• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor]Final Fantasy 9 remake will be turn based, use the ATB gauge, and will be closer to the Crisis Core remake in ambition

Spyxos

Gold Member
home-background.jpg

Square Enix’s next Final Fantasy remake hasn’t been the best kept secret as rumours have been swirling for a few months now that the magical Final Fantasy IX is the next Final Fantasy game on the cards for the remake treatment at the Japanese developer. Gaming journalist and insider Jeff Grubb has reiterated claims that Final Fantasy IX Remake is in active development though he said that the remake of Final Fantasy IX can’t compare to the scale of Final Fantasy VII: Remake and says that a better analogy would be the difference between Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core and Final Fantasy VII: Remake. Grubb went on to say that it will use the ATB turn-based system and that the classic game won’t change drastically, but it will still feel good and isn’t a simple HD remaster.

Update:

"I haven't talked about FF9 in weeks, but these rumors keep bouncing back and forth between blogs and Twitter and YouTube as if I've said something new or different. I just said it's definitely real, which of course it is."
So in short, that new reddit post that was linked in the article was really just referring to Jeff Grubbs statement from a while ago and was misinterpreted as something new

Last edited:
Also am I the only one tired of remakes? I mean we use to call devs lazy when they made sequels but this new generation wont even do that, do we really want need remakes of games, I know I don't.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
ATB is back? I'll believe it when I see it. I can't trust SE for shit these days. Hope it's true though.
its nothing special, because its just for a light remake game.

New FF17 though...thats a different story, i think they will stick with action from now on.

I wish they would do an AAA Final Fantasy VIII remake trilogy.
with whisperers!!!!multiverse!!!!

Last edited:

Hudo

Let me put an idea on the table: Hire Matsuno, take Hiroyuki Itou out of the closet, get Akihiko Yoshida and Sakimoto. And then, you know, make a new Ivalice game.

• Love
Reactions: Isa
I’m very curious about this game. The old rumor is it has a Links Awakening art style and is actually being made with Mistwalker studios and a Square team.

Which if true, gives it some hype automatically.

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: K2D

Chukhopops

Looks good to me, I'd rather have a lower budget remaster faithful to the original (Trials of Mana, Tactics Ogre Reborn) than a high-budget, made for modern tastes remake.

I don't believe IX is popular enough to get the kind of budget used for FF7 Remake anyway.
I’m very curious about this game. The old rumor is it has a Links Awakening art style and is actually being made with Mistwalker studios and a Square team.

Which if true, gives it some hype automatically.
Excuse Me What GIF by Film Riot

Larxia

Thank God! Guess they're keeping that shitty nomura away from it.
Nomura never even worked on FF IX, why are you even saying this? It really seems like people like to shit on Nomura for no reason, proof is the people who recently said FF XVI was confusing because of Nomura :messenger_sleeping:.
He was a core member of FF VII development, it made sense for him to be there for VII Remake.

Anyway, it sounds like missed potential if you make a remake only to keep it turn based in the end, weird choice if they do. Unless it's a really improved "turn based" ATB system, like how XIII changed it for example, but if it's generic regular turn based... no thanks.

Yumi

All I really need is snappy combat encounters. I love IX but it is the slowest loading wise, and animation wise. You can have everyone refill their ATB in the time it takes vivi to cast a spell.

Also the chocoholic mini game needs a rework. Even at 16x speed using emulation, it took forever to find all the chocographs in the latter part of that side quest.

I honestly wouldn’t mind if it were a little more difficult too, but given their track record they will probably make it easier if anything.

K2D

Banned
An anime coupled with a Crisis Core-Tier remaster with voice acting would be very welcome!

I'd probably buy them as Christmas stocking for all my cousins, nieses and nephews. Wonder if they'd go the extra mile and make localizations.

Ar¢tos

Zidane and the cast never connected with me and basically more of them have been forgotten about. Vivi of course is the only exception. Steiner at times as a bit funny. But I'll take Cloud, Squall, Titus or Clyde any day.
You prefer the emotionless emos instead of a character that shows feelings.
Feelings = bad (or something like that....)

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Go_Ly_Dow

Always thought this will be the same game just with higher budget 4k pre-rendered backgrounds, redrawn world map, remastered music, remade CGI and perhaps voice acting.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
SquareEnix is on a proper roll, and I'm all for it.
  • Nier Replicant
  • FFVII Remake
  • FF16
  • Octopath Traveler 1 and 2
  • Triangle Strategy
  • FFVII Rebirth
And now, FF9.

Reactions: Dis

Brigandier

Always thought this will be the same game just with higher budget 4k pre-rendered backgrounds, redrawn world map, remastered music, remade CGI and perhaps voice acting.

I'd be ok with this if the battle system gets a nice makeover too but keeps the turn based system.

I think the gameplay is the only thing about that game that needs significant improving.
It has aged really well, besides that.

But I'm excited to see all the possible changes. Remakes are more appealing to me when they feel free to mess around with everything, and make something that is better or just as good as the original.

AngelMuffin

Nomura never even worked on FF IX, why are you even saying this? It really seems like people like to shit on Nomura for no reason, proof is the people who recently said FF XVI was confusing because of Nomura :messenger_sleeping:.
He was a core member of FF VII development, it made sense for him to be there for VII Remake.

Anyway, it sounds like missed potential if you make a remake only to keep it turn based in the end, weird choice if they do. Unless it's a really improved "turn based" ATB system, like how XIII changed it for example, but if it's generic regular turn based... no thanks.
After playing through FF16, I’d take any form of a turned-based battle system. I was completely bored with the button mashing about halfway through that game.

Larxia

After playing through FF16, I’d take any form of a turned-based battle system. I was completely bored with the button mashing about halfway through that game.
Because the game is too simple, too easy. There are a lot of action games that can be engaging if done right and with a proper challenge.

I'm also not against some form of ATB if it feels fresh and engaging, I for example really enjoyed the combat system in Lightning Returns. The classic turn based / basic atb where you barely do anything but everyone say it's "strategic" because you click on things on a menu (which are things that could totally be done in real time), are not that exciting to me.

Last edited:

squarealex

I don't believe IX is popular enough to get the kind of budget used for FF7 Remake anyway.
Sure... but common.. this

claims that Final Fantasy IX Remake is in active development though he said that the remake of Final Fantasy IX can’t compare to the scale of Final Fantasy VII: Remake and says that a better analogy would be the difference between Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core and Final Fantasy VII: Remake. Grubb went on to say that it will use the ATB turn-based system and that the classic game won’t change drastically, but it will still feel good and isn’t a simple HD remaster.

I hope when he says that is a balanced between "FF7: Remake" and Crisis Core "Remaster", but I hope is "more" remake than "remaster"... because Crisis Core is just a Remaster... not very a "remake"..

Final Fantasy IX is a mainline episode and more expensive than FF8/10 an his time. That's not just a "simple" game at remaking, he was ambitious in his time. Knowing that Square has lost all the original assets of the game. The visual and artistic works for this game (design, chara/world design, music) is enormous for 2023/2024 standard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom