• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Entire party system on XB1 being replaced, "may take up to a year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pennywise

Lets just be clear:- I have no horse in this race. I don't really care when the Xbone party chat is fixed because having used one, I have less than no interest in system baring a massive dump of exclusives in my favourite genres. I not taking any of this personally unlike soe in this thread

Nor am I say the information isn't worth posting. What I am saying, that this secondary source stuff is barely better than heresay and is going to gain far more negative traction than positive traction. At the end of the day unless you have solid, 100% undeniable proof, you are just preaching to the choir at this moment in time, so maybe its better to keep rumours like this local for a while.

It's no rumor when MS basically admitted it.
The actual solution or the more likely the time frame is questionable here, but even that wasn't stated as fact.It COULD take quite long, and that's the magic word here.
No one stated it's gonna take so long.
Besides it wasn't Mort who posted the rumor here, and there was a clear statement regarding twitter/blogs from insiders, but it looks like the mods think the topic deserves to stay open.

If you just want to play games without any sort of negative statements surrounding a plattform, you should avoid these topics.They're part of NeoGaf and I'm glad that some backround knowledge is given.
That doesn't mean they're always right though, and people should always take everything with a grain of salt, no matter who start's it.

Mifune

Mehmber
The Xbox One is far from perfect but Captain FUD needs to chill with weekly "I'm being a neutral professional but here's some bad news about the company I openly hate" articles. It's very tiresome.
a self-aggrandizing know-nothing.
I would say the name-calling in your posts is just as tiresome. Don't want to read it, don't click on the link. Just that simple.

Iacobellis

With every passing day i'm glad I jumped ship to the PS4 this gen.

Those who made the 360 great left Microsoft a long time ago.

Those who made Xbox has a whole excellent have left. 360 was able to do better than PS3 because Microsoft let go of the "hardcore, young adult" image and were able to capitalize on Sony's mistakes. Realistically, the 360 almost had a two year head start due to how barren 2007 was for the PS3.

hawk2025

I am seriously amazed that people are considering this UI's problems "small convenience issues", particularly when it comes to parties.

Maybe I expect too much from something I paid $500 for.

iJudged

Banned
Major Nelson said there is problems.

You said it was completely broken. and then others said snap and smartglass may not work for months.

You and two other leakers either didn't get the right information, didn't know what the information you got meant, or purposefully put the information out knowing it would be fixed by launch.

You created a huge thread over what turned out to be pretty much nothing but a few small convenience issues. And you shouldn't have done it. You messed up big time.

Boom.

Enectic

Banned
Those quotes, about it being "a complete fucking mess" was the state it was in at the time. They made great strides, as my source said was possible, but they obviously didn't fix it outright because the way the entire process is setup is nonsensical.

They are now fixing that.

People "freaking out" over this in either direction are a problem, yes. But I'm not one of those people. I reported as it was told to me and I even wrote a paragraph of opinion at the end where I praised MS for doing harder but right thing.

Well then you need to be clearer when writing your articles. Your latest article states...

Back in late October I posted a piece with an interview with an unnamed developer who claimed that the Party System and general XBL-related UI functions were having major issues and wouldn’t be fixed for “months” after launch. The launch has come and gone and these issues are, in fact, real.

The article you linked to stated...

The short story is that Xbox Live and the OS, especially in functions that involve XBL, are a complete fucking mess. One source says we aren’t talking weeks until it works correctly but “months.” Things like parties dropping people when moving from one thing to another. Connectivity issues. Missed invites. Friend requests not working, etc.

He then said “If all you are doing is running a game and that’s the only app things are fine.”

You're current article states that these issues are real and now in a later post here you state...

Most of the time for most people this will work just fine.

The information just seems inconsistent and it seems you want to only use certain parts of your previous article while omitting other parts.

Satchel

Banned
Those quotes, about it being "a complete fucking mess" was the state it was in at the time. They made great strides, as my source said was possible, but they obviously didn't fix it outright because the way the entire process is setup is nonsensical.

They are now fixing that.

People "freaking out" over this in either direction are a problem, yes. But I'm not one of those people. I reported as it was told to me and I even wrote a paragraph of opinion at the end where I praised MS for doing harder but right thing.

It's not nonsensical.

Is it a step back from the 360? yep. But aside from ther stupid fact that you have to manually turn on chat once in a party it WORKS.

The main issue with the entire OS overall is that everything is an app rather than built into the OS like everything was on 360.

Nafai1123

Banned
Journalists report there are problems.
NeoGAFers report there are problems.
MS PR admits there are problems.
And yet some people in this thread refuse to recognize there are problems and attack Mort.
It's just a $500 piece of plastic and metal guys, get a fucking grip.

Vestal

Gold Member
who said that MS is a good software company? like seriously!

Windows is plagued with installs and crashes since forever. Zune was horrible, Windows phone OS is lagging behind both Android and iOS. Hotmail is strangely slow and badly designed.

a half assed effort from apple on mac OS easily triumph anything MS has ever done with Windows (accessibility, efficiency).
Gone off the deep end have we??

why not throw an M$ while you are at it?

I mean your post is basically filled with so many inaccuracies and miss representations of how Microsoft software works you might as well go all in.

Iacobellis

Don't understand the hate towards famousmortimer. If Xbox One is all good and dandy, why not just play the fucking system? Is attacking a guy over the Internet more fun than Ryse?

I'd say it's more of the salty ignorance that a lot of the staunch xbone supporters have when it comes to discussing these issues.

On that note, CBOAT PLEASE COME OUT OF HIDING.
PIC

Think this one is better for the situation.

250px-HowToEatWithYourButt09.gif

I hope so, the party system is pretty awkwardly implemented.

Don't understand the hate towards famousmortimer. If Xbox One is all good and dandy, why not just play the fucking system? Is attacking a guy over the Internet more fun than Ryse?

what is this lol? if you don't play the system 24/7 then it isn't good and dandy?

hawk2025

Here's an experiment:

Start a 3+ person party.
Now go play Ryse multiplayer.

"Minor inconveniences"? Give me a break.

So like EA, they release unfinished, malfunctioning products. Glad I didn't buy one at launch.

I'm sure you're not really interested in an Xbox One, but it works fine.
Of course there are some issues and it'll receive updates over time, but overall it is a fully functioning device*.
*The party system works, it just sucks.

And yet some people in this thread refuse to recognize there are problems and attack Mort.
I don't get it either.

Bulk_Rate

This is crazy....seamless multiplayer, party etc. is what defined 360 to me and is at the core of my fondest memories with the system (100's of hours of BC2 and Gears with parties of friends etc. with perfect, idiot-proof functionality).

To voluntarily destroy such a competitive advantage is stupefying to contemplate.

This is why I never believe in elaborate conspiracy theories - sheer incompetence is usually a better explanation.

Prine

Banned

Your being a tad melodramatic. Everyone admits there's a problem, but it's usable, not as streamlined and convenient as the 360 but certainly not broken. That's being addressed by many here who do use it extensively, and unlike before can call out bullshitters looking to stir things.

yea some guys in here sounding real fucking salty lol. ms is fixing the issues, be happy.

It's bizarre to see MS going from leading the way with this sort of stuff to playing catch up to their own previous system. The whole core features as an app mentality is shockingly poor thinking for a game console. It honestly feels like it was meddled with by suits who want everything to resemble Windows 8, good idea or not.

Pete Dodd ruined my life!

Glad to see the reporting and it confirms what MS is saying. They are working to streamline this stuff. I would expect them to prioritize the Party function and clean up everything else. The fact that they can update the App will hopefully make this easier.

I'm sure AP has seen your article and is laying low before they respond and create further confusion.

I'm happy with mine and I don't expect things to get worse before they get better.

zou

Hilarious.

So some guy that he just talked to for the first time tells him he's a dev and everything is shit, broken, nothing works and it's the PS3 Party system all over again. Months until things work correctly! He talks to some other dev whos says some of that is true. So famousmortimer runs off to post his totally true rumor.

The short story is that Xbox Live and the OS, especially in functions that involve XBL, are a complete fucking mess. One source says we aren’t talking weeks until it works correctly but “months.” Things like parties dropping people when moving from one thing to another. Connectivity issues. Missed invites. Friend requests not working, etc.

He then said “If all you are doing is running a game and that’s the only app things are fine.”

So with the release behind us and things generally working alright, it almost seems as someone was full of shit (probably the "I'm a dev" guy). Instead, we have famousmortimer claiming he was right all along and his sources have been vindicated because Microsoft said they would be improving their Party system?

Let's just remember how he actually learned of this totally true rumor:
I was contacted by someone claiming to be a dev. He told me a bunch of info. I had no idea if it was true or not. [...] I was looking for other sources for hours. Nothing. And then I got partial verification from another dev

So basically the whole rumor is some guy hitting him up saying he's totally a dev, after all you can't lie on the internet. No one will confirm the story. Then finally someone says "yeah, part of that is true" and famousmortimer breaks his exclusive scoop.

My bet? Some guy made things up and the partial confirmation was something along the lines of "yeah, there's some issues and the party chat is somewhat of a mess compared to how it was on the 360".

I understand why Sony would copy/imitate MS's 360 solution for PS4, but why in the world did MS go with Sony's PS3 implementation for Xbone? This makes no sense.

It really does feel like the 360 team was completely hands-off with the One.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Hilarious.

So some guy that he just talked to for the first time tells him he's a dev and everything is shit, broken, nothing works and it's the PS3 Party system all over again. Months until things work correctly! He talks to some other dev whos says part of that is true. So famousmortimer runs off to post his confirmed and totally true rumor.

So with the release behind us and things generally working alright, it almost seems as someone was full of shit (probably the "I'm a dev" guy). Instead, we have famousmortimer claiming he was right all along and his sources vindicated because Microsoft said they would be improving their Party system?

So basically the whole rumor is some guy hitting him up saying he's totally a dev, after all you can't lie on the internet. No one will confirm the story. Then finally someone says "yeah, part of that is true" and famousmortimer posts his exclusive scoop.

My bet? Some guy made things up and the partial confirmation was something along the lines of "yeah, there's some issues and the party chat is somewhat of a mess compared to how it was on the 360".
Stop attacking Mort dude.

Satchel

Banned
I understand why Sony would copy/imitate MS's 360 solution for PS4, but why in the world did MS go with Sony's PS3 implementation for Xbone? This makes no sense.

What the fuck? The PS3 doesn't even HAVE party chat.

MS hasn't gone with the Sony implementation of anything. They just decided to make everything it does an app instead of baking it into the OS. That's the real issue with most things.

HokieJoe

Those who made Xbox has a whole excellent have left. 360 was able to do better than PS3 because Microsoft let go of the "hardcore, young adult" image and were able to capitalize on Sony's mistakes. Realistically, the 360 almost had a two year head start due to how barren 2007 was for the PS3.

No, they haven't.

see5harp

I don't get this line of thinking at all. PS3 didn't even have anything resembling a party system and their current implementation doesn't have a universal invite system. Party system on the current XBOX is all sorts of screwed up but we should keep it clear that both of these companies seemingly do not understand why people loved the 360 so much.

Hilarious.

So some guy that he just talked to for the first time tells him he's a dev and everything is shit, broken, nothing works and it's the PS3 Party system all over again. Months until things work correctly! He talks to some other dev whos says some of that is true. So famousmortimer runs off to post his totally true rumor.

So with the release behind us and things generally working alright, it almost seems as someone was full of shit (probably the "I'm a dev" guy). Instead, we have famousmortimer claiming he was right all along and his sources have been vindicated because Microsoft said they would be improving their Party system?
Generally working alright, if only a small minority are reporting problems I'm surprised Neslon acknowledged they are listening to complaints and a fix is coming.

So many juniors.

MS hasn't gone with the Sony implementation of anything. They just decided to make everything it does an app instead of baking it into the OS. That's the real issue with most things.

and it's terrible and there really isn't any excuse to go backwards from what made the 360 so great. If there ever was a sign that one should wait much longer or bail out, this would be it.

This thread reads almost exactly like pre-xbox unveil threads, where folks were getting "attacked" for merely laying out the (inferior) specs of the console, the policies and everything that came to pass, like cboat and others, just by being the messengers of "bad news".

Levi

Banned
I was looking forward to playing Ghost with a coworker on Xb1. Party chat / game invitations don't fucking work. We ended up starting a Google Hangout just to fucking communicate while we played.

Both of us had Open Nat, we restarted multiple times, it just would not let us party up and voice chat. Even if it worked as designed, it's way too damn complicated compared to the 360. I want to play the game and chat with my friend, not push 500 buttons and hope it works. Frustrating.

Hilarious.

So basically the whole rumor is some guy hitting him up saying he's totally a dev, after all you can't lie on the internet. No one will confirm the story. Then finally someone says "yeah, part of that is true" and famousmortimer breaks his exclusive scoop.

You have like missed the point entirely .

Ishan

Yes. You're not better than them. Shut up and stop derailing the topic. It adds nothing to the thread.

OT: I see no reason for them to do this. They nailed it with the 360. Why change it?

guess they wanted to move to an app centric modular design

I don't get this line of thinking at all. PS3 didn't even have anything resembling a party system and their current implementation doesn't have a universal invite system. Party system on the current XBOX is all sorts of screwed up but we should keep it clear that both of these companies seemingly do not understand why people loved the 360 so much.
PS3 implementation, as in it hands off responsibility for chat to the game, a la mort's post here:

“Let me get into some technical detail regarding it – on 360, the OS handles all of the party and chat functionality. All you do is hook up the XBL VOiP OS API into your game, and it does most of the work for you. With it results in is a shared experience across multiple entertainment. If you’re watching movies or playing games, you can do it together. However, this system is entirely different on Xbox One. So, lets say me, you, and Thuway have xbox one’s that are online. We are signed in our profiles. Sitting at the home screen, we are considered to be in a “Xbox Party” on the server. There are no more ‘party leaders’. With that said if any one of us decide to start a game, the party is shifted over to that game’s party system. Each game now has their custom written VOIP.”

“In essence, it is almost EXACTLY how it was on the PS3, and it is in those API “handshakes” that is breaking the online experience.”
So why would they do this? What's the benefit?

Nafai1123

Banned
Your being a tad melodramatic. Everyone admits there's a problem, but it's usable, not as streamlined and convenient as the 360 but certainly not broken. That's being addressed by many here who do use it extensively, and unlike before can call out bullshitters looking to stir things.

And where in this thread has Mort stirred shit up? He reported (correctly I might add) on the party system operating differently than the 360, and now he's reporting that MS is overhauling the new system. Isn't that a good thing? Isn't it good news that MS is admitting there's a problem and is fixing it? Is Mort a bullshitter stirring things up by reporting this?

Maybe....people are upset because a complete overhaul of the system MS fucked up could take a long time. Maybe they are upset because they don't like the system the way it is, regardless of whether it's just "inconvenient" or "broken." And maybe, just maybe...they are projecting that anger onto the person who is reporting it, because they don't want to believe it would take MS that long to completely rework the way apps and party chat work on the system.

But then again, maybe I'm just being melodramatic as you said...

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
At this point the primary discussion going on in this thread is about whether famousmortimer is awesome or the worst thing ever. Should the original story get a second source or more information, feel free to repost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom