• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS4 dropping price to 199 tomorrow to counter Switch launch in some EU stores

Shiggy

To be fair, we had the PS4 at similar prices a few times already. But as Switch isn't really sold out over here, it's still interesting that Sony feels like they need to counter the system's launch.

LordRaptor

This is just petty, Sony lol. You're already winning. XD

On just console terms, they have a price and library advantage, as well as the release of a critically well received exclusive - it makes a lot of sense to capitalise on that.

Its literally the same tactic Nintendo used with the 3Ds to counteract the Vita.

Zoon

There's a reason that Nintendo chose to sell their products at those prices. It is because they have no competition.

SgtCobra

Isn't horizon not until yet in those regions either? Could help with sales of that game too
Horizon has been out since yesterday here in mainland Europe, but it probably has to do with its release too.

Hardware launch creates interest, gets people in stores -> limited stock means a lot of people won't get a Switch -> people see time-limited promotion of cheap PS4 -> decide to buy PS4.

I imagine that's the logic behind it.
Yeah something like this, it is not meant to combat the pre orders.

PS4 Slim Bomba

Poor Horizon. Zelda got them shook.

Fucking greedy, they should let Nintendo have their day.

So, they are scared.
lol

XandBosch

What's their line of thought here? That mom will go into the store to pick up the Switch for little Billy, see that it's sold out and get him something COMPLETELY different instead?

Dumb.

This is already happening. I'm in Media Markt Brussels, it's at 188€. Not much left..

Promo is today and tomorrow, but yeah tomorrow will be hard to find one. This definitely looks like a counterattack against the Switch lol

AmFreak

What would a 1 day price drop accomplish when the majority of day 1 Switch sales are from preorders?
- Customer enters shop to buy Switch
- Shop tells him it's outsold till date xy
- Shop tells him PS4 is discounted today or for a short time span

It's an opportunity to move extra units.

Hanmik

Looks like Sony is afraid of Nintendo Switch

ZaZER6x.gif

Justified

What's their line of thought here? That mom will go into the store to pick up the Switch for little Billy, see that it's sold out and get him something COMPLETELY different instead?

Dumb.

Not when Little Billy wanted COD, and GTA the whole time anyways

Denzar

Yeah. Same deal in my store.

They shouldn't be afraid of Switch IMO. Our stores received a very limited supply and there's plenty more available that aren't pre-ordered....

K' Dash

I think it is actually pretty smart, there won't be any Switch to sell, a cheap PS4 is a very attractive placebo while the next batch comes.

- Customer enters shop to buy Switch
- Shop tells him it's outsold till date xy
- Shop tells him PS4 is discounted today or for a short time span

It's an opportunity to move extra units.

Most shops will already be sold out of PS4's by tomorrow. It's more about stealing thunder I think

Sony must be SHOOK

Horizon will be overshadowed by Zelda x switch tbh
At least for me, I'll pick up that game later this month x next month must likely

dracula_x

Dumb.
Not dumb actually and already explained here in this thread.

Also, I think "little Billy" would be only glad to get GTAV instead of Zelda.

Be afraid....Be Switch afraid.

What'll be Microsofts response ��

Xbox (as console and brand) is almost dead outside of UK in Europe

Boke1879

The only way I see them doing this is for people who didn't preorder a Switch and can't find one at retail. They can pick up a PS4 and some decent games instead

While I can see the thought of upstaging Nintendo with price, which they no doubt are appealing to, but what about a potential add-on to your Switch.

Smart move by Sony regardless, almost no one buying a Switch tomorrow is going to change their mind, but someone with enough cash would certainly think "Hmm maybe I'll pick one of those up too".

Top Bottom