• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Leaked art work suggest COD 2017 will be called ‘Call of Duty: WWII

If Treyarch is Black Ops & Sledgehammer historical CoD, then IW should make...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just some possible D-Day + X scenarios off the top of my head:

-6th British airborne division capture of the Pegasus bridge
-101st and 82nd airborne drop in the early morning of June 6th near St. Mere Eglise and their battles near Carentan to join up the Utah and Omaha beach landings.
-Omaha beach landing of course
-Pont Du Hoc U.S Ranger assault
-Battles within Normandy, Caen, Bayeux, Cherbourg, etc.
Call of Duty series already did these.

It'll be D-Day w/Americans, mainland France w/the British and Stalingrad w/Russians and you'll like it.

And it will be this.

AndyVirus

People were sick of WW2 shooters because that'll all that kept getting put out, now they're sick of modern shooters because it's all that's been getting put out. I'm all for the return of the historical shooter, personally.

Exactly. It's been 9 years since CoD did a WW2 game. If that's all CoD does for the next 5 iterations then, surprise, people will become tired of it again.

Icolin

Banned
Fantastic. This'll be the first COD I've purchased day one since MW2.

Yep. I've purchased and played every entry in the COD series thus far, but I haven't been this eager and excited for one since MW2. Current gen WW2 battles are gonna be bonanzas for all the right reasons.

JBwB

I remember back when people were getting sick and tired of WW2 FPS games haha.

I'm actually somewhat interested in this.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I remember back when people were getting sick and tired of WW2 FPS games haha.

I'm actually somewhat interested in this.
I remember being one of those people.
Actually i still don't care.

Infinite warfare sp campaign was mad.
Bf1 campaign was a snoozefest.

Please be good please be good

mortal

Gold Member
They've honestly somehow manage to run out of American centric wars to base their games in lol.

Scale that shit down, make the AI more threatening and intelligent to the point where 1v1 shoot outs are dangerous and require skill and good reflexes. Make the environments more interactive and destructible outside of scripted events.
Get better writers for those flat as fuck characters and corny and generic action sequences where so much flash is on the screen, but nothing of consequence that carries any real weight ever transpires.

I'd love to experience another perspective other than being an unstoppable all-American badass killing machine. Having the feel of real danger and vulnerability as a solider in a war would be amazing.

I would love to see them not just make the same game for the umpteenth time with a new shiny new coat of paint.

loll they are fucking OUT of ideas.

WW2 is the subtitle? lolllll

Maybe they can decrease the multiplayer tickrate to 5 or just replace the players with bots that insta-melt you instead and save on server costs.

Make it look amazing, and give it a decent length campaign... add some paratrooper sequences and maybe a Battle of Britain sequence, and I am all the way in.

Saving-Private-Ryan-quotes-1.gif

I didn't think we would have WWII games again after how much people whined about them. The way people complain about Sci-fi CODs is nothing in comparison; we just have better ways to show our disapproval.

i just don't get it from Acti's perspective either. It's not like sales of the series has diminished, CoD has been selling as good as ever, with Infinite Warfare still topping the charts. so monetarily wise, why?

jaaz

Call of Duty series already did these.

And it will be this.

So what if they did some of these already ? They are obviously going to re-do some of the famous WWII events. Omaha beach landing is on the cover, for example, so we know that one is in.

I don't care that they re-do events either. I want to play these with 2017 graphics.

Extraordinarily unhappy about this.

The one thing I wanted Call of Duty to do is never ever ever go back to WW II. This will be the first CoD I hard pass since I got into the series with Modern Warfare as Battlefield One was the first Battlefield game I hard passed since I got into the series with Bad Company 1.

I don't ever want to go back :c

People get tired of them because it feels like too many games follow those themes. When Modern Warfare blew up it meant that nearly every FPS moved into modern settings. And then there was a shift to futuristic shooters. That meant that we really haven't seen a AAA shooter (with a campaign) set during WW2 in nearly a decade. People are also just really curious about what could be done with that setting with modern tech.

To be fair some people complain about COD regardless, never got the hate personally and Infinite Warfare was a solid game, guess it's just the fanboys and the "it's cool to hate popular things" culture we have these days.

Will be interesting to see how this one goes down though, I just hope they take a few more risks to change up the gameplay a little, if it just plays like all the others then it will be a little disappointing.

They've honestly somehow manage to run out of American centric wars to base their games in lol.
Scale that shit down, make the AI more threatening and intelligent to the point where 1v1 shoot outs are dangerous and require skill and good reflexes.
Get better writers for those flat as fuck characters and corny and generic action sequences where so much flash is on the screen, but nothing of consequence that carries any real weight ever transpires.

I'd love to experience another perspective other than being an unstoppable all-American badass killing machine. Having the feel of real danger and vulnerability in as a solider in a war would be amazing.

I would love to see them not just make the same game for the umpteenth time with a new shiny new coat of paint.

I would say that the World War Two games in the COD series have been pretty good of having different countries in their games.

I honestly think this is a bad idea.

People want a return to WWII until they realize all the additions they've added to the systems of the game don't translate to it. Plus, Sledgehammer was the only one to really nail the jetpack movement and stuff in Advanced Warfighter, I'm bummed they won't let them expand and iterate on that.

jaaz

Call of duty has never done d-day, has it? That Medal of Honor will always stick with me because of it. Damn... add another 2017 game I'm getting.

I think they did the Omaha beach landing sequence, and Medal of Honor did the 101st Airborne drop on the morning of. But I could be wrong, it's been so many years...

I honestly think this is a bad idea.

People want a return to WWII until they realize all the additions they've added to the systems of the game don't translate to it. Plus, Sledgehammer was the only one to really nail the jetpack movement and stuff in Advanced Warfighter, I'm bummed they won't let them expand and iterate on that.
Less can be more

Maybe going back to a simpler era will help the series refresh

loll they are fucking OUT of ideas.

WW2 is the subtitle? lolllll

Maybe they can decrease the multiplayer tickrate to 5 or just replace the players with bots that insta-melt you instead and save on server costs.
What was the last time WWII was done on a modern budget, like a full-fledged AAA game?

Not enough people talking about how the multiplayer in this series has become an unplayable nightmare that feels worse than playing CS 1.5 over dialup while your sister is talking to her friends on the landline.

The game RUNS AT 10FPS ONLINE. Server side prediction has become server side judgement. Who knows who shot first or who aimed, who cares! HERE'S 7 bullets at once.

JDHarbs

It did D-Day all the way back in 2.
Point du Hoc which is a special case, and the beach part (while well done) only lasted about a minute. They could do a lot more especially with scale with today's tech.

When most think of D-Day they imagine Omaha beach in pure chaos with thousands of soldiers on it.

mortal

Gold Member
I would say that the World War Two games in the COD series have been pretty good of having different countries in their games.
They're usually filtered through a Hollywood idea of war, and usually wars the US has been involved in.

Which isn't the worst thing, but the execution is always the same.

Point du Hoc which is a special case, and the beach part (while well done) only lasted about a minute. They could do a lot more especially with scale with today's tech.

Definitely.

I still fondly remember the D-day landing in one of the Medal of Honor games on Gamecube. If they can get anywhere close to that, oh my.

Strike

Most likely legit. I'm slightly intrigued and that more than I been able to say about Call of Duty title (aside from a remaster) in years.

Card Boy

Banned
This turns my stomach. Just flat out the most offensive game I've ever seen.

I can name family members that died in this conflict, wept at the pictures and accounts of the dead and maimed that experienced this hell, was taught all the horrors of it from primary school, through my whole life, it's only ever been a symbol of the folly of war, the worst, most black and shameful era of American and European history. I've been to the actual battlefields and mass graves across Europe, held the minutes silence without fail every rememberence day my entire life, for as long as I could understand the meaning of it.

There was no glory in this war. No thrilling action or daring do, no heroes and villains, this was mass murder, a scar on the history of our species, and every single person involved in it was a victim.

The entire concept of this game, makes me feel physically sick, and just so fucking angry.

How fucking dare anyone make a game like this about the Second World War.

I don't know what's worse, the sick fucking emotionless, greedy cunts that would seriously exploit this horror of an industrialised massacre, or the ignorant, soulless bastards that will give them money and enjoy it.

Anyone involved in this, or seriously think of buying this, should be ashamed of themselves.

Top Bottom