• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS4 dropping price to 199 tomorrow to counter Switch launch in some EU stores

Tyaren

Lol, came in this thread to say something like: Probably a nonsense rumor, Sony is doing great right now, they also aren't really directly competing with the Switch anyway.
Now I see that it is actually true and I am seriously wondering why?

dVJNUJlVS6yeyEYhtJIL_Confused%20Mark%20Wahlberg.gif

I think Horizon will be sent to die. Zelda is a bigger franchise and Sony knows that, maybe a reason they're willing to take a hit on a console so people buy Horizon too

The hottest of shit takes.

This makes sense. A new console launch means you should expect traffic as game/electronic shops to temporarily spike, so why not try and take advantage of that?

Head.spawn

Everyone getting a Switch likely pre-ordered though... huh?

Nobody walking into a store looking for dat Zelda fix is going to walk out with a PS4, because it's a lower price.

Fredrik

This is a smart move. Regarding the "all switch sales are from preorders anyways" argument, I think you people are thinking too much on the short term. Any person who buys a PS4 the coming week will be less likely to buy a Switch anytime soon (during restocks and the holidays).
While that might be true to some degree I'd say that anyone considering buying a Switch won't likely buy a PS4 instead, even if there is a price drop, since they're completely different systems.

Jimrpg

Microsoft had the following bundle in Australia AU$299 for March 1st/2nd at Big W.

Xbox One S
Minecraft
Halo MC
Halo Wars 2
Halo 5
RS Vegas
RS Vegas 2
RS Vegas siege

Crazy bundle! It's like at least $270 worth of software.

silva1991

I think Horizon will be sent to die. Zelda is a bigger franchise and Sony knows that, maybe a reason they're willing to take a hit on a console so people buy Horizon too

Nintendo and their franchises are irrelevant to the big Sony crowd. Not a even a niche PS4 game will flop, because of Nintendo.

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
Can only assume this is a somewhat scheduled PR piece, so Sony can release a statement next week saying the sold a ton of PS4s, then the media outlets can put headlines saying it outsold the Switch at launch, or something along those lines.

Like has been said, I doubt anyone wanting a Switch would be bothered if the PS4 was cheaper, they'll either have one already or want a Switch. They're hardly like-for-like and their USPs are quite differing.

Microsoft had the following bundle in Australia AU$299 for March 1st/2nd at Big W.

Xbox One S
Minecraft
Halo MC
Halo Wars 2
Halo 5
RS Vegas
RS Vegas 2
RS Vegas siege

Crazy bundle! It's like at least $270 worth of software.

o_O
I saw a FF15 x halo 5 x battlefield 1 Xbox s bundle a week ago too , makes me regret buying one during the holidays

Now if Sony offered a ps pro x horizon x ps+ x more games for $250 I'd upgrade from my MGS V PS4
But that won't ever happen

Business is amazing. If these deals make it to the US my friend might switch to a PS4 since he couldn't find a switch preorder.

m00h

Banned
Damn Sony ain't playing. The Slim at $249 with Uncharted 4 and a maturing library behind it( and some great exclusives just launched in 2017 alone) is already a much better value proposition than the Switch.

I don't feel the value. Can I play while I'm on a train on my way to work?
Don't look like a better proposition to me.

Cleve

What would a 1 day price drop accomplish when the majority of day 1 Switch sales are from preorders?

People showing up hoping to get lucky that didn't pre-order, not being able to get a switch and don't want to leave with nothing. it makes sense.

-edit- didn't realize were on page 3 already, I'm sure that was said a million times.

Permanently A

Lol, came in this thread to say something like: Probably a nonsense rumor, Sony is doing great right now, they also aren't really directly competing with the Switch anyway.

Nothing wrong with twisting the knife. Regular Joe walks in to Gamestop cause he heard the Switch was out today, doesn't know about pre-orders or console shortages, finds out there's no Switch in stock. Hmm, but they do have PS4 in stock for a nice price.

Although I get the idea of trying to take advantage of the Switch's supply constraints, I just don't see people who can't buy a Switch jumping on the PS4 train. If most of the people who are purchasing a Switch are doing so mainly for Zelda, I can't imagine them going, "Oh, it's out of stock? Bummer, I'll go play Horizon instead."

If anything, I feel like this is more of a testament to what a reasonably good job Sony did in establishing the PS4's value right out of the gate. Dropping the price is a nice perk, but I think a lot of people (obviously not the case for all) who were excited Horizon already have PS4's.

It definitely makes sense if you're on the fence or are about to make an impulse buy. Squeeze whatever you can, Sony.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Sony must be SHOOK

Horizon will be overshadowed by Zelda x switch tbh
At least for me, I'll pick up that game later this month x next month must likely

That's silly. Horizon is selling great, reviewed well and is generating positive buzz. It's also the type of game and graphic style that sells gangbusters to the western core gamer that's Sony's bread and butter.

Outside of us hardcore gamers there probably aren't a lot of people interested in both Zelda and Horizon. A lot of Nintendo fans don't like realistic graphics and western open world games and a lot of western core gamers don't like cartoony graphics or have interest in Nintendo consoles or games.

Sony is just being bold and wanting to keep selling PS4s in huge numbers. Blowing the PS3 launch coming off the record success of the PS2 apparently taught them a lesson about being arrogant or complacent in the market.

kirblar

The system's effectively been at 199.99 here in the States since the holidays. BB had the $50 gift card bake-in, and NewEgg has had the System+Controller bundle at 250.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yup, it's the big problem you have to deal with when launching mid-generation.
They will be fine if they have the content ready. Just look at the last Holiday season... n 3DS at 200 bucks was selling out because people wanted to play Pokémon.

Same way Sony dropping the price doesn't mean much for people who already want a Switch and Zelda anyway. PS4 is its 4th year and was already 200 this Christmas season.

MUnited83

For you.

Taking advantage of low stock on the competition and spike in store attendance. Get people that didn't manage to get a Switch to impulse buy a PS4.

Like, it is really quite simple lol.

Elandyll

Banned
maybe they expect people who missed on switch to just get a PS4 instead.
Mmh, I was going to say it's silly as the Switch will likely be sold out anyway, but maybe it's indeed a move to capitalize on parents going to try to grab one on launch weekend, and not wanting to disappoint their kids returning with nothing.

Oh You Sony

7736794.jpg

Amused

"Classy move" right?

What is the implication here? That offering a product at a competitive price - cutting the price for the consumers - is somehow showing a lack of class?

I don't understand anything anymore.

Fuck you Sony, offering me your product at a great price!

kswiston

Although I get the idea of trying to take advantage of the Switch's supply constraints, I just don't see people who can't buy a Switch jumping on the PS4 train. If most of the people who are purchasing a Switch are doing so mainly for Zelda, I can't imagine them going, "Oh, it's out of stock? Bummer, I'll go play Horizon instead."

If anything, I feel like this is more of a testament to what a reasonably good job Sony did in establishing the PS4's value right out of the gate. Dropping the price is a nice perk, but I think a lot of people (obviously not the case for all) who were excited Horizon already have PS4's.

It definitely makes sense if you're on the fence or are about to make an impulse buy. Squeeze whatever you can, Sony.

There's always March Birthdays/anniversaries, and Easter is on the horizon. I doubt they are going to steal a ton of sales doing this, but it doesn't hurt to have a cheap alternative for those who can't get their hands on a Switch but need a gift for whatever reason.

psyfi

Banned
Huh, I would've expected this to happen when most people could actually find Switch units. Like, in a few months. But now makes sense too, I guess.

Considering how my ps4 in the past year has basically been my rocket league/overwatch machine I wish I would've waited on it and got those games on PC instead 😣

jdmonmou

What would a 1 day price drop accomplish when the majority of day 1 Switch sales are from preorders?

Sony will be able to get that money from frustrated customers who waited late to pre-order and can't find a Switch at launch. I recall buying a PS3 when I couldn't find a Nintendo Wii. It's a brilliant strategy. Nintendo needs to do better when it comes to shipping enough units to sell at launch. I think they deliberately cut stock short to manufacture demand because of perceived scarcity and can have news articles that say that their console is sold out everywhere.

This is probably less of an attempt to combat the Switch and more just to take advantage of the influx of traffic the Switch launch will bring into stores. Especially to try and take advantage of customers who can't actually get a Switch.

Harmen

While that might be true to some degree I'd say that anyone considering buying a Switch won't likely buy a PS4 instead, even if there is a price drop, since they're completely different systems.

For example, to a lot of the parents buying their kid a gaming platform that does not really matter.I think it depends on the type of consumer. I have had to make choices between fairly different products in the past as well. I am not saying this applies to anybody, but I do think a PS4 pricedrop to compete is a smart move, because I think there is definitely overlap in the potential consumers for both products.

Asd202

This already tells us PS4 will be 199 maybe with a game even in the Holiday season. Switch has to drop the price to remain competetive.

Top Bottom