• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS4 dropping price to 199 tomorrow to counter Switch launch in some EU stores

Unknown?

A $199 PS4 after this year's software and next year's will be hot! Probably the hottest thing on the market.

Shiggy

Sony will be able to get that money from frustrated customers who waited late to pre-order and can't find a Switch at launch. I recall buying a PS3 when I couldn't find a Nintendo Wii. It's a brilliant strategy. Nintendo needs to do better when it comes to shipping enough units to sell at launch. I think they deliberately cut stock short to manufacture demand because of perceived scarcity and can have news articles that say that their console is sold out everywhere.

But you can still get a Switch at launch in Europe. It's not really difficult to find here despite the low shipment numbers. Seems like Sony just does it for the buzz.

conpfreak

Lol, Switch is going to get slaughtered this holiday if they keep the price at $300.

You think so? They just released one of the highest rated games of all time, with a Super Mario 64 spiritual sequel on the way. A portable Mario Kart 8 will sell ridiculous amount of systems. It's taking over handheld market share as well. Who knows what's coming at E3. I really don't think people are going to buy a PS4 over the Switch 3 years into its life trying to save $50. The system has way too much casual potential.

EmiPrime

Well here's hoping for a good deal on a PS4 Pro too

If not now definitely when Scorpio launches. Sony aren't resting on their laurels, they don't want the competition to get a foothold.

Which is good for us! Bring on the price wars and the discount bundles.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
This already tells us PS4 will be 199 maybe with a game even in the Holiday season. Switch has to drop the price to remain competetive.
Erm not really. PS4 was already 200 bucks this past holiday season in Germany.

How well the competition does is irrelevant for Nintendo as long as they reach their own targets. Which they can if they deliver on their own content/hardware.

Anteo

Smart, anyone that cany get a switch because of low stock alocation may get a ps4 with games instead. Heck it may even change the mind of those who do find stock.

I think it's really funnny to see consumers in here who are upset that a business has cut the price of their product in response to competition.

Like wtf. That's good for us.

jony_m

It's possible a permanent price drop was planned for E3 to counter switch and scorpio to a certain degree

May as well twist the knife now in Europe where Nintendo has always been weak.

Mooreberg

This already tells us PS4 will be 199 maybe with a game even in the Holiday season. Switch has to drop the price to remain competetive.
It also makes it interesting to see what Scorpio's launch price will be, even if it not specifically the same sort of platform launch (nothing exclusive, but on the other hand, no worries about software after launch). UC4 w/ the hardware at $249.99 did huge business (adjust to relevant local currency). Sony will have a ton of games to choose from for bundling this year, even if it is to be a game released before June.

budpikmin

I think it's really funnny to see consumers in here who are upset that a business has cut the price of their product in response to competition.

Like wtf. That's good for us.

Agreed. Competition is good for all of us. It'll just spur Nintendo to get more aggressive with marketing and Microsoft might lower their price as well

Eh... Not entirely sure I'd call this a counter to Switch. PS4 and Xbox One have been offering discounts like this for the past few weeks or so in the states. Either way it's a great deal!

Melon Husk

The system's effectively been at 199.99 here in the States since the holidays. BB had the $50 gift card bake-in, and NewEgg has had the System+Controller bundle at 250.

...with or without tax? There's a 18 to 25 % value added tax included in these prices.

Chinner

Banned
Putting aside console wars, this is actually really good for consumers. More affordable choices is only a good thing.

Ricky_R

Why are people pissed that Sony is possibly cutting the price of the PS4?

Anyway, I would've thought they would drop the price come Scorpio's release, but I guess it makes sense to do so now.

Servbot24

Banned
That doesn't make any sense. Switch is gonna be sold out. There aren't going to be any consoles on the shelves that they need to counter.

jdmonmou

But you can still get a Switch at launch in Europe. It's not really difficult to find here despite the low shipment numbers. Seems like Sony just does it for the buzz.

How easy is it to get? Because in the US unless you pre-ordered you basically have to camp out at stores in hopes you can get one of the few consoles they have for walk-ins. If it takes doing something like that it's possible people looking for a console will just give up and go for the PS4 deal if they don't have one already.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads

"Classy move" right?

DV4kcpp.gif

Gxgear

If true, shouldn't Sony openly promote this to hedge Switch preorders? Or maybe they're targeting would-be Switch buyers without a PO but don't want to leave the store empty-handed.

Shiggy

interesting

there must be strong indicators that the Switch is being well received

Considering it's far from being sold out despite low shipment numbers, it's more a marketing strategy of Sony to take away buzz from the Switch launch. The PS4 price itself isn't even particularly low.

How easy is it to get? Because in the US unless you pre-ordered you basically have to camp out at stores in hopes you can get one of the few consoles they have for walk-ins. If it takes doing something like that it's possible people looking for a console will just give up and go for the PS4 deal if they don't have one already.

Here you could just order it online today and then get it as soon as the shipping company is.

Steroyd

That doesn't make any sense. Switch is gonna be sold out. There aren't going to be any consoles on the shelves that they need to counter.

Might not even be a counter, it may just be an oppotunitist move, Parents looking to get their kid a Switch may come out with a PS4 because there's no more Switch's on the shelves and the parent sees that super cheap console.

Added bonus is that it snuffs the chance of parents walking out with a Xbox One instead, win win move. IMO.

Top Bottom