• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Game company kidnapped dev's sister to stop them from working with Nintendo

Funny how only few years later Sega would go out of the making consoles business.
This happened in the 80s. Sega didn't exit the console market until 2001. That's a good bit more than a "few years".

Just sayin'.

Probably Nintendo staged the kidnap to put Sega in bad light
If it were NOA, possibly. They did side w/ Joe Lieberman and other Congressmen to shame Sega and others into essentially creating the ESRB.

Which needed to happen anyhow, but the whole thing could've gone about in a better way.

Akhe

segakiss.gif

The culprit

Beautiful kidnapper

If was Sega, as people are suggesting, this means the dev in question was a double agent in a time where they were still competing on the hardware biz, as it states it was 20 years ago. I honestly find this very unlikely for a Sega dev to secretly work for Nintendo. If he did, then probably he was using a pseudonym.

If I would bet on someone, I would probably put my money on a third-party developer. As the article clearly says it was an arcade maker, a top-notch japanese developer and excludes Namco. SNK wasn't really that big to be considered top-notch, so I don't think that fits. Enix and Square, besides their split with Nintendo, weren't invested into arcades.

I would certainly bet on Konami or Capcom on this. Capcom would be my most certain guess. Konami still had some ties with Nintendo, even after the Nintendo-Square split which sparked a mass japanese third-party exodus. They managed to develop some games for both GB/GBC and N64. If was Konami, then was probably someone from the MGS, Suikoden, DDR or Silent Hill team, which never made anything for Nintendo by that time.

Capcom, on the other hand, almost completely dropped support for a time for any Nintendo platform, for very odd reasons, when they had very strong identification with them. Capcom planned to release some games for N64 and never said anything again about that. They only managed to release a Tetris game and two very late ports of Resident Evil 2 (which was outsourced) and Megaman Legends. Nintendo never got a single arcade port from Capcom either, which was very strange.

I may be completely wrong and making wild guesses, but let's wait and see.

choodi

Banned
nintendolife.com claim they were able to "verify such claims and are aware of the identity of the company in question and the person being interviewed, but like Szczepaniak we are withholding names as not doing so could trigger legal action."

More details here: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ister_to_stop_them_from_working_with_nintendo

What a load of bullshit.

I also independently verified that aliens exist and they are using anal probes to look for tasty treats, but you know, I can't say anything to protect the guilty.

If it's true, legal action is not a problem.

sörine

Banned
Anonymous sources talking about old crimes by anonymous perpetrators, as recounted to author by person with a pseudonym?
The writer knows the source's name and met with him in person. The pseudonym was actually the writer's idea so he could publish the interview.

If was Sega, as people are suggesting, this means the dev in question was a double agent in a time where they were still competing on the hardware biz, as it states it was 20 years ago. I honestly find this very unlikely for a Sega dev to secretly work for Nintendo. If he did, then probably he was using a pseudonym.

If I would bet on someone, I would probably put my money on a third-party developer. As the article clearly says it was an arcade maker, a top-notch japanese developer and excludes Namco. SNK wasn't really that big to be considered top-notch, so I don't think that fits. Enix and Square, besides their split with Nintendo, weren't invested into arcades.

I would certainly bet on Konami or Capcom on this. Capcom would be my most certain guess. Konami still had some ties with Nintendo, even after the Nintendo-Square split which sparked a mass japanese third-party exodus. They managed to develop some games for both GB/GBC and N64. If was Konami, then was probably someone from the MGS, Suikoden, DDR or Silent Hill team, which never made anything for Nintendo by that time.

Capcom, on the other hand, almost completely dropped support for a time for any Nintendo platform, for very odd reasons, when they had very strong identification with them. Capcom planned to release some games for N64 and never said anything again about that. They only managed to release a Tetris game and two very late ports of Resident Evil 2 (which was outsourced) and Megaman Legends. Nintendo never got a single arcade port from Capcom either, which was very strange.

Actually, this is very plausible. How Capcom more or less switched from Nintendo's bed to Sony's isn't that much different than other Japanese devs at the time. But to then also more or less cozy up with Sega almost as well (and depending on your gaming preferences, more than) Sony? When that wasn't the case just years prior?

Yeah. Suddenly Capcom seems much more likely as the culprit. Besides Sega, Namco and SNK they're really the only other dev at the time with major clout in the arcade scene. And circumstantial evidence points towards them now that I think about it.

Jonnyram

Your reasoning makes a lot of sense. To add even more fuel to this, it's worth considering locations. Capcom HQ is in Osaka, Nintendo's in Kyoto. The two companies are geographically close, so this story makes more sense. Sega vs Nintendo, not so much, because it's a long damned way to Tokyo. Also the Yakuza grip in Osaka is insane. Way deeper than Tokyo, I believe.

Sterok

The only reason Nintendo is supposedly clean is because their ninjas are too good to leave any evidence behind.

I always did think Japan would not be afraid to go hardcore on this kind of stuff. If they're going to take something seriously, they'll take it all the way.

Lego Boss

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but l'm doing research into 80s gaming in Japan with a special accent on CAPCOM and am reading Sczzepaniak's book. I know about the links to Yakuza in Japan, but was never aware of this.

Was any of this ever verified? I have a tendency to lean towards SNKSEGA but CAPCOM just seen to be big enough to fit the bill.

Of course l will do my own research but if there's anything else to add, it would be good to hear.

Top Bottom