• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS4 dropping price to 199 tomorrow to counter Switch launch in some EU stores

Memento

That doesnt make too much sense.

I think Switch will be very supply constrained, and the sales will be mostly from pre orders, so...?

datwr

There is now a 120 euro price difference between Slim and Switch in Sweden.
I also noticed the Pro is just 30 euro more expansive then the Switch.

NolbertoS

Never thought I'd see thr day of Sony "AFRAID" of a Nintendo launch. Nintendo Switch hype must be real that Sony is gonna keep a sharp eye on how sales it does and counter with a Ps VIta 2 right guys??
i know Vita is dead but one can dream :(

PantsuJo

199€ price will allow Sony to reach 70 millions of unit sold before the end of 2017, I think.

If they will manage to cut the price at 150€ for base and 200€ for Pro (2018), well... They could reach the 100 millions, just as theorized from someone in another thread.

Be afraid....Be Switch afraid.

What'll be Microsofts response 🤔

c32971_f7a2aa9eefc74ef490da832c56d48503~mv2.gif

8byte

Banned
Probably not a counter, but capitalizing on people going to buy Switch but can't get one because of limited stock.

BadWolf

Smart move, a whole bunch of people won't be able to score a switch day 1.

They will probably do the same thing to Scorpio lol.

Kuro

This is an extra sales tactic to get the people who show up to buy a Switch without preorder and can't find one. Clever. Its not about feeling threatened its about taking advantage of the situation to get extra sales.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Probably not a counter, but capitalizing on people going to buy Switch but can't get one because of limited stock.
.... Well that's a counter lol.

Horizon and the price drop the same the Switch launches doesn't seem like a coincidence.

JJH

After the first couple of months it's only going to be an uphill battle for Nintendo when competing companies offer vastly cheaper consoles with a catalog of games and support.

Sony must be SHOOK

Horizon will be overshadowed by Zelda x switch tbh
At least for me, I'll pick up that game later this month x next month must likely
What is this idiotic war between Horizon and Zelda? Such a dumb unnecessary 'fight' when there's no reason to be fighting. Both systems have really good open world games out, win/win.

If your goal was to make someone cringe you win I guess.

Again, this is more for add-on sales and "Switch is sold out, PS4 dropped price". 53.4 million consoles isn't a sign of 'shooked'.

jelly

The UK has been doing PS4 Slim with Horizon and Extra Controller for £199 the last week.

Amazing deal.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
After the first couple of months it's only going to be an uphill battle for Nintendo when competing companies offer vastly cheaper consoles with a catalog of games and support.
Sounds like you standard console launch against already established platforms.

Amused

Hahaha, why would anyone make this out to be a bad thing? Competition is great for consumers - of course we want these companies to compete!

When you start criticizing fucking price drops on the products you are offered your priorities are not in the right place.

SpecX

The agony is real. PS4 doomed.

They probably target those will go for a Switch and its sold out.

I'm thinking the same thing. It's a good strategic move to boost sales a bit for those that miss out on the Switch and can also take away some future sales from the Switch as people might not be willing to spend money to buy an additional console after settling on a cheap PS4. Not saying this will work on everyone, but it will have a small impact on people fitting this profile.

Taker666

Pricing is the big problem facing Switch in Europe ..so this is a smart move by Sony.

Less of an issue in Japan and the US where the Switch is priced to match the cheapest version of the PS4..

...but in Europe the PS4 is already far cheaper than the Switch..so this just makes Switch look even worse value.

NolbertoS

I think Horizon will be sent to die. Zelda is a bigger franchise and Sony knows that, maybe a reason they're willing to take a hit on a console so people buy Horizon too

Kikorin

That's a damn good deal, anyway I can't play Zelda on PS4, so I'll stay with Switch this time.

In future I'll buy for sure at that price!

Top Bottom