• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(RUMOR) Hulk to Appear in Thor: Ragnarök

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

thor-ragnarok-logo-new.jpg
avengers-hulk-punch-thor-1430497153.gif

Given JoBlo's pretty good track record when it comes to MCU scoops, this is something to consider.
Fans of Thor, Hulk, and “otherworldly” adventures, get ready to be happy.

The last time we saw ol' Bruce Banner/Hulk, he was flying off into the sunset in a Quinjet, which supposedly crashed in the ocean somewhere with no sign of the man or beast to be seen. This left a big question mark as to when or where the Hulk would reappear in the MCU prior to the obvious inclusion in THE AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR films. Well, wonder no more, my friends.

Hot on the heels of NYCC, we’ve gotten word from our inside sources that THOR: RAGNAROK will see Chris Hemsworth’s Thor team up with none other than Mark Ruffalo’s HULK for the Odinson's third solo film, which finds the God of Thunder facing what amounts to the Norse Apocalypse. Only this time out he'll have some help from a fellow Avenger.

Mark Ruffalo joins Tom Hiddleston (also confirmed by our sources) and Jaimie Alexander in RAGNAROK, which we’ve also heard will involve a “distant planet” that is "not Asgard and not Earth." What does that mean? Certainly the theory will be made that this is where Marvel will work in the long-rumored Planet Hulk storyline, and although we can’t completely verify that, we can’t completely deny it either. I’ll leave it to you on how you want to place your bets, but I know where my money is going. Regardless, Ruffalo is on board. As to how much time he’ll spend as Hulk vs. Banner, we can’t say, only that he’s absolutely part of the supporting cast and will feature prominently.

If you think about it, this makes perfect sense and is a smart move on Marvel’s part. It also follows the trend of folding more characters into these “solo” films, making them more of an ensemble. After the success of CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER and the recent announcement of ANT-MAN AND THE WASP, not to mention the upcoming CIVIL WAR, it appears “ensemble” is the new “solo”. And, really, why wouldn’t it be? We’re long past the introduction of Nick Fury in the credits of IRON MAN. The MCU is established, so why not capitalize on it?

Given the amount of fun we’ve already had with both Thor and Hulk in THE AVENGERS, it feels like the perfect match up. Personally, I think it’s the smartest damn thing they could do with both characters, which have struggled to find footing in their solo expeditions. Also, who could forget their first onscreen team-up in 1988 for the TV movie The Incredible Hulk Returns?

Ah, we've come a long way, no? Anyway, who else would you team Thor up with for a mythological venture in space? Captain America? Iron Man? Hawkeye? You need someone that can survive the harsher elements to traverse time and space without space suits, software, hardware, and, well, oxygen. Granted, it’s just fantasy, but it still needs to be somewhat sensible, even for a gamma-infected monster and a mythological god.

Although director James Gunn has denied the whole Planet Hulk thing being a part of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2 (calling it “…complete bullshit” in fact), that doesn’t leave out the possibility of a post-credits sequence that teases the green goliath on a “distant planet”, which would make sense seeing as THOR: RAGNAROK is the next in line after GUARDIANS 2. Seems like the perfect set up to me, while leaving Gunn to carry on his Guardians story without interference, which I think we can all agree would be best. Guess we'll have to wait and see on that. Either way, the Hulk will be back, thankfully sooner than later.

THOR: RAGNAROK, directed by Taika Waititi and starring Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Mark Ruffalo, and Jaimie Alexander is slated to hit theaters on November 3, 2017.

Source: JoBlo

UPDATE: Deadline is also backing up the rumor, saying that Mark Ruffalo is about to seal the deal with Marvel Studios.
Marvel Studios is near a deal with Mark Ruffalo to bring his Hulk character to Thor: Ragnarok, the third installment of the series that stars Chris Hemsworth as the hammer-wielding Norse god. The film will be directed by Taika Waititi, the New Zealand-born filmmaker whose credits include the indie Eagle Vs Shark and last year’s Sundance vampire mockumentary What We Do In The Shadows. Thor: The Dark WorldDisney has set a November 3, 2017, release date for Thor 3.

Rumors of Ruffalo’s involvement are tearing up the geek sites, and it’s indeed happening. What I’m wondering is this: Of all the iterations of movies with the burly green guy, Ruffalo’s has been by far the best. So when is he going to get his own movie?

It's possible that Ruffalo just doesn’t have time to do more than shred shirts and pants in Avengers installments, as he spends most of it starring in awards-season films. His sensibilities are more toward indie fare than tentpole. Coming off a strong turn in Begin Again and into a heartbreaking performance as wrestler Dave Schultz in Foxcatcher, Ruffalo is at the center of the strong ensemble cast of Spotlight, the Tom McCarthy-directed film about the Boston Globe Spotlight team’s reporting that exposed the cover-up of pedophile priests by the Catholic Church in Boston. Open Road world-premiered the film to rousing response at the Venice Film Festival and releases the pic November 6.

Alan Taylor directed the most recent God of Thunder pic, Thor: The Dark World, which Disney released in November 2013 to a worldwide gross of $644.8M. That came after Thor, directed by Kenneth Branagh, kicked things off in summer 2011, making $449.3M. Marvel has been masterful about cross-pollinating these franchises with its stable of stars, and Ruffalo’s presence could bring green to this sequel.

Ruffalo’s repped by UTA and Brillstein Entertainment Partners.

UPDATE 2: Now Variety is backing up the rumor.
Mark Ruffalo is in final negotiations to appear as Bruce Banner, aka the Incredible Hulk, opposite Chris Hemsworth’s Thor in Marvel’s “Thor: Ragnarok,” sources have confirmed.

Taika Waititi was recently tapped to direct the film which will start production in 2016.

Tom Hiddleston and Jaimie Alexander will also be back to star as Loki and Lady Sif, respectively.

The script for “Thor: Ragnarok” was written by Christopher Yost and Craig Kyle. Yost was a co-writer on “Thor: The Dark World.”

Plot details remain vague, other than that the film will take place somewhere other than Earth and Asgard. This will mark the first time Ruffalo will appear as the Hulk in a film that isn’t an “Avengers” pic. It is currently unknown how the Hulk will play into the storyline of the upcoming Thor movie.

Edward Norton starred in the last standalone “Hulk” film, but was replaced by Ruffalo before the first “Avengers” film began production.

Kevin Feige is producing. “Thor: Ragnarok” hits theaters on Nov. 3, 2017.

Ruffalo can be seen next in Open Road’s “Spotlight” followed by the sequel “Now You See Me 2.” He is repped by UTA, Brillstein Entertainment and Keith A. Klevan Attorney at Law.

The news was first reported by JoBlo.

This would be interesting. I really thought they were done with the hulk for a few years until they figured out what to do with him, since really, his plots in The Avengers have mostly been in a supporting role.

That would be really smart because Thor has by far the biggest stigma against it out of any of the Marvel films, and after the Avengers Hulk can most definitely get asses in seats. I think that it wouldn't make any sense from a character perspective, but I'm sure they can asspull something.

How accurate was JoBlo's last MCU scoop thing? I can't remember.

Anyway, I hope not. I'd rather see only Thor and no other Avengers. They must not have faith in the character if they do this.

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong. I dunno. All I know is I'm a little wary about it.

I think I like this new trend of multiple heroes in a single movie, it means you can have characters continue to appear regularly without having to create yet another solo movie franchise for them, and in turn making the frequency the films release in less bloated.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Every single thing that JoBlo said about Avengers 2 turned out to be true. Every single thing they said about Civil War turned out to be true. Months ago, they said that the Doctor Strange villains would be Baron Mordo and Dormammu. Now Chiwetel Ejiofor is Mordo, and Mads Mikkelsen is "A mystery villain".

I'm guessing that this will be true too. I'd trust them over Latino-Review, a thousand times over.

Hagi

It shouldn't be as hard as they make it seem to make a competent Thor movie. I hope this isn't true but I'm probably in the minority on that. Just give me Surtur and Thor fighting for existence.

dabig2

Awesome. I want to see both Hulk and Thor cut loose off of earth and away from all the other human characters. I don't want to see Jane and her band of merrymen. I don't want to see Black Widow debating whether to take the cucumber or not.

I just want to see the smash and bash.

I've been thinking ever since Incredible Hulk that a solo film just won't work. This would be fantastic if true.

As for this potentially being a spoiler, marketing will probably show everything involving Hulk anyway

I highly doubt that this is a spoiler. This is "kicker at the end of the first trailer" type stuff. Like, show a bunch of action shots, show Thor smashing some shit with the the hammer, then show a really big bad guy. Some lame line like "We're going to need some more muscle" fade to black. Then fade in on super close up of Hulk's eyes. Boom. Coming to theaters everywhere blah blah blah. Marvel Studios blah blah blah.

Akahige

directed by Taika Waititi
Oh shit that was confirmed?! I thought it was a rumor.

What We Do in the Shadows was good. It will be interesting to see if he brings any kind of much needed unique voice to the Thor films.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Here are some previous JoBlo rumors from past MCU films

AGE OF ULTRON:
There will be 3 different versions of Ultron throughout the movie. His original state is very rudimentary, but, as he does in the comics, Ultron is constantly upgrading. He is coated in Vibranium and spends the film seeking out more of the raw material to continue his "upgrades."

Black Widow’s costume update will feature not only the previously reported batons, but her suit is said to be more “TRON-style” in nature with blue lights and electricity around the suit. Her enemies will now receive electric shocks or a “widow’s sting” when she hits them, giving her more of a “superhero” edge amongst her super-powered counterparts.

ANT-MAN:

There will be two big fights between the hero and villain in ANT-MAN; one that takes place in a briefcase as it falls out of a helicopter where they're literally fighting around objects in the case; Lifesavers, keys, an iPhone, etc. and using said objects against one another. The final battle between both characters takes place in Scott Lang's daughters' room on the Thomas the Train set (as seen in the recent trailer). As the battle rages on, we'll see both characters enlarge certain objects while they're still shrunk, accidentally making a giant ant and, eventually, Thomas the Train, which crashes out of the bedroom, crushing a car on the street. Crazy stuff and obviously making full use of the shrinking and enlarging that goes hand-in-hand with ANT-MAN's powers.

Evangeline Lilly is playing Hope Van Dyne in the film, as we know, and our source indicates that she will indeed become The Wasp, but you will NOT see it happen in ANT-MAN.

CIVIL WAR :
The Falcon will, in fact, be getting a costume upgrade for CIVIL WAR, which will be a modified version of his WINTER SOLDIER suit, but with grey and red colors, as per his comic origins. Captain America will be carrying over a slightly modified version of his AGE OF ULTRON suit, and so far The Winter Soldier will look very much as he did before, long hair and all. The coolest costume news is for Crossbones. Many of us are dying to see ol' Brock Rumlow in his trademark get-up and that will indeed happen. He's described as "messier" and the skull imagery on the suit is described as "graffiti-esque." And yes, he does indeed wear the skull mask that covers his entire face, which is said to be a hybrid mask/helmet. Think Army of Two.

Comic fans have been wondering if we'll see Sam Wilson's famous telepathically-linked bird Redwing in the MCU for a while. Well, you will and you won't, depending on how you look at it. Redwing will be featured as The Falcon's helper/sidekick in CIVIL WAR, although there's one big difference; Redwing will be a robotic drone, obviously "linked" to him, but not quite telepathically. The "bird" will be red in color and will resemble a cooler, modified MCU-like "bird" drone.

Lastly, We know that Don Cheadle's War Machine will be back in action for Civil War and it looks like he'll be getting a serious armory upgrade as well. He'll be looking more tank-style in this film and will have a new dual weapon that acts as a shoulder cannon/gun that can also be detached and used as a kind of warhammer/baton.

Keep in minds these some of these reports (the Civil War stuff) were made WAY before set pictures happened.

DeathyBoy

Banned
This film NEEDS a scene where the villain makes Hulk bleed, and Hulk is all 'HULK LIVE IN WORLD OF CARDBOARD.' Then Hulk grabs the villain by the neck and snaps his neck. And everyone thinks Hulk is going to cry, but then Hulk kicks the villain into space and stares at the camera.

'HULK TAKE OUT THE TRASH.'

And the audience cries with joy.

It's JoBlo so I think we should all expect this to be true.

It makes perfect sense considering Marvel's troubles with getting a Rufallo Hulk solo off the ground, and the increasing trend we'll see of other characters getting major parts in various solo movies.

I'm all for this as long as we are also getting Beta Ray Bill in the movie...

farisr

potential spoilers in title threads is not my idea of fun. is there a way to keep the thread title vague so some of us can enjoy the surprises, assuming they're intended to be.

Unless he's a cameo (which this doesn't seem to indicate) I really doubt Hulk being in Thor's next movie is a spoiler. The first or probably 2nd trailer would show him.

A feature role like this is not something you keep hidden this day and age, they want to attract as many people as possible to come watch their movie. Heck, they even showed The Vision in Avengers 2 marketing materials, a character they hadn't introduced to the casual audience yet which should've been kept as a surprise. Hulk is a fan-favorite in the ensemble flicks.

Mariolee

I imagine they'd include Hulk in the marketing material so it wouldn't be much of a surprise.

Eh, thats not really fair to say at this point however since marketing hasn't shown him. This isn't like Thanos where he was already confirmed by the filmmakers themselves. We have no idea of the capacity he'll be in the movie, even if we think we do. I do agree that the Hulk should be edited out of the thread title.

Sadist

I'd actually consider watching a Thor movie in the theater if Ruffalo/Hulk appears in it. Going by the earlier JoBlo scoops I hope this turns out true as well.

Curious if this is also going to be the first movie where Thanos actually fights someone. Would be pretty perfect for his first opponents to be Thor and Hulk.

Neoxon

I was predicting a Guardian but yeah makes sense. They need something to get this particular franchise going.
Given that James Gunn is pretty strict about what characters are in his movies, it makes sense that they'd put Hulk in Thor 3.

MartyStu

This film NEEDS a scene where the villain makes Hulk bleed, and Hulk is all 'HULK LIVE IN WORLD OF CARDBOARD.' Then Hulk grabs the villain by the neck and snaps his neck. And everyone thinks Hulk is going to cry, but then Hulk kicks the villain into space and stares at the camera.

'HULK TAKE OUT THE TRASH.'

And the audience cries with joy.

Not going to lie: I am a little bit aroused.

Drayco21

Really hope not, and we don't see him again until Infinity War. Would rather them focus on trying to actually make a good Thor movie instead of shoehorning the most boring Avenger in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom