• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Konami has shut down their LA studio (ex KojiPro LA), ~35 jobs gone

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Brutal.

They just opened the place early last year, right?

epmode

I dunno, GAF, I know Konami's basically evil incarnate but I still didn't expect them to close the studio before the PC release of MGO.

I guess the writing was on the wall with that massive delay. At least now they don't have to come up with a real anti-cheat solution for PC!

Fuck Konami, BTW.

dmr87

That studio looked so impressive when Kojima visited a year ago.

http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=17018

looks expensive as hell considering its in LA too

Qj9b.jpg

End of an era.

It looks like a lot of KojiPro employees have already jump shipped to Infinity Ward, Respawn and Sony Santa Monica. The creative lead for MGS Online is now at Sony as of November 2015 according to his LinkedIn.

Edit: I also notice a theme of a lot of people leaving back in May. The lead programmer for KojiPro LA among them.

Edit: By my count the Lead Programmer, Senior Engine Programmer, Director of Technology, Creative Lead and Lead VFX Artist are all gone already that's a TON of key people to lose.

The thing is people should stop being shocked about this stuff.

What has happened is essentially no different than if some unrelated company like fucking, Dodge or Craftsman bought out Konami.

Everyone was fired, and their facilities will now be used to manufacture and distribute car parts. Also, we're going to sit on all the IP from this company and never use it again because we make cars and car parts.

So the expectation and shock that now the company going by the name "konami" is firing everyone and changing direction. But the company is fully and truly dead. It does not exist in the way you think of it. It is changed.

Xiraiya

Hmm, surely they wouldn't be cancelling MGO so close to coming out on PC, at least if we had it on PC it could be modded into being a functional online community without official support.

JayEH

It looks like a lot of KojiPro employees have already jump shipped to Infinity Ward, Respawn and Sony Santa Monica. The creative lead for MGS Online is now at Sony as of November 2015 according to his LinkedIn.

Edit: I also notice a theme of a lot of people leaving back in May. The lead programmer for KojiPro LA among them.

Edit: By my count the Lead Programmer, Senior Engine Programmer, Director of Technology, Creative Lead and Lead VFX Artist are all gone already that's a TON of key people to lose.

Glad to see they were getting out of there when they could.

Doctre81

Wow even before the PC version of MGO launched. Is it even coming out now? Hope they can find new jobs soon that sucks.

so is that why that new patch is so all-encompassing?

wonder if they mgo guys knew this last patch would be their sort of legacy of what mgo's 'balance' or 'quality' and made sure to try leave the game in as best state as possible

i was a bit surprised that the patch wasn't a bit more marginal and just tweak it again on dec1...see how it plays out. guess maybe this is why.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Just days after MGSV sold five million copies.

Konami won. Keep telling me they didn't. They are laughing to the bank and back.

Spaghetti

talk about a brain drain.

stick a fork in MGO, it's done. or at least, will only get worked on from japan.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I hope those laid off all find steady jobs elsewhere.

There's nothing to say about Konami itself that hasn't already been said, but as bad as they are now, never, ever forget their immense legacy, like GAF gold.

If this is true then LOL
But, ill wait for a confirmation.
MGO twitter hasn't posted since the 31st though so this is very possible.
LOOOOOOOL
WHAT ABOUT OUR NOVEMBER MGO PATCH????

JackelZXA

We got fiddled...

It's such a bummer. MGSV is so representative of how bad companies can completely ruin an amazing game. I can't believe how badly they've steered this ship. I can't wait to see what Kojima does where he ends up (hopefully sony, making big first party games for them with limitless budgets)

Bashtee

I would have looked for a new Job after they canceled Silent Hills. They burned their most valubale asset - Kojima - and didn't give a fuck. This isnt managment anymore, just a bunch of lunatics.

Honestly, as much as it isn't hard to believe that Konami would do this, but I'm finding this specific situation hard to believe. I mean, it seems as though MGSV is still getting supported, MGO is getting the patch, there's still the PC version of MGO.
I mean this could just be that some Konami LA people were laid off but the studio is still around (how many employees did it have?).

It just seems WAAAAAYYYY too soon.

And while the MGO twitter hasnt tweeted since halloween, Robert Peeler is still tweeting and answering MGO questions. And it still says on his page that he's the Konami LA community manager. Maybe im just in denial here.

I'm pretty sure Konami is going to say that nothing's wrong, and that "we love our employees." I don't really believe this rumor based on someone's twitter. Even if it is true, then Konami really needs to be transparent with people; just say what you did.

squadr0n

saw this coming as soon as Kojima was rumored to be let go. Sad too because alot of them were hired straight out of college.

deim0s

As if MGO has long legs. Hoping everyone in the studio landed better jobs elsewhere.

Got to find the time to play MGO, before they shut everything down.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Edit: What about MGO on PC?

Still Jan. 2016. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they shit 1.00 out the door and tell people to "DEALWITHIT.gif" in regards to overpowered infiltrators and hacking/no anti-cheat. A la F.O.B. on PC.

Like, ya this sucks...but just before Christmas? What? Lol...its two months away. Silly thing to say in that tweet

Holiday's are starting up. November run-up to Christmas is generally a heavy buying period for getting gifts for family/friends. So, no. The saying still applies.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sucks but shouldn't be too surprising after the last couple months.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
not surprised... consolidation was necessary. Nice studio too... probably will end up apart of Google's new Playa Vista complex.

Yeah, the office looked really nice from Kojima's twitter pictures of it last December. It's a shame that the office was only made and then quickly shut down to fuck over Kojima.

Top Bottom