• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(RUMOR) Hulk to Appear in Thor: Ragnarök

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hagi

Curious if this is also going to be the first movie where Thanos actually fights someone. Would be pretty perfect for his first opponents to be Thor and Hulk.

I mean if they should be fighting anyone it should be Surtur but that certainly is one way to upstage the main villain

Really hope not, and we don't see him again until Infinity War. Would rather them focus on trying to actually make a good Thor movie instead of shoehorning the most boring Avenger in.

+1

Mariolee

What if it's like the animated movie where somehow Loki mind controls banner into the hilk?

Wouldn't that be pretty much the same as the first Avengers where the scepter influences Banner and eventually he turns into the Hulk? Or the second Avengers where Scarlett Witch influences Banner and eventually he turns into the Hulk? Ot feels like pretty well tread territory already.

Drayco21

We now have a world where War Machine, Falcon, Black Widow, and Hawkeye are all technically Avengers. You are ludicrous sir.

And I'd take any one of them over the awful, one-note MCU version of the Hulk. Falcon is charismatic as hell, and Hawkeye is one of the greatest Avengers of all time.

Dalek

I hope this isn't true. I'd rather him be in a future Avengers movie or his own movie. There's still so much we haven't had properly on screen in regards to Thor and Asgard, I'd rather not have Hulk show up and crowbarred into the story. Unless it's loki just doing another change...

Hawkeye is one of the greatest Avengers of all time.

If writer's have to specifically include lines acknowledging how shit he is, I don't think that's quite the case. I don't really see how the MCU version of the Hulk is one-note, unless you want people-eating murderous Ultimate Hulk. Which... why would you?

Tobor

Really hope not, and we don't see him again until Infinity War. Would rather them focus on trying to actually make a good Thor movie instead of shoehorning the most boring Avenger in.

What color is the sky in your world?

RuffaHulk is fantastic and needs more screen time. I'll take him in any movie.

Drayco21

If writer's have to specifically include lines acknowledging how shit he is, I don't think that's quite the case. I don't really see how the MCU version of the Hulk is one-note, unless you want people-eating murderous Ultimate Hulk. Which... why would you?

They didn't have to do that, but Age of Ultron's script was pretty mediocre regardless. There's a reason he's one of the core members of the team, and has been for decades.

And there's plenty of ways to give Hulk characterization without making him a barely speaking gorilla for the sake of another puny god joke like all of his MCU appearances post TIH. I would love it if he was more like the EMH version of the character.

Tobor

not really. up until now there hasn't been a major mcu character appearing in an important role in another's solo film - that changes with cap3. the only time they've appeared together's in avengers films.

Black Widow was an important role in Iron Man 2 and Winter Soldier.

Now you're going to say she isn't a "major" character. She is.

The last two Thor movies were pretty boring, so they need something to peak interest. My interest is peaked. I would have preferred Hercules though!

not really. up until now there hasn't been a major mcu character appearing in an important role in another's solo film - that changes with cap3. the only time they've appeared together's in avengers films.

Well I meant the whole point of the MCU is interconnectivity, crossovers in most films seems the logical extension of that.

They didn't have to do that, but Age of Ultron's script was pretty mediocre regardless. There's a reason he's one of the core members of the team, and has been for decades.

And there's plenty of ways to give Hulk characterization without making him a barely speaking gorilla for the sake of another puny god joke like all of his MCU appearances post TIH. I would love it if he was more like the EMH version of the character.

Yeah, but MCU Hawkeye isn't the Clint we all know and love. And MCU Hawkeye is kind of boring so far.

Black Widow was an important role in Iron Man 2 and Winter Soldier.

Now you're going to say she isn't a "major" character. She is.
you can argue that she isn't, since she does not have her own films like iron man, cap, hulk, and thor do. she was introduced as a supporting character in an iron man film.

cap3 will be the first time a major marvel character will appear in a film in which he doesn't belong (another's solo film) and I wondered if that was gonna be an exception but if this rumor proves to be true, perhaps they are going to do it from here on out.
Well I meant the whole point of the MCU is interconnectivity, crossovers in most films seems the logical extension of that.
the shared universe is the point of the mcu, yeah, but I thought throughout phase 2 that they were going to keep the solo films solo. it doesn't really bother me either way, i'm just guessing they're going to have major characters cross now in the films that are meant to be solo superhero stories.

Makonero

The Winter Soldier was pretty much Cap + Black Widow as co-leads.

SpaceWolf

Banned
uD7hYXs.png

I really like Mark Ruffalo though, so hopefully the character's intergration drag me back into the cinema after Dark World. I love the MCU...but the Thor films are definitely the weak link in that series.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This film NEEDS a scene where the villain makes Hulk bleed, and Hulk is all 'HULK LIVE IN WORLD OF CARDBOARD.' Then Hulk grabs the villain by the neck and snaps his neck. And everyone thinks Hulk is going to cry, but then Hulk kicks the villain into space and stares at the camera.

'HULK TAKE OUT THE TRASH.'

And the audience cries with joy.
1Kd4TBP.gif

I believe it. Ruffalo still has a lot of movies left on his contract, and Marvel isn't willing to make a Hulk solo film yet because Universal still has distribution rights

They clearly WANT to use the Hulk more, but seem limited by when and where. Thor 3 seems like as good a place as anywhere

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
It's already better than Dark World. Universal absolutely trolled.
not really

I hope Thor 3 gives Sif a much larger and important role. Not relegated to TV

I sure hope so.

I mean, it's not like a villain can be a credible threat to Thor AND end up in a serious fight with any of the other avengers non-hulk avengers. Well, maybe Vision.

Makonero

she was important in IM2 (where she was introduced) as well. but she hasn't had her own films.

First off, she was barely in Iron Man 2, certainly not to the extent she is in The Winter Soldier. Secondly, she's a full-fledged Avenger regardless of whether she has a movie or not. You are objectively wrong.

Hagi

I sure hope so.

I mean, it's not like a villain can be a credible threat to Thor AND end up in a serious fight with any of the other avengers non-hulk avengers. Well, maybe Vision.

Surtur should be above just being a credible threat to Hulk but villains in these movies are half baked as fuck so I'm not expecting much.

First off, she was barely in Iron Man 2, certainly not to the extent she is in The Winter Soldier.
iirc she had a pretty substantial supporting role. maybe not as big of a role as in cap2 but she was an important character there.
Secondly, she's a full-fledged Avenger regardless of whether she has a movie or not.
she is an avenger, I wasn't disputing that. but that doesn't mean she's as important as every other avenger character.
You are objectively wrong.
well, you're not convincing me, so no, i am not wrong.

in my opinion, if they figured she was as important as the other major characters, then they'd see it fit to give her her own film series or television series instead of having her stories told as part of another's solo superhero's

FyreWulff

FYI, the only way Disney/Marvel can put Hulk in movies is if he's put in someone else's movie. Solo film rights are owned by Universal so any solo Hulk movie means Disney splitting money with Universal.

LiK

potential spoilers in title threads is not my idea of fun. is there a way to keep the thread title vague so some of us can enjoy the surprises, assuming they're intended to be.

he'll be in the trailers anyway. doubt they would keep this a secret.

FYI, the only way Disney/Marvel can put Hulk in movies is if he's put in someone else's movie. Solo film rights are owned by Universal so any solo Hulk movie means Disney splitting money with Universal.
really? i don't know how reliable this is but i thought according to it, disney acquired all the rights of the hulk character back

marvel-rights-3-1200x960.png

really? i don't know how reliable this is but i thought according to it, disney acquired all the rights of the hulk character back

marvel-rights-3-1200x960.png

The official word from Marvel is that Universal gets first distribution rights for a Hulk solo movie. Since Disney would never be cool with that, Hulk is doomed to appear in movies that don't have Hulk in the title.

That image isn't official or anything...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2f5-WHCPPlA/VNth3jxXsuI/AAAAAAAAyUM/WhTw9G5hSGU/s1600/marvel-rights-3-1200x960.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Hulk rights are weirder than like, X-Men rights. Disney right now can make a solo Hulk film since they have the rights to use his character, but Universal has retained [i]distribution[/i] rights for any solo movie of his. That means Universal has right of first refusal for distributing the film, meaning Disney would lose out on all that money (since why would Universal [i]not[/i] do it?)

The official word from Marvel is that Universal gets first distribution rights for a Hulk solo movie. Since Disney would never be cool with that, Hulk is doomed to appear in movies that don't have Hulk in the title.

That image isn't official or anything...
obviously not. that's why i said i don't know how reliable it is to go off of.

although, this ign article says disney would have to share distribution with universal and can proceed even if they say no.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/22/universalmarvel-hulk-sequel-rights-clarified

Hulk rights are weirder than like, X-Men rights. Disney right now can make a solo Hulk film since they have the rights to use his character, but Universal has retained distribution rights for any solo movie of his. That means Universal has right of first refusal for distributing the film, meaning Disney would lose out on all that money (since why would Universal not do it?)
it sounds a little similar to the deal with sony; in that they still have all the rights to spiderman (aside from sony not getting anything from disney using him) so disney going ahead and making a hulk film would mean losing money?

it sounds a little similar to the deal with sony; in that they still have all the rights to spiderman (aside from sony not getting anything from disney using him) so disney going ahead and making a hulk film would mean losing money?

Nah, the Sony situation is that Sony still has full rights to the character and movies and all that, but voluntarily brought in Marvel Studios/Disney as a collaborator. Disney didn't get any rights back in that case. Even though the new Spidey film will be in the MCU, it's still being made, produced, and distributed by Sony

Universal, as far as I know, doesn't have the rights to Hulk as a character (as in, they can't make their own Hulk movie) but still have distribution rights on any Hulk solo films. So unless Disney buys those, which would be stupidly expensive, they either have to give up that distribution cash to Universal or just not make a movie. They're opting for the later

(For the record, this is why The Incredible Hulk is in a weird place. It's part of the MCU, but not on Disney Movies Anywhere and is still distributed by Universal to this day. So if you buy TIH on home video, Universal gets the cash. Same situation with A New Hope and Fox, funnily enough)

guek

Banned
obviously not. that's why i said i don't know how reliable it is to go off of.

although, this ign article says disney would have to share distribution with universal and can proceed even if they say no.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/22/universalmarvel-hulk-sequel-rights-clarified

It's not that Disney would lose money, it's that they'd have to share profits due to Universal having first claim at distribution. From a pure profit perspective, it doesn't make much sense for Disney to make a stand alone Hulk film when they would get a greater return investing in a project they can both produce and distribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom