• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 to get 2 years worth of DLC

Kalentan

4 year dev cycles with 2 main devs? How fitting would it be to see IW become a support dev after so many devs had to support them?

Would be kind of hilarious.

I mean hell, if Treyarch can get this much in 3 years, I would love to see them do 4 years. Though I'd imagine 4 years is probably the max. Anything past that might lead to too much bloat.

zsynqx

It's hard to imagine that they'll skip a year for a CoD release. If it's true then i'd guess that IW's CoD is going to differentiate itself from AW and BO quite a bit. Possibly going back to one of the WW settings. They've acquired quite a bit of talent since Ghosts releases, so I think Activision is likely more confident in their next game than some thing. For example, they've hired the lead designer of The Last of Us.

Hmm I am sure that will mean the campaign will be a massive upgrade but tbh most of the interest/concern is about the MP which in Ghosts was one of the worst in the series with some truly terrible maps.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Really awesome.

I do hope they add a few new weapons like they've done a few times for AW, Ghosts, and Black Ops II. Game could use some more sidearms.

The dumbest fucking cliffhanger ever. They should just forget that it ever happened.

Honestly. It was so bad It made my face screw up for 5 days, after which I bought Black Ops II and became a Treyarch acolyte.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, this is what the series needs. IW and SHG just can't keep up with Treyarch, they're just not in the same league (especially the PC version). I would much rather give Treyarch money for DLC for the next 2 years than have to buy new games from inferior developers.

vAT3JLU.jpg

ElRenoRaven

That sucks. Hope they don't drop Ghosts. I actually really liked the Campaign of it. I really want to find out what happens next.

RedAssedApe

Banned
have they ever released approximate numbers of how many people actually buy map packs?

i usually don't because i feel like they are overpriced and am fine playing the base game on and off for a year (its more like 6 months as attention span starts to wane).

Xeroblade

I like this idea, I will be skipping next year's cod anyways. Hopefully this will be the norm and we only get a new cod every 2-3 years from Treyarch, those other 2 devs can move on.

Matticers

It would be very smart of Activision and Treyarch to do this but I honestly think it would affect the sales/reception of the next IW game if it happens. The opinion of Ghosts is already very low so if they come out and announce Ghosts 2, how many people are really going to want to jump on that after the previous game? Unless the gameplay is amazing but I don't have confidence in anyone but Treyarch at this point so I wouldn't expect that.

I feel like the only thing that would save the next game is if it's a remaster of the Modern Warfare games. A lot of people still want to play MW and MW2, especially the former. If they update it for this gen and do it right, it could draw a lot of people in. It would also offer something pretty different in comparison to BO3, so you could switch from game to game depending on your mood or what you like.

Duxxy3

This is just activision getting ready for the inevitable weak sales from the IW/Sledgehammer releases.

Bolivar687

Banned
I wonder if this means we'll get the inevitable CoD4 remaster next year, as I can't see them cannibalizing a new games content season with this.

I think Treyarch would also need to release a "Taken King"-like expansion to keep it fresh, as only getting new maps for the same base game might not be sustainable, not really sure how BF goes about it.

So treyarch is better than infinity ward now

Yeah, I was thinking that too, funny to see the praises bestowed upon Infinity Ward now given to the once considered 'B-Team' Treyarch. Weird looking back at the narrative created during the Modern Warfare years, was an exciting time.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Lets not be silly. Since the release of Blops1 which was after the gutting of IW.

You mean since WAW. And let's not forget Big Red one on Xbox/PS2 which was also decent. COD3 was meh compared to COD2, but...it wasn't all bad.

Valkrai

Yeah, I was thinking that too, funny to see the praises bestowed upon Infinity Ward now given to the once considered 'B-Team' Treyarch. Weird looking back at the narrative created during the Modern Warfare years, was an exciting time.

It's definitely funny but I was hoping this would happen since WaW. I loved that game, now it seems like IW is the C-team and Sledgehammer is above them.

I can potentially see this happening. Ghosts sucked so much that it's hard to believe IW would be continuing with that series. Instead I could see IW put out a Modern Warfare Remaster collection with all the Modern Warfare games in one package, remastered and re-balanced for next gen.

While they do that Treyarch continues an extra year of DLC for Blops.

Spy

If the Modern Warfare collection does happen, I don't want any re-balancing. I'd like each game left as it was.

lem0n

This is going to be one of, if not the best, CoD yet, huh. I'm honestly not too hyped (thanks, Fallout) but I already pre-purchased on greenmangaming and I plan on putting in serious hours. I'm just going in pretty blind except having played the Beta.

Stupid Nostradamus prediction:
2015 - Destiny Year 2, 3arc COD
2016 - Destiny 2, 3arc COD Year 2
2017 - Destiny 2 Year 2, IW COD

2017 is also the 10th anniversary of Modern Warfare, and it'd be awfully cute for the schedule to fall into place like that...

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Lets not be silly. Since the release of Blops1 which was after the gutting of IW.

I personally liked them more since World At War. MW2 very nearly killed my interest in the series until Black Ops came out.

But different strokes etc and a lot of the old staff going on to make Titanfall means things turned out good in the end.

They've been better definitely since Black Ops, and better personally since WAW. MW2 just didn't do anything for me.
WAW had awesome campaign coop (the only one until BO3) but its "difficulty" was utter bullshit. These last levels on veteran with infinite spawns for grenade spamming enemies still give me nightmares.

Still, it did that Pacific theater that not enough games do. Like CoD 2 doing Tunisia/Libya.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
WAW had awesome campaign coop (the only one until BO3) but its "difficulty" was utter bullshit. These last levels on veteran with infinite spawns for grenade spamming enemies still give me nightmares.

Still, it did that Pacific theater that not enough games do. Like CoD 2 doing Tunisia/Libya.

I liked how they introduced gore and dismemberment for the more powerful weapons, as well as the flamethrower which just roasted them like Chesnuts. All together, the Russian campaign was a lot more brutal than any of the IW campaigns

BokehKing

Banned
For the love of all that is holy if true....Let Treyarch experiment with one big map with vehicles.......PLEASE!

Kill streaks on a large map would make more sense

Top Bottom