• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Joker origin movie will feature a young, bullied Joker with a permanent smile

Defuser

Why can't these fuckers just be normal people?

Is it so hard to have him fell into a bath of acid and become joker? Whats with all these overcomplicated unnecessary nonsense?

giphy.gif

Ogodei

I like his stitched-together origin story from The Dark Knight, like there were grains of truth in the lie-origins he told. He was a victim of childhood abuse which strained his psyche, as an adult he gambles and gets his face carved up by mob sharks, which causes his wife to leave him, and his fragile psyche crumbles.

Or you can go more classic, a guy with a lot of gambling debt turns to petty crime as the Red Hood until a bad run-in at a chemical plant.

I'd almost argue that the best way to portray Joker is one who uses his insanity as a facade. That deep down he's just an ugly sociopath who wears psychopathy like a cloak to make him seem more dangerous than he is, and to attract people like Harley to him.

Yayate

'Being bullied turns you into a nasty psychopath' is not exactly the best message to send out regarding bullying.

theWB27

So this joker...Leto's joker and Harley Quinn joker.... which ones are the same or are they all different takes?

"It's super dark and real."

Very rarely are these good words to hear about a movie. More often than not, it just means they are going to try and be edgy just so they can say they are being edgy, instead of it actually making the movie better.

So this joker...Leto's joker and Harley Quinn joker.... which ones are the same or are they all different takes?

Leto is the DCEU Joker, so same as the Harley Quinn Joker and all.

This one is a separate thing. It's unclear if Batman or other Gotham characters will show up, much less other DC characters.

Only two Jokers, although Lauren Cohan might be Flashpoint Joker. That's technically part of DCEU.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Jared Leto will be mailing used condoms and dead animals to the child actors to help them get into the mindset of the character.

It must be a madhouse over there at WB, they should film a week there and release it as an Arkham film

Imagine a documentary like the Episode 1 documentary "The Beginning", but about WB trying to get the DCEU going over the last few years. It would be incredibly fascinating.

Fat4all

Banned
Leto is the DCEU Joker, so same as the Harley Quinn Joker and all.

This one is a separate thing. It's unclear if Batman or other Gotham characters will show up, much less other DC characters.

Only two Jokers, although Lauren Cohan might be Flashpoint Joker. That's technically part of DCEU.

batman will show up at the end and the joker will say

"we're not so different, you and i"

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
It should really be about a kid born with a "DAMAGED" tattoo on his face, that would be way more traumatic than smiling all the time.

Apathy

Stop trying to give the joker such a detailed back story. He works best when he's an enigma to the audience and we know him for his actions as the joker not on who or what he was before

AlStrong

They greenlit Young Sheldon so who the hell knows.
Next week on Young Sheldon, an experiment takes a wrong turn that leaves Sheldon with a permanent smile leading to an intensely dark train of events culminating in the creation of The Joker, but is it all just in Sheldon's head or is it realer than real? Find out next week, same bad channel, same bad time.

batman will show up at the end and the joker will say

"we're not so different, you and i"

Actually, what's extra confusing is this dude says it's on the streets of Brooklyn. Maybe he doesn't know what he's talking about. Maybe the movie won't even be set in Gotham. Maybe it's more along the lines of a Secret Identity elsewords story.

And in that sense, Batman in our world would've been killed his first night out. Which explains why there's no Batman.

Gotta make him dark & gritty after all, he has to have some tragic backstory. Next they should take inspiration from All Star Batman & Robin, and not even have him smile while we're at it.

Yeah.

Scorsese will put his name on this.

Sure.

He's just an executive producer. As an executive producer Scorsese with a few projects that were less then stellar lets just say.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I swear to god the comics industry has some bizarre Dorian Grey shit going on.

The better the comics do, the worse the movies do, and vice versa. Just look at Marvel and DC right now, compared to their movie output...

You know having a permanent smile since childhood would really take away some mystique.

"Hey honey, Michael's on the news again! I guess Pearly Whites never got over that name, huh?"

Top Bottom