• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: So Killzone: SF was only using 1.5GB of VRAM

i-Lo

1. Launch title
2. Underpowered hardware
3. 8 months left of development time
4. Unfinished engine

It's got a long way to go... but don't expect the world from a launch title. I expect it to look a little bit better than Crysis 3 by launch.

If I've learned anything from this gen (my first console gen), it's that there are continual improvements to the visual fidelity as time passes.

Oh for God's sake, RAM ISN"T EVERYTHING !

Don't get mad over it. What's happening is that a lot of GAF members don't care what "Jaguar" is or even care what the numbers in GPU means. RAM is one thing they can right-click on and check if their PC has it.

It is more than PS3? If so, OMG!
Is it more than WiiU? If so, OMG!
Is it more or equal to Nextbox? If so, OMG!
Does it have a 5 instead of a 3? If so, OMG!
Does it have a G ahead of it? If so, OMG!

Risette

A Good Citizen
Don't get mad over it. What's happening is that a lot of GAF members don't care what "Jaguar" is or even care what the numbers in GPU means. RAM is one thing they can right-click on and check if their PC has it.

It is more than PS3? If so, OMG!
Is it more than WiiU? If so, OMG!
Is it more or equal to Nextbox? If so, OMG!
Does it have a 5 instead of a 3? If so, OMG!
Does it have a G ahead of it? If so, OMG!
basically AHHHH BIGGER NUMBERS

M.Bluth

Ask yourself this? Would it be far fetch for a school teacher to know her City Councilmen/woman? Would it be far fetch for a City Councilmen/woman to know a State Senator? Would it be far fetch for a Police Officer to know an FBI agent? Would it be far fetch for an FBI agent to know a CIA agent?
I read that in Andrew Ryan's voice for some reason...

Globox_82

Banned
I don't want to open another ram thread for this question.
Kotaku was the first to rumor 8GB of GDDr5 ram, but they also mentioned something like 2.2GD of VRAM. What is it? Is it extra or takes from those 8GB. What's it's role ? (if true)

CLEEK

Kotaku was the first to rumor 8GB of GDDr5 ram, but they also mentioned something like 2.2GD of VRAM. What is it? Is it extra or takes from those 8GB. What's it's role ? (if true)

That old rumour was around the first PS4 dev kits. Not the final hardware. It was a PC based dev kit, with separate CPU and GPU (so with segregated 8GB of main RAM and 2.2GB VRAM).

The PS4 uses an APU (combined CPU and GPU) with unified 8GB of GDDR5 RAM. Devs are free to assign as much available RAM to either CPU or GPU as they want.

Respawn

Banned
Except he is right about about the pixelated shadows. They are rare and the human characters do not cast them. It's the soft shadows cast by distant objects. I bothered me as well. That's the only thing he got right.

I also saw texture flickering/z-fighting in the beginning and later hiccup in an animation. But I am not worried because things like these get fixed.

I guess but it really hurts the brain going from tech forums to weird ass post on GAF. Its like to downplay this demo would make them sleep better at night.
Not at you bro :)

DBT85

No, Kotakus article said the first devkits had 8GB of system ram and 2.2GB of Vram. That is because the first kits would have been for the most part off the shelf parts put together to get things going with an approximate baseline.

The 8GB of system ram in those machines would have been DDR3 not GDDR5. The 2.2GB (still a weird number to me) of vram would have been GDDR5 on whatever graphics card they dropped in. Much like my PC has 16GB of DDR3 system ram and 2GB of GDDR5 Vram.

It's not until the January 2013 devkit that they are rumoured to have a dedicated pool of ram using a SoC devkit. That would probably have been GDDR5.

Globox_82

Banned
No, Kotakus article said the first devkits had 8GB of system ram and 2.2GB of Vram. That is because the first kits would have been for the most part off the shelf parts put together to get things going with an approximate baseline.

The 8GB of system ram in those machines would have been DDR3 not GDDR5. The 2.2GB (still a weird number to me) of vram would have been GDDR5 on whatever graphics card they dropped in.

It's not until the January 2013 devkit that they are rumoured to have a dedicated pool of ram using a SoC devkit. That would probably have been GDDR5.

so in simple language. PS4 will have thsoe 8GB of GDDR5 for games AND OS? There is no separate RAM for OS?

CLEEK

so in simple language. PS4 will have thsoe 8GB of GDDR5 for games AND OS? There is no separate RAM for OS?

True. A portion (rumoured to be 0.5GB) will be reserved for the OS, so devs will only see 7.5GB for games. From that 7.5GB, they are free to carve it up into whatever chunks they want. Games with a fuck load of RAM intensive effects might dedicate more to the GPU side of things, open world games might want to use more of it for persistent data or caching data from storage.

My only two problems with the graphics in the Killzone demo were the textures and the animations.

Both of those are heavily dependent on RAM and will probably improve drastically before launch, so I'm happy.

Razgreez

RAM is the equivalent of horsepower, IMO.

Just so wrong. In car analogy ram is more like a smaller, more efficient fueltank close to the engine (in this case the CPU and GPU). If the engine can't get fuel fast enough and in large enough quantities from the main fuel tank it might starve/stall. What's the upside? The faster you drive the more fuel you burn so you need that fuel quickly and in larger quantities when pushing performance.

Of course all of this depends on just how thirsty the engine is at its maximum performance

prag16

Banned
My only two problems with the graphics in the Killzone demo were the textures and the animations.

Both of those are heavily dependent on RAM and will probably improve drastically before launch, so I'm happy.
Animations heavily bound by RAM? If 8x the ram didn't appear to noticeably improve KZ's character animation from KZ3, I doubt doubling it again will by itself work any miracles.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Someone correct me if I am wrong

but the more ram you have available means you are able to get higher quality assets?

high res textures, better shading, improved loading and poly count?

that is of course there is no bottlenecks.

is this correct guys?

Tratorn

Animations heavily bound by RAM? If 8x the ram didn't appear to noticeably improve KZ's character animation from KZ3, I doubt doubling it again will by itself work any miracles.

The animations are worse than in KZ2/3, so it just seems they didn't polish them at this point.

Razgreez

Someone correct me if I am wrong

but the more ram you have available means you are able to get higher quality assets?

high res textures, better shading, improved loading and poly count?

that is of course there is no bottlenecks.

is this correct guys?

That's a very big assumption. If end to end bandwidth and computational power are high enough to utilise the available memory then yes, you get all those benefits

Cipherr

How many gigglebops of rambus bus speed is that?

pgdead.png

Came into this thread looking for discussion of this rumor.

Then got slapped in the face by a whole bunch of thread whining on the first page... Not trying to backseat mod here, but guys, this isn't just another RAM thread, and as Evilore and the mods always say, "new news-new thread."

I thought the textures in the KZ demo looked pretty muddy and lower in resolution than I would have assumed I'd see in a tent pole graphics demo for a system with that much RAM. So yeah, I'd assume the first thing GG would look into improving are the texture assets.

Alchemy

• RAM isn't everything, CPUs and GPUs exist for a reason.
  • But it does help a lot.
  • Bigger textures!
  • More/larger render targets!
  • General algorithm optimization, usually a way to trade CPU cycles for memory consumption and vice versa.

Everyone just needs to chill out and wait for more game footage. I can only imagine the horror that GAF was when the PS3 was announced with having a Cell in it.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Let me put this way guys

if the ps3 had 8gb of DDR5 ram with the exact same specs. Nothing else is different. same RSX and cell chip.

would there be a substantial difference?

Let me put this way guys

if the ps3 had 8gb of DDR5 ram with the exact same specs. Nothing else is different. same RSX and cell chip.

Yes because the memory in the PS3 was not unified and was not shared between the GPU/GNC.

Please correct me If I'm wrong, but isn't one of the reasons 8G GDDR5 is impressive (aside from the bandwidth) is the fact that it is unified, meaning that it can essentially act as 8G Vram for the GPGPU (or however much will end up being used for gaming)?

Or is it not that simple?

Let me put this way guys

That would be like pouring a litre of drink into an 8 litre bottle (right now PS3 is like having two 256ml bottles), PS4 GPU and CPU will be like pouring 8 litres of drink into an 8 litre bottle

Basically, you need the hardware to back up the RAM, or its pointless.

pottuvoi

Banned
If memory speed/latency stay same the additional memory doesn't affect performance.
Here's some things that it makes easier.

- more varied textures (more textures)
- larger textures (ie. jump from 512x512 texture to 1024x1024 texture takes 4x the memory)

- More varied animation

- more persistent game world
Things that you do might have effect for longer time.
IE. in GTA when you go rampage there might be cleaning crew working on the mess for long time and messing traffic etc. (for days if needed.)

- NPC interaction with each other and world when player is not close by.

- Creating a procedural game world without player seeing the popup.
same goes for all the fun things like voxelization of an environment for cone tracing or creating lightmaps away from direct vision.

In short, you do not need to touch every bit in memory for every frame for it to be useful.
Yes, you can stream things like persistent world into HDD and fetch from there, but the additional latency can be bad when you want to keep things changing.

Raide

Cannot wait to see Aliens:CM on this!

On a more serious note, I cannot wait to see what developers do with more memory that is not just another shooter. Really getting tired of them now.

luffeN

The quote says "Less than that.Most kits until pretty recently had only 1.5 GB usable for graphics."

Usable for graphics. Although it is a unified RAM pool Sony still sets limits for CPU / GPU / OS? Or am I missing something here.

Krilekk

Banned
Yeah it sounds like he said of the available pool, 1.5GB of it was used for graphics. Devkits were 4GB right? 1.5 for graphics sounds about right no?

Devkits had 8 GB and 2.2 GB Vram. And of course they only used the Vram for graphics.

Margalis

Banned
PS4 has VRAM.

Who knew?

The quote says "Less than that.Most kits until pretty recently had only 1.5 GB usable for graphics."

Usable for graphics. Although it is a unified RAM pool Sony still sets limits for CPU / GPU / OS? Or am I missing something here.

I feel there's a reasonable chance that the "PS4" doesn't really exist at this point and everything is running on a PC that is built to some PS4-like spec.

Raide

I think they will always have to have a certain amount put aside for the OS, Share functions etc. I just cannot see Sony letting developers pretty much ignore all the features they have touted, in favour of using more RAM.

PS4 has VRAM.

Who knew?

I feel there's a reasonable chance that the "PS4" doesn't really exist at this point and everything is running on a PC that is built to some PS4-like spec.

I'm a little nervous about this thing even being ready for manufacture and a release by holiday 2013.

Devkits had 8 GB and 2.2 GB Vram. And of course they only used the Vram for graphics.

It's a unified pool, there shouldn't be any VRAM. If the kits had 4GB and 1.5 was usable "for graphics", a more likely explanation would be that the person discussing it just split the pool down the middle assuming a 50/50 split for CPU and GPU usage, and that 1GB was reserved for OS / extra functions.

I say it implies 1GB for OS because if it was only 512, then we would have 2GB for system and 1.5 for video, which seems quite unlikely - video is more likely to get the extra 512.

Sooner or later Herman Hulst or some other better know Guerilla guy will respond to this.
But i have no doubt the game will look better than that alpha demo.

Kinda cool if this would be even half true.

I like how now that it has 8gb of ram... its not a big deal for some people.

lmao

would love it if KZSF had a
special making of featurette you unlock after beating the game that talks about the ram bump

PS4 has VRAM.

Who knew?

You mean retail-like unit? Then no. But VGleaks had the article about the dev-kit evolution. They've been spot-on mostly. The 8GB thing is obviously very new.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509773

The kit that shipped in January is supposed to be the first one withe the Custom GPU and the camera and new controller. The CPU has been available for a while now.

KidBeta

PS4 has VRAM.

Who knew?

The devkits that were out before were pretty much final silicon but they are rather new iirc.

R1CHO

People saying is not only Ram and you need the cpu and gpu power to push it are fucking right.

But 8GB gddr5 is a good new and games will look better because in my opinion 4GB would be a Bottleneck, even if the GPU is not some crazy top of the notch thing or the console is not going to be used for gaming at more than 1080p.

Top Bottom