• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: First Screens From Telltale's Game of Thrones

Looks like very early screenshots,

1416162920-3.jpg

That guard is standing right in the pillar. No way this is from a near-final build. that looks bad even for telltale standards

What? Not it's not. It's clearly behind the pillar.

eot

Banned
I don't hold out any hope that this will turn out well, but I was hoping they'd set it during a period during (or place in) which they'd have more freedom. I guess it'll be non-cannon anyway.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome style, this game would look good for years to come, as opposed to anything Telltale would have been able to do with "photorealistic" style.

Hope it's real.

I don't hold out any hope that this will turn out well, but I was hoping they'd set it during a period during (or place in) which they'd have more freedom.

yep this. Unlike the Walking Dead where there's a whole country to play with, the novels already deal with the big players of the universe. And since they're showing us these characters it probably means we'll be dealing with the top dogs too.

jem0208

So this is more based on the TV series since they're using the likeness of the actors there? Is it going to be a new side story or something that was not covered in the show, but in the books?
Even if the story is based off of uh books it's probably best to base the models off of their TV counterparts. Helps make them recognizable.

This does beg the question whether of not they are using the tv show actors as voice actors. It'll be awkward if they don't.

Pepboy

I think it does but I don't know if they went far enough

It looks like it's straddling between realism and cartoon too far on the realism side.

Yeah, I agree. I can sort of see an "oil painting" or pastels style to it, especially the backgrounds, but in the end it just comes off as artefacts or bad compression.

Arkam

Why is this game using TV character models for book events?

People have seen the show and likely have those characters/actors burned into their memory. When I read the books I personally picture the characters from the show. I'm sure I'm not alone. I mean this ain't walking dead, the GOT is actually good when compared to the source material.

Count me excited!

I'm guessing all these show characters will actually just be cameos in game. They've just gotta get the show fans interested.

Yeah, that sounds right. Even though the show is no where near as intricate as the books, it'll still be tricky to to shoehorn all these Forrester characters into the main plot without messing things up.

Then again, the Forresters haven't even been developed yet in the books, so who knows.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's painted concept art. These don't look like computer graphics to me.

Sami+

Jesus, that looks awful. I was hoping they'd double down on the cel-shading comic book style with the new generation, not go for PS2-era realism.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Even if the story is based off of uh books it's probably best to base the models off of their TV counterparts. Helps make them recognizable.

This does beg the question whether of not they are using the tv show actors as voice actors. It'll be awkward if they don't.
It's set in the TV show universe.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
How do you draw somebody clipping through a pillar? Are they already projecting what's going to happen in the sketches?

I don't know but look at this:-

1416162920-4.jpg

Look at her cloths. They look like they've been painted on. No polygons or anything like it. I can't detect any hint of aliasing either. Something is not right with these shots.

These are drawn or a mixture of computer generated and drawn.

jblank83

1416162920-4.jpg

Look at her cloths. They look like they've been painted on. No polygons or anything like it. I can't detect any hint of aliasing either. Something is not right with these shots.

It looks like a painting or a comic book. It's a nice visual style.

1416162920-4.jpg

Look at her ear, the polygons are more clear there, at least I think so. But I understand what you're talking about.

nded

I was hoping for a less cartoonic aesthetic

Telltale tried a more realistic style with their Jurassic Park series and it did not look good. Part of Telltale's art style is them working around their tech and budget limitations. I really wish they would invest in better facial animation since I think that would make the other stuff easier to ignore.

Look at her profile. Obvious artist smudging. Not clean lines. These are not computer generated.

That could also be heavy image compression at work. The soldiers in the background do look like 2D cutouts though.

Jawmuncher

Did they say it would have the cast actually VA the game?
Im assuming they're keeping the main cast in it as barely as possible to save money if they are in.

cyberheater

Look at the beautiful soft shadows on this:-

1416162920-5.jpg

This is not generated in real time by a graphics card. This has been drawn by a artist.

orava

The distinct visual style, models etc. look really good. I just wish that they would improve the animation. It's really clunky and distracting in telltale games.

Top Bottom