• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Leaked art work suggest COD 2017 will be called ‘Call of Duty: WWII

If Treyarch is Black Ops & Sledgehammer historical CoD, then IW should make...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Plum

What was the last time WWII was done on a modern budget, like a full-fledged AAA game?

If you're talking "just fighting Nazis", Wolfenstein 3 years ago.
If you're talking actual WW2, I can't think of one since World of War 9 years ago. Sniper Elite is pretty much the only non-RTS franchise I can think off and those games, whilst decent, are the definition of mid-budget AA gaming.

Point du Hoc which is a special case, and the beach part (while well done) only lasted about a minute. They could do a lot more especially with scale with today's tech.

When most think of D-Day they imagine Omaha beach in pure chaos with thousands of soldiers on it.

Ah yeah, my memory's fuzzy.

I'm glad this is happening because it's the only way I'll be even remotely interested (but still probably not), but it's unfortunate it's happening during the c (or is it b) tier devs turn.

If you're talking "just fighting Nazis", Wolfenstein 3 years ago.
If you're talking actual WW2, I can't think of one since World of War 9 years ago. Sniper Elite is pretty much the only non-RTS franchise I can think off and those games, whilst decent, are the definition of mid-budget AA gaming.
Yeah, I mean actual WW2

Its too bad they will fuck it up immensely with micro transactions loot weapons and super power ups and all that other new shi

I dont know if i wish to see a ww2 cod where youre running and gunning around the map all the time

Like I want that cod4/waw feel where the game had some slow downs and when crouching and proning felt somewhat viable

NoPiece

I honestly think this is a bad idea.

People want a return to WWII until they realize all the additions they've added to the systems of the game don't translate to it. Plus, Sledgehammer was the only one to really nail the jetpack movement and stuff in Advanced Warfighter, I'm bummed they won't let them expand and iterate on that.

They should just alternate between historical and modern. The yearly installments with only incremental changes tires people out. They could support multiplayer with DLC maps for 2 years per game so folks like you that want to stick with one era can stick with it until the next one comes out.

Realyn

Make it look amazing, and give it a decent length campaign... add some paratrooper sequences and maybe a Battle of Britain sequence, and I am all the way in.

Saving-Private-Ryan-quotes-1.gif

58et_beach1.jpg

One of the best mp maps of all time, especially when you consider 64 player servers in 2001(!). But whenever I talk about RtCW nobody knows what I'm talking about ... so there's that :(.

I find it weird that people are complaining about this game will be an American wankfest when previous CoDs have included a Canadian and a Free Polish (!!) Campaign, not to mention the numerous times you've played as British and Russians.

Yeah I wonder what the micro transactions going to be, remember these are the guys that put in guns that did more damage and or fire rate in supply drops

Well, that's going to sell an absolute arseload.

Hopefully there's a bit more depth to the game than Battlefield 1. Also interesting to see how much they slow down the pace/rhythm of the matches - by only reverting to WW2, they still have a lot of machine gun options etc.

hydruxo

I honestly think this is a bad idea.

People want a return to WWII until they realize all the additions they've added to the systems of the game don't translate to it. Plus, Sledgehammer was the only one to really nail the jetpack movement and stuff in Advanced Warfighter, I'm bummed they won't let them expand and iterate on that.

Nah the jetpacks can go get locked away in a closet for all I care. Bring back boots on the ground.

Hip Hop

This turns my stomach. Just flat out the most offensive game I've ever seen.

I can name family members that died in this conflict, wept at the pictures and accounts of the dead and maimed that experienced this hell, was taught all the horrors of it from primary school, through my whole life, it's only ever been a symbol of the folly of war, the worst, most black and shameful era of American and European history. I've been to the actual battlefields and mass graves across Europe, held the minutes silence without fail every rememberence day my entire life, for as long as I could understand the meaning of it.

There was no glory in this war. No thrilling action or daring do, no heroes and villains, this was mass murder, a scar on the history of our species, and every single person involved in it was a victim.

The entire concept of this game, makes me feel physically sick, and just so fucking angry.

How fucking dare anyone make a game like this about the Second World War.

I don't know what's worse, the sick fucking emotionless, greedy cunts that would seriously exploit this horror of an industrialised massacre, or the ignorant, soulless bastards that will give them money and enjoy it.

Anyone involved in this, or seriously think of buying this, should be ashamed of themselves.

haha i remember this

daTRUballin

This turns my stomach. Just flat out the most offensive game I've ever seen.

I can name family members that died in this conflict, wept at the pictures and accounts of the dead and maimed that experienced this hell, was taught all the horrors of it from primary school, through my whole life, it's only ever been a symbol of the folly of war, the worst, most black and shameful era of American and European history. I've been to the actual battlefields and mass graves across Europe, held the minutes silence without fail every rememberence day my entire life, for as long as I could understand the meaning of it.

There was no glory in this war. No thrilling action or daring do, no heroes and villains, this was mass murder, a scar on the history of our species, and every single person involved in it was a victim.

The entire concept of this game, makes me feel physically sick, and just so fucking angry.

How fucking dare anyone make a game like this about the Second World War.

I don't know what's worse, the sick fucking emotionless, greedy cunts that would seriously exploit this horror of an industrialised massacre, or the ignorant, soulless bastards that will give them money and enjoy it.

Anyone involved in this, or seriously think of buying this, should be ashamed of themselves.

Is this meant to be a serious post? Not trying to sound sarcastic at all. This is a genuine question. It's just hard to tell on the internet.

EDIT: Oh, so it's a reference?

hypotc

First Call of Duty ever I'll skip if true.

Yeah, this. CoD have closed the theme of WWII for several decades at least. No point in going back to it.

You know, it's been a long time since we've had a triple A WW2 shooter. I would very much like a new FPS set in WW2, because everything nowadays is futuristic stuff.

EDIT: So I guess that's the.. point?

Plum

Yeah, I mean actual WW2

Then yeah, there hasn't been one for a while. When you consider just how far we've come from then in terms of graphical fidelity and presentation, even if the game just focuses on the usual suspects I cynically predicted in a previous post, it'll show something we haven't seen before. World at War was still an early 7th gen title through and through, the advancements in that gen alone would show WW2 in a new light.

Bad7667

The only way I even consider buying another Call of Duty game is if its set in WW2. So I am really looking forward to seeing what the game might be. I have been dying for a return to WW2 since MW3 came out.

wipeout364

Disappointed in this direction as someone who enjoyed Advanced warfare and infinite warfare. WW2 is at least a better setting than WW1 which was a ridiculous setting with it's limited weaponry. Sledgehammer did a great job on their last game so hopefully this will be good. The one good thing that may come out of this is it might give titanfall some more room in the market to shine.

terrible

Banned
With Battlefield pushing me away with awful game balance decisions this has me intrigued. If they keep the gameplay simple I'm probably in. Too many crazy perks and killstreaks and I'm probably out.

Disappointed in this direction as someone who enjoyed Advanced warfare and infinite warfare. WW2 is at least a better setting than WW1 which was a ridiculous setting with it's limited weaponry. Sledgehammer did a great job on their last game so hopefully this will be good. The one good thing that may come out of this is it might give titanfall some more room in the market to shine.
Weaponry isn't the best reason to do or not do a setting

RinsFury

I hope that the game will place a focus on the role women and minorities played in the conflict, rather than recycling the same storylines already seen in the old games. There's a real opportunity here for some unique scenarios, I'd like to see missions where you play as a female French resistance fighter, or storm the beaches of Normandy as an african american soldier in the 333rd Battalion.

Plum

You do know there are FPS WW2 games that are out right?

Such as? Wolfenstein is 1960s with Nazis and the biggest WW2 shooter of any kind out there right now is Sniper Elite which is 1) far removed from CoD and 2) a mid-budget title with mid-budget production values and 3) isn't even first-person. The only recent WW2 FPS I can think of off the top of my head is Enemy Front which came out 3 years ago and was crap.

FLAguy954

What is it about WWII that people find so appealing for games? I don't understand it at all. BF1 was incredibly boring to me, especially coming from BF3 and 4, which btw are 2 of my most played MP games ever.

To each their own, I guess. But for me, it's always a step backwards when a series does this. I can't go back to the old tech and weapon feel.

Seriously, I completely agree.

The weaponry will probably be limited and kind of boring but they have a lot of material to choose from when it comes to combat scenarios and set-pieces.

Weaponry isn't the best reason to do or not do a setting

Well, if they make up for it in other areas like BF1. Even that game's arsenal felt pretty limited.

WW2 has a better variety of weapons, but we have seen them a lot. Hopefully they feel good to shoot.

Edit: I'm pretty torn. While the futuristic setting of COD has grown stale, Advanced Warfare was the only one that I felt was on the right track. I'd be very interested to see what they could do with another futuristic title.

Tagyhag

I mean this is fine but Advanced Warfare was so good and I want more of that.

This is just me guessing but I assume that with Black Ops 2 and 3 already going the way of "modern future" they want all 3 teams to do vastly different themes.

This way, there's no fear of a game getting cannibalized by another because they look the same. Advanced Warfare was fantastic but I assume that they want to see what Sledgehammer can do in a different time period, and if they absolutely nail it, they could be the "Past" developer, while Treyarch is the "Modern" developer, and Infinity Ward becomes the "Future" developer.

Top Bottom