• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: First Screens From Telltale's Game of Thrones

Zomba13

I dunno why but I kinda expected it'd be a "The Walking Dead" kinda thing and not involve characters from the show or book. Like, focus on another group in Westeros and how the goings on affects them.

Seeing them move away from a more stylized look makes me wonder how long Telltale will work on each of the six(?) GoT episodes before they release? A month? Two? ..more?
Will the gameplay be just as awful as The Walking Dead games?

Probably better than the previous Game of Thrones games. (Though to be fair I've never played them.)

I dunno why but I kinda expected it'd be a "The Walking Dead" kinda thing and not involve characters from the show or book. Like, focus on another group in Westeros and how the goings on affects them.
Walking Dead had cameos from the television show, so it's not really that surprising to see GoT follow suit.

It's probably to draw in the audience from the show more than anything.

PFD

1416162920-5.jpg

I've watched every episode of this show, and have no idea who this is supposed to be.

Is that Ramsay on the left? Or it could be new characters

Gurish

I'm gonna confirm this rumor right now. Who else is making polygonal Game of Thrones people. If this is your big hoax, you have took much time, talent, and too little vision.
Yea chances this being fake are very slim, game is about to be revealed soon, obviously some screens leaked.

andreyblade

Neo Member
Well it seems that while the new characters made by Telltale look good, the ones that have to be modeled after the TV actors aren't that great. Maybe it's just because the visuals aren't that great at delivering a likeness

I'm extremely disappointed they opted to go through book characters and events instead of creating their own characters and setting it in a timeline in the past from the current events.

Alpende

I played the first season of TWD and I can't see myself playing 2 more games like that. I thought it was fun once but it wasn't that much of a game to me. Wouldn't play any other game like it.

nded

I think the slightly caricatured, cartoony style is a good approach, especially when dealing with faces that belong to real actors. Not Even CoD money could pull off a convincing virtual Kevin Spacey in a realistic style.

Speevy

Banned
1416162920-7.jpg

I hope Jaime Lannister has this sad puppy dog expression in every scene. That's the only way I'm getting it.

rjc571

Banned
1416162920-5.jpg

This is supposed to be Ramsey? This is what he actually looks like.
HIT7BMx.jpg

Even EA did a better job than this of capturing real life actors' likenesses on the friggin' PS2
Tt5E0fX.jpg

Elios83

Ummm not sure how this is gonna work.
Game of Thrones has a clear and detailed plot which fans will obviously want to be faithfully reproduced, I don't know how it's going to work with their gameplay based on the player's choices.
Also Telltale is really reaching the milking limit of their formula...they're also supporting far more platforms than they can actually deal with and because of that games are full of bugs and technical issues....all that just for money.
Honestly I expect things to go downhill for them if they continue down this path.

Well, you can't expect photorealism when they're making the game on such a short turnaround. For what it's worth, I think the style is completely inoffensive. If it means they can get the episodes out faster then I'm for it.

Edit: No way that's Ramsay.

JayEH

Don't know why I didn't realize this until now (especially given the title of the game) but I'm disappointed that they're basing this off the show and not the books. The show is going in a direction I don't like. Didn't even watch this last season.

I think the style looks great. It's a style people, they're not aiming for hardcore realism, it's TellTale not Call of Duty.

But add me to the group that's worried/disappointed that they're using show canon, hope it doesn't matter much here though.

Speevy

Banned
Don't know why I didn't realize this until now (especially given the title of the game) but I'm disappointed that they're basing this off the show and not the books. The show is going in a direction I don't like. Didn't even watch this last season.

They're definitely going in a different direction, but many of the big events of the last season occurred in the books. You missed some good stuff.

The art style isn't the problem, the problem is you can't even tell who most of the characters are supposed to be!

Yeah you can. Cersei looks like Cersei, Tyrion looks like Tyrion, Not Ramsay doesn't look like Ramsay... If you can't recognize a character it's probably because they haven't been introduced yet.

MayMay

Banned
Looks like very early screenshots,

1416162920-3.jpg

That guard is standing right in the pillar. No way this is from a near-final build. that looks bad even for telltale standards

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I doubt that the Bolton bastard is the dude in that image. The screens aren't pretty, but the Lannisters and Marg are immediately identifiable. Outside of those four they might all be new characters. Anyways, I was kinda hoping they'd avoid shoe horning major characters into the game, seems kinda forced when the plot is about a fairly small house in the North.

Oh well, it's Game of Thrones. On board either way.

Man, this looks bad.
I quite liked TWAU's art and thought TWD's worked well, but looking at these renditions of real actors I've watched for so many hours is just too awkward. This really isn't doing it for me, first time I'm genuinely bothered by the uncanny valley effect.

Looks good to me. They've always been marketing this as a show tie-in, so it makes sense for them to use actor licences and have a few sequences involving established characters.

However, I doubt they went far enough to get voice work from the main cast as well. Which will be odd, as it would then be a likeness of an actor that doesn't sound like them.

Not bad considering it's Telltale. But the actors from the show aren't doing the voices, right? That's going to make it very odd to play.

Top Bottom