• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor]Final Fantasy 9 remake will be turn based, use the ATB gauge, and will be closer to the Crisis Core remake in ambition

Lokaum D+

All the FF for the next million years will be action RPG and you want to destroy the only chance we got to get a Turn Based FF. Stop being greedy.
its no being greed, P5 has an amazing turn based combat, just do something like that, fast paced, great music, elemental weakness focused combat and we all ll hava an amazing modern turne based combat for a FF9 remake.

mortal

Gold Member
I hope the remake is more faithful to Itahana's designs rather than making them look more life-like as FFVII Remake did.

FFIX-Character-Height-Comparisons-2.jpg

Ek-G5-VKUc-AAkg6v.jpg
Ek-Gx55-U0-AYRb-Fb.jpg

Ek-G9hi-Uc-AAf2i-R.jpg
Ek-HBNWU0-AAh-N94.jpg

914-Characters-12.jpg
917-Characters-15.jpg

w3fri3fbo9751.jpg

Historia

Banned
its no being greed, P5 has an amazing turn based combat, just do something like that, fast paced, great music, elemental weakness focused combat and we all ll hava an amazing modern turne based combat for a FF9 remake.
P5 combat is broken, the Royal version is even more broken. Buff/debuff is useless, passive skills are OP. It is just mindless critical/weakness for me. Maybe because the general playerbase are just there for the social dating sims aspect and not the gameplay

Lokaum D+

P5 combat is broken, the Royal version is even more broken. Buff/debuff is useless, passive skills are OP. It is just mindless critical/weakness for me. Maybe because the general playerbase are just there for the social dating sims aspect and not the gameplay
it dosent need to be the same, but it can be used as a base for a fast and more dinamic turn based combat, thats what i m saying.

Larxia

You can go play Devil May Cry.
But seriously, why do you not want any improvements on it? It was super basic. Even if you keep it as a "menu based" combat system, it could be much improved. I don't really get it honestly.

Seyken

I imagine any changes will cause division as usual. I'm sure there are many who like the "chibi" style characters of the original. I'd be fine either way though.

Also, I'm pretty sure Zidane already has a more realistic model thanks to Dissidia (though Nomura design)
23qLu8i.png
Yeah, Zidane and co. already having a more realistic model is what makes me expect the graphical change, just to get it more in line with the other 3D Final Fantasies.

FF9 sticks out a lot with the chibi style (negatively in my opinion, but like you said, people will be divided about this), so if the change does happen, I'm a happy camper.

Lokaum D+

Yeah, Zidane and co. already having a more realistic model is what makes me expect the graphical change, just to get it more in line with the other 3D Final Fantasies.

FF9 sticks out a lot with the chibi style (negatively in my opinion, but like you said, people will be divided about this), so if the change does happen, I'm a happy camper.
yeah, for a long time i was on the team "ff9 chibi style is awful" but nowadays i think is one of the strongest points of this game.

this "realist Zidane" is a nightmare fuel imo

Last edited:
Don't worry Larxia Larxia , if this is a full fledged top to bottom remake, it won't be built specifically to please the old men on GAF. They will most likely make changes to grab younger audiences and people with less patience. If it costs as much as a full blown remake, they'll be wanting as much profit as possible.

For me personally, as long as they get rid of randomized encounters, I don't care too much about what they do from that point forward. If they end up making it feel more dynamic in gameplay, then that's even better news.

I still think FF9 is an odd pick if this is true, but maybe Square Enix is seeing what Capcom is doing with Resident Evil and they're thinking 'we can do that too'.

I'm not interested enough to go back and play age old games, but when something is modernized I can give it a try because I'm part of the audience. Don't see the problem 🤷‍♂️
When you need to downgrade something for an audience to enjoy, you start to encounter problems. The problem lies not in modernizing something or not. The easiest aspect of the game to discuss, its visuals, already becomes problematic. It's a game that is firmly rooted in its time, aesthetically well put together. Simply modernizing it for the sake of it can automatically break its charm. Square enix just can't do this today

ergem

FFIX is my all time favorite game. I can live with this. Hopefully it’s open world and airships are in.

Open world with this game would really work. In the original game, you can’t just go anywhere without passing through some sort of gateway or cave. The territories and kingdoms are separated by mountain ranges and ocean.

If it's Crisis Core in terms of remake scope, then I wouldn't expect much.
I’m assuming it meant that the game won’t be a super high budget remake that ends up being a totally different experience.

Also: have you even played the PSP version of CC and/or the remaster?

There was A LOT of effort put into the Remaster. For one, the gameplay is so improved it isn’t even funny. The original PSP game was a boring slog, while the remaster was actually really fun to the point where I completed like 70% of the side missions. Graphics also received a total overhaul. Summons received new CG cinematics. All the voices were re-recorded.

It had a lot of effort put into it.

Last edited:
FFIX is my all time favorite game. I can live with this. Hopefully it’s open world and airships are in.

Open world with this game would really work. In the original game, you can’t just go anywhere without passing through some sort of gateway or cave. The territories and kingdoms are separated by mountain ranges and ocean.
FFIX, a game that’s very restrictive with a forced party set-up, forced switched perspectives, and a linear structure until like halfway through the 3rd disc, is something you claim to be your favorite game of all time, and you want it to be open world for the remake?

Unless by “open world” you just mean a little less restrictive, with more room for exploration in earlier segments of the game? I guess that could work but the devs would probably have to incorporate some additional side content.

Sure... but common.. this

I hope when he says that is a balanced between "FF7: Remake" and Crisis Core "Remaster", but I hope is "more" remake than "remaster"... because Crisis Core is just a Remaster... not very a "remake"..

Final Fantasy IX is a mainline episode and more expensive than FF8/10 an his time. That's not just a "simple" game at remaking, he was ambitious in his time. Knowing that Square has lost all the original assets of the game. The visual and artistic works for this game (design, chara/world design, music) is enormous for 2023/2024 standard.
Have you played Crisis Core? It’s not a remake but it absolutely not just a remaster, either. There was a ton of effort put into it. I’m assuming it’ll be a more traditional type of remake, where it’s largely faithful to the original experience (in more than just its story). rather than something like VIIR where it’s a total(ly expensive) overhaul.

Larxia

with less patience
I don't really think that's fair, I often see turn based described as this "strategic" and mature audience thing, but this was always not true to me, many turn based games are more easy than action games, and the only obstacle is not being high level enough.

In Kingdom Hearts III in Critical mode, I spent about 10 hours on the Yozora boss fight, if that's not "patience", I'm not sure what is. I'm not asking FF IX to be Kingdom Hearts, but I'm just saying action games can require patience, be strategic, and more challenging than the most basic versions of turn based / atb.

I don't really think that's fair, I often see turn based described as this "strategic" and mature audience thing, but this was always not true to me, many turn based games are more easy than action games, and the only obstacle is not being high level enough.

In Kingdom Hearts III in Critical mode, I spent about 10 hours on the Yozora boss fight, if that's not "patience", I'm not sure what is. I'm not asking FF IX to be Kingdom Hearts, but I'm just saying action games can require patience, be strategic, and more challenging than the most basic versions of turn based / atb.
Maybe I used the wrong choice of words, but when I'm thinking of 'patience' in relation to FF 9, it's not patience based on a fun and difficult challenge of gameplay. Instead it's patience based on how slow the game generally moves, which is what you were partly bringing up as an issue. What you've said about Yozora is an example of the good kind of patience. There's challenge and reward. It's satisfying. It makes you want to try again and again. If you had to sit through a ton of longform text dialogue and fight random encounters before each time you attempted Yozora it would become more grating and that 10 hours would turn into possibly 2-4, based on a number of annoyances outside of the Yozora boss fight eating up your time.

I understand your gripe about over leveling. I don't know how to avoid that other than having a soft form of level scaling, which most people don't like because you lose that feeling of power.

FF 9 is an extremely slow game, and random encounters make it an even slower experience. Like you and others here have mentioned before, there are ways they can improve upon it all without it needing to be fully action. Regardless, my previous statement was more to ease your worries, because there are a lot of people here who make bad predictions and wrong calls when it comes to modern remakes of older video games. Again, if this is a full remake, there's maybe a 75% chance they will make changes to the game for newer audiences. It would be much easier to worry more about what those changes will be, and worry less about people on this small corner of the internet wanting everything to stay the same as it has in the 90s.

ergem

FFIX, a game that’s very restrictive with a forced party set-up, forced switched perspectives, and a linear structure until like halfway through the 3rd disc, is something you claim to be your favorite game of all time, and you want it to be open world for the remake?

Unless by “open world” you just mean a little less restrictive, with more room for exploration in earlier segments of the game? I guess that could work but the devs would probably have to incorporate some additional side content.

It will only really become open once you get the airship.

I want it to remain true to it’s restrictiveness. I think that they can pull an open world for this without sacrificing the narrative and story telling because the continents and areas are separated by mountain rangers and gateways anyway. Strictly speaking, you can’t go anywhere until the story progresses.

Edit: To clarify, by open world I mean the world map fleshed out. Not something akin to ffxvi world map although I also love that game for its lore and story.

Last edited:

skit_data

By pure coincidence I actually just started playing FFIX yesterday (wanted some more FF after playing FFXVI). Better play the original before the remake comes.

I just got to the part when Zidane says "Oooh, soft..." while grabbing the princess ass. I was pretty shocked and wondered if I just misinterpreted what happened but no, it seems that's indeed what he does. I even found a GAF thread about it while googling:

I imagine this remake will have to either completely remove it or they could make it more obvious he's just accidentaly bumping into her or something (it's still pretty damn wierd to comment on it's supposed softness though).

Kurotri

When you need to downgrade something for an audience to enjoy, you start to encounter problems. The problem lies not in modernizing something or not. The easiest aspect of the game to discuss, its visuals, already becomes problematic. It's a game that is firmly rooted in its time, aesthetically well put together. Simply modernizing it for the sake of it can automatically break its charm. Square enix just can't do this today
I'm willing to give it a chance nonetheless, I mean, we haven't even seen any footage
from it. In the case it sucks that bad the original isn't suddenly gonna disappear.

GymWolf

I'm only interested if they keep the supreme hack away from the project.

Just gimme the exact same fucking game with 2023 graphic.

Last edited:

Larxia

I'm only interested if they keep the supreme hack away from the project.

Just gimme the exact same fucking game with 2023 graphic.
If you really want the exact same game but prettier, isn't the Moguri mod on PC already enough for that?

It seems kind of a waste to make a remake if it's barely different from this.
Unless if by "2023 graphic" you also mean a free camera, getting rid of the pre rendered background with fixed cameras etc, but then it's not "the exact same fucking game" at all anymore, all the exploration would have to be redesigned.

GymWolf

If you really want the exact same game but prettier, isn't the Moguri mod on PC already enough for that?

It seems kind of a waste to make a remake if it's barely different from this.
Unless if by "2023 graphic" you also mean a free camera, getting rid of the pre rendered background with fixed cameras etc, but then it's not "the exact same fucking game" at all anymore, all the exploration would have to be redesigned.

I don't wanna risk another ff7repuke, that's all.

I’m assuming it meant that the game won’t be a super high budget remake that ends up being a totally different experience.

Also: have you even played the PSP version of CC and/or the remaster?

There was A LOT of effort put into the Remaster. For one, the gameplay is so improved it isn’t even funny. The original PSP game was a boring slog, while the remaster was actually really fun to the point where I completed like 70% of the side missions. Graphics also received a total overhaul. Summons received new CG cinematics. All the voices were re-recorded.

It had a lot of effort put into it.
Yes, I've played the original on PSP and still own it. I don't agree that the original was a "boring slog", I still really enjoyed this game even back then. I do think the remaster is an improvement in various ways, but I can see how you would feel like it's more of an improvement than I do if you didn't like the original. There are a lot of QOL changes to the new version that are pretty definitive. I can see your perspective now and it's not a bad one.

Reaseru

How about if they went with Bravely Default II artstyle, or something within that style? (Of course with updated graphics)

BD-II.jpg

Zheph

based on the art style i think 9 is way cheaper to remake then 8 would ever be.
I have to agree with that also, 8 would need a treatment like VIIR (I have dreams of Balamb Garden looking absolutely stunning) but despite being my favourite it is way less popular than 7 and 9

Lokaum D+

I have to agree with that also, 8 would need a treatment like VIIR (I have dreams of Balamb Garden looking absolutely stunning) but despite being my favourite it is way less popular than 7 and 9
agree and after playing FF16 i would never accept Balamb VS Galbadia beeing a CGI cutscene, imagine being in control of the "school" avoiding misseles and all the shit going on real time, the size and scale that would be needed to make a open world map where for sometime u control a gigantic school would be massive.

Last edited:

Zheph

agree and after playing FF16 i would never accept Balamb VS Galbadia beeing a CGI cutscene, imagine being in control of the "school" avoiding misseles and all the shit going on real time, the size and scale that would be needed to make a open world map where for sometime u control a giagantic school would be massive.
don't start me man :messenger_loudly_crying:

Spyxos

Gold Member

"I haven't talked about FF9 in weeks, but these rumors keep bouncing back and forth between blogs and Twitter and YouTube as if I've said something new or different. I just said it's definitely real, which of course it is."
So in short, that new reddit post that was linked in the article was really just referring to Jeff Grubbs statement from a while ago and was misinterpreted as something new

Last edited:
I'm willing to give it a chance nonetheless, I mean, we haven't even seen any footage
from it. In the case it sucks that bad the original isn't suddenly gonna disappear.
I love the original and i'm very excited all this years of rumors of a remake. Probably is gonna be terrible but WE CAN DREAM hahaha. The problem I see is to play only/first the remake, cause you need modernized stuff or you cannot finished the original. Tiktok times

hyperbertha

Nomura never even worked on FF IX, why are you even saying this? It really seems like people like to shit on Nomura for no reason, proof is the people who recently said FF XVI was confusing because of Nomura :messenger_sleeping:.
He was a core member of FF VII development, it made sense for him to be there for VII Remake.

Anyway, it sounds like missed potential if you make a remake only to keep it turn based in the end, weird choice if they do. Unless it's a really improved "turn based" ATB system, like how XIII changed it for example, but if it's generic regular turn based... no thanks.
Why is it missed potential? Are you one of those that unironically larp about how turn based is oUtDAteD?

Fabieter

I wonder if it manages to sell more than 16 with all those people boycotting action final fantasy. I hope all of you show sqaure enix there is a market for it. This probably will be your only chance.

Top Bottom