• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Game company kidnapped dev's sister to stop them from working with Nintendo

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Was expecting some sort of trolling or whining thread... wasn't expecting this.

Worst thing is, can definitely believe it all.

Today's console wars look ultra tame in comparison ;)

This story might be new, but sega/yakuza-related stories/rumors have existed for quite a while now. It's very fascinating stuff. Someone should make a movie about it. Directed by Michael Bay.

Does anybody think this could be Sony? They're a Japanese company too, after all. And this story happened about twenty years ago around the time the PlayStation came out......

Most likely not, but you never know.

The Playstation came out more or less that time but so did the Saturn. Sony never did arcades.

[REDACTED] hired some gangsters to do it.

Redacted.jpg

Illucio

Banned
"In Japan, you have these evil companies that always crop up, and unlike the West, in Japan there's a perception that "play" is bad, the opposite of hard work. So amusement-oriented industries inevitably become infested with evil companies and ties to the underworld. Take arcades, for example. In legal terms, they're covered under laws regarding the entertainment and amusement trades. So they're managed under the same laws that regulate the adult, or "pink", industry. Because of that, the underworld gets involved. The only companies that have been able to do business while staying clean are probably Nintendo and Namco."

Is this why Team Rocket's base is located in the basement of the Game Corner?

Instro

Probably SEGA, although I imagine a few arcade companies were not happy with Nintendo controlling the home console market and pulling devs in that direction.

FStop7

Banned
Is this really a rumor if there are first hand quotes from the person who claims to have been involved? It's an accusation.

Miracle

108.gif

Sega making those Yakuza games suddenly make sense!

Than again it's also like saying Rockstar are suspicious because of those GTA games. :p

In Diggin' the carts that in Ep 1 Junko Ozawa said at 5:00 "At the time [early 80s], there were companies that copied games illegally and we were told not to show we were doing development on the company sign. They said that if I told anyone I did development at Namco, I'd be kidnapped and that they'd ask for a new game plan instead of a ransom. I wasn't sure if it was true or a lie"
Though of course that could be the 80s in general given how credits rarely had real names.

Going through the article I had to pause at this point.
I don't know how much you know about [REDACTED]
I was crushed the next 3 words not being "(I'm an expert)" but the fact it ended with
[REDACTED] didn't just lose a lawsuit over this, they completely tarnished their image. Nobody wanted to buy games from a company like that. It became a major social issue. Like this article, about [REDACTED] being sued for the quarantine room and issuing a public apology.
Was like now this sounds really similar

Takao

Banned
Why not just say it is Sega?

How many Japanese game companies had "game machines"? Hudson Soft and NEC?? We know it is not Nintendo. I don't think we need to speculate too much.

In the context of this post that means arcade cabinet. Plenty of Japanese companies made arcade machines. I imagine fewer of them operated their own arcade businesses.

Nintendo actually has a pretty cool past. They made Hanafuda cards, which were basically gambling back then and also ran love hotels.

L Thammy

And I thought Yamauchi was the yakuza. Seriously though, this is in Gizmondo territory in terms of how fucked up it is.

KingJ2002

SEGA does what Nintendon't
thats pretty crazy

Yep... easily Sega.. back then only a few companies had that much clout in the arcade and home space and for them to kidnap someone so they dont go to Nintendo... when the companies has internal issues.

Sega.

(or SNK)

Read the thread title.

Immediately my mind went to "Thats totally Sega"

But these days its probably harder to name a Japanese publisher that doesnt have a bunch of mob connections.

So Sega and Death Row Records were one in the same?

Hmm...interesting...

In Diggin' the carts that in Ep 1 Junko Ozawa said at 5:00 "At the time [early 80s], there were companies that copied games illegally and we were told not to show we were doing development on the company sign. They said that if I told anyone I did development at Namco, I'd be kidnapped and that they'd ask for a new game plan instead of a ransom. I wasn't sure if it was true or a lie"
Though of course that could be the 80s in general given how credits rarely had real names.

Going through the article I had to pause at this point.

I was crushed the next 3 words not being "(I'm an expert)" but the fact it ended with

Was like now this sounds really similar

Well if their words are true then it couldn't of been Sega. Or maybe it was, and that's why MegaDrive wasn't so popular around in Japan (aside from Nintendo's monopoly practices).

Of course they could've just forgotten about it once Saturn came out because that did much better in Japan.

Maou

Nah, Sega would have been seriously attempting to punch above their weight if it were them. The "Sega vs. Nintendo" rivalry never existed in Japan, and Nintendo didn't give a damn about them---they were no threat whatsoever locally, however well they did abroad. The various Sega-run Joypolis game centers are the only interesting angle. But Nintendo wasn't a rival in the arcades, so that's probably bunk.

I'd love it if it were someone odd...like Hudson.

Skelter

Banned
Not only that, they were notorious assholes when it came to preventing developers and publishers from making games for Sega consoles.

No way Nintendo was "clean" back then.

This particular story, if true, is most likely Sega though.

I miss dirty Nintendo.

sörine

Banned
There's another story about Toaplan hiring thugs to intimidate the illegal copier groups in the book. Evidently it was more effective than going after them legally.

The interview subject said this sort of stuff (kidnappings, assaults, threats, etc and usually involving organized crime) was commonplace and pretty much everyone but Namco and Nintendo engaged in it.

Top Bottom