• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Konami has shut down their LA studio (ex KojiPro LA), ~35 jobs gone

People losing their jobs is bad but 'right before Christmas' on November 2nd is reaching a bit too far for the heartstrings

True, but the flipside is that it's harder to find a new job near the end of the year because of companies winding down for the holidays or the end of their budgetary year or both. Worst-case scenario, some of these people will be out of a job for two months at minimum (and some much longer, of course).

Kyzer

Banned
whaaaaaaa? Konami was an OG with tons of top-tier franchises before and after MG.

It's 2015 bro. What are you talking about, frogger and yugioh? Lol jk I'm just being a smartass but seriously there's PES and that's it? Castlevania has been dead since the reboot and Silent Hill is obviously dead too

They're definitely OGs but that's kind of my point

Uhhh... hopefully not true (and I'm sure Konami PR will say as much).

MGO would basically be dead, they haven't even pushed the first big patch yet, and MGO PC would be SUPER dead.

Can't wait to sue Konami when we don't get MGO on PC

NastyBook

Saw it coming a mile away. Hopefully the changes KojiPro La are getting ready to implement keep the game as balanced as possible, because we probably won't be seeing anymore after that.

GG no re, Konami.

I work just up the street from this place, I go to the local game dev drink ups, its almost time for this months. At last months I saw a number of KojiPro LA people and they didn't seem to be worried about their jobs. At least not as openly as the Cloud Imperium people anyhow.

Does George Broussard have some secret Konami connections or something?

George Broussard runs a forum that is basically the super insidery game dev forum. So if he knows anything that's how he knows it.

_woLf

Konami is a literal fucking dumpster fire.

I still can't believe all the shit they've done. Completely unprecedented.

work-vacation-policy-pop_3122.jpg

LiK

this was so obvious that i don't even consider it surprising. we all know they were hiring new people for next MGS and Kojima is gone so many staffers are probably gonna follow him.

Wow, I feel terrible for all the KojiPro LA workers, and I hope they land on their feet.

But, what a fucking scummy move, Konami. This was a studio that had been set-up for about 2 years, specifically for MGO. The employees didn't take a vacation just to push the game out on time! I sincerely hope Konami crashes and burns for what they do to their employees, less so than what they did to their golden goose. I thought EA was bad with its crunch situations, but the reports from Konami portray the company as sadistic. I've never wanted a company to fail as badly as I do Konami.

"Just before Christmas" Eh, trying a bit much there.

If you are a game dev and you lose your job and you don't have a new job before the start of September you probably won't have a new job until after the start of January. At least not in the console industry, there's only like 6 work weeks left for most large console studios.

Mr. Tibbs

Who is this guy?

Industry veteran who's worked with loads of teams and publishers (Remedy, Rockstar, Take Two, etc...), and runs a developer-only forum (Game Illuminati). He knows what's up. He's broken this kind of news a bunch of times in the past.

God Konami fucking blows now.

It's just a name, friend.

Konami is no more alive than hudson, toaplan, tecnosoft, wolfteam, irem, data east, working designs, or any of the great companies that have been lost to time and budget.

It's just a shell, just using the name for another purpose. A dark purpose.

They can never take away the classics or the memories of them. In this case, it's better to dwell on the past. Have you played Gradius 5? Have you played Suikoden 2? Have you played Goemon 3 on SNES? Have you finished Hard Corps? Go play those games, and be happy.

Otnopolit

When do you guys think we'll hear word that confirms this for sure? Or will we just have to check Instagram for Holiday photos from the devs?

LiK

When do you guys think we'll hear word that confirms this for sure? Or will we just have to check Instagram for Holiday photos from the devs?

Konami doesn't even admit Kojima left. he's on "vacation". Fuck Konami and their lies.

Top Bottom