• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS4 dropping price to 199 tomorrow to counter Switch launch in some EU stores

Usobuko

Banned
Hardware launch creates interest, gets people in stores -> limited stock means a lot of people won't get a Switch -> people see time-limited promotion of cheap PS4 -> decide to buy PS4.

I imagine that's the logic behind it.

Sony: It's nothing personal, it's just business.

buttdiver

I imagine most people getting Switches are doing so for Zelda (or other Switch-exclusive launch games) so...I don't understand.

Zukkoyaki

Some of these replies are incredible

As for the main topic, I think it's a shrewd move. Might be able to entice some people to pick up a PS4 that weren't planning on doing so. Competition is good for the industry, and competitive pricing is great for consumers.

MUnited83

For you.
Pfff, im calling BS on this. Why on earth would Sony be bothered by the Switch!!?
Bothered? Lol! This is just smart marketing. Take advantage of the very low stock Switch will have, get all those people who went there and couldn't get a switch to impulse buy a super cheap Ps4.

What is this idiotic war between Horizon and Zelda? Such a dumb unnecessary 'fight' when there's no reason to be fighting. Both systems have really good open world games out, win/win.

If your goal was to make someone cringe you win I guess.

Again, this is more for add-on sales and "Switch is sold out, PS4 dropped price". 53.4 million consoles isn't a sign of 'shooked'.

I'm not fighting, just saying my opinion, can't say it now?
I have limited time to play games, I'm not in high school anymore
I'll pick Zelda because I like Zelda games

timberger

"Horizon vs Zelda" continues to be some of the dumbest shit going on gaf. Some Zelda fans must be "LEGIT SHOOK" Horizon was so well received or something.

What would a 1 day price drop accomplish when the majority of day 1 Switch sales are from preorders?

Yeah, seems pretty pointless but it might hook a few casual buyers caught short by stock shortages and the like. Can't hurt to try, but even so, I'm surprised they're making the effort anyways.

People who buy a Switch day 1 won't change their mind because of that PS4 price, but maybe Sony can squeeze in some additional sales from Switch buyers: "damn that's cheap, I'll pick one up too" or something like that ;)

lonerism

Sony must be SHOOK

Horizon will be overshadowed by Zelda x switch tbh
At least for me, I'll pick up that game later this month x next month must likely

You must be fun at parties, don't you?

giphy.gif

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

sam777

Already dropped in the U.K, just bought a white PS4 Slim with Horizon and an extra Silver controller. All for £200 or about 230 euro's

Damn Sony ain't playing. The Slim at $249 with Uncharted 4 and a maturing library behind it( and some great exclusives just launched in 2017 alone) is already a much better value proposition than the Switch.

Amused

Hey I bought Horizon CE because of E3, but when it comes to brand recognition zelda is known worldwide

Edit: and horizon is in my backlog. Zelda takes priority for me

It is not being sent out to die. It is going to sell millions. Zelda or no Zelda.

Zelda is going to do great to.

Didn't take long for this thread to become a "Hate on Horizon" thread. LOL So what's the narrative now? That it's being sent to die? A Horizon sequel is almost guaranteed at this point.

If they announced this a few days ago it would have been a good strategy.

Stealth sale the day of? Its a little pointless.

People will be buying Switch for the 1 game it has. Those people are pretty hardcore and probably not gonna just go "Ok. Ill buy the other box". People want the Zelda box.

I guess it might push people who have been on the edge of getting a PS4 though. With the great lineup the PS4 has been enjoying sure. Might as well.

Mooreberg

I think Horizon will be sent to die. Zelda is a bigger franchise and Sony knows that, maybe a reason they're willing to take a hit on a console so people buy Horizon too
Horizon's competition is the mountain of software coming out this quarter that is also being made available on PS4. Switch is going to sell out early on like just about every console launch. Sony's pricing strategy isn't going to keep Switch from selling out, and Zelda is not going to have as much impact on Horizon's prospects as games on the same platform. It isn't like God of War II failed to sell because good Xbox 360 games were available at the same time.

Harmen

This is a smart move. Regarding the "all switch sales are from preorders anyways" argument, I think you people are thinking too much on the short term. Any person who buys a PS4 the coming week will be less likely to buy a Switch anytime soon (during restocks and the holidays).

BadWolf

Didn't take long for this thread to become a "Hate on Horizon" thread. LOL So what's the narrative now? That it's being sent to die? A Horizon sequel is almost guaranteed at this point.

Yup, sent to die to a 50+ million install base on a console that Zelda is not on.

Usobuko

Banned
I think Horizon will be sent to die. Zelda is a bigger franchise and Sony knows that, maybe a reason they're willing to take a hit on a console so people buy Horizon too

The hit Sony wants isn't Horizon to sell well but more of people getting into their ecosystem and reaping the sweet PS+ moolah.

Mokujin

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but hope it last some time so I can pick one at that price.

Problem is that I kind of want a Pro, hmmmm.

For anyone that doesn't have a PS4 I would jump on this whether you are interested in Switch or not. Great price and totally worth it. Sony has killed it this Gen IMO.

EmiPrime

Reminds me of Blizzard releasing new content or starting a beta test for WoW whenever a new MMO was about to be released. Ruthless.

Top Bottom