• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Leaked art work suggest COD 2017 will be called ‘Call of Duty: WWII

If Treyarch is Black Ops & Sledgehammer historical CoD, then IW should make...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ik9dYsi.jpg

Evidence mounting.

Cool for them to go back.

That's honestly hilarious, living through the entire cycle of unrelenting hate for WW games and the 'brown' filter, to missing them and getting hyped they're coming back.

____

i'm probably one of the few who is not excited for this

Yea me either. I mean...I was tired of the futuristic approach. Infinite Warfare I knew I wouldn't like but bought anyway and played maybe 5 hours of campaign and hardly any multiplayer, game was soulless to me. BO3 was fun and played a bunch but still didn't have that BO/BO2 spark.

I know this is the logical move for Activision, but somehow I just dont think I want this either.

Maybe some different take on modern? Titanfall 2 spoiled me I guess lmao. I know it's a rumor and still not announced officially, but we know it's releasing in a few months and the series needed a different approach than futuristic again so it's likely true. Possible that closer to release I'll get hype but the (rumored) setting ain't moving me right now.

They made this in one year?

CoD studios are on three year dev cycles now. Sledgehammer's last game was Advanced Warfare, which was released in 2014. It kinda seems like Sledgehammer just decided to move away from the futuristic setting since the other two studios moved into that direction. It never made sense for every single studio to be doing something so similar.

Uhh can we stop with all these WWII shooter? There's so many other types of shooters yet no one tries any of them. I think a modern military shooter might be cool for example.

Eggbok

Call of Duty: WWII |OT| Ghosts of the Past
Call of Duty: WWII |OT| 1 Battlefield Returns
Call of Duty: WWII |OT| Scorpio

Hopefully with this being a WWII setting there won't be all that loot/ emote/ microtransaction crap.

Keasar

Well, it's made by Sledgehammer, so I am actually looking forward to this one. After Advanced Warfare they are hands down the best of the Call of Duty studios with their campaign.

I find it hard to believe that Sledgehammer, back in 2014, could see the hate for futuristic CODs coming and decided to do WW2 games. I wouldn't be surprised if they finalized the WW2 concept in like late 2015/16 or something

That was funny as hell lol.
Some people even made funny voice overs.

Russian Soldier: [during weapons training] These are potatoes, Comrade Commissar! Why are we using potatoes instead of real grenades?
Commissar Letlev: Because real grenades are valuable! In fact, they are worth a lot more than you are!
Russian Soldier: Of course, Comrade Commissar. My mistake.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Hopefully with this being a WWII setting there won't be all that loot/ emote/ microtransaction crap.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

It will have loot boxes coming out of its ass.

Call of Duty: WWII |OT| Ghosts of the Past
Call of Duty: WWII |OT| 1 Battlefield Returns
Call of Duty: WWII |OT| Scorpio

Call of Duty: WWII |OT| Back to taking out the Alt-Reich

~Kinggi~

Banned
I find it hard to believe that Sledgehammer, back in 2014, could see the hate for futuristic CODs coming and decided to do WW2 games. I wouldn't be surprised if they finalized the WW2 concept in like late 2015/16 or something

i dont know man those entertainment studios are eerie and creepy in how good they are at predictive culture shit.

a916

The game industry isn't as secretive as people think... they probably knew BF1 was happening and may have done so as a result. That said they also could've been like, ugh, we have 3 shooters and they are all futuristic, we need to differentiate the product.

RedSwirl

1) I thought the Advanced War campaign was good. Lots of variety, seemed to have a basic understanding of what made the Infinity Ward campaigns good.

2) Part of me wants to see at least a few WWII games with modern graphics.

3) God I hope they finally realize shit other than Normandy and Stalingrad happened.

I can't trust them. Their last chance with me was MW:R and keeping it true to the original. And lies.

Happy if everyone else is happy but I am just waiting for them to screw the fans again somehow

daTRUballin

Wow. It's pretty cool how we've come full circle. Although this wasn't really that surprising considering all the rumors floating around before this. Although I think it would've been a bit more interesting to get a WW1 game like previous rumors suggested, but oh well.

Then again, if it did turn out to be WW1, people would just claim they're copying Battlefield 1, so......

I personally know some people that will be thrilled by this news, and some people that won't be. :p

Icolin

Banned
Well, it's made by Sledgehammer, so I am actually looking forward to this one. After Advanced Warfare they are hands down the best of the Call of Duty studios with their campaign.

Agreed. At this moment, Sledgehammer definitely makes the best campaigns, Treyarch makes the best multiplayer, and Infinity Ward makes meh to good campaigns (IW's campaign was great, Jon Snow aside) and the shittiest multiplayer.

Vibranium

Banned
I hope they do a variety of different WWII campaigns, like Treyarch did in CoD3 (Canadian and Polish). I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty interested. Just something different from Normandy and Stalingrad would be nice.

Besides, Call of Duty '18 will probably be modern warfare again or something.

dugdug

Banned
No thanks. Loved Infinite Warfare, and, Battlefield 1 was boring as fuck. Get these old-ass weapons outta my face.

I'm assuming Activision saw that all there COD's were future based and ordered the change.

Chris1

I forgot how bad the past few CoD's have been with supply drops. Maybe I won't get this afterall.

The hate for futuristic came a few month after AW launched. Around this time in 2015 I believe

I don't think they knew the hate it would receive. But they would know that both Infinite Ward and Treyarch were also making futuristic CoD games. It's going to be hard for them to differentiate their game because of that. So an obvious option would be to just move away from that period.

Icolin

Banned
I hope they do a variety of different WWII campaigns, like Treyarch did in CoD3 (Canadians and Polish). I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty interested.

Yeah, I'd love a multiple viewpoint campaign like COD3. A standalone DLC campaign or two would be cool as well.

Top Bottom