started as a guy who knows some people in the industry who share tidbits, but at this point it has to be people using him to get across what they want.

Simply repeating information from anonymous sources is extremely prone to abuse. The guy who said that the XB1 was very unstable - what happened to him? Nothing. He got the message he wanted out there, and when it turned out to be false there were no repercussions.

Edit: A lot of what Mort says comes off to me as basically true, but worded more dramatically than is warranted to make fairly normal issues sound major. It's like how Kotaku contacts the 8 most disgruntled laid-off workers at a dev and prints their office gossip as some sort of expose, billing the sort of stuff you hear at literally every developer (the upper management is fickle and asks for irrelevant changes!) as serious issues.

DUDE! MS has acknowledged that Mort's information is true. They are working on it like Mort said. What's your deal?

Mifune

Mehmber

If there are OS issues that are going to be fixed then it's worthwhile to hear about them. I don't understand why people have to come into these threads and say that the info in the OP isn't worth posting. Isn't that a violation of the ToS? Is it so hard to just not read the thread if it insults you so much?

This may surprise you but there are a lot of people who are interested in buying these consoles but are waiting until many of the launch issues are ironed out. And threads like this one help people understand the extent of these issues better than all the 7.5s and 8s from the Polygons of the world. Yes, the issues will (hopefully) be solved but I don't think anyone should act like it's a foregone conclusion and therefore not worth talking about.

Well hopefully this is true. The party system isn't terrible or broken by any means but it is a step back from the 360 version so if they decide to overhaul it into something resembling the 360 party system I'll be pretty happy with that.

Also if they fix a few of the quirky/missing UI elements and bring back friend notifications then the dashboard will be pretty much perfect in my eyes.

Either way, the first system update for the Xbox One should be pretty exciting.

Mesoian

There is only one negative I have encountered. The fact that when you join/start a party, you need to make 1 extra button press to actually start chatting. That decision is dumb and nonsensical but I am sure it will be fixed.

If that is what passes for broken, then, yes, it is completely broken.

Again, I know a lot of people here know people who know people and such but I will take facts from people who are actually part of the industry as opposed to alleged rumors from one person who writes in the most annoying, nonsensical style possible and a self-aggrandizing know-nothing.

..no dude. Go to giantbomb, ign, polygon, gamespot, anyone who had a live stream on the day of release. The problem lies in migrating games, chat across the games and how it doesn't sync if someone leaves or changes state. THAT'S the broken stuff, that's why everyone's mad and there's a ton of documentation on it already. How it's being FIXED is up to rumor right now, but the issues at hand are plentiful and easy to find.

E92 M3

It's crazy how one man's vision which was incredibly successful and actually about the gamers has been so distorted. Could you image how amazing the run of the 360 and how well the Xbox One would've been with J still at the helm?

Does no one at Microsoft have the balls or clout to say "Guys this fucking sucks and we're doing a complete injustice to our current/new customers!"

Hey guys we built a platform that did everything on the system level and made things extremely easy for developers. Lets throw that shit out and build something that's complete garbage compared to what we had.

Yes, it baffles how they threw away everything successful about the 360. It'd truly be great to have J back in a leadership position. I've thought of how the Xbox One would have been like under him. Probably wouldn't even have that name for starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom